DX10DFS Dinky Firestorm Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 07/13/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DX10DFS Dinky Firestorm
Dinky Firestorm electric guitar with alder body, bolt-on maple neck construction and Duncan designed pickups.
 Features: 8.5
 8.2
 8.7
 7.7
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
DX10DFS Dinky Firestorm Reviewed by: Diamond Dave, on december 20, 2005

Features: It's either a 2005 model Japanese made Jackson Dinky, it has an alder solid body and has 24 jumbo frets on a 25 1/2 inch scale ebony fretboard. It's a Strat shape and I got a solid black finish, it has a licensed JT580 LP model floyd rose, has passive electronics, but a built in gain boost. Has one volume, one tone, and one gain level knob and a 3-way selector Switch. It has two Duncan designed humbuckers. It also has a reverse headstock and reverse sharkfin inlays. // 9

Sound: I play some classic and heavy metal (Black Sabbath to Judas Priest Painkiller stuff) and it was made for it, the gain boost gives heavy distortion at a flick of a Switch but can be altered with the control knob. I'm only using a 10 watt Fender practise amp but it still sounds awesome, I've plugged into a 100watt Peavey tube amp and it sounded insane for stock everything. It is actually suprisingly quite especially coming from my Squier. I haven't really played a huge amount of different styles on it but metal sounds great and the cleans arent too bad on the neck pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was high when I got it but I'm used to it and it was good, the bridge pickup was perfect but I plan on raising the neck pickup to increase the volume. The bridge was routed beautifully and their were no flaws anywhere. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live yet but I'm 100% confident the guitar would survive anything short of smashing it into the ground and lighting it up with lighter fuel, the hardware is solid as a rock and the trem is absolutely fine although it possibly could get worse over time with heavy use. Even though I doubt I would need to I would gig with a backup because it would take quite a while to restring the floyd if a string went. Finish looks great and should for a long time to come. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play classic sorta metal which it is perfectly suited to but this could handle harder stuff like inflames etc. confidently I belive. I've been playin for just over 3 years and the only other guitar I have is a squire Bullet Strat and this is 1000 times better. The only thing I wish I had of asked is how restring a floyd rose. If it were stolen or lost I may not buy this model again but maybe even upgrade to a better Dinky or solist model, I will definately buy another Jackson though. I love the look and I love the feel of this guitar. There is nothing that I hate about it however one of the Ibanez style heels could be convinient I suppose, my favourite feature would have to be the Seymour Duncan Firestorm gain boost, along with the reversed headstock and inlays that provide a unique look. I also played some RG3XX models from the 2005 line-up and I just didn't feel as comfortable on their necks which is why I went for the Jackson. The only thing I could wish it had was black hardware, then it would be the ultimate guitar for me. // 10

DX10DFS Dinky Firestorm Reviewed by: Richmanofaction, on july 13, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center in 2004

Features: This review is for my Japanese Jackson DX10DFS that I purchased in 2004. It has a Floyd Rose Licensed Tremolo, two Duncan Designed Humbuckers and a 24 jumbo fret neck with MOTO inlays. The top is flame maple, the body is Alder and the color is a beautiful Amber Sunburst. There are three knobs, and this particular model has the Firestorm Pre amp built into it. The features get an 8 because while it has nice things, the quality of the tremolo is lacking. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, and it has been that way for over 7 years. The sounds are diverse because you have the tone knob, the two pickups to choose from, and then you have all those options with the Firestorm engaged. For the price you get a dizzying array of sounds. I play this guitar through a Marshall MG250DFX. The guitar itself is quiet, but when the firestorm preamp engaged it becomes pretty nasty to tame. The sound is too wild sometimes, so I save it for when it is needed. It has a very sweet sound from the neck pickup without the firestorm engaged. The bridge pickup sounds good as well, but the sound is a bit thin without the FS in this position. Overall the guitar has a bright sound, and the sustain is decent for a guitar with a bolt on neck. I have played many top of the line guitars over the years, and this guitar's tone compares to my friend's Ibanez Jem. (I am just as surprised as you are). The sound gets a 8 because of the diverse, quality tones you get for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first purchased this guitar over five years ago the action was fine, and still is to this day. The fit and finish is decent, but what really kills this guitar (and this pains me to say), is that the import electronics are crap. Since day one the pots were dirty, and the FS Switch is fried to the point that I need to play with the Switch to make it work. The FS preamp is battery powered, so that has died, but replacement is just laziness on my part. There isn't an easily accessible battery slot, you need to unscrew the back panel to put the 9volt battery in. The tuning machines have giving me no problems, but I don't trust the Floyd-licensed tremolo, especially after played the real thing. The tuning locks are decent, but after alot dive bombs it goes out of tune. For some reason the pickup ring broke, but Who knows what happened during the guitars life to cause that. Overall, a 6 forthe fit and finish, because it is what you can expect from a mid-range Jackson. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood over 5 years of Live playing, and after I get my USA Jackson SL2h next week, it still will be a mainstay. The hardware has lasted (besides the electronics), and the strap buttons are solid (why wouldn't they be)? Try to buy an used one. Never gig without a backup, and the finish is durable as hell. It has been 5 years, and I only have one small nick in the great looking paint. A 9 for the long lasting, good looking paint. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned earlier, I play mostly heavy metal, anything from Dream Theater (what you can play with a six string) Metallica, Death Angel and Maiden. I have been playing for 7 years, teach students and have a youtube video series. I own an Ibanez that I modded, and a USA Jackson Soloist. I wouldn't buy it again if it was lost or stolen, mainly because I think the model's integrity has diminished since 2004. They changed the wood, and I think they FS is harder and harder to find. I love this guitar, and it was my first Jackson. I always choose Jackson over ESP, because Jackson is the original super Strat. ESP ripped them off. (There it has been said. Go to town on the comments.) As much as I would of loved to give this guitar 10s, I can't. It is what it is- an imported Jackson with imported electronics and hardware. Many reviewers on UG get caught up in the emotional Rush of buying a new axe, and via inexperience and excitement they give alot of mid range guitars all tens. I have owned this guitar proudly for 5 years and counting, and I plan on entering it into the next stage of its life by either modding the pickups or tuning machines.I gave this section a 10, mostly because for $400 dollars new I was introduced to an overall great mid-range guitar that has withstood an active life for five years. If you see one that was built circa 2004, I would scoop it up. // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014