DX10D Dinky Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 02/02/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DX10D Dinky
2 Duncan Designed humbuckers produce a full palette of vintage tones, and the 5-way selector makes all of them instantly accessible.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 9.2
 8.8
 8.6
 8.9
reviews (6) 25 comments vote for this gear:
DX10D Dinky Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2004

Features: I wasn't planning on buying a Jackson guitar until one of my friends asked me if I wanted to buy his black Jackson DX10D Dinky. It is a great looking guitar and when he offered to sell it for $200 I knew that it was a steal so I took it home. It is feature packed with a Floyd Rose tremolo and whammy bar. The alder body is very ergonomic and comfortable. It is very playable and the bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fretboard is very easy and quick to play anything on. There are 24 jumbo frets. The hardware is chrome and very high quality. The tuners are die cast and of course the tremolo is a solidly-built original Floyd Rose. The controls include a master volume and tone knob, as well as a 3-way pickup Switch. The pickups are two fantastic Duncan Designed humbuckers. Some of my favourite aesthetic features of the guitar are the reverse headstock and the reverse sharkfin position inlays. These add a very unique and aggressive style. // 10

Sound: My music style includes a lot of fingerpicking and classical guitar, as well as funk, rock, and reggae. This guitar surprised me in its sound. I expected a heavymetal sound and feel but it handles pretty much any style I play with class. The sound is much warmer and richer than I expected. It has a very full sound in the clean channel and sounds bright when you Switch to pickup position if that is your preference. It also sounds great when I play punk and heavy metal on it and it really shreds when you need it to. I play it on my valve Marshall JCM2000 DSL201 and I couldn't expect a better sound from another guitar than the Jackson delivers. It sounds great distorted but I think it really shines in clean. When I fingerpick a classical song it gives me a rich tone that surpasses that of my Epiphone Les Paul. When I plug into my Dunlap Crybaby wah wah pedal, it sounds amazing wether its a funky shaft or if im just rockin out. I was originaly going to buy either a Fender Telecaster or a Parker Fly but I think the Jackson is definitely good enough and more than just a substitute. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is amazing, as I said above. It is super easy to play and very quick. The quality is astounding and flawless and I really couldn't expect any better. The paint is very good quality and really resistant to minor bumps and scratches. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar live with my band twice so far and it definitely withsands. The hardware is very high quality and definitely more than durable enough to last for years to come. The paint is thick and good quality. The strap buttons are solid and wide and hold my strap in place very well. It is also very dependable, as it stays in tune for the longest time due to its Floyd Rose temolo. I played both shows without having to retune and I do trust it enough not to carry a backup guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is amazing and worth every penny. It is very suitable for any style of music. I have been playing for almost 7 years and have done a number or live performances with 3 different groups. I have tried plenty of guitars and the Jackson is among the best. My current guitars: Jackson DX10D Dinky, Epiphone Les Paul, Martin DCXE Black (acoustic/electric), Takamine G240 (acoustic). Amp: Marshal JCM2000 DSL201 (12" combo, tube). Effects: Dunlap original Crybaby wah pedal. // 10

DX10D Dinky Reviewed by: earlswoll, on september 10, 2004

Features: This Jackson is loaded! The neck is bolted on maple, the body is alder with a flamed maple top and transparent red finish. The head stock is classic Jackson, except its reversed, and the sharkfin inlay is also reversed. There are 24 jumbo frets, 2 Duncan designed HB-103 pickups, and to top it off the floyd rose tremelo system. This guitar's set up is amazing. Also, this is the firestorm edition, which has a gain overdrive Switch that turns even the cleanest amp into grunge metal. // 10

Sound: I play mostly acoustic, and this is my first nice electric that I've owned, so I'm kind of gettin used to the electric guitar thing. I love heavy metal and I know that jacksons are a staple of metal music. It fits perfectly. I play through a Behringer V-amp and I mostly just crank up the gain. The guitar has a good variety between the neck and bridge pickups to play around with, and the firestorm overdrive of course is amazing. If you've ever played a floyd rose, then u know that it is one of the best tremelos out there. This guitar can play metal like a champ, but u can also hit it up with some classic too, make it sound great coming through a british amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I can not complain at all about the factory set up! It's close to flawless, with minimal buzzing. The finish is beautiful, with the flame maple. I wish that there was a D-tuner on it, that'd make it easier to drop to D, (with the locking tuners). Other than that, I couldn't ask for much more out of this guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only had the guitar for a little over the month, but I dropped it just two days ago and it didn't even go out of tune. The tuners are solid, the neck is solid, the body is solid, its wonderful. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think its one of the best guitars out there. I got it for so cheap because the guitar store was going out of business, they list around 600 bucks, so I was pretty excited about finding this. I plan on holding onto the guitar for a while. Jackson makes a great guitar, and I think that anyone should at least have one Jackson, because we all have that little bit of metal in our bones just beggin to be released. // 10

DX10D Dinky Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2005

Purchased from: gak.co.uk

Features: Super Strat style from the far east, bolt on neck, quilted top, licenced floyd rose trem, two humbuckers, mine includes SD firestorm pre-amp. // 9

Sound: My style is mainly metal so it's usually set on the bridge pu and distorted. Sounds as good as any other Super Strat really and the Duncan Designed pickups perform well. The neck pickup is warm and faily good for clean rhythms. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was good until I tinkered around with it! If you're not used to FR trem system, setting up can take a while. Changing string guages is an annoying task and best avoided. The action I have now reset is awesome but the intonation is a little out past the 12th fret. The finish is awesome with no flaws. Controls look fine and have caused no probs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar numerous times live and it has performed well (especially as the FR means tuning will stay true). However when I need different tunings I tend to swap for my old guitar (Dean Evo). Strap buttons and finish good. // 8

Overall Impression: As I play in a thrash and metal band the guitar suits me well and sounds just right. I also play in different bands hence owning Epi LP, Dean Evo and a Gibson 355. I probably wouldn't get another if it was stolen (probably go for a Dean ML). // 8

DX10D Dinky Reviewed by: Amuro Jay, on july 21, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I'm not exactly sure when it was made, but I'm pretty sure it was in 2005. It was made in Japan out of basswood. Mine had a transparent blue finish with a flame maple top, reverse headstock, a very fast quartersawn maple neck, rosewood fretboard, and reverse shark fin inlays. The neck had 24 jumbo frets for easy playing. 2 duncan designed humbuckers wired to a 3 way selector switch provided a wide range of sounds. And there was a double locking floyd rose licensed tremelo. It basically had everything. // 9

Sound: I play metal, and this guitar was ok. It sounded ok through my old 10 watt Crate. I could get a pretty good RATM sound through the neck pickup, but it didn't sound all that good through my friends Marshall. The pickups were weak. Duncan Designed aren't nearly as good as real Seymour Duncans. It doesn't sound nearly as good as it plays or looks. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how it was set up at the factory since I bought it secondhand. But, after I got it set up at a local shop (with heavy strings), it played real smooth. The neck was very fast. However, the locking nut wasn't very good. For a Floyd Rose, it went out of tune pretty easy. There were also a couple of chips in the chrome, but that could have been from the last guy who owned it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could definetly withstand Live playing, but be sure to have a backup. If you bend the notes a lot or pull on the whammy too much, the notes went out of tune. The strap buttons are pretty good, they never really gave me any problems. The finish on the wood is great, it looks like it will be there for a while, but the chrome finish on the Floyd will chip. // 7

Overall Impression: For $170, this was a really great deal. I had only been playing for a little over 8 months when I got this, and for the stage I was at, it was good for me. I loved the floyd rose, I just hated that it was only the licensed one. My favorite part about it was the neck. It looked so nice, and it played even better. After I took it to a shop one day, they told me that another shop (the first one I took it to) screwed up my bridge. They offered me to trade it in for 250, and I sold it to them. if this guitar had an OFR and real duncans it would have definitely been worth fixing up, but my time with that guitar was done. // 7

DX10D Dinky Reviewed by: racerXazn, on november 19, 2007

Features: I believe that my Jackson was built maybe 2 to 3 years ago. It has a black finish, with one master volume and one master tone knob, and a 3-way switch. It comes with Duncan Designed pickups, which I switched out with Dimarzios. It has a Floyd Rose Licensed locking tremolo, and a reverse headstock. It is made out of basswood, and I believe it has a rosewood fingerboard. It is a Super Strat, and they call it that because it is indeed super. The Floyd Rose unit makes this guitar perfect for metal, I havn't had to tune it for months, but your experience with the locking tremolo, the intonation might not be great or the tuning stability might not be up to par. I got someone else to tune it up for me, so it's been a great pleasure so far. // 9

Sound: This was my first guitar, but I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to guitars. The DX10D Dinky is perfect for me, I play mainly Power Metal, such as some Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, and Sonata Arctica, along with playing some melodic Death metal, such as Dethklok and Wintersun, but I also like to play power rock (such as JerryC, the infamous Canon Rock), and Paul Gilbert stuff (I'm a huge fan of his). I'm currently using some no name cheap solid state amp, but the guitar first goes through a Zoom 505II I got for free. The guitar sounds amazing, though I mainly play at lower volumes. I changed the pickup in the bridge however to a Dimarzio super Distortion, because the harmonics weren't good enough for me from the factory pickup. Other then that, I'd say this guitar is great for metal. Perhaps other genres too, but mainly metal. Though I changed the pickup, the original still had a great sound, but no pinched harmonics. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine used so I cannot tell you how it comes straight from the factory. The guitar had no flaws, and considering I bought it used, that's awesome. The best thing about this guitar is the neck. It is nice and thin, great for fast shredding at speeds you would get a ticket for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand gigging. I've played 2 gigs, and it was able to hold up pretty well. The hardware seems like it will last forever, except the Floyd Rose can go out of tune if you do a 45 degree upbend. I 'd probably bring another guitar with me, but that is just because if you need to change the tuning to an alternate tuning, no one is going to wait for you to take off the locking nuts and to retune it. This guitar is great for Live situations where the weather isn't that great, the locking system (when set up properly) will keep you in tune. However, if you break a string, then your whole guitar will go out of tune. That is another reason why not to gig without a backup when using this guitar, if one string breaks when you have a Floyd Rose tremolo, the other strings will go out of tune. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. I got it for a good price, and it perfectly fitted my needs. I at first played hard rock, so I never used the tremolo. However, as I gained more and more skill, I moved onto metal. This thing can really shred! I use it through a Zoom505II for the time being, until I get my new amp. I started playing in March of this year, but I am no dummy when it comes to guitars. I can tell you about anything from Alnico Wound Pickups to the Zero Resistance Tremolo, and I'm telling you now that this guitar is worth it. It's great for Intermediate players mainly, it is kind of like the RG 350EX, not really aimed at the pros but more in the amateur market. // 9

DX10D Dinky Reviewed by: roddy1977, on february 02, 2009

Purchased from: Cookes Band Instruments

Features: This guitar has one volume knob, one tone knob and two pickups; it's a shame it doesn't have three pickups like many electric guitars. It has a Floyd Rose tremolo system and locking nuts, which is great for staying in tune and playing heavy rock. However, the sensitive nature of the Floyd Rose does create minor problems, such as when you bend one string and play another simultaneously, the unbent string is made flat in pitch by the bending of the other string. This, of course, is a problem all guitars with a Floyd Rose system have. However, it is easier to tune than some Ibanezs I have tried, which are so sensitive that they can take half an hour to tune up. It is also possible to detune to drop D tuning using the fine tuners, with no need to loosen the locking nuts and tune it with the machine heads (though it does take at least 30 seconds, which is impractical for Live playing). Again, with some Ibanezs I have tried it would be impossible to detune to drop D without loosening the locking nuts and using the machine heads. My guitar is black and has 24 frets. It seems to chip relatively easily. // 8

Sound: I play all sorts of styles of music, and the DX10D is perfect for heavy rock though less good for other forms of music. The bridge pickup is good but the neck pickup lacks warmth. Because it has only one decent sounding pickup, it is difficult to create a wide variety of good sounds. Many people replace the pickups, and it is easy to see why. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The intonation is perfect now (though wasn't when I bought it) and the action is good, though not quite as low as I'd like. I think it could go lower with a twist or two of the truss rod, though I've yet to try this. There are no flaws, and it is a very nicely put together guitar. I've had it about a year and noticed recently that the fine tuners are getting a little stiff, though nothing too serious. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable and fine for Live playing - I've yet to break a string (apart from when I forgot to loosen a locking nut when tuning using the machine heads - idiot! ) If you did break a string Live it would be impossible to continue with five strings because the tension based nature of the tremolo system would put it horrendously out of tune. For this reason, it would not be wise to gig without a back up, unless you don't mind stopping your set for 5-10 minutes whilst replacing a string and tuning up. // 8

Overall Impression: For heavy rock this guitar is brilliant and can make you sound like any of the greats, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Slash etc. I tried other similar guitars but found this to be the best value for money. If it was stolen and I had 300 or less to spend to replace it, I would buy it again. I am a guitar teacher and it is versatile enough for me to use every day for work; it has received many compliments from my students for it's good looks. The thing I dislike most about it is the impracticality of retuning to other tunings (which occur a lot in heavy rock music) and for this reason you would need to use another guitar for different tunings when playing Live. The tuning difficulty is the price you pay for having the Floyd Rose tremolo system, which of course has many benefits. Wouldn't it be amazing if somebody could invent a guitar with a Floyd Rose type tremolo system and locking nuts, which was easy to retune to different tunings?! // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR3 Rhoads 8.9 Electric Guitars 12/12/2014