DKMG Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 08/01/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DKMG
The DKMG has all the features of the DKMGT except in a locking tremolo configuration. Now you can take that 20db of boost from the EMG Turbocharger and dive-bomb out of control. Transparent finishes have an exotic looking flame maple top.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 8.3
reviews (24) pictures (2) 54 comments vote for this gear:
DKMG Reviewed by: lightning_boots, on june 01, 2005

Purchased from: Retailer

Features: This is my review on this guitar. It's a Jackson DKMG. This is a new model. I think 2002, not quite sure though. This guitar was made in Japan. It's a nice guitar for a Japanese model, though. First off I love this guitar. It has a total of 24 frets. These are jumbo frets. It has a maple neck and a compound radius fretboard. The body is alder wood, which gives a warm sound. The finish is four types; black, cobalt, cobalt swirl, and black forest. These are nice colors. The black forest is really nice. I'd say its body style is Strat, but smaller. The bridge style is Floyd Rose Licensed double locking tremelo. It's not as good as the original, but its better than most of the bridges. I can dive-bomb my way all the way down, pull it up, mess with it and its still will be in tune. Quite nice if your a lead player. The pickups are EMG-HZ passive pickups. These are nice and provide excellent sound for passive pickups. There is a master volume and a master tone with a three way pickup selector. It also has a booster on it. It makes the sound louder by 20 dbs. Pushes your lead tones out in front. Useless with distortion though. You can also adjust the booster level. The tuners are I believe are Jackson tuners. // 8

Sound: The sound is excellent with passive pickups. You can make harmonics come out of this bad boy like nothing. I play thrash metal. I also play lead. I can play really fast on this guitar too. It has a fast neck. I also play the blues on this bad boy and it sounds excellant with the neck pickup. I run through it with a Carvin Legacy amp. The sound is unbelievable and the distortion is awesome. I also use a Morley Bad Horsie Wah pedal and a Metal master distortion. It's nice. This guitar is noisy when its cranked. It pickups sound good. It doesnt hum or squeal when it's loud. The sound I'd say is warm, thick, sound. Great for the blues or metal. This bad boy can hit Pinch harmonics, tap harmonics, natural harmonics, you name it and this guitar can do it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is really low. I can go so fast on this sucker. You'll have to adjust it a bit if you play rhythm 'cause at the 2nd to 4th frets you can get buzz. The pickups were set up nice. Just like it wanted them to be. Not to low, not to high. The bridge is setup right. Its not off or anything. Its aligned with the neck good. The guitar didn't have any flaws that I know of. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with this guitar a few times and I must say I'll use it again. I never dropped it but hit it hard on stuff accindentally. Its still good. The hardware should last if you don't abuse it. The Floyd goes out of tune if you dont tighten the locking nut real tight. The strap buttion are solid. They want fall off if you leave them alone. I can depend on this guitar. It won't get all mest up on stage. The finish is quite good. It gets dirty easy but thats nothing. I gets stratched kinda easy though. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play the blues and thrash metal. This guitar is good for both. Thats that. I have been playing for about a year, but I'm quite good, well thats what people say. I'd say I'm intermediate. I also own a les paul. I'd choose this guitar over the les believe it or not. If I got this guitar stolen or if I lost it, I'd buy it again. Its worth the money. I love this guitar. It has everything a lead player could ask for. I enjoy the sound booster. When I'm on stage and the rhythm player is too loud for me to be heard, I just pop this baby out and I overpower the sound too easy. Its a nice feature. The only thing I wish it had were seperat volume controls for the pickups. Other than that, this guitar will not fail you. You'll fall in love with this guitar once you start playing it whether your at a music store or your freinds house. // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: Martyrion, on december 13, 2005

Purchased from: Electrohill Music

Features: 24 frets of a first class maple neck. Mine is with a black finish. It's got a floyd rose licensed bridge and 2 passive EMG-HZ's. 1 volume knob, 1 tone control, and 1 EMG Turbocharger for a 0-20 db boost. It's got locking tuners, and you need several tools to change anything. Including the tuning. // 9

Sound: It's made for metal and shred. It has a heavy, deep sound, and the lead pickup has enough high end for most people. It's pretty quiet, but not as much as you might expect. The pickups are OK, but none too good. I personally recommend changing them in a EMG 81/85 set instead. The sound is very good alltogether, and I can't really complain, as this thing will make any shredder go nuts. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect. It's as low as it gets without buzzing the frets. If you ever wanted to shred with high precision and awsome intonation, then this is the guitar you want. The pickups are just right and they will stay that way unless you loosen the screws. My volume knob fell of once, but it was just a loose screw, so there was no real problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a solid guitar. I will admit that I have not been as careful as I should have been, but still I have made no scratch. The hardware is solid, and so are the knobs and the strap buttons. I trust this guitar with no backup. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar is awsome. I am changing the pickups, but for it's price I've tried nothing better. I've been using this for 6-7 months and I have played for a deal of years now, and tried a quite a few guitars. This one is killer. Unless you buy an ESP for 3,000$ then you wont find many metal guitars of higher quality. I love this guitar, and I would get another one over and over again if it were stolen. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: shanerdoo, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: aj's guitars

Features: This guitar is awesome. I have no clue what year it was made, but I do know it was made in Japan. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and an alder body. It's all black and it has a carved top. It has a liscenced floyd rose, I'd rather had an ofr, but that's okay now, 'cause it stays in tune when I divebomb. It has EMG HZ which are pretty weak, but when I get a job, ill upgrade them to EMG 81/85 or some Seymour Duncans. One volume, one tone, and some booster thing, that I think mine is messed up, but based on other reveiws that say it sucks, I'm not mad about it. 3-way pick up selector. It has a locking nut of course so it stays in tune. Oh yeah, and the reversed headstock is pretty badass looking. // 8

Sound: I have my DKMG, ME-50, to a Fender FM 212R (100 watts) and it sounds pretty good. My heavy tone sounds so good and deep and my clean really bright and clear, but I think thats because of the amp. With the floyd rose, I can dive bomb, and harmonic dive things without going out of tune. If you have watched that dimebag video where he teaches you how to squeal, this guitar does it perfectly with the right technique. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it the action was a little high, but I lowered it. The pickups are at perfect height. No scratches, no lose things. It was set up pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with this guitar easily. The hardware seems like it'll be fine for a long time. The strap buttons are pretty solid, but I want to change them to strap locks just to be safe. I wouldn't bring a backup if I gigged with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from RHCP to Slayer and this guitar does it all. I've been playing for three years and this is my third guitar. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but if I had the money, I would buy an an ESP M-2 like I orginally wanted, but it was 1000 dollars more, so I just bought this, and I'm glad I did. I just wish it had EMG 81/85 and an official floyd rose. // 8

DKMG Reviewed by: lespaul#2, on february 20, 2009

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This guitar was made in 2008 and it was made in japan.It has 24 jumbo frets and a solid top with gray metalic paint.The body is basswood with a maple neck.Has a floy rose trem and comes with EMGs and the cool thing is that the pickups don't use batterys.It has one volume and one tone. And Jackson tuners. // 8

Sound: The sound is good, it's very worm but the sustain isnt very good.the reason why I think this is because the wood isnt solid like les pauls and Telecaster guitars.it's not noisy at all cause the pickups are really good.you can't really get a variety of styles but if you were to get a 5 way swich and a p50 you could probably get a beautiful sound. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is very good the neck is almost flat. I personally like that kind of neck so if you like that kind of neck you should get this guitar.The pickups were pretty well ajusted and the guitar didn't come with any probs. Actually this was the first guitar I've ever had with no flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand Live playing, I don't really know cause I haven't played Live yet. The hardware seems pretty good.actually the reason why the guitar doesnt't make any noise is beacuse it's so well grounded, so I give that and aploude. Lets just say that it's sturdy but not as strudy as a les paul. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and classic rock and this guitar can do it pretty well.I've been playing for 4 years and I have a Marshall MG100DFX, Agile les paul 3100, DOD equilizer pedal, cry baby Wah Wah pedal, and that's about it.if my Jackson were to be stolen I probably wouldn't bey andother Jackson, I would probably bey and Ibanez bacause you could get a better veriaty but for know I really like this guitar. // 6

DKMG Reviewed by: c_lucusarts, on november 18, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Jackson, Black DKMG Dinky. The guitar came with a EMG 81 (bridge) and EMG 85 (neck). It has 24 frets, a Floyd Rose pro tremelo, a volume and tone knob, alder body, maple neck (not painted), and a reverse headstock. The neck has a rosewood fretboard and the fret markers are unique. // 8

Sound: I play through a Randall RG75 G3 with a celestion speaker. I use a DigiTech RP255 processor. I love the EMG 81. It has lots of bite and great sustain. I can't stand the EMG 85. I took it out and gave it away. I replaced it with a EMG 60. The 60 has a great clean sound. I basically use the 81 for gain and the 60 for clean. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my guitar the springs for the tremelo were not connected. The action was too high and the tremelo was not floating level. I lowered the action and adjusted the tremelo to where it floats percectly level. The trick to holding tune is put the strings on and break them in before locking them down. I use the trem alot and it holds tune perfectly. I have never played on a guitar with a locking system that holds tune as well as this one. If it isn't holding tune then you're doing something wrong. It took me a while to get use to the neck. Once I did it was on. I love the action of this guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have no problem with the reliability and durability of this guitar. The paint will wear off of the fine tuning screws and other hardware. To me this just gives the guitar character. I did have a set screw break and had to replace it. The screws are made with cheap metal. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing 20+ years. I love this guitar and would never get rid of it. The guitar is easy to play. It has a great tone. I can achieve geat amounts of gain, which I love, and a beautiful clean tone. I like the EMG 81 and EMG 60 combonation. I don't mean to offend anyone by saying I do not like the EMG 85. When it comes to gear it is a matter of opinion and style. It is all about what works for you and what you like. There is no best anything. It is your style that dictates what you like. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2005

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: For a guitar made in Korea, I must say this is a pretty bad ass guitar. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, pretty thin neck, could be a little wider. Solid alder body, I got the blue swirl stuff. Maple neck. The nice dinky style with the scalloped heel and horns is nice the horns stay out of the way. The floyd rose is kinda a pain though, takes nearly a half hour to restring and retune, and if you need to change tunings its a pain, but hey you can dive bomb and ultra wail without funkin your guitar up either. The active booster thing is ok, but I'm getting rid of it. The EMGs are pretty great but I like the sound of a seymor duncan hot rodded humbucker set. I'm gonna get those chunked in here and I gonna get the electronics redone, the pots on this guitar suck thats really the only bad deal about it. The volume knob crackles like frying bacon. But like I say imma get the duncans, and get rid of the booster thingy, just a main vol, and a bridge/neck volume for the other two pots. No tone knob, so you get a lot more range out of your pickups. I've had this guitar for nearly a year, and for the price I paid and a few minimal (not really all that crucial) mods and alterations to this guitar and I've got one bad ass guitar. // 8

Sound: I play metal, not the new drop C chug chug s--t. I'm talkin Randy Rhoades, Jake E Lee, Ratt, Motley Crue, Joe Satriani stuff. It works fine with my Marshall, my Ibanez half stack sucks, it rules with my Peavey. Noise isn't much of a problem with the EMGs thier shielded. It's got a nice hot sound in the bridge with the stock emgs and the neck pickup has a really fat syrupy sound. This guitar can do anything you can make it do. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little low nothin a little tweak on the locking bridge and neck can't fix. The pickups werset up fine, the top and routing was perfect but the pots sucked and were all crackly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems fine, though I'd like to have a real floyd rose pro in this beast. But to hell with droppin 200 bucks for a name. I'd use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is excelent for rock. I've been playing for about 5 years, I also own a Squier Strat it was my first guitar, I learned my mistakes from that one. I have a Marshall MG15DFX amp, an Ibanez TB half stack and a Peavey XXL head. I wish I had checked the volume knob on this guitar, that's my only gripe, but I run full blast most of the times so its not too huge of a problem. If it got stole, I'd cry, then work 'till I could afford another one. I love the neck, and the feel of the body. It's definately something worth lookin into if you like to have fun with guitars. I wish it had Duncans in it stock, and a real floyd rose but that one is kinda superficial. // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: achan852, on january 03, 2006

Features: This guitar was made in Japan. I think in 2002 or so. It has 24 frets. Maple neck. Floyd rose licensed bridge, 2 EMG-HZ pickups (passive), a 3-way selector a volume knob, a tone knob and an EMG turbocharger (0-20 db boost). The body is made out of alderwood. This guitar also has locking tuners, which makes it quite a hassle to change anything, but then again it wont go out of tune easily anyways. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock and metal and sometimes blues. I use this guitar with a Peavey Rage 158 amp and Boss ME-50 multi-effects pedal. The pickups are not noisy. It sounds simply sick when distortion is added. With the turbocharger on, it adds a muddy crunch to the sound. but then when playing clean, it's really nothing extraordinary. I wouldn't mind changing the pickups to EMG 81/85. overall, the sound is pretty good, as this guitar is made for metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar wasnt as I wanted it to be wen I first got it, but once I got it lowered, it played great. The pickups were set up fine, no complaints. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will definately withstand live playing, but then not without a backup, but then maybe thats just me. The strap buttons are solid, I've jammed with my band a few times with this guitar and it has never fallen onto the floor. The finish is quite good, if you take good care of this guitar, polish it etc. It'll be fine, but it gets stratched pretty easily though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock and recently beginning to play more metal. I have been playing for about 2 years and a bit and I also own a Fender Standard Strat. The only thing I wished I asked before buying this guitar was to ask the salesman to lower the action for me so I didn't have to go there again, but then that's about it. When I was choosing a guitar to buy I had my eye on a few Ibanez prestiges but then in the end I chose this guitar, believe it or not. It was worth the money anyways. decent price for a decent guitar. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would get another guitar, probably Jackson again, maybe an Ibanez. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2006

Features: This Jackson was made in Japan nicely built. The fretboard is wide (jumbo frets) but its not a problem, still plays nicely. The bridge is floyd rose which I really like about. It stays in-tune real well if your playing some insane riffs of Joe Satriani. Not too much selection on controls just volume and tone with a 5-way selector. The pickups are EMG-HZ which are passive. There's no buzz at all but the HZ aren't great for soloing. Awesome for rhythm not soloing. // 8

Sound: Its not exactly what I needed for the music play but its a good guitar. It plays good in rock, blues, jazz but does look goofy playing with the heavy metal guitar while playing jazz or blues. Absolutly no noise on my amp which I really like compared to my noisy Strat. Sound is great when playing rhythm but like I said before, as soon as you get into soloing the sound gets very dull. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up nice at first but I've had problems with the volume and tone knob completly falling off. The input also has completly came apart which almost got me to the point of selling it because it was getting ridiculous. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand playing live as long as its rhythm but I would definitely bring a back up. The finish is nice but it gets really "smuggy" if you touch the guitar which is annoying to clean. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this a good guitar for rhythm. Good for whatever style of music. For the price of it, it's the guitar to buy. // 8

DKMG Reviewed by: KSESFguitar, on january 27, 2007

Purchased from: Andertons Music Company

Sound: This guitar is an amzing guitar if you are to be playing a variety of music: from classic rock to heavy metal. The two active pickups (EMG 81/85) provide a wonderful tone, and work well with some good distortion. I am using this guitar through a Boss Metal Zone pedal through to a Boss Equalizer and into a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack. It sounds great! I play a lot of Killswitch Engage and the Active EMG's really let me bring out the harmonics. This guitar sounds really great when I tune low. I use DR Dimebag (high voltage) 11-50 gauge strings. Along with the Licensed Floyd Rose Tremelo and the Locking Nut, you can divebomb all the way down and bring it all the way back up, and not go out of tune. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up very well. The action was perfect and was easy to play with. The pickups are adjusted just right to get a great tone with no noise. There werent really any major flaws in this guitar, the only flaw I can come up with is that the strap buttons are really squeaky whenever I put on a strap, but I shall be replacing them with strap locks so it doesnt't really matter that much. Other than that, this guitar is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with this guitar yet, but I'm sure it will withstand live playing. I've bashed it a couple times and there aren't any marks on it. I got this guitar in Transparent Red and it looks fantastic. The strap buttongs are solid, but on my guitar they squeak a bit when I put on a strap. I will definately gig with this in the future and I would use it without a backup because it doesnt't go out of tune and sounds perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, but mostly metal. I like the Killswitch Engage kind of music, which includes a lot of Pinch Harmonics, and this guitar is a perfect match for that kind of music. I have been playing for about 4 years now and I own a Boss Metal Zone Pedal and a Boss Equalizer Pedal and I run those through to a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack. If this guitar was stolen, I would definately buy another one. I love the Active 81/85 EMG pickup set on this guitar, they are much better than the EMG HZ passive pickups. The licensed floyd rose tremelo is a good add-on on this guitar, it provides you with a new type of technique. I only wish this guitar came with a hardcase made by Jackson, because I had to buy a seperate one that doesn't look that good. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: abo-89, on february 23, 2007

Features: Jackson's Dinky body style is world famous for very good reasons, it's light, comfortable, and very fast looking. This Jackson MG Series DKMG Dinky electric guitar sports the trademark Jackson reverse pointy headstock and EMG HZ humbuckers to deliver super-modern looks and harmonic-rich tone to match. Luxurious touches include piranha-tooth fretboard inlays and bound fretboard and headstock. 24 jumbo frets and a Floyd Rose-licensed Jackson recessed double-locking 2-point vibrato. // 10

Sound: This Jackson MG Series DKMG Dinky electric guitar sports the trademark Jackson reverse pointy headstock and EMG HZ humbuckers to deliver super-modern looks and harmonic-rich tone to match. This guitar simply kicks butt! A nice fast neck, beautiful fret work, and put together beautifuly. Came right out of the box, tuned it up and started playin'. Great sound from the emg pickups, and able to split the bridge pickup with a coil tap. The sound is tremendous. Worth every penny. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Jackson's compound-radius fingerboard curves more dramatically at the nut for easy chording and flattens out as it approaches the neck joint for low-action bends without fretting out. With a more relaxed hand, you'll play better! This babey is loaded. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Jackson's dinky body style is world famous for very good reasons, it's light, comfortable, and very fast looking. Luxurious touches include piranha-tooth fretboard inlays and bound fretboard and headstock. This babey was made to last even the harshish treatment. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm playin' for 3 years now and this guitar is awesome.I've played a B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze until now, but the DXMG is much better. Very good playability and a good balance.T he only thing that is not so wonderful is the neck PU. It's very near to the strings and I touched it everytime with my pick, so I I must turn it down very hard. But now the guitar is perfect. I play all sorts of music, especially progrock like Rush or speed metal like Blind Guardian or Gamma Ray. It fits perfect for this styles! // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: Norse_Iron_King, on march 26, 2007

Features: The modelis a 2000, made in Japan. The fret board has 24 jumbo frets with Sharkfin inlays in the usual frets (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21). It is a solid top with a satin finish made of alder. It has dual Emg-HZ passive Humbuckers: the H4 in the bridge and the H4A in the neck position, with a 3-way blade pickup selector. It has master volume and master tone knobs. The bridge is a double-locking recessed Floyd Rose Licensed tremolo. The tuners are stock and it has rather large strap buttons with felt washers. No accesories are included. // 9

Sound: I play only metal on this guitar, though mainly thrash, death and black. The sound is very high quality, although active pickups (81/85) would have been better. Still, with my Boss MT-2 Metalzone and MG series Marshall half-stack, this baby shrieks, rips and slaughters. It has a bright sound when clean, and a dark full tone when distorted or you mess with the controls on the amps. Jacksons were made for metal, although with overdrive, technique and personal preference, you can coax out punk, hard rock, classic rock and heavy blues out of it, due to the passive pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar straight out of the box with the action low, properly adjusted pickups and a spotless paintjob. All of the elcetronics were in place, the hardware was perfectly adjusted to the strings (.009 or.010) The only bad thing was it didn't come with the bar, but I talked to the guy and I got a free one. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last you for any gig, provided you don't smash the guitar into the amps. The floyd rose system makes tricky to Switch tunings, so bring a backup or two if you have different tunigs for different songs. th strap buttons are perfect, it has never slipped out of the strap. the finish seems to be very durable, but nothing is stupid-proof. // 9

Overall Impression: Jacksons were made for metal. They do exactly what they were made for and they do it the best. I have now been playing for 3 years and this is currently my best piece of equipment. The best things I love about it are the 24 frets, tremolo and dual humbuckers. If it were stolen, I would buy another (if I couldn't recuperate the original) and install 81/85's and an original Floyd Rose. If you don't play metal, don't buy jacksons. If you don't like tremolos, buy the DKMGT the same features except for the tremolo. // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2008

Features: This beautiful, high quality Jackson was made in 2006. It has a carved top alder body, a beautiful Bolt-On Rock Maple neck, rosewood with compound 14" to 16" radius 24-fret fingerboard, Piranha fretboard inlays, brutal active EMG 81(bridge) and 85(neck) pickups, Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo, NPS .009-.0042 strings, 25.5" scale, Ivoroid Binding on Neck and Headstock, Reverse Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, 3-way blade selector, black hardware, and you can get an optional deluxe molded case for it. // 9

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal and the dual emg's suit that very well. I play it through a Line6 Spider II 15. I do get a little bit of hum but that's because I have a bad quality cable it's not the pickups at all emg makes noiseless pikcups. A couple things I don't like at all is it doesn't have a ton of sustain, and I sometimes have a hard time getting really good harmonics. And that's not me I play another guitar with a Dimebucker and the harmonics are killer so I definitely know how to do it I just can't seem to get good harmonics out of the EMGs. The Floyd is okay, but it works. But the sustain issue causes more issues with the floyd like when I do divebombs I lose half the sound when I bring it back up which gets really really annoying. But it is a great guitar don't get me wrong. I've been able to get dimebag tones out of this before, but that's only with fresh batteries and after about a week or so of daily 2-3 hour practice I can't get those tones anymore. I'm really looking for a seriously brutal, Ultra high-gain sinister Dimebag tone and I can't get that with this guitar but it's still good for everything else from Iron Maiden to Metallica, to Trivium and everything in between. I haven't tried, but I'm sure you could get some good blues/jazz tones out of it with the right amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, I got a coffin case which it didn't fit in so I had to take it back and get a different case. The action was perfect. The pickups were fine, but for the tone I want I had to raise the pickups up. I have them at the highest they can get before the strings touch them when I pull the whammy bar. Nothing was loose at all. I was able to just whip it out of the case and play right then and there no problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar I think will last for a long time. I would definitely gig with it without a backup this guitar is great, I've had it for about 2 years now and I've banged it on stuff accidentally and it's been scratched up by my belt buckle on the back and it hasn't chipped at all and the paint is still there. Definitely very dependable and reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is definitely suited for metal. The neck is thin and fast and I think any metalheads would be very pleased with it. I think I'd probably buy something else if it got lost/stolen just because someone bought it for me as a gift, so I didn't pick it out myself. They just knew I wanted emg's and a Floyd Rose and it was the first guitar they found with both so they bought it. I eventually want to add an afterburner to it for the added gain, but I'll be fine until then. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: Metal Man Kam, on april 09, 2008

Features: Not sure where it was made, but it was made in 2006, and it rocks. 24 jumbo frets, Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo, EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG 85 in the neck, 25.5" scale, rosewood fingerboard with Compound 14 to 16 Radius, 1 volume and 1 tone controls, Bolt-On Rock Maple neck with Scarf Joint Head Stock, Alder body with Carved Top and Flame Maple Veneer, comes with .009-.042 strings, 1-11/16 (43mm)nut, Reverse Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock, MOTO Piranha Tooth Position Inlays, Ivoroid Binding on Neck and Headstock. I've read that the horns are hollow but I don't know if it's true or not. I would like to have an afterburner on it. // 8

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal with a Line 6 Spider II 15 practice amp and it suits metal very well. I know the amp doesn't sound good at high volumes but I don't need it loud so it sounds great and the EMG's are awesome. I raised the bridge pickup (81) as close to the strings as I could get it without the strings touching it when I push the tremolo all the way down, pull it all the way up. I'd like for it to have more sustain, and the supposedly hollow horns could be a big part of the problem. I tend to lose my tone when I pull the tremolo all the way up. Great metal tones out of it though, no Dimebag Darrell sounds but I can get pretty close to it so I'm happy with it. I play with the gain all the way up for maximum distortion usually. I know you can get a lot of different tones out of the guitar. They get a good clean sound but I think the EMG 60 is better for cleans than the 85. Very quiet pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I think everything was great except for the bridge pickup, but that's just my personal preference. I didn't notice any flaws about it except for after a year and a half of playing it the screw under the cover in the back by the tremolo springs that holds the tremolo to the guitar comes loose every few weeks and is really annoying. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definitely very reliable guitar I think it will last for a long time but I may need to replace the tremolo eventually if it keeps coming loose. I would definitely use it without a backup it's a great guitar and it looks awesome. I wish I got it in transparent black, but it was a gift and the black is great. // 10

Overall Impression: I was playing an Epiphone Les Paul Special II "Mr. Skull" for 3 years when I got this guitar and I was amazed at the difference in tone the Jackson had. I've put a Dimebucker in the Epiphone and detuned it so the tone can compare to the Jackson now, but I still prefer the Jackson. // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: Pat_s1t, on june 05, 2008

Features: I'm not sure what year this guitar was made, but it must be a newer model since the old one had EMG-HZ passives in it. This sucker comes stock equipped with a pair of active EMG 81's and 85's. There is a little sticker on the neck saying "Made In Japan". This factor, however, should not take away from anyones perception of this guitar. This guitar has 24 jumbo frets, with a thin, fast maple neck and a compound radius fretboard, making for very easy, slick and incredibly fast playing. It comes in a variety of finishes, including cobalt blue, cobalt blue swirl, black, black forest and and trans black. The body is a comfortable Strat-style shape made of solid alder, unless you get a transparent finish, in which case the top becomes maple. It has a Floyd Rose Licensed Bridge, not as good as the original, but you can still dive-bomb all you want and it won't come out of tune, as long as the blocks are clamped tightly enough. There is a 3-way pickup Switch between the tone knob and volume knob, because there are only two knobs altogether. The tuners are Jackson tuners, which work well enough. // 9

Sound: Like I said before, this has EMG 81's and 85's, that can punch out anything from Metallica to Primus to Deep Purple. Any kind of rock, metal, punk, generally whetever you play, this thing can do it. I know because I play all three through my Line 6 Spider III 75. It doesn't hum and hasn't given me hardly any feedback since I bought it five days ago, and I have used it extensively since then. If you want something with more variety and choice than the closest Wal-Mart, you'll want this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well at the factory. When I got it, the action was incredible, though I like to have my neck to feel like glass, so I did get the local tech guy to do very minor adjustments, that probably weren't really necassary. The pickups were positioned to the perfect height, the double locking bridge was clamped so even after a rough ride on a gravel road, it was still in tune very well when I got it.There were no flaws what'soever, and after about a half an hour of testing in the shop, I bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built tough. I've already dropped it right onto my bedpost and no scratches or nicks at all. The hardware looks like it will last a long time, and ths guitar is easily tour worthy, even if you only play the local bar once a month. The strap buttons are well placed, and don't move at all. I would depend on it without a backup, and even my guitar teacher, Who does everything to do with guitar making, repair, etc. in my town of 7, 500, says if he lost his custom-made guitar he slaved at for four years, the first thing he would do would be call me up and ask for mine. The finish doesn't scratch easily from what I can see, and it's a very trustworthy guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing since January 07, though I started to practice vigorously in November of that year, and continue to do so today. I play a lot of classic rock, hard rock, metal and metalcore, etc., and this guitar fits all of them like Richie Blackmore, Angus Young and Alexi Laiho all played the exact instrument in question. This is an excellent instrument for the aspiring musician, and after playing over 30 guitars in the store, including the ESP Alexi-600, Gibson Slash Signature and the most expensive Stratocaster I could find, this was my favourite. I have no regrets with buying this guitar, and if it were stolen, I'd hunt down the ******* and beat it from HIM in a heartbeat. It comes with everything I need, a fast, slick neck, great pickups, and a name that no one can accuse me of getting because I'm a "fanboy". I genuinely love this guitar, and will keep it forever, for me and my family. // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: PowerDistortion, on september 16, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I'm not real sure what year it was made but I know it is a Japan made guitar and it sounds pretty good.It has a total of 24 pirahna tooth inlay jumbo frets.and is very fast action also. Made of rosewood.Body wood is made of. I'm not sure. It has like 4 finishes,, Blackm Coblat blue, cobalt blue swirl, and black forest. They are all very nnice finishs..Body style is about the same of most guitars, mostly Strat. Kinda small. The bridge is one of my favorite parts. it's a Floyd Rose licensed tremelo and it stays in tune pretty good. The controls on there are a Master Tone and Volume and a 3 way selector, the pickups in it are Zakk Wylde EMG 81/85 set..They sound pretty good, especially for lead guitarist. Overall, if your planning on getting this guitar, I would recommend it. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal and rock and it sounds great on this guitar. I use a Peavey Bandit 112 on it and it sounds good. I also have a Crybaby (original) and it's great. I can do almost anything on it. The sound quality is great with almost anything. You can do anything on it. Pinch harmonics, natural hamronics and anthing else you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Its a pretty good guitar, especially made in Japan..The action on the neck is pretty fast. The pickups are good in it. They contradict each other making them great. The go really well with the guitar. It was all good on the inside as well. Everything was wired fine. The only problem was I had to tune it a biot the first few days I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As long as you have good effects and a good rig, you'll be fine for. Playing anything. It looks pretty good, just don't drop it onstage. It's pretty llight and versaltile for movement around the stage. You can play all night on this guitar with a good setup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and it's perfect for it, espcially the pickups on it. I've been playing ofrf about a year and it's the greatest purchase I've made. if it got stolen, I would use the warrnaty to get it all over again. I love thle whoel guitar. The best thing on it is the Finishes or the Floyd Rose tremelo. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: tyler_faith_08, on november 04, 2008

Features: I will do this review twice. Once for before modifications, and one for after. I bought this guitar from guitar center about a year ago(new years, 2008). I bought it primarily for a few of the features that it has. The guitar is a black soloist style alder body, 24 compound radius frets on a rosewood fretboard on a thin maple neck and a wide nut, reverse headstock guitar, with floating Floyd Rose, EMG 81/85, volume, tone, 3 way Switch, and all black Jackson hardware. Though this guitar comes with high quality features and equipment, after owning this guitar for a year, I have come to my own conclusion. The lack of tone at all notes limits you from getting a signature tone. The floating trem was a nice option, but it got tiring trying to keep it in tune, and seemed to take away from the overall tone by not transmitting the string vibrations to the body. I'd spend about 10% of my time tuning it while everyone else played. // 7

Sound: The Overall tone of the guitar fits the newer metal genre, therfore, it does not fit my style of playing. I originally used this guitar with a small 8 watt Peavey, and it sounded very nice. I then purchased a Marshall Mini stack, on which it sounded horrible. I now use a Raven RG60 and it sounds ten times better. The EMGs sound good and have tonal diversity, but just make the guitar sound like the volume is only at 7 and tone at 5. Like I said earlier, the floating trem made the tone thin. With the EMGs, the feedback was horrible. I could play a note, and before I even thought of going to the next, it would feedback. Not sustain, feedback. This is the main reason I quit playing it for so long. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, it was set up worse than any other guitar I've ever seen. The mounting ring for the bridge pickup was the wrong one and was turned backwards. The volume knob was pushed all the way against the body, which made it hard to turn. It was also too close to where I pick the strings. When I played, I would gradually turn the volume down every time I bumped it. Every one of the the tuning machines were loose and rattled when I played any low note. The trus rod wont turn at all. The intonation was WAY off. The neck was loose. The back control cavity cover was missing a 2 screws. The battery for the pickups was almost dead. The strap button screws were both stripped. The thing that got to me the most was that a few of the frets stuck out over the end of the fretboard just enough to catch your finger and let you know they needed fixing. // 1

Reliability & Durability: The Guitar, although set up like it came from chuck e cheese, was fairly reliable. it's been dropped a few times, and only has about 3 dents in it. The paint on the hardware is indestructible. The only place where it is gone is on the lower side of the nut where I filed it off so that it didn't rub my fingers. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hair metal, and ironically, the guitar is far from what you would think it would sound like. I've been playing since christmas 2003, and this is not a guitar that I would recommend if you do not plan on highly modifying it. If it were lost of stolen, I would buy another one and modify it again, the same way I did, but as far as leaving it stock, I wouldn't buy it. // 5

DKMG Reviewed by: tyler_faith_08, on november 04, 2008

Features: I did another review on this guitar in it's stock form. This is the review on the modified version. The guitar's tone in stock form was too thin for my taste. I have added a bit of weight in a few places and added a Seymour Duncan '59 model pickup in the bridge position that is turned clockwise to counter the smaller size of the pickup, and a 500k pot. I removed the EMG from the neck position, and the 3 way Switch, but plan to replace it in form of a kill Switch. I also made a heavier block for the Floyd Rose that was large enough to allow me to make it a set design, instead of floating, while increasing sustain. // 10

Sound: I play this guitar through a Raven RG60 amp, and have nailed the early EVH tone. Compared to stock, it sounds like the volume is turned up to about 15 or more. The guitar sustains for longer that just about any other guitar I've ever played. it's got great lows, killer highs, and screams over the top. The great thing about it is that the lows don't drown out the highs, and the harmonics are the best I've ever heard. Bar none. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As of right now, the guitar has the lowest action that I've ever played on. It bends effortlessly, and accepts different string gauges without any intonation adjustments at all, but only after the first adjustment. This holds true with all floyds that come on this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If I could pick any guitar to use on stage anywhere at anytime, I'd pick my Jackson. I can jump around because I have eye screws and locking clips in place of the strap buttons. I've dropped this guitar from a second story deck and it didn't even go out of tune. It is nearly impossible to dent the neck, but the body will dent pretty easily. other than that, it is flawless. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing since christmas 2003, and this is the closest I've ever heard to the early EVH tone. it's easy to play, but it's only this good if it's been modified. I had a lot of specific details in mind when I purchased this guitar, and now it is exactly what I want. If you intend on modifying it, buy it. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: Incesim, on january 14, 2009

Purchased from: GAK

Features: This is my first review and also my first guitar. Not only is it top quality but it is also stunningly beautiful. This guitar comes with an Archtop, Alder body, Maple neck, Active EMG 81 and 85 pickups, 1 Volume Knob, 1 Tone Knob, Licensed Floyd Rose Tremelo, Regular Jackson Tuners and in a very sexy Transparent Black finish. Dissapointingly, I had to buy a hardcase seperatly as mine did not come with any accessories what'soever. I highly reccomend you get all the needed gear for this guitar (strap locks, fretboard cleaner, string cleaner etc). This guitar was made in Japan and is of very high quality. // 10

Sound: I only ever play metal, wheither it be black, death, thrash or any other sub-genre, I settle for no other genre. I am playing through a Roland Micro Cube which is soon to be changed. When plugged into a powerful amp. You can get a variety of tones from this guitar. This guitar has a clean distortion, it's not muddy or noisy. it's just a clean distortion which sounds very nice. Overall this is a metal machine. Your not going to a jazz show. If you want variety for the same price, go with the DK2 or alternativly the DK2M. But if you want to play metal. Choice this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall the guitar came in very good shape. I stuck some Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings on and tuned it to my prefered tuning. The Floyd Rose was in good shape. his guitar had no flaws as far as I can see, although I had to tighten the volume knob (which is very easy to do). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The neck is very comftable, it's very light to hold and it really does feel different to other guitars necks. The Alder body is light but brutal. You will get a great metal sound out of it while the guitar isnt actually that heavy. You probably would need a back-up playing Live, but that goes for any guitar with a Floyd Rose. Other than that the guitar is of very high quality. // 10

Overall Impression: The most important thing is to try the guitar. Reading reviews on the internet isnt enough. You need to try it for yourself at your local guitar store. Like I said before, I play and Live metal. You'll look pretty silly playing the Rolling Stones on this badboy. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably save up a bit more money for the RR24, but that's more money, for the same money I would buy this guitar again. Overall this was the perfect buy for me, but don't expect to be able to pick up and play. You'll need to take care of it alot. // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: aradine, on january 21, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1499

Purchased from: A & B Music

Features: This is the Jackson DKMG made in 2007, meaning it has the EMG 81/85 pickups Standard, the DKMG's built before 2007 came with the EMG-HZ passive pickups. An archtop alder body in the shape of a superstrat (in satin black finish, doesn't pick up fingerprints like the other black finish, plus in the words of Paul Gilbert "nothing is more metal than black"). It has a bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard (pirhana-tooth inlays), and is super thin. it also comes with a Liscensed Floyd Rose (not original), but as far as Liscensed models go, this one is of pretty high quality. // 9

Sound: Long story short, I got the store to take back my JS100 because of the simple fact that the Edge III was on it's death toll. extra 300 bucks got me this beauty. When I use this guitar I usually run it into a Vox Tonelab LE, with a few other effects popping in and out occasionally. Live I run the Tonelab straight into the PA because I am a cheap bastard Who would rather another guitar than a good tube amp. I play everything from blues/jazz to Tech Death Metal, it handles all of those pretty well, but being active pickups stuff like jazz etc doesn't sound fantastic, just average. But if you where to throw on some gain and chug out a few riffs, this baby screams and then some. The EMGs aren't nearly as noisy as what I am used to, which is a nice change. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: the set-up was great considering this was an older floor model that probably coped a beating from all those "HxC Br00talZ Kids". I was expecting to get home and have to get my tools out to do a couple of repairs (because no matter what kind of staff you have, you can't protect a guitar from a world of moronic 13 year-olds Who think there top shit because they can throw on some distortion and look cool), I was amazed that this guitar was in perfect condition, not a single flaw, scratch or mark on it. the bridge is great, but since it hasn't been properly set-up (I can only do so much myself), I can get a good two and a half days of beating the hell out of the trem before it is noticeably out of tune (it goes out very minorly, you would need perfect pitch to tell). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand Live playing? this thing is built like a tank, I reckon obama should be driving this thing to the inauguration rather than his caddy. the strap buttons are a lot bigger than the ones I am used to which is good, although my Dunlop straplocks don't fit over them (again cheap bastard). I wouldn't use it without a back-up for two reasons 1) this guitar is in Standard tuning, I play a few songs with drop D and various other tunings, and FRs are a pain in the ass to tune normally let alone reset the thing for another tuning 2) only idiots gig using a Floyd Rose equipped guitar without a back-up. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for nearly 6 years now, and this is the best guitar I have ever owned (not played, nothing will beat that one of a kind S series prestige I played many years back). it is very versatile, although I wish it had the EMG 81tw/89 set because I miss coil-tapping. if this where stolen, I would hunt down the guy Who stole it, because I don't have the money for a replacement, and I have to add this guitar to the insurance. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: KsEfan, on april 07, 2009

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: The Jackson DKMG is a Japanese made guitar. Mine was manufactured in 2008. The gloss black body is made of alder and it also has an arched top. (I do not recomend getting this color. Any time you touch the guitar, fingerprints show) I don't know if there is any benefit's with the arch top. So far with mine, I haven't noticed a HUGE difference because of the arched top. It also has a bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Two features that helped me with the purchase of this guitar was the EMG 81 85 combo and the licensed Floyd Rose. It has a 3 way selector switch for the EMG's. As far as accessories go, I didn't receive anything extra. I bought a hard shell case and new strings but that's about it. // 9

Sound: This guitar is fairly versatile. But from most of the features, it is a mostly metal playing guitar. At least that's what I use it for. With the EMG's you get a pretty clear sound. I find it to be brighter that pickups I have used before. One thing I have noticed with active pick ups is the added gain. On one of my clean settings that I used with my other guitar, has been turned into an almost distorted sound with the EMG's. I use it with a DigiTech RP 350. (Also a very lovely piece of equipment) Also, when it comes to any form of harmonics on the DKMG, it is a great guitar to have. Pinch harmonics (my favorite) come very clear. And with the Floyd Rose, the whammy bar gives you the ability to hit those tapped harmonics. Overall, it sounds pretty good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately, I don't know this guitars action out of factory. I had the guitar adjusted for drop C so they had to adjust the neck and the bridge changing the original action. So I very well do not know anything about how this guitar was originally set up. Other than that, after about only 2 days of playing it, I noticed the volume know was loose. This may of been because of the guy adjusting my guitar or because of the factory. Who knows? But, overall, this guitar sounded and played superb when I brought it home. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig often at all so this guitar will last me a long long time. Everything seems snug except the volume knob. About the finish, although it may show fingerprints it is pretty shiny and solid. I think it will last a long while. I am counting to depend on this guitar for a long time. After my discovery with the volume knob I wasn't too impressed but still enjoyed the sound and features of the guitar. Anyways, something as simple as a loose volume know can be easily repaired. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is a great metal guitar and can handle the punch of low tunings. It gives a good crunch and is very clear. Pretty much all of my questions were answered when I bought this guitar. Most likely yes I would purchase this guitar or something similar like the DKMGT (as I am not familiar with the Floyd Rose). I have compared this guitar to ESP guitars such as the M-1000 and the MH-401. I chose this guitar because I have a lot of good reviews on Jackson guitars. I only wish this guitar was more carefully or "tightly" built. But overall it is a great guitar. // 8

DKMG Reviewed by: iSlash, on june 05, 2009

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music Store (In Hong Kong)

Features: I believe my Jackson DKMG was made in Japan. This is one of the newer models as I believe they featured EMG-Hz pickups before but mine has the classic EMG 81/85 pick-up pair. It should be made in 2008. It has 24 jumbo frets. The neck has a compound-radius bound rosewood fingerboard and the neck itself is made of maple. My DKMG has an alder body with a black forest finish. It has a Strat shape that you should realise it has. It's got a Licensed Floyd Rose that is great. It doesn't go out of tune but tuning it is a pain (but you get used to it after a while). It's got a 3-way selector with the options of Bridge, Bridge/Neck, and Neck. It's got a volume and tone control. As Floyd Roses do, it has locking tuners. // 8

Sound: I play a wide variety of music ranging from artists like Gun's 'n' Roses, Joe Satriani, Scorpions and Ozzy Osbourne (and much more) and I found that with the proper amp settings, my guitar will do anything. I currently use my Toneport UX1 running through the Gearbox software on my computer. The bridge settings gives a very defined sound so even with major gain, the notes will be nice and clear, it's also got a bit more bite and Drive to it compared to the other settings. The bridge/neck setting seem to be a mix of the bridge and neck settings. The neck setting seems to be a bit brighter and isn't as high-gain as the bridge settings. I'd say that guitar would be more suited for hard rock/metal compared to jazz but you can't really be surprised at that if you're looking at a Jackson. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well already when I bought it. Only thing I had to do was attach the locking tuners at the top and it was all good. The only problem that I do hear is that when I push down on the whammy, at a certain point I can hear this clicking noise and when I release it I'll hear it at the same point. I don't think this can be heard in recordings or through amps though so it's not a major problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played it Live a couple of times and it's great. The guitar is pretty light weight which is great as I also have a Telecaster and that thing is a pain to carry. The hardware seems like it'll last for ages and there's no real need to modify anything. The strap buttons on mine are pretty good but one of them gets kinda loose itself and needs a screw but it's not really a problem. I wouldn't see myself bringing a back-up guitar for a gig unless I need a different tuning because this guitar would take way too long to re-tune. This guitar is also built like a tank, I've dropped it a couple times and I haven't even found a scratch. It's got an extremely tough body and neck. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before, I play a large variety of music but mainly hard rock stuff. With it's high gain active pickups, this thing is a perfect match for what I'm doing. I've been playing for about 5 years now but about 3 years seriously. I also own a Fender Standard Telecaster, a Vox AD15VT, a Line 6 Tone Port UX1, a Yamaha Acoustic and classical and a Squier Affinity Strat with a crappy Fender amp. I've got a few pedals but I can't be bothered to list them. If this guitar was stolen, I'd have to buy it again. Especially considering the price. I bought this thing for $3,800HKD which is about $500USD but it was during a Christmas sale. Despite that, it was only $4,900 originally ($550USD I'm guessing) which is an amazing price. This is definately the best guitar I have and I love it. I definately recommend it. // 10

DKMG Reviewed by: shredhead777, on july 29, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1000

Purchased from: Guitar Factory

Features: The model I own is a 2006 model, manufactured in Japan. The neck is rosewood and has 24 jumbo frets with small Shark tooth inlays that are different to the Standard "large" tooth inlays on other Jackson models. The body is an arch top, and comes in a choice of 10 colours, although mine is the 'cobalt swirl' gloss finish which I think looks really nice and doesn't show up finger prints that much. As can be seen in images the guitar is in the 'super-strat' style. The guitar came with a locking Floyd Rose whammy bar setup which performs awesomely, however changing strings and tuning can be tedious and takes some practice (you wouldn't buy this guitar for a 12 year old). The pickups on this bad-boy are crunchy as crackers. EMG Active 81/85's which are an awesome combo and perform well in a variety of styles and genres (they perform really well when run through a distortion pedal etc.)On the guitar body is a volume knob and a tone knob as well as a three way pickup selector. Like others who own the guitar have complained, the volume knob does become loose over time which is annoying, but easily fixed with a screwdriver. The tuners are Jackson tuners and work very nicely. My guitar came with no accessories or case, which was expected. It was hard to find a case for this bad boy, but when I did it was totally cool. // 8

Sound: The guitar suit me down to a t, and is awesome for metal/hard rock. Besides what others say I find this guitar quite versatile and performs nicely when clean, especially with nice Jazz or Blues tones. At the moment I am in search for a new amp, however the DKMG performs very well through my Fender practice amp. The effects I use with it are my Zakk Wylde Cry Baby and my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion, the guitar sounds great through them. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly when I bought it, however I had to quickly educate myself on how to set it up when changing string gauges etc. This is a very tedious process and can take up to two hours the first few times you do it. I recommend you memorise the gauge of your string to save you from having to continually set up your guitar. The pickups were adjusted perfectly and in many ways the sound they give is one of my favorite features of the guitar. When I first purchased the guitar it was perfect with no flaws, however as I stated earlier, everyone seems to have the problem with the volume knob becoming loose. The paint job was perfect with no flaws or marks on it, and after 3 years hasn't warn whatsoever, except for a few minor chips, which would be expected on any guitar from a long time of use and wear. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand live playing... just make sure you have a guitar technician (i.e. guy with long hair down at the guitar shop) to make sure your volume knob is on properly, if this came of in the middle of a gig. The hardware is probably the least durable thing about the guitar, with annoying little things like oxidised bolts and screws, but this can be easily fixed. No problems with strap buttons or anything like that, they are there to stay. I can definitely depend on this guitar, however I would recommend a back up just incase, seeing as the guitar is quite fiddly, and you don't want to be trying to fiddle with the set-up in the middle of the gig. The finish on the guitar is awesome and will take many years before the wear on this is noticeable. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I view the DKMG as being like a high end sports car like a Ferrari or Porsche. It is lighting fast, looks stunning, purrs like a kitting, but won't be as durable or have the longevity of other models, like say a Strat or Les Paul. I play mostly hard rock/metal on this guitar and it is perfect for it, I couldn't imagine a guitar that is more perfectly suited for a wide range of metal tones or styles. I've been playing for 9 years and have used this Jackson for 1/2 of this period, I own it with a Fender Stratocaster and a nylon string Acoustic (as well as pedal etc). If this guitar somehow slipped from my hands into a black abyss, I would probably buy another guitar...not because I don't like it, but mainly because I like to mix things up. I might go for a Les Paul-esque model of guitar, because I love that heavy, chunky feel. I love the sound this guitar makes when set up perfectly and run through my effects pedals. It sounds awesome when playing heavy riffs (Pantera, Lamb of God etc.)as well as when playing some face melting solos. I don't hate anything about this guitar, I just think the volume knob should stop being a little bastard. My loves greatly outweigh my petty little dislikes. My favourite feature is the EMG pickups, I would get these on any guitar I get in the future. They are by far my favorite feature...(The reverse headstock is pretty bad-ass too, I could take some eyes out with that baby). Before I bought this I compared it to other guitars of similar style/price like Schecter models, ESP/LTD guitars as well as other Jackson models and settled on this with no regrets. I chose this guitar because it sounded, looked and performed better hands down (much like that first time you test Drive a Bugatti Veyron). I don't wish it had anything else, it's simply brilliant, and I would highly recommend this to metal players. // 8

DKMG Reviewed by: thechum, on october 26, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I bought this guitar about a year ago on Craigslist and thought it was time I gave it a review on here. Not sure when mine was made. Has 24 jumbo frets, bolt on neck, active EMG pickups, reverse headstock, a volume and tone control, 3 way switch, and licensed floyed rose tremolo. // 8

Sound: I mainly play through a Line 6 Spider II 212 combo. I play hard rock/metal and this guitar is perfect for my taste. The EMGs are the best I have ever played. I also have a Dean Razorback with a dimebucker but after I played this guitar, I will never buy another guitar without EMGs. I don't think there is a limit to the music you play with this guitar. It is good for clean sounds, however I think it was made as more of a metal guitar. Neck is very comfortable and easy to shred. The floyd rose works fairly well. I have not had a problem with my guitar going out of tune unless I go overboard with the whammy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not much to say here. When I bought my guitar there were no flaws at all. Mine has a black finish. There were no scratches in the paint. The pickups were adjusted perfectly. None of the knobs seemed to be loose or anything and all the hardware just seemed to be perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far it has held up very well. I have not gigged with it much just a couple small gigs but it held up fine and stayed in tune. All the knobs and the switch have stayed in tact. As far as using it without a backup, I wouldn't but I would never do that anyway. However I think most people could get away with it. It is a very durable guitar. The only problem I have with the finish is that mine is black and shows dust and prints real bad. But I don't feel like it is going to fade anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from rock (KISS, AC/DC) to heavy metal (Pantera, Killswitch Engage etc) but I mostly play thrash (Megadeth, Slayer) and this guitar is a perfect match. I have been playing for about 4 years. I also own a B.C. Rich Warlock and a Dean Razorback but this guitar by far outplays them. My favorite feature is the pickups. They sound amazing for my type of music. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy a new dinky or any other Jackson. // 9

DKMG Reviewed by: diskothek, on august 01, 2012

Purchased from: South Shore Music Co.

Features: Bought brand new in '03 or '04 (its been a while). Made in Japan. Alder body and Rosewood fretboard. Reverse headstock. Mother of Peal Shark inlays. 24 Jumbo frets. Floyd Rose bridge. EMG-HZ passive humbuckers. 2 tone knobs, 1 volume. 3 position pickup selector. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal and hard rock which this guitar is perfect for. Very thin and fast playing neck allows me to navigate quickly and precisely. No white noise unless you're using a crappy amp, and then its your amps fault! The clean sounds are also pretty good, not as good for blues as a Fender but serviceable. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had the action lowered a bit once it arrived, but every other aspect of the guitar was perfect out of the box. Pickups needed no adjusting. Nothing appeared or felt misaligned. The cobalt blue swirl finish is beautiful and I've made sure to keep it that way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I noted earlier, I bought this guitar new in '03 or '04 and now in 2012 this guitar plays just as well as it did back then. The only noticable wear not caused by me is some grime collecting on the pickup screws and around the bridge. Given a deep clean, this guitar would look factory new very quickly. Have used it many times both live and recording without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this guitar. Its was worth the money brand new, and if you see a used one at a good price and its up your alley, go for it. Jackson makes a quality product whether you're buying a low-end or high-end model. Though truth be told, if I were to replace it I would go with a model that doesn't have the Floyd Rose bridge since I don't use my whammy bar often and I like to play in several different tunings which is a tedious thing to change with this guitar. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR3 Rhoads 8.9 Electric Guitars 12/12/2014