DK2FS Dinky Firestorm Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 08/31/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DK2FS Dinky Firestorm
I play a quite wide variety of genre, and it fits everything well, the only thing is that the bridge pick up is a little bit too strong for classical music. But I mainly bought this guitar to play Metal and it fits perfectly.
 8.5
 9.6
 7.4
review (1) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
DK2FS Dinky Firestorm Reviewed by: Heideck, on august 31, 2012

Price paid: C$ 499.99

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: This is a 2005 or 2006 Jackson, made in Japan. - 24 jumbo frets - 25.5 scale - Rosewood fretboard - Non-locking tuners - Locking nuts - Nice Orange Flamed Top - Superstrat body style - Floyd Rose licensed bridge - HSS Duncan Designed all - Volume knob, Tone Knob and Boost knob. - 5 way selector switch and the Boost switch. It came with a very nice gig bag, lot of padding in it. This guitar is beautiful. Even if it is used, it looks completely new. The neck is made of maple and the body of alder. The wood is from good quality. I didn't had any problem with the floyd rose yet (is was the only thing I was scared about because it's not an original) and it makes now 2 months I own it. // 9

Sound: I mainly playing Metal and instrumental rock, so artists like Satch, Vai, Gilbert but also Death, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Possessed, Death Angel, Motley Crue, Van Halen... So I play a quite wide variety of genre because I also play some jazz, blues and even classical music. It fits everything well, the only thing is that the bridge pick up is a little bit too strong for classical music. But I mainly bought this guitar to play Metal and it fits perfectly. I'll change the pick ups for some a little more powerful but it can wait because they are very nice (the stock ones). Mainly playing through a Peavey JSX with a Boss Metal Zone. I just love it. No noise at all, the boost is very very nice also. Give you everything you need. The AC/DC lovers will love that boost, you can really get the 70s rock tone. You can also have a lot of fun doing crazy noise with the floyd. The pinch harmonics are coming like butter. For 500$, I could not find any better, the pick ups are very nice and give a very nice sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Because it was used, I'll review it from how it was when I bought it. The action was perfect for me: low. Pick ups were perfectly adjusted and no flaws at all. I opened it and all the wires are well filed. The finish is gorgeous, the wood is from good quality, the pick up selector makes no noise. Everything was perfect except the switch for the boost. But it took me 10 seconds to fix it, so no big deal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It has withstand live playing once and everything looks solid. The hardware seems like it will continue to last event if it's a 6-7 year old guitar. The strap buttons are big and very solid, not afraid that the strap will fall. The guitar is medium-light weight. I'm depending on it right now, my Ibanez is in reparation and my back up is a Strat copy from Jay Turser so I don't really have a back up. I don't recommend it because string changing with a floyd rose is a minimum of 15 minutes. As I said be fore, this guitar is 6-7 years old and the finish look new, so I think it'll last for a long time, the previous owner took really care of his/her guitar. Also, you need a back up if you have different tunings that you use. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm amazed by the guitar. For the price I paid, it was a steal, the best 500$ I ever paid for something. It now makes 6 years that I play and I love guitar. This guitar suit me very very well. If it was lost, I would buy another again without hesitation, it's so comfortable, the boost is unique and very nice. There's nothing I hate and I love everything, I would have just prefer an original floyd rose instead of the licensed, but it's doing a good JB right now. I compared it to the RG350, the S570, a couple of LTD's, a Shecter Hellraiser and some lower en Jackson. All guitar of same price or a bit under (or over for the S570) and the Jackson Dinky Firestorm is way better than all of them, the only one close was the S570 but is was 150$ more expensive. It's a great guitar. I was planing to buy other guitar (like a JEM), but I'll upgrade this one before, because I just love it. If you have any question about this guitar, don't hesitate. I would recommend it to anyone who plays classic rock to Death Metal. It's sure that you might need to change the pick ups. For jazz and blues, as I said before, you might want to change the bridge pick up, but you might love the boost. A very great guitar if you can have it for the right price. // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ Mark Morton Dominion D2 8 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014