DK2M Dinky Pro Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 04/06/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DK2M Dinky Pro
It features an alder body with flame a maple veneer on the transparent finishes, and a bolt-on maple neck with an ultra-comfortable and fast, compound-radius maple fingerboard. It's loaded with Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups for huge tone, a Jackson low profile double locking tremolo, and black hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 9.1
reviews (13) pictures (5) 103 comments vote for this gear:
DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 10, 2006

Purchased from: New Music

Features: New for '06, made in Japan, cobalt blue bolt-on neck DK2M maple fingerboard with compound 14" to 16" radius, alder body. Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N humbucking pickup in the neck, Seymour Duncan JB TB4 humbucking pickup in the bridge. Jackson 6-in-line pointed headstock, compound (14" to 16") fingerboard radius, black delrin shark fin position inlays, black binding on neck and headstock, natural headstock with black jackson logo. Master volume, master tone, floyd rose licensed Jackson low profile JT580 LP double locking 2-point tremolo, pickup switching 3-position blade. // 9

Sound: Jackons are metal, I like to play all kinds of metal, from Scorps to Slayer. Played through Crate Excaliber 90 watt head and 4X12 cab or Marshall practice amps, DS1, Multichorus, Death Metal. Love the pickups, I have the same set up in another Jackson and I put a set in my friends Jackson, the necks is really warm and the bridge is very bright. Pick harmonics are center of the pickups. The neck is fast. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Fit and finish is great, no flaws, paint job is beautiful. The volume nut was loose, took me 10 seconds to tighten. The guitar store set it up and used DR '9s. I like the action, very nice piece. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish seems pretty durable, I know a lot of people the play Japanese Jacksons live and I haven't heard any bad things. I tuned both my DK2 and my DK2M once and havent had to touch them. // 10

Overall Impression: I would like a USA through body but cant justify spending $2000 when I can buy this really great guitar for $450. The maple fingerboard with black sharkfin inlays is so cool. It's looks good next to my DK2 and Dinky HardTail. This guitar souds and plays great. // 10

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: GAK

Sound: People that say this is a metal guitar are just jealous and are trying to put you off buying it. Yep it's good for metal, but with a clean sound it gives better speedy jazz scales and licks(summertime, nature boy, take five, girl from ipanema). Any corny pop chord progressions can also be created really easily with the neck pickup eg. matchbox 20, saybia, Live, Snow Patrol, Coldplay. I play it through a AVT150w Marshall or Washburn Bad Dog, not the best amps but it still delivers great tone(that's what counts). The bridge pickup could be slightly hotter (high pitch squeels are hard to reach) so if you love Jimi Hendrix, look elsewhere. I may change it for an EMG-81. This guitar sounds great for dire straits, Rise Against, White Stripes, Alter Bridge, Metallica (...And Justice For All), Franz Ferdinand. If you want a cheap alternative to a Gibson this is great. any kind of harmonics come as easily as regular playing on this axe. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came in great condition, eventually (I had to wait 2 months because the jacksons were sold out or sumin stupid like that, but it was worth every minute). I had to adjust the bridge slightly because the bass strings were thick and buzzed a bit, but that only took about 2 minutes and most of that time was to find the screwdriver. The first fret had a couple of small scratches but after a week of constant playing it's invisible. one of the tone knobs came loose after a bit too, but that was a 20 second job because I had the trusty screwdriver close at hand from previously. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will indefinately outlive me and all my future generations. Nothing can destroy this guitar except itself. One must always arm oneself with a backup guitar, but if it ever decided to slip into a deep sleep, I would probably replace it with the closest H-S-S equivilent or one of its EMG siblings. // 9

Overall Impression: I love the neck humbucker and the maple neck with easy harmonics. I hate the tone control (it has no strength unless you lower the master volume too, which sucks because you lose your effect volume (e.g. the grit in distortion) but that's pretty much all I hate, and that can be changed easily. The only other thing that slightly annoys me is the fact that it's bolt-on, I think it might miss out on some valuble sustain, but still a lot better then similarlly priced contenders I played eg. Epiphone les pauls, Squier Espirits and ESP Vipers. I've been playing 5 years (2 years of classical training) and played in 4 or 5 largish concerts as lead and rhythm. I have not played many great guitars but have played my fair share of crap guitars, and I can safely say, this is true music to my ears after the trash I've had to endure. I've not given a '10' before because I'm very pesimistic. so I'll give a '10' now because I'm so chuffed with this guitar. // 10

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: sgplayer69, on july 07, 2007

Features: First of all what an amazing guitar. It's Japanese and is amazing quality. I have played strats and gibsons thousands more than this guitar and I would choose this hands down. It has 24 frets with a 25 1/2 scale and jumbo frets with a maple neck. The maple really adds that punch needed for killer riffing madness. it's just a solid top that fits your body like a glove. I have found this style to be extremely comfortable and could play for hours apon end with no discomfort. The tremolo is a licensed Floyd Rose and stays in tune very nicely. My only complaint about this is that if you dive bomb like crazy about ten or so times it goes out of tune just slightly. Make sure before you lock the neck, just stretch your strings and tune again because this helps alot. I will probably replace it with an original floyd once I have money to spend. I got a roadrunner case that is fit all and it fits it well as it doesn't fit in most molded caes because of the headstock. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my music style on every level. I play literally everything except country and classical and I can emulate every tone. The tone and volume knobs are very effective. I use the Line 6 spider II 75 watt amp and a 95Q wah and it suits my main style hard rock/metal. This guitar has a lot of variety and every tone can come out of it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up near perfect with dead on intonation. I set the action just a little bit lower to suit my playing style but I'm sure that it would be suitable for most guitar players. Everything about the neck was amazing the frets were perfect and just the right size for me. Jackson has a slightly curved fretboard that flattens out but you can hardly tell this and this is good for chording and tremolo picking is very easy to do because of the tremolo spacing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would do amazingly live, but you should always have a backup. The hardware is very good and seems like it would last for a long time but I use it heavily and it seems solid. I replaced the strap buttons with shaller straplocks and they always come loose but I fixed it with wood glue and toothpicks. The finish seems really good but I got it in black and it really shows fingerprints which is usual. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and metal and this suits it really well, but I also play blues, jazz, and other styles and it easily conquers those tasks. It has an alder body which doesn't have the fullness of a les paul but I don't care everything else are features that I would have much more than a les paul. If this guitar was stolen I would put up posters and a reward but I might save up and buy a soloist. My favorite feature has to be the Seymour Duncan pickups the jazz and jb suit my need very well. I compared it to the american Strat and I just like the features of this one more and it better suits my playing style. Overall an excellent piece of Jackson manufacturing. // 9

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Sonicxlover, on october 22, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Playability-wise, the DK2M Dinky is so awesome. I've played and owned tons of other guitars. Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, Ibanezes, and everything inbetween. But no other guitar I've played comes close to the Dinky in terms of how well it plays. The key to this is really how the neck is set up. The lower frets are farther apart to allow for easy chordal and rhythm playing. But the trick is that unlike most other guitars, Jackson wisely decided it would be a good idea to make the higher frets closer together. Because of this, soloing is made easy. No wonder why shredders love Jacksons. The body style is very similar to a Strat's. It's got 24 frets (another awesome feature). The guitar also looks awesome. Mine's in snow white, and tons of people always tell me how awesome my guitar looks (I'm also a fan of the pointy headstock, haha). The pickups are two Seymour Duncan humbuckers (passive), and it has three positions. Three knobs: one for volume, two tones for each pickup. Plus, it comes complete with a nifty Floyd Rose, which I've been known to abuse. // 9

Sound: This guitar is mainly built for metal, as you can probably tell by the look and design. And this guitar does that very well. Good and beefy for rhythm, although you could probably find a better guitar if rhythm is your main thing. It's even better for soloing, and at a price like this, you'd be hard pressed to find a guitar that gets better tones for leads. The Seymour Duncan humbuckers on this guitar are great. Oddly enough, I often use the bridge pickup for rhythm, and the neck for soloing (for most people, it's the other way around). The reason for this is that neck pickup is very smooth for soloing (I will only sweep on the neck pickup), and the bridge pickup packs a great, trebly punch for chord playing. However, I'm not a fan of the middle position. To me, it just sounds bland and uninspiring. While this guitar is definitely made with metal in mind, it shines for any genre you want to play. I also use it for blues and rock playing, and for this reason the Dinky is my main guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up by Sam Ash, and it was set up at the point where I could just plug in and rip. The action was a bit high, but weirdly enough, I like high action. However, some other people might complain about that, as shredders generally prefer low action. The job done on this guitar was amazing. The frets were finished beautifully, and I've had no problem with those. On other guitars, I've scratched myself on unfinished frets jutting out of the side of the fretboard, but that will not happen with this guitar. The wood sounds great and resonates well. This is a guitar that gets great sustain, partly because of the locking nut. The nut can be quite a nuisance, as you'd normally have to constantly unscrew the nut, tune, and rescrew. This is where the fine tuners come into play. You can refine your tuning without even thinking about it, just by tightening or loosening the screws. You just have to reset them every once in a while. Dinkies are complete with a Floyd Rose tremelo, which is awesome for dive bombs as well as the ability to pull up. However, as everyone knows, the floating bridge makes changing strings hell if you don't know how. I avoided changing my strings for months past their experation date, because I'd had no experience with the Floyd Rose. That's my one complaint, but once you learn how to change the strings, it shouldn't pose too much of a problem. This guitar just looks so cool, and you won't be disappoined with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for four months now, and so far it's held up beautifully. In fact, I can't think of any difference from the day I bought it. It's a solid guitar that can take anything you throw at it, as heavily and frequently as you want to play it. However, since I've only had this guitar for a few months, I feel it's wrong to rate this guitar on how long it'll hold up. So please disregard my rating. // 9

Overall Impression: I saved up a while for this guitar. I kind of took a leap Faith with this guitar, as I'd never played it before buying it, but all the reviews I'd seen were extremely positive. It turned out to be the right move, as I love this guitar, and it's still my go-to guitar. The main reason I love it so much is because, well, I feel like it's made for me. Its playability is so fantastic, and it's awesome for shredding as well as other genres. I just feel like it was made to be played. If it were stolen, I'd probably cry for a while, and then try to save up for a new one. I just can't Live without it. It's unlike any other guitar I've played, and for $600-700, there is no other guitar like it in it's price range. In fact, it beats a lot of guitars above it's price range. I just can't say enough about it. If you don't believe me, go you to your nearest guitar store and try one out. Trust me, you won't regret it. // 9

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: inethacker, on october 27, 2008

Features: Body: alder. Neck: rock maple with scarf joint. Fingerboard: maple with 14-inch to 16-inch compound radius. Number of frets: 24. Fret size: jumbo. Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB humbucker. Neck pickup: Seymour Duncan SH-2n humbucker. Controls: master volume, master tone. Bridge: Jackson licensed Floyd Rose tremolo. Pickup switching: 3-position toggle: bridge pickup, bridge and neck pickup, neck pickup. Hardware: black. Scale length: 25.5 in. Width at nut: 1-11/16 in. With all these specs, I believe there are 2 worth emphasis: the Floyd Rose trem and the locking nut. It is incredible how far I can dive with the whammy bar and still stay in tune (I know a few of you reading are going to say, yeah but that's just engineering, it's on plenty of other guitars, and yes you're right). I love the resonance I get out of it (even while diving). The neck is very thin, which is great for shredding. I really couldn't believe easy it was to play on this guitar! Just so you can see what I'm talking about, I was playing Enter Sandman on a Gibson Les Paul Studio, so you could imagine how big the neck was that I was used to playing on. The scalloped heel is great for when you want to reach the frets passed about 20 or so. Two final things that were great: the neck is extremely slick and the strings are very close to the neck; this is great for playing some quick solos or anything of the sort. // 10

Sound: So I've been playing for about 5 years and just recently started getting into heavier metal (mostly because now I can play it). The sound of this DK2M is not as versatile as some other guitars, but if you're playing metal, this guitar has every sound you could imagine, If you use the right tone and pickup. I'm using a 150-watt Line 6 Spider III amp so I have a few effects to mess around with. I've taken the distorted and clean tones from Metallica, and they sound great. I even played Mastadon on this guitar and with the right settings it sounded perfect! And if you don't want just cranked distortion, you don't have to change amp settings, simply turn down the volume on the guitar. I went from playing Master of Puppets to Back in Black by simply adjusting the volume on my guitar (admittedly a few other tones on the amp, but that was just to sound like Angus Young). I know a lot of people say this is simply a metal guitar, but I think it's more for just any rock in general. One thing that really impressed me the most is that while my amp was cranked (and I sit about 2 feet away from it, facing the amp) there was NO noise. None at all. I thought that was the greatest thing to have coupled with the amount of distortion that I had on. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I really can't say much for assembly in the factory since I bought mine off the floor. But from the as a floor model, the guitar was in pretty good condition. It had a small ding in the neck near the nut, which kinda pissed me off, but isn't the fault of the factory assembly. The volume knob was a little loose, so I had to tighten it down (I'm assuming that's from factory since people don't really come into a guitar store and start pulling on knobs). However, other than that, it was perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I really can't say anything on reliability, since I haven't taken it anywhere yet. However, the associate at Guitar Center told me that the guitar has been on the floor for 4 months. So, taking from the, the very little wear on the guitar from being in an environment like that really speaks to its durability. The white body is great for hiding any kind of blemishes or anything (that's why I didn't get the black one). // 9

Overall Impression: From playing mostly metal, I can say this is the guitar you want to buy if you're on a lower budget. Sure there are others out there for metal, but my price range was anything under $700 (that's what my Preferred Player Card was approved for:D). Every kind I looked at under $700 either felt like a piece of crap in my hands (necks were not slick, pickups sounded bad, or a lot of noise with the amp) and once I picked this guitar up I knew this was the one I was going to get. Yes I know it sounds cheesy, but I originally set into the store to buy an ESP, so that tells you something when you can pick up some guitar and just know that's what you're going to get. // 10

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Luke-Dec, on april 06, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in Japan, 24 frets, thin neck, maple neck and fretboard, black, Strat style, floyd rose, 3 way selector, Seymour Duncan pickups, locking nuts, came with a hard case. // 7

Sound: It sounds very nice, on clean tones and heavy tones, pretty hard to make pinch harmonics but that's probably just me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is too high, and when I try lower it I get a fret buzz on the high e string:(that's why I rate it only a 7 because I can't play it, but when I manage to get a good sound out of it, its awesome. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's seems sturdy, strap buttons are pretty solid, I wont be using it in a gig until I sort the action out. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of different types of music, and it covers them all pretty good through my Fender Mustang II amp. I LOVE how it looks, and HATE the action, I hope if you get your Jackson DK2M its better set up than mine, if someone stole it I'd buy one with a good set up. // 7

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Anonymouslyours, on july 10, 2008

Features: The model I got was snow white. It looks beautiful. This baby was made in Japan and it's got 24 nice big jumbo frets on a maple neck and fretboard. The neck is "compound radius" (whatever that means) all I know is the neck is awesome and fast. It's 25-1/2" scale with a 1-11/16" locking nut and a licensed Floyd Rose. Alder body, kinda superstrat style. Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB humbucker set. One volume knob, one tone, 3-way switch. There's a nice pretty black binding around the neck and black sharktooth inlays. The scallops on the body near the neck and the body contours make this guitar extremely comfortable. // 10

Sound: Well I play a lot of metalish stuff, and I know I'll probably get flammed for this but I like some pop rock too. This guitar is pretty versatile, thanks to the Duncans. I'm no pro so I'm running it through a 75 watt Line 6 Spider III. Not really noisy at all. The Jazz humbucker is a little too warm and not at bright as I'd want it but that's just personal preference. The JB for me is perfect, with nice clean highs. Once again, it can handle a lot of genres. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly from the factory, with the exception that the neck pickup looked like it was real loose and about to fall out, but that was easily fixed. The bridge was intonated and leveled, and the action was perfect. The wiring seems to be fine. Only a couple of flaws literally, the bridge cavity's outline looks rough and iffy, and the black neck binding seems to have flaked or worn off at certain parts on the actual fretboard side, but maybe that's just what happens when you buy a floor model. Otherwise it was pretty much perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well I've never gigged before, last band broke up before we even got the chance, so I don't have much to say about that aspect. Nevertheless the guitar is very durable. The hardware seems pretty durable. The finish seems pretty durable too. I've banged it a couple of times here and there and not a scratch or dent in sight, meaning the guitar has a whole is durable. I put in a DiMarzio ClipLok strap as soon as I got it so I dunno about the strap buttons, but they were probably pretty durable. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is pretty versatile for almost any genre. I've been playing for almost two years and this is probably the best thing I've ever had the pleasure of placing on my lap. I tryed out a couple of Ibanezes and some other guitars around this price and this one beat them all hands down. I wish I'd tried to haggle for the hardshell case, but for some reason I didn't bother, now I'm stuck with a padded roadrunner gig bag for this beauty. If it were lost or stolen I'd look around for something else but probably wouldn't find anything as awesome as this for the price, or anything thatd fit my tastes (I have a thing for white guitars with maple necks) The only thing I wish for is that it had an original Floyd Rose on it, but at this price it's still a steal. // 10

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2008

Price paid: € 599

Purchased from: Tonika Music Groningen

Features: I have a great instrument. A 24 fret shred monster! Well it's all in the players hands really. This is a guitar to grow into and keep growing. I don't think I'll ever outgrow this guitar, unlike I did my last one. // 9

Sound: I play anything between death metal and slow blues on this guitar. I would say it isn't made for clean sounds. But again, it's all in your hands. I use a Behringer V-Ampire amp, its rectified distortion makes a great combination with this guitar. I have no problem creating a monsterly distorted tone, wile still keeping definition. The pickups are a bit noisy, but that's mostly the refresh from my PC monitor. So in the variety department it isn't really versatile, best suited for metal, hardrock, and I'd like to say blues too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was perfect, strings ready for shredding. I noticed the Floyd Rose springs making noise as I play, so I had to dampen them myself. Also, someone at the Jackson Factory could have picked up a screwdriver to tighten the screws in the tone and volume knobs. Would have saved me 2 minutes of time. The body and finish are both perfect. Expertly shaped body and neck with a smooth thin neck. The body finish came unflawed (and after a year of intensive use still is). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand Live playing? Yes. This guitar can take a beating, and it has. I love this guitar, and I love playing it, hard! With suprising few stringbreaks it surpassed all my expectations. I've never had to tighten the strap buttons. And I'd take it to a gig without backup. The only thing negative I have noticed is that the black plastic lining the neck pickup has snapped, and now a piece of it is loose, I'll fix that with some glue after this. // 9

Overall Impression: I've played for six years now. This is a perfect match with The Music I play (if I really need a good blues tone I'll pick up my Richwood Stratocaster. I love it's looks! I hate black metal guitars, their so boring! This white beauty will soak up the spotlight, leaving any other musicians with black instruments on stage, in the blackness of your shade. When I bought this, I was in the market for a guitar in the 400 to 600 euro pricerange. I compared it to Ibanezzes and Deans with metal and shredding in mind. This Jackson blew the competition straight out of the water. There is always a better guitar I think, like a signature Ernie Ball or Dean. But not in this price range, I think. So it's cool! // 9

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Psykopaten123, on september 04, 2008

Features: I don't really know when this was made, but I bought it on 25 of august 2008 retail. It's made in Japan and features a 24 jumbo fret, very fast neck where both fretboard and neck is made out of maple. If I'm not mistaken it's thinner than my RG350DX. It's a solid piece alder body with a black finish. It's got a licensed Jackson JT580 bridge (Floyd Rose), 2 knobs (vol and tone), 3 way pickup selector for the two humbucker Seymour duncans (both passive). I think the tuners are Jackson made and it's double locking because of the Floyd. // 10

Sound: I play almost everything and I've still not managed to not get a tone I want. I can play anything from clean chords to brutal metal. I run it either trough my Vox AD50VT 212 amp or my Line 6 TonePort UX1 with the Gearbox software. With the right settings, this baby screams loud and proud! The HBers are not noisy at all, a little bit when you really crank the distortion but nothing you'll bother with. Since there is 2 humbuckers and the selector goes between "bride, bride-neck and neck" you can tweak almost anything out, variety ftw! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came pretty good set-up. I had to tune it, but the action was perfectly low. I had to level the Floyd Rose aswell, took me 30mins and then I haven't changed a bit since. Everything seems to be in order on this guitar, I haven't noticed anything bad on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Jacksons are made to be slaughterd on stage, that's for sure. I would play without a backup if I had to, but it's always safe to have a backup. The hardware seems like it will last for ever. No problems with the strap buttons either, rock solid as the rest of the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 1, 5 years and this guitar won't be sold for anything right now. When it comes to me, this guitar KICKS THE LIVING SH*T out of my Ibanez RG350, and I paid only a 100 bucks more for the Jackson. If it were stolen, I would track down the bastard and make HIM suffer big time, I'm serious about that. I love that it is so easily played, fast neck and everything. The only thing is that it's a little hard to reach the highest frets on the "bas-strings". But no biggie, if you really want it you can do it! I have owned an Ibanez RG350, and played several other guitars in the same price range, but this Jackson takes the price. I will NEVER EVER sell this guitar. It's one of the best I've played (for the price, as I said; ) ) // 9

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Iron Rocket, on january 14, 2009

Purchased from: Sims music

Features: IT is an awesome guitar. it is an 07 model made in japan but this guitar is US quality. it's has 24 frets the neck is thin and great for sweep picking, and yes it is maple. The fretboard is also maple, Solid body. Black Paint it almost has a mirror look to it. It is a Dinky, it is also very light.It has a Floyd Rose double locking low profile tremolo.it has 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3 way selector Switch. it has Seymour Duncans JB in the bridge and a jazz in the neck, Jackson locking tuners. And it comes with a bar set of strings a cloth and an alan wrench. // 10

Sound: It is amazing for metal classic through Hardcore, and great for shred. I'm using a Peavey 112 studio pro, a Bad monkey and a Dunlop Crybaby. It isnt very noisey unless the volume on the amp is turned up to 5 or more but if the volume on the guitar is all the way up just turn it down just a little bit. Chunky heavy low riffs and great fluid solo's. it also has a classic rock tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: great and the speed is awesome. The pickups are amazing duncans are sweet the pickup ups have a ton of tone. Everything was perfect on the guitar, there were no flaws. It was perfect the guys at sims are great if you buy a guitar in SC get it from them. They put there heart and soul into the guitars, and the only sell the best. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It could be thrown off a mountain and still would be in tune. The hardware is durable and will last a long time. The strap buttons are very solid. I can depend on it, but a string I don't so I'll bring my back up guitar incase of a string break. And yes the finnish is very good and strong. // 10

Overall Impression: I play thrash and shred so it matches my style perfectly. I've been playing over 4 years and and I have a Peavey, Yeah there are no questions I'd have asked Buy This guitar again you go jacson you don't go back.I'd did compared it to the dk2, RR3, and Ibanez RG roadrage. And it was everything I ever wanted. No it has aeverything I wanted. // 10

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Philly C, on may 08, 2009

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I got this guitar used, the original owner got it in 2006, it is a japanese made instrument. It has a 24 fret rock maple neck with black Shark fin inlays, the neck is realy wide, this is my second guitar. Before I had a Squire Bullet and this blows that out of the water. The Bullet is a Strat variant with a smaller neck, it is designed for younger players with smaller hands. I got that when I was 10 and decided to trade up, I am 17 now. When I wanted a guitar I was looking for Floyd Rose, (check) a locking nut (check) a sweet body style (check) atleast one humbucking pickup (a big check) and a Mega wide neck (check) plus I wanted a brand I could trust. I had narrowed it down to two choices, the Fender Jaguar HH and a Jackson Dinky, I wasn't sure which model. But this one over the Jag was no contest when I scoped out the necks. The humbuckers are NOT EMG that is another thing I did not want. I love the active sound (my bass has active pickups) you get a very versitile and rich sound. And if I am not mistaken several Schecters and Jackson Soloists have EMG's I wanted passive humbuckers because of batteries I don't want my sound deteriorating over time, I have noticed this with several pieces of my gear that run off of batteries. The dual humbuckers sound GREAT! // 9

Sound: The tone from this guitar is phenominal, I can't see a big difference between the middle setting and the far front setting, they are verry similar, I kkep mine on the back setting because of the growl you get from the bridge humbucker. People say this guitar isnt versatile, that it is just a metal guitar... But I mostly play it clean and it sounds great, it is just comfortable, it looks good it sounds good it is reliable, I got this guitar off craigslist got it for $400 half guitar center prices (guitar center lists them at $650 but after tax and a case and all that good stuff, a stand and a cable, you are lookin at around $800+) my point is that it hasn't gone out of tune yet and I got it early february... I play it 6-7 hours every day. I check the tuning every morning with a Korg electric tuner and it is spot on every day and it sounds great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar there were three things wrong with it... First off it needs, and still does need, a truss rod adjustment, what this means is there is a dead note on the high 'E' string at the low 'F' note, there was also an aftermarket action adjustment made by the original owner and there was extremely minor oxidation on the tremolo, everything else was great, keep in mind these are very minor problems that are easily repaired with an alan wrench or a trip to a music store. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a workhorse, nothing about it is flimsy, course I would use it on a gig without a backup, the jack is tough, the tremolo is sturdy, the nut is built like a tank and the body is just solid! The electronics are wired well, I haven't had any issues while playing except one minor minor minor thing, when you turn the volume and tone knobs while playing you get a quiet crackling sound. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal hard rock alternative rock classic rock and regrettably christian rock (community service don't ask) and this guitar rocks for all of these generes it is a very forgiving and easy to play guitar, I get so relaxed playing I learly fall asleep, my hands don't cramp up, it dozent jab or poke whenever you lean over it or hold it, I can get every tone I want from it and it LOOKS RAD! My guitar is jet black, all but the white maple neck with the black sharkfin inlays. I play it with a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp for a very unique tone, other times I play with a massive 100 watt Carvin amplifier with a Carvin cabinet with 4 15 inch speakers, I record with that one, but I practice and do small gigs with the bass amb because I don't need a forklift and a team of movers to shift it. Efects wise I use Boss pedals such as the Boss Digital Delay or DD-3 I also have the DD-2 I don't know what the diference is, realy, I use the Boss Metal Zone as well, that is what I get some of my better tones out of, I also use a Boss equilizer. Though one of my favorite efects is the Electro harmonics Metal Muff, I primarily use it for getting a grungy bass tone but you can also get an over the top classic rock tone with it, or if you turn all the knobs down low you get a good blues tone. // 10

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: JHC_DOH, on june 03, 2010

Features: 2008 or 2009. Made in Japan. I got it with some beat up Kramer case. Has the JT-580 Licensed Floyd Rose an Alder body, Maple neck and Fret board. Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz. Volume, Tone, and 3 way switch. Gloss black body. I put skull knobs on it cause I'm tacky. Looks boss, ked. // 8

Sound: Suits my styles well, I play Thrashcore and death metal. I use this with my 5150 ii, and it is very bright. I feel that the Jazz pickup sounds really glassy. It has a single coil kind of sound to it. I swaped it for a '59 and it sounds much better. As for versitility (sp?), if you're buying a Jackson at this price point, you probably play hard rock/metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Bought it used. The only flaw on mine is poor fretwork from the 12th fret up, they kind of hang over the edge. 179 more characters? Damn. Ummm... It's black. The bridge sits fine I don't know what it was like from the factory, though. It stays in tune well, I wish they sold the JT-580 as an aftermarket bridge, I'd put it on another guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't gig without a backup just because it has a floyd. Stays in tune very well, though. The strap buttons are HUGE, there is no way this thing is falling off of the strap. I'll probably put strap locks on it just in case though. Being about 1 year old, the frets show very little wear. You can barely make out the buckle rash on the back. The floyd is getting really gross, though. The // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style fairly well. The alder gives a real bright sound (especially paired with a floyd and a maple neck and fretboard.) If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably go for the DK2, because although the maple fretboard LOOKS totally awesome, I really prefer the sound of rosewood (at least for metal). With black binding pointy headstock, floyd rose, it definetly has the metal look. The neck is real thin and flat and great for playing fast. // 8

DK2M Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Junior#1, on june 16, 2010

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Long & McQuade Music

Features: This is one bad-ass guitar. The 06 Japan-made DK2M Dinky Pro features 24 jumbo frets on a maple neck bolted on to an alder body. With the locking nut, excellent dives can be done with the Floyd Rose licensed trem while staying in tune. It has the basic master volume and tone knobs and a 3-way selector with EMG's (at least that's how mine was(both neck and bridge). Mine was a blue painted bengal DK2M instead of the more common solid color. // 10

Sound: This is one of the best guitars I've ever played. Very easy to play. Very fast. It feels like my fingers just glide over the frets perfectly. I get a very full sound. Since I'm primarily a progressive metal guitarist, I play a lot of faster, complex riffs and this guitar make them easier. Not to mention that the Floyd Rose can be used to make some great sounds without going out of tune. Basically if you play metal, this guitar will be an amazing choice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as I can tell (and I've looked over it pretty thoroughly) there is nothing wrong with how it was assemble or any of the parts used. The neck is perfectly set in the body, everything is exactly where it should be, the action is great, it's virtually flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable. I've used it in many gigs, most of which I didn't bring a backup, and I haven't had any problems. It's well finished and mine doesn't have so much as a scratch on it. After a couple years of playing it, it still looks just as good as it did when I got it. The strap buttons are solid in the body and can easily support the guitar. This guitar will serve you well for years. // 10

Overall Impression: For metal, you won't have a complete collection without this guitar. It was made for metal. Compared to my Ibanez RG170 and G10, my B.C. Rich Virgin and Warlock, my Washburn WG587 7-string, my Ovation Legend 2077 LX, this Jackson blows them all out of the water. It's basically the best guitar I've ever played. The only bad thing I can say about it is that if you have large hands, you may have to change your picking style a bit. I have large hands and every once in a while my hand bumps the volume knob and turns down the volume. But other than that little speed bump, this is an incredible guitar. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32 Rhoads 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014