DKMGT Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 01/23/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DKMGT
The DKMGT Dinky is one of Jackson's guitars that comes with their exclusive TurboCharger. This Turbocharger provides upto +20dB of boost to the already powerful EMG HZ pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Features: 8.7
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (12) pictures (4) 41 comments vote for this gear:
DKMGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2006

Features: This guitar is really nice. It was made in Japan and made well. It has 24 frets. It has the piranha tooth fret inlays and a rosewood fretboard. They said it was a cobalt blue but it looks more of a midnight blue. It is made from basswood I believe for good resonance. This is the non-tremelo model with a string through body and Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has a bolt-on neck and EMG H-Z pickups with the exclusive turbocharger (active gain boost). Strings were included but that's it. // 10

Sound: I play metal so I need the dirt and the tone. This guitar delivers. It hits all of the highs and lows that I need, and with the turbocharger it shoots the gain into outer space. I've never heard so much distortion in my life. I just use a Boss distortion pedal with my Rogue 120R amp. I hardly use the reverb on the amp. And with the EMG's there's no signal noise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved it I saw no flaws or any funny business and I still have only found one but it was fixable. The nobs for the volume and tone were loose so I took them off and applied some super glue and haven't had a problem yet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've done three shows with this guitar and it stood up where my B.C. Rich had failed. No string breaks, no tune outs or shorts. Every thing should last many years because it was very well made. I didn't need a backup for all of my shows. The finish is well put on fore I play it everyday and there's no chips or wear. // 10

Overall Impression: I think for the price range this is an excellent guitar. Better than anything else you can find for $350. I've had it for several months and it kills all of my other guitars. I have had a squire Strat, B.C. Rich Wave and an Ibanez RG350. I wish it had a floyd rose whammy but it would be a lot more in price. Overall, it's the best thing to get for $350. I mean what's better than a Jackson. // 10

DKMGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2004

Purchased from: machinehead guitars, hitchin

Features: Just got it today and wow. I have a Les Paul and Strat (american) and this beast of a guitar combines what I wanted from both of them. I think it's mainly jap made, 24 jumbo frets, in black carved top that looks great, made from basswood, very thin and extremely fast maple neck (perfect shredding ground), rosewood fret board with little shark type inlays, your basic kick ass super Strat body with the very 80's reverse headstock, thru strung body - the sustain will blow you away, seriously, the volume/tone pots were easy to get to grips with and use the variety of tones from the guitar, and it has what I like to call a fxcking sick boost feature which you activate with the pulling up of the lowest pot, and hey - the Emg's just do it all (I think its quite rare you can play authentic blues on a metal guitar), two hard hitting hummers (Emg hz's) and they even threw in some strings and a hard case! // 10

Sound: I bought this guitar as I'm steering more towards the whole thrash/shred metal genre (and loving it) so I wanted a balls out metal guitar but with some sort of style/elegance to it but Substituting no tone what-so-ever. And now I have it any way the main thing of this guitar that attracted it to me was the turbo charged emg's, which are the best. (Period) I found myself with my mouth open in amazement waiting for the notes to finish if you want a metal tone with stupidly long smoth, harmonising sustain, then this is perfect, I found the right guitar for the right genre makes all the difference, the pick-up selections are good and I found all of them to be useful, I played it through my 30 watt Marshall Avt and Korg AX1500G and it didn't take me very long to set up the tone I wanted. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The way I got it set up was fine, the action was low but with just enough tension for that tiny bit more accuracy for bends, I can't hear or see anything wrong with the pickups setup, all blends well together, the frets were rolled veeeery nicely and everything seems fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I only got it today so I cant say much apart fromt eh fact I've played and seen a load of guitars and the build quality on this example is comfortably above average. // 8

Overall Impression: For a metal guitarist, without spending 600+ I'm not sure I could have done much better, I've been playing for about three and a half years now and guitar is my life, I have a Les Paul, American Strat, Fender acoustic, and 900quid spanish, this guitar is a welcome addition and with me just joining a metal band, this will be used in confidence, I will probably be using it through my 1960's selmer stack for that extra roundness on the tone. I usualy play thru a Ax1500g effects box and it suits this fine, the turbo charger was the main sell point for me as it opens up a whole gate of possibilities that put it in front of such contenders like Ibanez (which are also nice) but I just like the overall edge to the appearence of the guitar. // 10

DKMGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 22, 2004

Purchased from: The Guitar, Amp & Keyboard Centre

Features: - Made in Japan - 24 Frets - Arch-top body - EMG-Turbo-charger - EMG Hz pickups // 8

Sound: This Guitar has the nicest sound! Its provides anything from a raw-tinny tone to a warm soft tone for clean. When distorted the pickups increase the range of the tone, amplifying the treble and bass' this sounds really nice for rythm and lead. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was perfect. Usually I play with heavy strings, sometimes 11's but i found that the 9's on the Jackson simply never rattle and they never fret-out. The feel of the guitar has dramatically improoved my playing. The feel of the neck is comfortable. However the 24th fret is out of key with the 12th and the open string. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I always have a backup simply incase a string breaks. However I would not be too worried if I only had my Jackson to depend on. I have not yet tried to thrash it around too much, im still in the protective stage. But it had emerged unscathed from several drops and knocks. Again, the un-reliable electronics drag this guitar down a mark. // 8

Overall Impression: I Play anything from the white Stripes to Metallica. This guitar has the Metal, lead guitarist appearance but its an all-rounder. If you buy from GAK ensure they have the correct item in stock before you order, otherwise who knows what you'll get! My favourite feature has to be the feel of the fretboard, followed closely by the incredible tone. I find it nicer to play then my Friends 2000 custom Les Paul. For the Price, this is a truely exquisite guitar. Except for the bloody electronics! // 8

DKMGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 22, 2004

Purchased from: john cumiskey and sons

Features: the DKMGT has a basswood body with a carved top and a maple veneer. It has two EMG HZ pick ups with a boost activated by pulling out the control knob nearest the jack input. The neck is bolted on and has a rosewood fingerboard with 24 jumbo frets. It has a tune o matic bridge with a string through body. It came with a Jackson hardcase included in the price. // 8

Sound: The through body stringing gives the guitar a lot of sustain. In order to really appreciate this guitar you have to play hard loud and as distorted as possible. The two pick ups combined gives a relly warm tone whan played clean. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar played brilliantly straight away but the intonation was slightly out. The turbo chrger pick ups give a lot of boost to the guitar particularlly when playing clean. The guitar is a dream to play with a really fast neck and ideal action for rapid scale progressions. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a great deal of punishment and really comes to life in a live environment. The only reason to have another guitar with you would be if you wanted to play solos that require whammy bar action. // 10

Overall Impression: I would play anything from Nirvana to Slayer and find that this guitar suits me very well though the lack of a floyd rose bridge limits solo playing. // 10

DKMGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2006

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: 24 fret/ Rosewood fretboard, flamed maple top. EMG humbuckers. Dark blue paint. Black Hardware. Mainly I play metal and this was my second guitar. Came with nothing but the guitar, a couple tools, and strung. comes with a gain amplifier. String thru body style. // 8

Sound: I play metal with Marshall mini and a Boss distortion. The H/H setup with EMG's is pretty incredible, with my Boss metal pedal you can go from a light bluesy distortion to classic rock crunch to full out metal distortion and pretty much anywhere in between. I rarely use the gain booster in combo with my pedal because it's a bit of overkill and unwanted artifical harmonics and sting noise will pop up all the time unless your a palm and fret hand mute nazi. In my opinion the DKMGT and a solid pedal combo can pretty much do anything. It even has a great clean tone for rythmn and lead. Pinch harmonics and Artifical harmonics sound great. Amazing sound out of either pickup. I played many guitars before and after I bought this guitar and for the price you'd be insane not to buy this guitar, even if the heavy look doesnt't suit you. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I pulled this thing out of the box tuned and began playing right away. No srting buzz, low action, thin neck, sounded amazing and still does. I play every single day and besides me dropping or my dog gnawing on the edge, it is perfect. This thing is a tank. Besides extreme temperature change, it stays in tune. And besides my 2nd day string change I have never broken a string (even with detuning, fast plam mutes, crazy bends, etc.) // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definitely withstand Live playing. Hardware is great. Never had a problem with the strap buttons. I would gig without a backup. The finish is strong but the only place I worry is the fretboard, for which I have recently begun to use fast fret. The paint is chipping in some areas where I have dropped it, but nothing major. // 8

Overall Impression: My price range was >400 and I knew I wanted an HH setup. Epiphones were a bit expensive for what I wanted and I liked the look of DKMGT so I went for it. Never looked back. I pity the people that overpay for strats/teles/etc. DKMGT has amazing tone, and durability. This guitar has grown with me and I love it. The one thing that I miss is a tremolo bridge, but I only miss that maybe once a month. If I lost it today I would replace it tomorrow with the exact same guitar. If I lost it in a couple years I might replace it with a Jackson Soloist, but until I have that much disposable cash, the DKMGT is perfect. // 9

DKMGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 20, 2007

Sound: I play metal and this guitar IS metal. Pinch harmonics come out amazing, excellent sounds on both the high and low ends. This guitar is able to make any sound from jazzy clean to screaming metal leads. I play this guitar through a Carvin XB100 halfstack beefed up by an Electro-Harmonix MetalMuff and it sounds great on the leads and clean breakdowns. The EMG pickups give off little to no noise. Notes are very distinctive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar in an unopened box and the action was the best I have felt in quite sometime, definitely comparable to very high-end guitars. I still haven't found any need to adjust the pickups from their original position. Bookmatch is perfectly centered between G and D strings. I've had this guitar for a month and have yet to find any flaws in it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. The hardware is all tightly fit and feels quite durable. Good, solid strap buttons. I would probably use this guitar during a gig without backup. The finish is quite thick and I doubt it would ever wear off without taking a chisel to it. // 10

Overall Impression: Great match for any type of guitarist, especially metal. I've been playing for 2 years, 3 hours daily. I also own an Ibanez RG320FM and a Fender Starcaster. There is absolutely no regret in this guitar. If it were stolen, I would buy a gun. I would definitely buy this guitar again. I love the metal look of this guitar, the action, and the pickups. There is nothing I hate about this guitar. My favorite feature is the headstock because it makes the guitar stand out from a lot of other guitars out there. I compared it to many other dinky models as well as a Gibson Flying V and this guitar definitely felt the best. All my wishes are in this guitar except maybe an ebony fretboard. // 10

DKMGT Reviewed by: Horror-Punk77, on august 24, 2007

Features: This beauty was made in Japan in I think 2006, or '07. It has a very playable semi-thin 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fingerboard (extraordinary fretwork), with the Jackson compound radius technology. The body wood is alder archtop, and sounds great 54with better-than-average sustain, a nice flame maple veneer on trans finishes only. It has a Jackson Adjustable String Thru Body bridge, active EMG 81 & 85 Pickups, a 3-way selector, Master Volume, And Master Tone. Non-Locking Jackson tuners which do actually stay in tune really well. Nothing was included. // 8

Sound: I play anything from Black Sabbath to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin to Children Of Bodom, and the pickyps definetly cover all of those styles. The 85 can give you a rich and warm clean, and pretty good overdrive, and the 81 gives killer distortion, and average cleans. I Drive it through a Marshall MG 250dfx, with or without effects, to me it's "that sound". Every guitarist has a sound in his/her head, and this pretty much covers it. The EMG's give Barely any IF ANY noise. It has amazing quality sound for leads and rhythm. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up perfectly, directly from the shop, but even if it wasn't, is has an adjustable bridge so you could do it yourself. The pickups sounded great, and were adjusted very well. The only flaw with this guitar is the fact that the knobs get loose easily, but it doesn't effect the way you play, so it shouldn't matter all that much. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels, and looks like a truck could run over it and it could still be playable. The hardware seems pretty solid, will last a while. Now the strap buttons will last FOREVER... Dude, you don't need strap-loks even if you want to put them for extra security, you don't need them. I would definetely depend on it at a gig, but I would bring a backcup just in case, even though this thing probably wouldn't break anyway. The finish seems like it will last a lifetime. // 10

Overall Impression: I play almost all kinds of rock/metal. It is a perfect match, isn't that what Jacksons are for anyway? I've been playing for about 4 years now, I own a cheap-o Squier which the finish is Totally chipping off, and the sound is dirt-cheap, and an Ovation acoustic. My dad has a Gibson Les Paul Supreme, and this guitar could probably match up to it. If this was stolen, I would hunt down the guy who stole it. I love this guitar. I love the playability of the neck, and I hate the fact that it doesn't even have a locking nut but, it does stay in tune. My favorite feature is probably the pickups. I would compare it to ESP guitars, and say this could equal, or beat them easily. Still, I wish it had a locking nut, and a Floyd. // 9

DKMGT Reviewed by: Rizzo!, on february 09, 2008

Purchased from: Lee Road Guitar Center

Features: No idea where this was made or when, but probably China, 2006. It has 24 frets, a string-through bridge, two EMG HZs, a very light sparkle black finish, vol/tone knobs, and a 3 way Switch. The back of the neck is maple, the fretboard is rosewood, and the body is probably alder. The bolt-neck is compensated for by a bevel in the back, and apart from that is just your Standard dinky flat-top. The headstock is shaped in the unusual Jackson 3+3 headstock. Overall, I can't really complain. // 9

Sound: The EMGs are remarkably quiet for passives, and still maintain output. However, the cleans are pretty bad, rolling down the knob doesn't affect the output much until you're in the 2-3 zone. The guitar is mostly for harder styles and shred, the neck pickup will make random notes sound like shredding if they're just played cleanly. I use it with various Peavey and Line 6 solid state amps, with a 12AX7 tube pre-amp in front for a warmer sound, and it rips. Holds up on low tones as well. I tuned down to B for a while with 13s and did not even have to knock the knob down 2. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action out of the factory was amazing. The pickups were too low, but I guess that was just personal preference. However, for some reason there's this weird pipe on top of the truss rod that has no openings, so I can't adjust it further. Apart from that, the guitar had no real flaws. Another problem is it's headstock weight, the guitar's neck will dip if you just let it go to about a 30 degree angle. I put a few lead weights in the control panel, which was really easy because apparently the panel was routed in the factory large enough to take an a // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable, it's also quite hard to make marks on the exposed wood. Unfortunately, the volume knob will get loose if you use it too much. This may just be because I use it too much or are too hard on it. I'd play without a backup. The finish is nice too, the sparkle on it makes sure that it will not look very messy when it's all wiped up into oblivion. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, for the price, I'd say this is a really good metal guitar. While it isn't that versatile, it can sure rip up for rock or metal. Any farther and it will hiccup and die. The thick finish won't give you a good blues or jazz tone, the high gain pickups won't last for the funk and alt rock, but industrial, shred, metal, and all else will be just fine. // 8

DKMGT Reviewed by: lukeuh36azabc, on july 14, 2008

Purchased from: Curly Music

Features: This guitar was made in 2007 in Japan, all Japanese made guitars are of a good quality. It has 24 frets, a thin shaped neck and jumbo frets which are all good for me because I play mostly metal which requires lots of speed and the neck is perfect for that. The fret board is made out of rosewood which looks really nice with the glossy black finish of the body how ever I would of prefered a transparent fiish. It is a bolt on neck; I would of prefered a neck through but they are much more expensive. The body is made of alder with a carved top and flame maple veneer which gives me reanablly good tone. The body is sort of a 'super Strat' shape with nice contours and it fits nicly to the shape of my body. The guitar has a tune-o-matic bridge which I like because it's really quick and easy to chage the strings and the action. The guitar came with the EMG 81/85 active pick up set which is used by many great metal legends like Zakk Wylde, Kerry King and many many others. The black pick up covers also looks great with the black gloss finish of the body. This guitar has a 3 way pick up selector which is fine for me, it also has a master volume and master tone which are fine, however I would of liked a pick up tap function. It had sealed die-cast tuners which seem to work well and it also has a graphite nut which also works well. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal put I play other stuff as well such as blues classic rock and funk. The neck is very suitable for metal and the pick ups are very versitile and can be used for pritty much any style. I am using it with a Marshall MG15CD (don't laugh) and a Zoom multi effects pedal, the tone I get out of the Marshall isn't very good but I have used it with a Randall and it sounds amazing, when I use the guitar with my pedal it sounds great I can create a bone crushing metal sound, a sparkling clean tone, or when I use it with an acoustic sim I can get an amazing acoustic sound out of it. I can get very bassy low pitched tone with the EMG's and great Treble for soloing. The EMG's are very loud but that's how they are meant to be played you have to play them loud to get the best possable tone out of them however they still sound great playing quietly. The pick ups on this guitar are completly silent no fuzz and no buzzing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar it was set up almost perfectly I just had to tune it up, the action was still slightly high for me but it is very easy to change that. The bridge pick up was a little high but very easy to change it. The bridge was very stable and was routed well. There was only on problem with the set up, the volume control was loose and kept on falling off but it was soved by just super gluing it back on and I havn't had a prolem with it since. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily stand up to giging, however I am yet to gig with it. All the hard ware seems very stable and it will last a long time. it has massive strap buttons I would gig with it without using a strap lock. This guitar is very dependable I havn't had any real problems with it yet and I would gig with it without using a back up. I have droped this guitar a lot and there is a couple of small dents but nothing too noticable and it was my fault and not the guitars. The finish of the body is very tough no matter how many times I drop it the paint will not come off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal it is a perfect match for it but it is also very versitile. I have been playing about 4 years I own a Marshall MG15CD and a Zoom multi effects pedal, the guitar works very well with the pedal but not so good with my amp but thats the amps fault and not the guitars. I am about to buy a Randall RG50TC and it seems to work really well with the Randall. If it was lost or stolen I would buy a new one or one very similar. I love all of this guitar however i wish it was a neck thourgh body construction but that would cost alot more money, my favorite feature of this guitar is the pick ups thay are awesome and you can get any tone you want with them. Overall this is a great guitar, it's worth the money and I definitely don't regret buying it. // 9

DKMGT Reviewed by: TehDutchDude, on december 04, 2009

Features: This guitar is a very fine axe. This is the DKMGT Dinky though, not the DKMGT. The difference is that I have no boost knob on it. The guitar was made in Japan. It's size is slighty smaller than a normal Strat (7/8th of normal size). The scale length is 25.5". The body is made from alder and it has a rosewood fingerboard. It also has 24 jumbo frets. It's got EMG pickups, 81 on the bridge, 85 on the neck position. Tune-o-matic bridge with a string-thru design. It has Jackson die cast sealed tuners. My guitar has a black finish and black hardware. Add some piranha tooth inlays and you've really got yourself a nice guitar for heavy metal, and pretty much anything else as well. I rate this a 9 since it's quite basic, but all parts of very high quality. It came with a very useful Jackson case. // 9

Sound: I mainly play heavy metal music (Metallica, Slipknot, Alter Bridge, Kamelot, All That Remains), as you can see I play pretty much any kind of heavy metal. This guitar is a Jackson, therefore pretty much made for metal. However, it performs quite well on other genres. If I turn the volume pot down by 8/10th, I can get a pretty nice AC/DC sound. I play this guitar through a Roland Cube 30X. It's not the best amp in combination with my pickups, yet I still get a better sound then any of my mates. With the right settings I can get an extremely raw sound, but I can also get really nice acoustics. If I set everything up right, I can get a tone which is very, very much like Welcome Home (Sanitarium). This guitar really can get you any sound you want. Since it has a TOM bridge you can downtune it, anf with the pickups you can get very nice CoB/Slipknot/Machinehead sounds. It is not noisy.. it will only make noise when you are a bad player ;) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived in it's case. As soon as I opened it I plugged it in, and all I had to do was retune the low E (it had gone a bit flat) and then it was good to go. Immediately played like a dream. The guitar contained no flaws upon arriving. Everything was how I expected it to be. The action is lovely on this thing, it is extremely low, I do get small amount of fretbuzz with the low E but you don't hear any of that through the amp. Plays like a dream! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It feels like a very solid construction. I've had other guitars in my hands, and they all felt less solid... Jackson builts very solid guitars. I did ruin the strap lock though. I screwed it too tightly, since it came a little loose. Fixed it with some toothpicks and wood glue, and now it won't nudge :) The overal quality of the guitar seems like it can withstand all the abuse that comes with live playing. "Never gig without a backup" is the golden rule of course, but you really can depend on this baby. Just make sure your battery doesn't run out ;) // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good heavy metal guitar. I have absolutely no regrets buying this axe. If it were stolen I'd probably get a Jackson Soloist, which is basically the same guitar but with a neck through construction instead of the DKMGT's Bolt on. I love how this guitar can basically do anything, and I also really love the fast neck. The inlays are nice as well. I compared it to many other guitars such as the Ibanez Iceman, a Gibson Flying V, and an ESP, but none of 'em felt right. This guitar did, and I can recommend it to anyone. // 10

DKMGT Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2010

Purchased from: Dealer from EBAY (NAMM leftover)

Features: This was a leftover, "display" guitar from NAMM 2010 I got from a dealer off EBAY. Made in Japan, has the active EMG's (81 & 85), a transparent black finish, has the "small pirhana inlays" on a rosewood neck which is bound and bolted on. Dinky Strat body with a single tone and volume knob. I convinced the dealer to throw in a Jackson OHSC with it (Japanese Jackson usually come with nothing or a gig bag). // 9

Sound: I play a variety of music from 80's hair metal up to shreddable Malmstein type stuff. I got this guitar because I have an American made Jackson SLS-3 and an a mid-80's RR-1 and figured the Japanese made stuff (for like less than half the price) can't be that bad (plus I wanted to get the 81/85 sound, I had an ESP Eclipse II with this set up and the sound is just amazing)... BUT! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came sealed in the original "Jackson Bloodline" box. I know it was display guitar at NAMM but right out of the box the neck needed to be relaxed and the 19th fret was just total junk. It was several mm's higher than the other frets. So this meant that when I adjusted the neck I could not really adjust the bridge to get really low action because the fret was "in the way." I tried to tap it down but I am not a luthier. In the end, I had to send this out to a luthier in NYC for a total fret job. This is on a guitar that is supposed to be new! It needed a $100 fret job from the factory? Jackson hello?!? Both my American made Jacksons were perfect out of the box and the SLS did not even need to be set up at by anyone, it was playable out of the case. But this Japanese Jackson came to me as complete crap! // 3

Reliability & Durability: This will be a back up guitar for me. Now that the neck is "right" I will use this behind my SLS in case I break a string or something. I wanted an inexpensive guitar but I did not expect to receive a "cheap guitar" and I would not have expected this from Jackson (do you guys have a QC department in Japan checking out your guitars before they ship to America or what? ). // 6

Overall Impression: Overall - buy American if you want a Jackson and do not want the hassles of dealing with "tweaking it" from the get go. This was a real hassle and because I got it from EBAY and the dealer was out of state (across the country) I was stuck with it pretty much. I love Jackson (and Ibanez and ESP guitars) but in no way is this DKMGT half the guitar the SLS is. The sustain is not there with the bolt on neck, guitar is a lot lighter (alder? ) - might be OK to kick around with and gig with here or there but this is not a serious guitar and I am a serious musician. // 5

DKMGT Reviewed by: duck1992, on january 23, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: - Made in Japan, 2010 - 24 jumbo frets, compound radius neck, rosewood fretboard - Maple neck, alder body, reversed headstock - I got mine in the Satin Black finish - The bridge is a JT390, string-thru - EMG 81/85 active pickups - The volume and tone knobs are pretty standard. 3-way pickup selector - Nonlocking tuners - Mine came with a hard case and a truss rod adjustment tool // 8

Sound: This guitar was unquestionably made for metal. The EMGs lend themselves very nicely to that, and the distortion rhythm tone is pretty great. It's great for metal leads as well; using the neck pickup give a nice, rounded tone that's great for heavily distorted leads, and it doesn't lose sonic definition around the higher frets of the lower string. I've had this guitar for over a year now, and played it through many amps and used it at many gigs. When I play at home, I run my guitars through a Line 6 PodXTLive, and I get some pretty nice metal hard rock tones going on it, a la Dream Theater, Metallica, etc. I play it through my roommate's Peavy 6506 Combo sometimes, and man, that's a great distorted tone. Cleans are where this guitar doesn't quite make it. Run through some clean or lightly distorted set up, the sound is doable, but really it's not the best you could do; the cleans lack a lot of definition. I've done my fair share of diverse gigs, and used this guitar for everything, from jazz to rock n roll to metal, and at the jazz gigs, aside from looking horribly out of place, it just doesn't sound right. I made it through the rock n roll gigs with a little bit more of a convincing tone, but it took A LOT of tweaking to my setup. Plain and simple, this guitar was made for metal, and you might be able to get away with some other styles, in terms of sound, with a lot of tweaking to your rig, but there's no questioning what this guitar was made to do. However, what it DOES do, it does well. I had a lot of fun and success with this guitar in metal bands. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory was, well, a factory set up. The action was a little high and the strings definitely needed to be changed out. I took it in to have it set up, because at the time I got it I wasn't too experienced with guitar maintenance, but it came back great! The lower half of the guitar plays fantastic rhythm AND leads; no fret buzz or anything like that. It's fast. Above the 17th fret or so, from the G string down, I have a little bit of problems with the strings starting to fret out. It's not bad, and none of the strings actually do fret out, but it's enough to notice a difference in feel and sustain. Coming through distortion, the tone isn't changed very noticeably, it's just the sustain that really changes. Access to the 24th fret is very possible, however I wish it was a little better. I have problems getting my ring finger to do fast stuff up on that fret, and usually have to resort to using my index or middle finger. The finish looked nice when I got it. However, it wore of way too quickly in some spots, namely the part of the body where the bottom of my forearm tends to rest, and towards the bottom of the guitar (from the perspective of holding it in playing position) right beyond the strings and pickups. I chipped the body once as well, but to fair I completely dropped the guitar on the ground, in a garage, meaning it fell on solid concrete. It was only a chip though, and I expected much more, so I was pleasantly relieved. One more complaint: Changing the battery isn't as easy as it should be. I'd prefer a snap-out compartment, like I've seen on other active guitars, but you have to unscrew the main backplate, where all the wiring for the volume/tone knobs and pickup selector is, and carefully undo the 9-volt from there. It kind of looks like Jackson just threw it in there, and the first time I changed it I had to carefully move a bunch of wires to get to it, and hope that I didn't accidentally yank the wiring out. I'm giving this an 8 because, despite the problems, it plays VERY fast and feels VERY comfortably to play live. I played some 2 hour long gigs, and the guitar was never too much of a burden to have on me that whole time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The only thing on the guitar that didn't withstand the year I've had it, which has included A LOT of live playing, was the finish issue that I described earlier. Also, like I said, I dropped the guitar on concrete and the only thing that happened what that it chipped around the bottom of the front of the body. The guitar plays just as well as it ever did after that, so it seems pretty durable. The battery life on the pickups isn't bad. Even when I'm gigging a lot, I only have to replace the 9-volt every 2 or 3 three months. I HAVE gigged without a backup before, and its a very reliable guitar. Nothing bad ever happens on stage. The strap bottons are solid, for not being locking, and the reason I dropped the guitar that one time was because of the strap itself. The finish has worn off a bit, but only in the places I described earlier. Otherwise, the rest of the body still has a great look. // 9

Overall Impression: I play A LOT of music; really, everything except country (which I'm starting to get into now). The guitar is a good match for metal, but not much else. If it were lost/stolen, and I had to money, I'd definitely consider getting a new one. I just got a Charvel Wild Card #5, and it's great, but it just doesn't do the metal like this guitar. I really love the way reversed headstocks look, and it fits this guitar very nicely. I got so used to it that when I got my Charvel, I was VERY confused for a few seconds as I tried to tune it for the first time, because I'm used to having to reach my hand around to tune this guitar. The price I paid for this guitar was right where it should be: not overpriced, but it wasn't a steal wither. The only thing I might change on this guitar, if I could, would be the tuners. It'd be great if it had grover locking tuners, but these ones get the job done decently enough. Overall, I'm really happy with this guitar. // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014