DK2T Dinky Pro Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 10/02/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DK2T Dinky Pro
Similar to our classic DK2 Dinky, except this one features a string-thru-body bridge for extra tuning stability and sustain, and two Seymour Duncan humbuckers. Available in a variety of colours and transparent finishes.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 8.2
 8.7
 8.7
 8.6
reviews (5) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
DK2T Dinky Pro Reviewed by: CJRocker, on september 13, 2007

Features: This is a 2006 Jackson DK2T. It was made in 2006 in Japan. It features a thin and fast 24 fret maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, which has MOTO sharkfin inlays. Both the headstock and fretboard are bound with a slick looking ivoroid binding. The body is a solid alder Dinky (7/8th the size of a Strat) body, and mine is finished in Crimson Swirl. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, with no tail piece (IE stringthrough). It features 2 Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, a Jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge. The pickups are wired to a 3 way Strat-Style Switch, and it has a Volume and Tone control. The tuner are Jstandard Jacksons, and not locking. // 8

Sound: I mainly play metal and shred, and for this, it's awesome! I use it in a high gain situation with an Epiphone Valve Junior and either a Boss Hyper Metal or a DOD YJM308 and an Ibanez TS9. The guitar's sound makes it perfect for most 80s shred and thrash metal. The JB is very "shrill" and seems to have a lot of presence to it with the alder body, which may not be for everyone. Due to his the guitar seems to be a bit lacking in terms of bass response, but as a whole the sound is pretty tight and rich. In the neck position, the Jazz is lack luster. it's a pretty bland sounding pickup. I would advise replacing it with something like a Duncan '59 or another JB. In it's stock setup up, you can get a nice range of sounds out of it, though as mentioned earlier it's built for metal, with high output pickups. It's clean tone is just average. It doesn't seem as full as some other guitars and pickup combinations, and tends to sound very "sharp" and tight. All and all, I would give the over driven sound about a 9, but only give the clean a 6.5, as it doesn't leave me with a great impression like it does when played into an overdriven amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well setup from the factory. The pickups were well adjusted, and the bridge was positioned well. Intonation could of been a tad better though. The hardware is a bit of a disappointment though. The finish on the saddles and parts of the neck plate and the neck bolts has worn after about 9 months of heavy playing. While everything works well, it's a bit disappointing. The black finish on the hardware is very thin, and comes off easily. It is also a disappointment the tuners are not locking. Otherwise, it is above average for it's price range. The clear coat is resistant to most marks and scratches. The nut was cut perfectly. The neck was straight and has not needed any adjustment yet. The overall assembly and finish of the guitar is well above average, but is let down my questionable hardware. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is one of the best parts of this guitar. The assembly is well above average. It seems like time and care was taken in the construction of the guitar, and that whoever built it knew what they were doing. I would tour with this thing. it's built like a tank. The strap buttons are excellent, and the only reason to buy strap locks would be so you can easily take off the strap. You could easily gig this without a backup, though I would bring one anyway to be safe. The finish is solid and seems like it would hold up very well. As mentioned earlier, the only bad spot on this guitar is the hardware, which while it's okay for it's price range, is below average overall and would probably need to be replaced in 5 years. Because of that I can't give this guitar a 10 in this category, which is a shame as if it wasn't for the hardware, this would be nearing the quality of guitars more then twice it's price. // 9

Overall Impression: I think, for '80s hair, shred, and general metal this is a great guitar. It can hold it's own against any other guitar it's price out there. One of the things I love is the build quality and the sound of it. If it were stolen, I'd track the guy down and beat the tar out of HIM for stealing it. It plays amazing, and felt nice and broken I n from day one. I would not get rid of this guitar unless my hand got cut off and I couldn't play anymore. Before buying that Ibanez or ESP/LTD I would advise you give this Jackson a look, as it is as good if not better then anything out there today. // 9

DK2T Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Jodimu, on november 10, 2007

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: This guitar is a 2006, Japanese made DK2T, that's the non-trem version of the DK2. It has a 24 fret bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard and jumbo frets. The neck is very nice to play, very fast, mostly because it's so flat at the back. It's maybe slightly fatter across than I prefer but it's still comfortabel and after a few minutes I tend not to notice anymore. The neck joint can be a bit annoying at times, especially if you're used to a set neck or neck-thru design but it's nowhere near as bad as a lower end Strat or Tele copy, for example. Lower fret access is good but not perfect as a result. The body is a super-Strat shape and is made of solid alder with a flame maple veneer. The alder has a dramatic impact on the sound of this guitar, which I will return to in the next section, while the maple is all about aesthetics. I opted for the transparent black finish which brings out the different grains in the maple. It looks very good indeed, much better than a solid balck finish even if it is inclined to smudge up from fingerprints quite quickly. The bridge is a fairly Standard affair, Tune-O-Matic on a string-thru body. It's nothing to write home about but then there's also nothing to complain about - it's a solid setup. The tuners are bog-Standard Jackson ones and are a bit disappointing. Not only do they lack the quality of, say, the Grovers you find on the LTD 400 series plus, they just look and feel cheap. This is mostly because the part between the tuning peg and the Machine Head is made of white plastic and stands out as an eyesore. On top of that, the black finsih on the hardware is thin and prone to chipping. The controls are fairly Standard, one tone, one volume and a three-way pickup selector. The pickups are passive Seymour Duncans, a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck which I feel are strange choices given the body woods and what the guitar is likely to be used for but more on that later. Overall, a good if not spectacular feature set. // 7

Sound: I play mostly black metal with various other kinds of metal as well as blues, rock etc thrown in for good measure. Sonically it actually suits black metal very well but this is largely accidental. My main amp is an Engl Screamer 50 and like everything else I've run through that amp, it sounds glorious. the amp's distortion is meaty enough to run without a pedal and it has excellent spring reverb so the only effects I run on top of that are delay and flanger and even then not that often. The pickups are fairly quiet for passives but at high gain settings and volumes you need to stay a fair distance away from the amp because the combination of body wood and bridge pickup mean that you will get feedback. I've been alluding to this all the way through so hear it is: the DK2T is made of alder. As a body wood, alder tends to accentuate the highs in your tone a lot more than mahogony or other woods. That's fine. However, the Duncan JB in the bridge is a pretty high output pickup and it's also very trebly compared to other Duncans. Don't get me wrong, I think the JB is a wonderful, wonderful pickup and I think it sounds better than EMGs and the like in most situations but it's perhaps not the best choice for this guitar. The treble-accentuating properties of the alder and the naturally trebley JB combine giving you a tone that's very trebly and can be very harsh. This can be good, of course, particularly for lead tones but a lot of other people will find that they need to roll their tone control back to bring the treble into balance with the mids and lows. It's not something that would stop me buying the guitar but it should be kept in mind by potential buyers. A Duncan Distortion might have been a better choice of bridge pickup. For me, strangely enough, the JB and alder is actually the perfect combination because the harsh, trebly sound is ideal for black metal! Just coincidence though. If you can find a blance with your tone though, it does sound great, the JB is a lovely rich pickup and flexible enough to do more or less anything well. The cleans can be a bit twangy, again because of the pickup and body wood but you can either get used to it, play with your amp or use the neck pickup. Ah yes, the Jazz. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad pickup, it's not, it's excellent but once again I don't feel it's the right pickup for this guitar. It's very bassy and quite often needs a totally different set of EQ settings to get a good sound to those of the JB which is a problem for me as my own has a shared EQ. The cleans can be very rich, with lots of depth but it can take a bit of effort to get them there. It's a relatively low output pickup compared to the neck and this is very noticeable by how much gain it takes on the clean channel before it distorts. There's No Doubt that this pickup gives a lot of tonal flexibility but given that Jacksons are usually pitched as metal guitars something with a bit more life and sparkles would have made a better rhythm pickup, a Duncan '59, specifically. Overall, the guitar can sound reallly excellent if you're prepared to put in the effort to find what works and the Duncans are top quality but still, a strange choice of pickups when you consider the guitar as a whole. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I think this is the only guitar I've ever got that was set up perfectly out of the box. I don't know if that's because the site I ordered it from set it up for me or if it came out of the factory like that but it was fantastic. Action set to just the right height, intonation great, even the strings were in decent condition! The only problem I have is that after a few weeks it became clear that one of the pickups wasn't tightened in enough and it sometimes vibrated when playing the open G string but all it tooks was a screwdriver to sort that out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have no doubt that the guitar will be great for live palying but I bought it primarily as a backup and for the tonal flexibility of the Duncans as my main guitar has EMGs. It's durable and looks like it could take a few knocks if it came to it. I mentioned before that I'm not overly thrilled with the hardware but it seems reliable enough. The strap buttons are only Standard ones but they seem fine and I don't think I'll be needing straplocks. The finish on the front is fine but I had some paint chip off at the neck joint after a couple of weeks. // 8

Overall Impression: I have found this guitar to be an excellent match for black metal but through sheer accident as much as anything else. I wish I'd done a bit more research into the pickups and gone for something with a '59 instead of a Jazz but it's not too big a deal. Were the guitar stolen/lost I'm not sure if I'd buy another one, I think I'd investigate a Washburn or Schecter in the same price range, like the X50 Pro or C1 or else I'd save a little more and go for an ESP LTD EC400, F400 or H400. My main guitar is an FX400 and frankly it's far superior to the Jackson DK2T. At European price differences (150+) the difference in quality is acceptable but if I lived in North America where ESPs and LTDs are better value I would choose one every single time. I love how playable the DK2T and was really impressed at how well it was set up out of the box. However, the cheapness of the hardware (oh how I long for the Grovers, Earvana nut and stop tailpiece of my LTD) annoy me considering that Washburn guitars have better quality hardware at the same or sometimes cheaper prices. Don't get me wrong, this is a great guitar and the perfect backup but I can't help but feel that Jackson made a few poor decisions when chosing what specs it should have. I've no idea why they couldn't have included better hardware for the price but these things can't be helped. It remains very good value for a great sounding guitar however you look at it. // 8

DK2T Dinky Pro Reviewed by: Stentroll, on august 18, 2007

Purchased from: Local store

Features: This is a very new model, so I guess it was made in 2006-2007 in Japan. It has 24 jumbo frets, a thin, maple bolt-on neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has an alder body with flame maple veener on transparent colors. It comes in transparent and solid colors. Strat style body with string-through body and passive Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. It has a three-way angled pickup selector with bridge-middle-neck positions and a tone and master volume knob. It has sealed die-cast tuners and black hardware. I got a gig bag and a cable with it. // 10

Sound: This is a true metal guitar, exactly what I want along with nice cleans. I play mostly Slayer and Pantera and it handles it great. The JB bridge pickup gives some crushing distorted tones and the Jazz neck pickup gives some nice, pretty full cleans. I use it through a Line 6 Spider III 30 amp. The alder body gives a bright sound and the guitar is pretty versatile, but is mostly suited for metal I think, as most Jacksons. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up good and had low action. The neck looks a little strange where it goes into the body but it's no problem at all. The pickups were nicely adjusted and everything looks fine. I've had the guitar for about 2 months and I've found no flaws yet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very realiable guitar I think. Although I don't play on stage, if I would I would probably not need a backup. The hardware and strap buttons seem solid and the finish too. I tried scraping my pick against it and nothing happened, so I would say the finish lasts a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and I need good, crunchy distorted sounds and this guitar fits it incredibly well. I've been playing for about a year and I thought I needed a good guitar that would last me forever instead of buying a cheap one now and an expensive one later. Along with it, I own a Line 6 Spider III amp and they work very well together. I love everything about this guitar so far and I can't think of anything else it needs. I was first planning to buy a Jackson DXMG, so I went to the store and tried it. I figured the EMGs would sound nice, but I was a bit disappointed. So I looked at more Jacksons and found this. The transparent finish looked great and the Seymour Duncans blew the passive EMGs on the DXMG away. I was supposed to get the guitar about a month after I tried it, but I just couldn't wait. If this guitar was stolen I would hunt the thief day and night and beat him for stealing it, then take it back and buy another one. // 10

DK2T Dinky Pro Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2011

Price paid: € 624

Purchased from: Musikhaus Hermann

Features: My Jackson Dinky DK2T was made in Japan, year 2009. Features: Body: Solid Alder, Superstrat Shape, Solid Black Finish; Neck: Bold-On Hard Maple, Wizard II Profile; Fretboard: Bound Rosewood with Pearloid Shark Fin Inlays; 12' to 16' Compound Radius; Scale 25.5" (64.8 cm), 24 Jumbo Frets; Hardware: Jackson Tune-O-Matic Bridge with String-thru body; Standard Jackson Die-Cast Tuners; Color Black; Electronics: Volume, Tone, 3-Way Switch; Seymour Duncan TB-4 Bridge and SH2N Neck Pickups; These features are really nice, it is a very well built and solid guitar, the only features that don't make this guitar a high-end one are that the neck wood is not Quartersawn Maple and the Inlays are not Pearl but those don't matter to its sound only to price. Comes with Jackson Hard-Case, Allen Wrench and .09 NPS Strings. // 8

Sound: The guitar was built for a heavy metal look and sound but i can play almost anything on it, the pickups are original Seymour Duncan, electronics are shielded so it has low noise, it has a very good, bright sound, like a Standard Stratocaster with humbuckers. I play at home and use a Behringer GMX212 modeling amp; a very versatile guitar and amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up pretty well, I think directly from the factory, it wasn't opened. It had a low action 1.5 mm 1st string and 2 mm 6th string both at 17th fret. Very low fret buzz. The pickups were adjusted well and tight, and the pot knobs were screwed in securely. The finish is solid black. No flaws so far, I only set the strings a bit higher (by 0.5 mm) because when I hit them a bit harder they kinda buzz a bit, but that's just personal preference. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a very reliable guitar, it stays in tune very well, good sustain the Bridge pickup has lots of power and the hardware seems to be of good quality. The finish is solid, resistant to denting and scratching, just not to fingerprints :D. The neck is super thin and straight, just hope it won't warp in time. It is a very good quality guitar made by the Japanese. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, sometimes blues, the guitar has a good sound with distortion or overdrive and very low hum noise. I have been playing for 4 years, before this I had a Japanese Squier Stratocaster, still do, but the frets are worn out. This Jackson is a very good guitar I wouldn't change it for anything and I'd buy another one if I wear the frets again or get a new Custom Jackson neck for it. But for now I wouldn't change anything about it, it works great! // 9

DK2T Dinky Pro Reviewed by: belleraphon, on october 02, 2012

Features: I have no idea when this guitar was made, it was made in Japan. It has 24 jumbo frets, the neck is made from maple and it has a maple compound radius fingerboard 12"-16" with a ivoroid bending on the neck and headstock, it is a bolt on neck. The body is made from Alder and its a Strat style body. The guitar has a string-thru body and a tune-O-matic style bridge. My guitar came standard with Seymour Duncan pickups, it had a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. It had comes with a 3 way blade switch, one tone and one volume control. The tuners are standard Jackson tuners. // 8

Sound: I play death metal, grindcore and shred. I wasn't very impressed with the tone that I got from the guitar, the JB sounded weak and the Jazz was very clean sounding. I swapped them out for a pair of Seymour Duncan Blackouts, now the guitar is a gain monster. I used alot of amps with this guitar and a Line 6 X3 Live at some point. Now I just plug it into a Randall RG100G3 that's boosted with a Boss SD-1 pedal, I use a Boss NS-2 as well. The guitar isnt realy noisy, only on high gain settings, but that's pretty normal, I do use a NS-2 so I don't get any noise or feedback. This guitar stock can pretty much play any genre you want to play, it will obviously depend on your amp and effects. With the blackouts I can get anything from pig destroyer to jazz tones. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it secondhand and the setup was horrible, but I fixed that once I got it home. I tune to straight B tuning and my action is pretty low at the moment. All the hardware was in good condition. The only thing I hated was the volume knob placement on the guitar, my picking hand kept touching it and then the volume would roll down, I just took the tone pot out, I don't use a tone knob, and then I moved the volume pot to were the tone knob was. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged this guitar, but uts built really solid, I'm pretty sure it would withstand live playing. The hardware is solid, will last for ever if you look after your gear. I use strap locks with the guitar. The finish on my guitar is still good as new and this guitar gets used daily. // 9

Overall Impression: For my style of music, grindcore, death metal, shred, the guitar is awesome after a pickup replacement. I've been playing for 8 years, other guitars I own are a Jackson JS32T and Ibanez ADX120. I wish the guitar was neck thru and came with active pickups. // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ Mark Morton Dominion D2 7.7 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014