DKMGFF Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 02/11/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DKMGFF
Now you can get Jackson's incredible Dinky Arch Top body, plus the EMG TurboCharger system with an incredible new neck inlay. The Flame inlays run the entire length of the fingerboard.
 8.2
 7.8
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
DKMGFF Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2008

Features: This is a 2006 model made in Japan. It's got 24 jumbo frets with very cool flame inlays on a bolt-on maple neck (25.5 inch scale legnth). It has a reversed headstock. The body is carved-top alder with a glossy black finish, it's the Standard Jackson superstrat body style. It has a licensed (read: cheap) Floyd Rose bridge, but it's the perfectly acceptable black kind and not the terrible chrome kind. It has 2 EMG HZ's, although the newer models have an 81/85 combo, with the three-way selector and Jackson's Turbocharger system that lets you give the pickups a 20db boost (activated by pulling up on the bottom knob and then turning it to your desired level). Other than that control it has a volume and a master tone. It's got Standard Jackson tuners. All the hardware is black. // 9

Sound: I generally play fast, intense metal and rock, and mostly lead parts and this guitar suits those styles perfectly well, the HZs can handle a lot of volume and distortion without buzzing noticeably. I'm running it through a Rocktron Tri-Wah and Crate GLX 65 amplifier (the lead tone is to die for). The only downside is that the clean tones aren't particularly beautiful, but honestly if yu're buying a guitar with EMGs you're probably not looking for the greatest, most sparkling clean sound. Another thing to note is that it seems like the Turbocharger has a lot more effect on the volume of the guitar on a clean amp setting than it does when it's distorted. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit high when I first purchased the guitar, but it was a floor model so I expected that. I've had it adjusted since, and I must say that it has the lowest action of any gutiar I've ever played without string buzz, which bodes well for shred/intense solos. Everything else was set up perfectly fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely durable, it has withstood Live playing on multiple occasions, and the hardware is rock-solid. The only time the guitar ever failed me is that a few months ago, the headstock cracked around the high-e tuner (at the bottom, since it's reversed). I've heard about this happening to other DKMG owners, which makes me think it's a general design flaw in DKMGs, not just my guitar. However it is easily fixable and it only cost me $35 my local music store to remedy the problem, in fact I've heard it can be done simply with superglue. The finish seems spot-on. The only reasons I'd use a backup Live with this guitar are because of the Floyd Rose making alternate tunings a no-no, and because I'd be afraid to snap a strign because I ahve that tendency. Not Jackson's fault. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a solid rock/metal guitar. I've been playing for a little over three years, and prior to purchasing my DKMGFF in December of 2006, I had already owned an ESP Viper-50. There's no question that the DKMGFF is the superior of my two guitars. I would probably not buy this again if it were stolen, but that's only because I'm saving up for an Ibanez JEM 7V WH and I need all the money I can get. I love the flame inlays. reverse headstock, and super-low action. Before having bought this I strongly considered an Ibanez RG350, but as soon as I saw this guitar I fell in love with how commanding ithe DKMG looked. I wish I had waited it out and bought the newer version with the 81/85s, but I got a sweet deal due to a combonation of the guitar being a floor model and a Christmas sale. I'd reccomend this to any rock/metal player looking for a solid guitar for well under $1000. // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32 Rhoads 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014