DXMG Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 12/16/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: DXMG
Alder Body, Bolt-on Maple Neck, Bound Rosewood Fingerboard, 24 in. jumbo Frets, EMG-HZ Pickups; Controls: Volume, tone, 5-way switching; Black Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.4
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (26) 60 comments vote for this gear:
DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2005

Features: 64th note chords alder body, 24-jumbo frets, Jackson Shark fin inlays, a reverse head, a double locking tremelo, and EMG HZ humbuckers, Volume and tone controls w/3-way Switch, whammy bar. Available in gun metal gray and black. With all the specs this is all still average only because there is nothing on this guitar that any other guitar/ brand cant sell you. In exception to the fin inlays and reverse head they add tremendous style. // 6

Sound: I wanted a guitar that would allow me to play like my hero's (the Black Dahlia Murder, and As I Lay Dying). I believe I got exactly what I wanted, it lets me have the ability to play very fast wherever on the fret board, including down on the bottom near 20 through 24. This guitar sounds so heavy, yet so peaceful when not on destortion. I currently use this guitar on 2 very bad amps (15 watt Ibanez/Silvertone) with no effects, even then when I got it I could notice very heavy sounds with these EMG HZ humbuckers. The sounds that are available to play are incredable, nice for solo's and leading and I guess if your not the greatest player good for backup guitaring as well. Also I've played this guitar on a Marshal MG half stack, and it sounded just like it was live or in a recording room. I say excellent becuase this guitar was built to play and it plays very sexy, if its recording, live, or just messin arround in your house its the sound you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved this guitar everything was all as Jackson told me it would be, but there was one flaw, on the volume Switch there was a scratch- deep enough that you could see the metal. and occationally I play and it loses all sound, but nothing a trip back to zZounds cant fix. I say good because Although when I did notice this to happen I was very pissed off becuase it was brand new and already messed up, but s--t happens and they sent me a brand new guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is the most reliable guitar out there, not because its a badass Dinky, but its made by Jackson, they have been arround forever and they know what there doing. This guitar is very much capable of playing live, I have no worrys of failure. The hardware does seem like it will last, people who say there bolts were stripped and what not that s--t doesn't happen on its own, if you know what your doing and take care of it all is good forever. I excellent due to the first time I picked it up, it was very sturdy, like you could tell it was built solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a fast paced metal, 2-step, and hardcore and it is a guitar that consistantly gets the job done. I have been playing everyday for the last couple of years, so I have a pretty good idea of what is capable on a guitar. The gear I have is not so great, but I have played on friends half stacks, and pedals with all the effects, and the guitar sounds nice on them all. if it were stolen you would see my ass in prison because I had killed the guy who took it. Without a doubt in my mind I would by this guitar again, because its everything I want and affordable, but if I had the money I might think about buying a Jackson soloist. My favorite feature is that Jackson makes these shark fin inlays that are just kick ass, and not only that but it also has a reverse head, so much style on one guitar, definatly an eye catcher. The one thing I hate about this guitar is that gun metal gray is not the coolest of colors, and black shows every scratch on it. I did compare this to other brands, and Jackson prevails in almost every aspect of playability, style, sound and features. Excellent becuase Jackson makes a hell of a guitar, and if it's the Kelly or the Dinky it's going to be the best in its class. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: BlinkSG, on august 06, 2003

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: This guitar was made in Japan, in 2002, about 3 weeks ago. It has 24 jumbo frets on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has a carved alder body, dinky style(similar to Fender but more jagged, less curves). It has a satin black finish with black chrome hardware and mother-of-pearl shark-fin inlays on the neck. It has 1 volume and 1 tone control with a 3-way pickup selector. Its set up in a H/H configureation. Bridge style is Floyd Rose double-locking floating tremolo. Simple but excellent. // 8

Sound: My music style is anything from ozzy osbourne to marvin gay. This guitar stuits all very good. I play it through a Fender frontman 90 with an electro-harmonics hot tubes tube amp simulator stomp-box. It has a very smooth, creamy, heavy, perfect sound. It has a soung somewhere between bright and rich. It can make any sounds of effects you can hook up to it. I like the two EMG-HZ pickups but i think a single coil or something else in the neck position. The EMG in the bridge sounds great when played with ernie ball pure nickel wrap 10-46's. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up perfectly, as well as the rest of the guitar. I raised the action a little bit, because I have a heavy hand. I found the floyd rose a pain in the ass to setup when you've never had one, but once you learn the fundamentals its all smooth-sailing from there. I had to adjust the bridge pickup up a little bit to get the more full, biting tone that I wanted. It had no setup problems, I had to tighten the strap buttons little bit and tighten the tention on the tremolo springs, but other than that, Great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been very reliable, I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup, the finish is increadable, it hasn't chipped or got thin in any spots, and i've had it about a year now. The strap buttons had to be re-tightened 2 times, but even before that the buttons are huge and it had never fallen. I switched to DiMarzio strap-locks about 4 months ago. The hardware is solid, no ploblems, except I had to fix the toggle Switch about a month after I had it, it had a loose wire. Other than that, I was impressed. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly purchased this guitar because of price and pickups, but I was impressed with it very much. I have veen playing for about 2 yrs and ive had a Washburn old piece of crap guitar and an Epiphone SG, but I think I like this guitar alot. I would certainly buy it again if it were stolen. If something major happened like the tremolo busted out of the body while it was just sitting there, I would not buy it again, but overall this guiar is awesome. But the floyd rose was a big pain in the ass, but with a little bit of patients, you will master it in no time. If your a beginer or a intermediate player, I would suggest getting this guitar NOW. Overall a great guitar. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Features: This axe was made around 2002-2003 in Japan, it has a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. Bolt-on construction with an alder body. A reversed Jackson headstock, moto (i.e. cheap mother of pearl) sharkfin inlays. 2 EMG-Hz H1 passive pickups (the pickups are made for Jackson with a solid cover, not available in the shops like this). 24 frets with jumbo fretwire, and a Jackson made Floyd Rose double locking tremolo system. The tuners are Jackson made. 1 volume and 1 tone pot, plus a 3 way pickup selector. // 10

Sound: I play metal, from early Metallica (pre-metallica album including metallica) to Black Sabbath. I mainly play Slayer though. These pickups a brilliant, they have a lot of guts in them. The neck provides a great base to solo on, and the bridge is a straight out grunting monster. Quite quiet, I just get a hum from my amp (which is a crappy Kustom KGA10). I don't use any effects as of yet, but I am planning on getting the Boss PW-10. The pickups do carry forward a bit of mud (possibly to much mid range in them) but thats nothig an EQ wont fix, if only I had one. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the action was set a bit too high for my liking (something like 4/16 on the 12th fret), so I have lowered it to 2/16. I've fiddled with the pickup heights and have achived the perfect height now. There were no nicks on the finish, and still aren't and I've had it since march. The thin neck allows me to play at fast speeds (the other day, I recorded myself and clock myself playing comfortably at 254.577BPM. I guess my max speed will be about 280-310BPM) which make me the aledged fastest guitarist in my school. There is a problem with my volume pot however, when I turn it from 0 I will get a lot of static it will clear at about 4-5 and return at about 9-10. When I reach 10 the sound can sometimes cut out until I nudge is fractionally down towards 9. My allen key has eaten a lot from one screw in a nut clamp (but I've shifted it to the 5-6 string clamp and all is well again). The 6th string clamp on the saddle is starting to rust a tiny bit, but it ain't doing no harm. The bridge is floating well, there is absolute minimum pitch change when I do a major dive and return to normal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm not in a band as of yet, but I am planning on jamming with a friend and maybe a band will form from it. This guitar is solid as a rock. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is very well built, and versitile. It is brilliant for metal, but can be used for any genre. I've been playing for 4 (coming up to 5) years and I am entirly self taught (no teacher or lessons here), I think this guitar is brilliant. I own a shitty Encore Strat copy, which was my first guitar. This is my second. I am planning on getting 2 EMG 81's or an 81 and 85 after I buy a new amp (I like the Laney HCM30). I may get a pw-10 as I said earlier, that thing is amazing (customisable sounds, voice mode, 6-9 distortion pedals built in, cry baby, bad horsie and vox wah pre-defined). I heared that kahler are starting to make bridges again, I may get one of those beasts. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: classicrocker16, on july 24, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This Jackson is made in Japan. It has an alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, jumbo frets, EMG-HZ pickups, volume and tone knobs, 5-way switching. This guitar only comes in black. Bridge is a floyd rose which is really nice, good for music like Joe Satriani. Nothing extra came with it except the whammy bar, eveything thing was seprate. // 8

Sound: Sound is great. The HZ take most of the feedback but I play on a Fender Frontman 15R with a DigiTech RP50 which give a Dimebag Darrel sound. The sound is rich when playing rhythm but when you start to solo or get high on the neck then the sound gets dull. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it, everything they had set the standard was nice. Pickups were well adjusted. 1 of the biggest flaws for me is the finish. Once you touch it, it is so hard to get your prints off. It smuges so baddly. Also the knobs for the volume and tone have fallen off but there is a screw to tighten them. The knobs fall off bout every 2 weeks for me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This Guitar is some durability but I had this guitar for less than a year and nothing should be coming off. I dont know how long it will last. The straps are solid which is a plus. If I where at gig I would not go without a backup guitar. 1. This guitar probably wouldnt last and 2. Thats just plain stupidity not bringing a back up guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is ok. I love the sound of this guitar but its not durible enough for me. If this guitar was stolen or lost I probably would not buy this guitar. I think there more guitars that are better built than this. For price Ipaid I think it was a good buy. // 8

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2010

Purchased from: musicground

Features: Superstrat style alder body, 24-jumbo frets, Jackson Shark fin inlays, reverse head, a double locking liscenced FL tremelo and EMG HZ pickups Volume and tone controls. Looks great and makes an impression. The trem is a pretty nice one for the price and stays in tune well. // 6

Sound: I play metel, punk and hardcore. This guitar sounds ok for all but wouldn't say it was great. When playing with my band it just can not cut thru and gets drowned out very easily which I would put down tho the HZs, they are just weak! The lack the deep crunch that you would expect from a guitar designed with metal in mind is missing and the highs just tend to mingle into one high pitched blur. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Action from the shop was not good, I had a friend set it up for me and it has been fine since, It is hard to enjoy playing this guitar because of the wide neck! Its just so uncomfortable and makes siple playing become clumbsy. The finish on my guitar is also terrible, if you hold it flat in light you can see stripes in the paintwork! When I first played this guitar I thought it felt pretty well made, untill I compaired it to my friends LTD MH-100QM which was nearly 100 cheaper but the quallity is far far better not to mention the neck being much faster and more comfortable. Another point is that the nobs get in the way when palm muting! // 2

Reliability & Durability: The finish on this guitar is not good! It chipped very easily and the paint has cracked around where the neck joins. The volume nob loosens itself off the strap buttons are ok but I changed them before I used it for gigging. I have had this guitar for 3 years and it hasn't stood the test of time well, I have a prs Tremonti SE which cost me almost the same and that guitar looks and feels like the day I bought it. // 1

Overall Impression: Overall a very cool looking guitar and this is what appealed to me, My advise would be to save another 100 and get the DKMG instead which looks almost the same but plays and feels the way this guitar should (plus active emgs). If you are looking in this price range then I can't recomend the LTD MH-100QM highly enough as its cheaper has a better quallity feel and finnish and the duncan designed pickups actually have more about them than the HZs. Final thought would be... Its a lot of money for a guitar that looks pretty but performs badly. // 4

DXMG Reviewed by: the_state, on february 16, 2004

Purchased from: Aylesbury Music Shop, Bucks, UK

Features: 2 EMG HZ passive pick-ups, 3 way selector Switch, 2 way locking Floydd Rose whammy, 1 tone 1 volume control, Reverse headstock, Alder body, Strat style body, Bolt on maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, 24 Jumbo frets, Mother of pearl shark inlays, Colours - Black or Gun metal grey (though I have seen a blue one before). // 10

Sound: It's easy to look at this guitar and say it's a metal guitar and can't do anything else but that is VERY wrong. I've played very soft clean tone pieces on this guitar that sounded better than on my Yamaha acoustic and on the other end of the scale I've totally powered out an Ibanez one of my friends has. The tone is a very rough yet quite cheery (think classic 80's metal), though if dropped to C tuning it's a very nu metal sound. I use it with a Marshal MG series amp going through a Korg multi effects block and all of the 90 odd effects sound fantastic and the sound is fantastic. The whammy bar is an excellent feature and can withstand the most ridiculously powerful dives in history and still remain in tune and because of the whammy the range of PMing you can get is much greater then through body stringed guitars. The ony dislike I have is the occasional feedback that comes through when the amp is very high (e.g. 9 or higher) but other than that, the sound is a solid and versatile one. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar when I bought it was perfectly set up (though this may have been down to the shop I bought it at), the body and neck itself was in fantastic condition and all feels very sturdy. the Floydd Rose is nicely fitted into it's home and doesn't look as if it will ever be coming back out which is reasuring. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a definate gig go-er without a backup, I've seen it used by Metallica and Evanescence and I doubt that it would cause any trouble live, especially with the locking headstock to prevent de-tuning. Generally I believe this guitar could withstand a nuclear war with only a few scratches... maybe not even the scratches. The only problem I've found is that the volume control has gone la-la and crackles whenever used (soon to be sorted out). Other than that little niggle the guitar was and has remained in perfect condition, even after several... err... "incidents" that may or may not involve door frames. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression has not changed in the year and a half I've owned this guitar, I still belive it has not only given me more confidence but has also improved me much quicker than if I had still been on my Strat. The guitar is highly reliable and extremely versatile and is a joy to play (also is MUCH lighter than just about every other guitar around). I don't know of anyone else who is as happy with their guitar as I am and I know quite alot of guitar owners. The only thing I would like to see is an active EMG neck pick-up instead of the passive one. This guitar would be sadly replaced if lost or stolen as it has quickly become my own guitar and not just the guitar I play every now and then (sad I know). I would highly recommend to any player no matter what experience level except an absolute begginer as it does require some skill to play. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: metalhead4344, on september 30, 2004

Features: Great features for a guitar this cheap. I believe its Japanese made, but I'm not sure (mine was made before the Fender buyout of Jackson). 24 fret rosewood neck with sharkfin mother of pearl inlays. Body is a flat top soloist style (just a little diff than a Strat). Reverse headstock, etc. It came with a FR II (licsenced of course, but I really can't tell nay difference, it works just as good). For some reason my DXMG has a 5 way Switch but only has 3 pickups, I'm thinking that the 3 way pot was damaged and replaced. // 8

Sound: Suits my music style perfect, I mainly play old Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Iced Earth crazy metal. The EMGS are passives (personally I'd like to replace them with actives, when I have the money). I'm using it with my Tech 21 Trademark 10 (going to replace that soon too), and I can get tons of great metal sounds out of it. From a tinny trebally tone, to a real bassy rhythm sound. Some say it doesn't sound that good clean, nut mine sounds great clean through my 1959 Gibson 6 amp but then again through that anything does, but overall it sounds very good. Only problem is the electronics are kinda staticy when you turn the volume or tone knobs, but this doesn't affect playing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got mine used, so theres some scratches, and one good sized dent on the edge of the body near the jack. But again I got it used and from what I've heard it comes great from the factory. I put GHS Boomers on it (10s), and I have a little bit of buzzing on the bottom string, although I pick pretty lightly this doesn't bother me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I had with it was the person who had it before me installed a block on the FR not a problem I would've done it too, the problem was that the height screws holding the bridge onto the body were srtipped and coming out, and some epoxying stays in just fine. // 8

Overall Impression: Very good guitar for the money, if mine broke I'd buy a brand new one. Or move up a model to the DKMG. I'm just slightly unhappy about some of the work I had to do to it. // 8

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 29, 2004

Features: This guitar was made in Japan in year of 2003. It had 24 jumbofrets. The frets were all too big and jumbo for my taste. Alder body, rosewood fretboard. These two types of wood could, in theory, be turned in to a good guitar. The guitar is like the Explorer, only neater. Licensed floyd, locking nut and terrible tuners. The crappie tuners are no big deal though, since you have the locking nut. The guitar have two Duncan design humbuckers (passive). The tone is not possible to tune as the guitar has a volume knob only. // 6

Sound: I generally played black metal with this guitar, and it was quite suited for that. I think the sound that came out of it was more death metal though. I played on a Marshall JCM800 bass, with a 4X12 guitar cabinet. Distorted by a Metal Zone. It sounded kind a bad, very lifeless. Something lacked, but it had the potential. The guitar did not have much tone or sustain. I bought a real Duncan Invader and it helped a lot, because the Duncan design copy was very bad. I felt I got some of the things the guitar did not have before by doing this upgrade. The stock humbuckers was not noisy compared to other guitars I have, and have played. The rating is from before picup changing ofcourse. The wood used here is not the best, but the Duncan designs has to take some of the blame. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was not well. Picups was to low. The volume knob became loose after a month, and had to be tightened. The finish falls very easily off. The neck was poorly cut. The guitar is neck heavy, did not remember that from playing it at the store, but no big deal. Frets too big. Needed hell a high action to not get fretbuzz. The guitar was not intonated. The guitar is not good to play. Everything on the guitar feels cheap compared to a Mexican Stratocaster at the same price range. // 2

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems solid enough. The strap buttons is tight, but to big to have those cheap plastic straplocks on them. The finish is not good; it's goes of the guitar fast and it will not last! For gigs it is 100% dependable, as long as you don't throw it in to the drum kit or something. I heard some squeaking sounds from the bodywood sometimes, and did not like that. Everything but the paint seems solid. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar fits metal, that's more or less it. It's better than a BC Rich I guess, but the quality is quite low. I really like the look of it, but I hate the lack of sustain, poor tone, the all to jumbo frets, neckheavyness, cheap look and feeling. I have to admit that I bought this guitar because I thought it looked so damn cool at that moment. I think a guitar at this price should be better. An Epiphone or Mexican Stratocaster at the same price has better playability, sound and overall quality. I would not buy this guitar again if it were stolen. I have in fact sold it already. // 6

DXMG Reviewed by: metallifan1, on march 11, 2006

Features: This guitar's features are pretty good. I believe this guitar was made in Korea or Japan. It has 24 extra jumbo frets with a rosewood fretboard. The Strat style body is alder with a bolt on maple neck. the finish on the body and headstock is an awesome deep, dark, glossy black. The bridge that it comes with is a Jackson nock off of a FLoyd Rose, but to tell you the truth, it looks pretty much exactly the same. However, the pickups it comes with are decent, but are the passive EMG-HZ's. I myself am going to get an EMG 85 in the neck position and an EMG 81 in the bridge. That is what would make this guitar godly, besides the bolt on neck. The selector is a standard three way Switch with one volume and one tone control. The tuners are grovers and they are decent. // 8

Sound: My music style is mainly metal, so the EMG's provide plenty of crunch for the rythym sections, however the active EMG's would give it that extra push it needs for the leads. My amp is a 65-watt Crate amp with several digital effects (even though I Hardly ever touch the effects). Distorted, the guitar is awesome, but the clean channel can tend to get a little thick and not so clean as you might want. With the double locking bridge, you can dive bomb or sharpen just about any harmonic you want. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came exactly like I would want it. I don't have very heavy fingers, so the nice low action was perfect. The pickups were adjusted exactly how I wanted them, right up under the string. The only flaw that the guitar had just so happened to be major. The bridge was routed a little high, but it was nothing my dad, a master craftsmen couldn't route out a little. I was scared to have him do it, but he convinced me and it came out perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. I think if I were to use it every night live, it would be fine (once I put the active pickups in). However, I would never go to a gig with out a backup, just because accidents happen and it would be a risk I am not willing to take. The finish is really good. It's thick, and it looks like it will withstand some serious shredding. The strap buttons are realy big and they seem to be like they are set in deeply. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is all you need for metal or any style of hard rock. I've been playing for just over three years and the only other guitar I own is a piece of shit Squire Strat. My old amp is another hunk of shit Crate 10-watt amp. Before buying this guitar I wish I would have asked if it came with a real FLoyd Rose, just because it would have been cool to have one. I love the finish and action of the guitar. I don't hate anything about the guitar. Before buying this guitar, I compared it to a ESP LTD KH-202. They had basically the same specs. The only reason why I bought this one was because I like Jacksons better and it was about ten dollars cheaper. If someone were to steal this guitar I would personally bomb there house and make sure they didn't live to see another day. I f it were lost I would probably save up and get a Dimebag Dean guitar. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: acerockcola, on may 12, 2006

Purchased from: used music store

Features: This is a fantastic japanese made 2005 model Jackson DXMG. It has 24 frets, has a thin, very fast neck, maple neck, black quilted top. It looks like a Dinky (Strat), and has a great licensed floyd rose tremolo. Volume and tone knobs, 3-way pickup selector. The pickups are amazing emg hz h4s, the sustain is perfect, I never get feedback, and pinches sound perfect. As with most floyd rose guitars, there are locks before the head to prevent the guitar from going out of tune. I absolutely love this feature, and to tune it you just have to unlock it with an allen wrench (very easy). // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for playing metal, or actually any type of rock, and even some blues. I use a 75 watt Line 6, set to insane mode (really metal), and just thrash forever. I play many other genres of music (rock, blues, punk, everything) and it performs perfectly for those as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect, everything was perfect actually, right out of the store, I didnt need to adjust anything. The neck is straight, there is one small blemish but thats because I bought it used(nothign for you to think about) other than that the guitar looks beautiful). Really shiny. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything seems lasting, except for the volume knob seems like it would easily come off but I would still trust it during a show. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is the best guitar you will ever get for 400 or 500 bucks. The pickups are fantastic, and this is just a really fun guitar to play. I recommend it for metal, but it would work for anything. The tremolo is absolutely fantastic, and I would say this guitar has better sound than my friends Gibson SG ($700). When buying this guitar I thought it had EMG 81s as advertised in AMS, but when I saw it didnt I bought it anyway; I had played it in the store and loved it. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: GiBsOn GoOrOo, on june 14, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Sound: I is very good for and kind of music. I can play music from Van Halen to AC/DC to the Stone Temple Pilots. I love playing any kind of classic rock. I am using a small, piece of crap Yamaha amp with a Korg Pandora PX4D (aka Pandora's Box) which makes it sound amazing. The guitar can be really crunchy and metal, very clean and acousticy, or very loud and rockin like Van Halen stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory and I got it super quick. everything was adjusted perfect and everything I bought was included. The strings it came with were awesome too and lasted a really long time. The only flaw was that there was a small scratch on the top of the headstock when I got it. Barely noticable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can definitely withstand live playing without a backup. The hardware and finish will last a very long time as long as you dont treat the guitar like crap. The strap buttons are good but the strap comes off really easily. At least mine does. I recommend getting new strap buttons with the order. You could also get securers to make the strap impossible to fll of. Musicians friend sells all of this except the pandoras box. // 9

Overall Impression: I Love to play rock and roll. I have been playing a few years now and am learning really fast. I own another similar Jackson, a beinner Yamaha, and a Washburn bass. If my guitar got stolen I would find whoever stole it and kick their ass. I'd buy it again if I had to though. I love everything about it. The floyd rose can be a pain while restringing but you get used to it after a while. You just need your alen wrench handy. The one thing I hate is tuning. This guitar will stay in tune through an earthquake but after a while you want to adjust it. It takes a very long time but it is worth it. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: Axeforblank1, on september 04, 2006

Features: This killer Jackson Dinky has 24 Jumbo Frets, a solid top, alder body with maple veneer top, bound compound radius rosewood fretboard, double cutaway body, floyd rose licensed locking tremolo, passive electronics, volume and tone controls, 3 way selector, two EMG-HZ pickups, and Jackson custom tuners. No included accesories. // 10

Sound: This guitar is great for guitarists Who love to solo. Its pickups really magnify the higher end of the musical spectrum. It's a good metal guitar. I'm currently using a Behringer V-tone amp, and most of its built-in effects and it sounds great. It has a very full sound and really isnt noisy, or bright. It can master dark metal riffs as well as scream any solo you can dream of. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar seems as if it was set up perfectly in the factory, the action is perfect, the pickups are well adjusted, and there are no flaws. the top is perfectly bookmatched and the bridge is properly routed. Mine has a deep black finish, but I also comes in grey, red, and blue. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand a gig without a backup, and everything appears to be able to withstand anything, even the finish is perfect. The strap buttons are solid, and the hardware is cool-looking and durable. I haven't played live with this axe yet, but I'm looking forward to showing this beauty off // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a metal guy and this guitar is the perfect match for the metal genre. I'v been playing for about 3-4 years and I also own a V-Tone Guitar Pack, by Behringer, and an Epiphone SG Special. If it were ost or stolen, I would buy another, hunt the theif down, beat his ass and take it back, and then I would have two. I did compare it to an Ibanez of the same caliber and a Dean, but when it came to playability and tone, this guitar just blew the others away. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2006

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Sound: It suits my classic metal to nu-metal style perfectly. I'm using a 1961 no name solid state amplifier. I also use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal. the EMGs tend to get too sharp when I have the treble all the way up on the MT-2. So I just turn the tone knob on the guitar about 2/3rds of a full turn, and it fixes that without sacrificing the highs. This guitar can produce any sound you want. I guarantee it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great. The pickups needed to be raised a bit. Everthing was done right. I did have a loose volume knob. But these particular knobs have a screw in the side so that an eyglass flat-head screwdriver will tighten it. The finish I have is beautiful, as with any other Jackson finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this guitar will withstand Live plaing. The hardware will last forever. The strap buttons have given me no trouble. I have a slight mark in the lamination. You should never go on stage without a backup. No matter how good the guitar is. I have played this guitar up to 2 and a half hours straight. I believe that it can take the punishment. // 9

Overall Impression: Great for anything. It just seems to be able to do anyting I want it to. I've been playing for a year and nothing beats a Jackson. Not even Gibson (excluding the Explorer) or Fender. I don't like Fender anyways. An Epiphone Les Paul is good, but it's harder to reach the higher frets, plus it comes with 22, I like 24 only. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2006

Features: Mine is an '06 model, and made in korea. But to get more to the point, it has 24 jumbo frets with a double-locking, floyd rose approved trem. Shark tooth inlays on a sleek, fast, bolt on maple neck with rosewood fretboard, crowned with an agressive reverse headstock. Ascending to the body, it is loaded with two EMG-HZ humbuckers (which mind you are passive and won't get the same output as actives, like and 81 or 85) but are still very fat, juicy, and thick. What's good about this guitar is the alder body, which allows you to reach all the way up to the 24th fret. // 8

Sound: In the words of Peter Griffen "sweet". very versatile. Sounds great when clean and a bit of chorus added to it. And when you wrench the pickup selector to the "down" position, boost the highs and lows, and crank the gain, it's tonal heaven. Harmonics are very easy to get when pinching out artificials, but it's hard to get the 3rd fret low E to sound clear. But if you're not into harmonics, then it shouldn't matter. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The colors are great. I own a gun metal grey (how cool of a name is that) and it's beautiful. It also comes in ebony, which is cool too if you don't want something as flashy. But the one thing that has really stunted my playing style with this baby is the locking trem. At first, it was great. Stayed in tune perfectly. But after my first string snap, no matter how tight I wound the locking nut, it still whent out of tune. Even after I had it set up professionally, it still wouldn't cut it. But again, if you're not huge on the dimebag squeals like I am, then don't worry about it. An occaisonal dive bomb won't hurt anything. Also, the action is very, very fast. The neck is sleek and flat, so all you dragon force fans out there should have a great time with this shredder. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Awesome. Everything is perfect. The body is solid and withstanding, the pickups are built to last, the knobs never come loose, and strings rarely brake(took me at least a month and a half before my high E finally snapped, and I play hard). And, as expected of most Jackson instruments, probably wouldn't break unless smashed against concrete (but don't test it, she's too pretty to be scuffed up), intentionally // 10

Overall Impression: I've never been happier. I'm picking up a new Spider II halfstack soon, and my arsenal will be complete. A perfect duo for metal. This is a great guitar for beginners as well as active musicians, and it's amazing for the price. However, If you want the sound of this guitar, but don't really like the cosmetics, go with a Jackson King V or Rhoads, which are both great guitars. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2007

Purchased from: Grand Central Music

Features: This guitar was made in 2005 in japan. It has 24 jumbo frets, on a rosewood neck. Alder double cut-away body, gun metal gray finish. It's a very basic guitar. Reverse headstock, crappy Jackson tuners (which don't matter because of locking tremolo), licensed Floyd Rose locking tremolo. 1 volume 1 tone, 2 EMG-HZ passive pickups, and a whammy bar. // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar is what actually made me write this review. I play a wide variety of music, but my favorite genre would have to be metal. I play pre-self titled Metallica, Jason Becker, Dethklok, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Dragonforce, and all different kinds of complex guitar music. In every situation, this guitar performs like nothing I have ever had before. I hear every nuance in speed picking Metallica riffs, blazing sustain in harmonized arpeggios, and when I tune to c or even a I get gut wrenching chunk out of the lows. The best way to describe the sound of this guitar is versatile. It can be used for any tone style or genre of music. I use a Line 6 spider something or other with a cry baby and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. I had an off-brand squire Strat when I fist started playing almost 8 years ago, then I got a Schecter in my freshmen year of high school. After I started defining how I played, I decided that I wanted to get a Gibson SG. I got it in my sophomore year along with a Marshall full stack. That guitar was OK compared to the DXMG. I sold my Marshall to finance a gaming computer, but that's a different story. Retail, I paid 800 for the SG, and sold it to a friend last year for 300$ to buy the DXMG. The DXMG can hit every squeal or pinch you want. The only problem that I have noticed is hitting the natural harmonic on the low E 3rd fret is sometimes muddy and hard to achieve. Other than that, anything is possible on this guitar. I haven't noticed any buzzing or noise that distracts me from playing. Other than the problem with the 3rd fret, this guitar will perform beautifully for anyone with skill above a begginner. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly, whether it was set up in the factory or the store I purchased it from. The action was perfect because I have light to medium weight fingers, and I can play almost anything with no strain. The pickups were perfect as well, to this day I have yet to adjust them. I am, however, going to Switch out the pickups for EMG-81, 85 when I can save up enough money. Everything was set up perfect, off the shelf this guitar is ready to shred, pluck, drop, and throw (not recommended) any time of the day, any day of the week. No adjustments are need for an intermediate player, but for those Who are beyond the basics, this guitar can be customized with pickups and some really minor stuff, to be an excellent affordable axe. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. In fact the other day, I spent about 8 hours straight without setting the guitar down, and I was still in perfect tune from beginning to end. I attribute that to the locking tremolo which is tough to get used to at first but once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite simple. The hardware seems like it was forged in a volcano; no rattles, no wobbles, no nothing. I was very surprised to hear that people have had trouble with the volume knob and their selector Switch. Using this guitar in a gig without a backup is possible, but definitely not wise. What if a light fell on it and crushed the pickups? Or tripped on a patch cord and stood up to discover your axe is in two parts? Always be prepared, take 2 DXMG's! The finish is incredibly durable, I have yet to scratch it or see a thin spot. I've even ran it into doors without marking it, knocked it into a counter top, and while stretching, introduced the headstock into my ceiling fan. This guitar is tough as nails. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar can perform for any style of music, but for you poor metal heads out there, this is the absolute best guitar you can get for its price. After almost 8 years of playing, I've gone through 3 guitars 4 amps, and 1000's of picks, but I'll tell you all something; I wish that I would have kept my full stack to combine with this guitar. If someone stole my guitar from me, they better hope I never find them. The pain and suffering I will bring to their life will be unmatched. The only thing I wish it had are EMG 81 and 85. Otherwise, I will replace this guitar with itself until they stop making them. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2007

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Since I bought it used, I do not know what year or where it was made, but in reality, that doesn't matter. It has 24 jumbo frets on a flat/thin rock maple neck with a rosewood fretboard that is bolt on. The body on the one I have is alder with a maple top, but the one now has a basswood body. The bridge is a liscensed double-locking "low-profile" floyd rose tremolo with a detachable bar. Tuners are non-locking stock (Jackson) tuners. It doesn't come with anything. The pickups are passive EMG's. 3-way selector, 2 humbuckers, 1 volume nob, 1 tone nob. // 10

Sound: This guitar is made for metal! I play metal and the emg's work perfectly for metal that give you great crunch and sustain. I play it through a Marshall MG series amp with the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal. The good thing about the EMG pickups is that they are quiet and do not get a lot of noise, but are not silent completely. On clean, the middle and neck positions give you a very thick and bassy sound. Because of the floyd rose, you can get dimebag squeals (best on g-string), Slayer sounds, and deep dives. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since this guitar was not Brand New, I do not no if the owner ajusted it in anyway, but I did, and with the action adjusters it is really easy to get little or no buzz what'sover. Because it's a Jackson, naturally it has great action. I had to adjust the pickup height a little, but it was extreemly easy. The neck is really fast, and great for soloing. Out of my two guitars, I use this one for doing my sweeps and tapping. It feels really good with light gages, I use Ernie Ball super-slinkies, which are really good for this guitar. No flaws, except for one thing (I don't even no if this is a flaw) the finish is thin and you can easily see the grain of the wood. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable, and will last a long time. If I do a gig with it, I will bring a backup because it is a floyd rose guitar, and if you break a string on it, it is a hassle to re-string (but that has nothing to do with the quality of the guitar). The finish does seem like it might have problems, but I haven't had any. If you do, just put stickers of your favorite bands on it, it is a good guitar for that. // 8

Overall Impression: If you play metal, it is a perfect match. I have been playing guitar for a year, (I am now 13) but people have approached me at guitar center asking me if my parents started me off when I was really little (I can sweep and tap and play all of bark at the moon and much more). They're amawed when I tell them no. If it were lost or stolen, I might not get it again and get something even nicer because by the time I lose it I will probably have more money. I compared it to the DKMG, and it is just as good, just with slightly different pickups and is cheaper. All in all, a great buy. // 9

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2007

Features: 64th note chords alder body, 24-jumbo frets, Jackson Shark fin inlays, a reverse head, a double locking tremelo, and EMG HZ humbuckers, volume and tone controls w/3-way switch, whammy bar. Available in gun metal gray and black. With all the specs this is all still average only because there is nothing on this guitar that any other guitar brand can't sell you. In exception to the fin inlays and reverse head they add tremendous style // 8

Sound: I was very pleased with the sound I got out of the emg pickups. You can easily get the crunch metal tone like As I Lay Dying and Parkway Drive. Divebombs are a pleasure to execute with the floyed rose tremlo. When you Switch to playing more mellow clean stuff the pickups have a deep mellow tone which sounds great when playing songs like Metallica. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recived the guitar the tremlo was in a right state, and was all over the place. It had just been thrown together in a factory and sent to me in a box and was impossible to tune, but a trip to the local guitar shop to get it set up didn't cause me any harm and now it plays perfectly. The action is perfect now I have set it up properly and it's a pleasure to play. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So far I am very pleased with the reliability & durability of this guitar, but I am yet to play it Live. The only problems I have had with the guitar is that the strap falls of constantly and the volume knob has come very loose but nothing too major. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal/hard rock style and it has met to my standards very well so far. I play this guitar through a Fender 100 watt combo amp and I use a DigiTech RP250 processor to get my perfect distortion channel. If I lost this guitar I would be gutted and would deffinatly buy another! I love the reverse head stock which makes this guitar original from any other in it's price range. I recomennd it to anyone who is looking to buy a guitar in this price range! // 9

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2008

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: Jackson DXMG is a great guitar. I own the 2008 version that comes with a improved Floyd Rose, altough is not low-profile. It features two EMG-HZ, black hardware, reverse headstock, alder body, 3-way pickup selector, one tone knob and a volume knob. Doesn't includes any kind of case or gig bag. // 9

Sound: This guitar is great when it cames to sound. It gives you a nice sharp and clear tone, I think because of the combination of EMG-HZ and the alder body. I am using it through a Boss ME-20 and a 60 watts LAB series Norlin amp. It is a very versatile guitar. With distortion you can play from Van Halen to more heavy stuff. The clean sounds are warm and great and the tone knob is very usable. You can definitly play some blues and jazz with the neck pickup. The bridge is more chunky and brilliant. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was very good out of the local store. The action is in the right point, the intonation was good no alterations need. Altough the floyd was not in parallel with the body. I had to unscrew the backplate and adjust the springs. There is something that is curious too: the guitar stays in tune whatever you do. Altough(I dn't know if it's my one only) there is a click-clack noise when you pull the bar all the way down and thn pull it up. But stays in tune. that's what matters. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very sturdy and feels very strong. All of the components are high quality and the finish will last. All is very solid I have nothing too complain about. The paint will last, but be be careful it scratches very easy. The metal type of the floyd is very strong and all of the guitar is very strong. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar after a lot of search in the web and trying a lot of guitars. I came out of the store with this one cause it was in my price range(I tryed the Jackson DK2 but I prefered the DXMG). In the store it fit in me well it was very confortable to play. I play for 3 years and this is my second guitar. But the better way to know if you like is go to a music store near you and try it yourself. You might hate it or love it. I love it and it is my main guitar now. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: JayKay12, on january 14, 2009

Features: My DXMG was made in Japan. It has 24 jumbo frets with a maple neck. It's just plain black. The DXMG is a dinky with an unbelievable Floyd Rose. There is one volume knob, one tone knob, and a three-way Switch. The two EMG pickups really give it an awesome sound. one is placed at the neck, and one at the bridge. It has a double locking tremolo so it locks at the nut AND the bridge. // 10

Sound: I play a load of metal, but I also play a lot of light rock and acoustic music. It can fit into any crowd. I just got it for Christmas and I also got a Spider Jam amp which is amazing. On Christmas day I hooked it up and it sounded so beautiful. It is not noisy. I can play it on insane and I don't hear static, but when you want it to, it will pick up slight touches to the strings. I have made an abundance of sounds from dime squeals to amazing pinch harmonics. The DXMG can just about do anything. If by game and non guitar sounds, it can do pac man, I made it sound like a space ships and bombs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great; I could play it at ease. The pickups were perfect. I didn't even have to touch them. The guitar had no flaws other than when I first started playing it, the D string kept going out of tune. After about four times retuning it, it stayed in tune. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I am pretty sure this guitar will withstand Live playing. Nothing has gone wrong. The hardware seems like it will last an extremely long time after what I put it through. The strap buttons are indeed solid. Yes, I would depend on this guitar to bring to a gig by itself. I would only bring two if I had to Switch tunings between songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play a lot of metal, heavy rock, and light rock, but some acoustic. It can play any of it. It sounds beautiful when clean, and will make you cry on distortion(in a good way). I have been playing for almost a year. I taught myself. I almost own a Squire Fender Strat, a Fender 15w Amp, a Cry Baby wahwah, and a Spider Jam 75w Amp. I don't think I needed to ask anything before I bought this. If this guitar was stolen, I would buy it again only if I had the money. I can't just buy $450 things all the time. I love how it has 24 jumbo frets, it has a Floyd Rose, and sounds beautiful. I don't hate anything about it, yet. I haven't tried changing strings. My favorite feature is the bridge/tremolo. I loved how I can go down so low, so smooth, then pull up a few notes. I highly recommend this guitar. You will not regret buying the Jackson DXMG Dinky. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: devinsux7, on july 23, 2010

Features: The guitar was made in 2008 in a foreign country. It has: 24 frets with sharkfin pearloid inlays in a rosewood fingerboard. Glossy black body. Liscenced Floyd Rose Active EMG-HZs Volume, Tone, and 5-way selector controls Locking tuners I love this guitar, especially because of the floyd rose, its my first Floyd Rose so i absolutely love it. // 8

Sound: I mostly play metal and deathcore type of music, so this guitar suits my playing style very well, especially with .11 gauge strings. I am currently using this guitar with a Line 6 HD150FX with a Line 6 412 cab. Mine only has any fret buzz when I turn the tuning screws too low. This guitar goes from LOW lows to wailing highs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was put together okay but I changed ALOT, the action was wayyyyy to high. The only flaw that I found was two or three oxidized screws on the back of the body. The action that I have on it right now is very very low so that I don't even have to pick at all and you'll still hear everything. The locking tuners are great and have never messed up yet. But it is a hassle to change the strings and tune it if you want to use the actual tuning pegs. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I put Ernie Ball strap locks on the guitar, (I had to drill holes where the original holes were to fit the strap locks), so there is absolutely no reason why it couldnt withstand live playing. The hardware is great, just some oxidation here and there. The finish has not chipped yet and I've dropped it a few times. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and deathcore and blackmetal type of music, and this guitar suits my needs well. I've been playing for about 3 years, and I own a BC RICH Warlock and a few acoustics. If I lost this guitar, I would definitely buy this guitar again, ITS GRRRRRREAT. (lol tony the tiger) I love the action, its sooo low but still sounds GReaT. I wish this guitar had an original Floyd Rose instead of liscenced but this is alright too. // 9

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 27, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Model Name MG Series DKMG Dinky Body Alder with Carved Top and Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors Neck Bolt-On Rock Maple with Scarf Joint Head Stock Neck Dimensions 1st Fret: .735, 12th Fret: .810 Tuning Machines Sealed Die-Cast Tuners Fingerboard Rosewood with Compound 14 to 16 Radius No. of Frets 24 Jumbo Frets Bridge Pickup EMG 81 Middle Pickup N/A Neck Pickup EMG 85 Controls Master Volume, Master Tone Bridge Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point remolo Hardware Black Pickguard None Scale Length 25.5 (648mm) Width at Nut 1-11/16 (43mm) Unique Features Reverse Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock, Compound (14 to 16) Fingerboard Radius, MOTO Piranha Tooth Position Inlays, Ivoroid Binding on Neck and Headstock // 10

Sound: i play black metal primarily but love to jam out some floyed now and then this guitar suits both perfectly though it doesn't seem to wail or have as much natural wah effect as my similar Ibanez likely due to the EMGs in there but when it does it f--king does!,, I've found this guitar has no statick at all but I feel the EMG hz pickups are somewhat underpowered they sustain plenty enough but they don't seem to have as mutch welly as I'd assumed but they easily make up for this with a gorgiouse humbucker tone that realy gives the professional edge to its sound, unlike every guitar I've had I find there isnt too much bottom end on the neck pick up either its a subtle difference between the 2 and the selector Switch is seemless going between them, the pots are good cut above the usual cheap street axes they allow you to actualy govern the power from your guitar unlike most volume pots they don't just cut out at zero you can actualy use them as volume controls or just to cap the edge on ur gain. Tone pot isnt so good though I find little difference between 10 and zero but I never use that anyway. The guitar has excelent resonation on it and the Floyd Rose bridge has plenty of room inside the guitar to give the full dive bombs and squeels like a high class whore on her first night so basicaly it takes getting used to but its worth it to that, as for its tone all in all it has all its got all the balls of any descent Stratocaster sharp and full with plenty of texture and more than enough power to blast the shit out of anyone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm still getting to grips with the action of this guitar the strings are a little low down and tend to rattly on the fretts when I start double picking it which I don't like but that about it the neck binding is genuine not plastic shit and it the neck its self isnt to thin as I found on most jacksons you know its there lol the finish is emaculate as well and resiliant to buckle scratches somehow but as far as esthetiks go its just about the sexyest bit of kit out there second only to the soloists which are basicaly the same. a good point though is theres alot of room for the bridge block to move inside so your guitar wont be rattling when you down tune it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've not had it long but since its second hand and it looks brand f--king new and sounds perfect I could have been convinced this was never played and thats unusual for guitars it has a good weight on it and defo able to take a beating. Given the condition of the Boss pedal that came with it itl rate it a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar was built for black metal its a nasty as you want it to be both in sound and pressence, it feels comfy to play and is estheticaly spot on for a Strat I've been playing extreme metal for 10 years now and gone through loads of guitars but this slays em all and when you get your wanking gear round it youl know it was built to be played. // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: HoddiDarko, on september 28, 2010

Purchased from: Used

Features: I don't know where the guitar was made, probably Korea and most likely in 2006 or 2007. The guitar has a bolt on maple neck, 24 frets, medium sized frets I think, and a very dark rosewood fretboard with Moto Shark fin inlays and a nice binding. It has pitch black finish and a matching headstock, after about 3 or 4 years of use the finish is in a great shape. It's a Jackson Dinky (meaning bolt on neck and Strat shape) with two humbuckers, tone, volume knobs and a 3 way switch. When I got this guitar 4 months ago the passive Emg-Hz had been replaced by Active EMG 81 and 85. I have had two guitars in the past who had EMG Hz and these Real Emg's are just so much better. It has a double locking licensed Floyd Rose and it came with out a bag. These features are all really nice, and I don't think I could ask for anything else in a 390$ guitar. If the original guitar would have had active Emg's then this would be a 10 review. // 8

Sound: The Emg's have a really good overall sound that fits my music style well. I do prefer other pickups such as DiMarzio's, but these have a really good sustain and output. I play death metal, thrash, blues and rock. This guitar does fit int the first two categories really well, it ain't really versatile but that is what I have 6 other guitars for. I Have been using it mostly through a Meas Boggie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100, Randall Rh-300, Peavey Triple X and Randall Kh120. No effects but a occasional Metal Muff by EHX. The guitar screams through them all. Its quiet with rich harmonics, and a rather large sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it used so I don't know anything about factory settings, but when I got it after 3-4 years of hard use... there was barely a scratch on it. The action was really easy to adjust and I have guitar set up perfectly with low action and a straight neck. The guitar has not had any flaws, yet at least. But since the pickups were changed I can not say anything about the hardware. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far, this guitar has been perfect for hard and long band practices and small bar gigs. The floyd stays perfectly in tune, even after long chapters of "slayer wank" during doom parts of some songs. I never gig without a backup, but so far, I have never had to use it with this guitar. I changed the strap buttons for straplocks like I do on every guitar, but quickly after I got it a saw that the lower button was kinda wobbly so I had to move it a bit. // 7

Overall Impression: The guitar is perfect for death metal, thrash, grind and blackmetal. The look of it is really simple so no metal genre will feel wierd playing of this guitar. In my 5-6 years of playing I have had over 20 guitars and this one has been one of the best. I prefer this one over my 1000$ Jackson RR5 and many other fancy guitars like ESP Horizon, Les Paul Custom, Various Fenders and Prs guitars and many more. I do not think many beat this guitar at this price. If someone would steal it... then I would probably find it since I live in a pretty small country, on a island to be precise. But if someone would destroy for some reason I would likely get another one. Maybe some other model in the same price range like a Dk2m or something. Nothing to complain about this guitar! // 10

DXMG Reviewed by: elementpunk123, on october 25, 2010

Purchased from: Cousin

Features: I have a 1997 Jackson DXMG that was made in Japan I think not entirely sure. It has 24 jumbo frets the neck is really thin making it easy to play fast. It has a licensed Floyd Rose that is pretty good although to me it goes sharp or flat rather easy but I'm not an expert at them though. It has a three way toggle and only two knobs one for tone the other for volume. It came equipped with EMG HZ which I ended up swapping out with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. The finish is beautiful it real shines when cleaned and stands up to damage. // 8

Sound: I run it through a Crate GLX 212 and a Boss MT-2 and it sounds great. The guitar has a great tone warm but not overpowering and has unbelievable sustain. The stock pickups where nice they could make sweet sounds but they are really leaned towards the bass to me. The guitar can play cleans rather well but it twice as good playing metal or a more aggressive style. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low as it can go and it makes it easier to play fast and do leads. The pickups were set low in to the body which is ok the floating bridge had to be readjusted which is pain. All the hardware is just as black as the finish making the guitar look awesome. The finish tops it off giving it an aggressive look. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It would be great as long as you set the bridge perfect which is hell and you don't change tunings which is a downside. The only thing wrong with the hardware is the cover on the toggle Switch that can come off quite easily. The strap buttons are solid and could withstand a true show. The finish looks fantastic as long s you clean otherwise you got fingerprints and dust all over, but it doesn't show damage that well. If you plan on switching tunings than you definitely need a backup which is a con of this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar is best for aggressive styles such as metal punk or even hard rock. It can do clans really well it just looks funny this mean guitar playing sweet Acoustic music. I have been playing for about two years now and I don't have the best gear setup but still this guitar shines through. The stock pups are pretty good there just not my style. If it was stolen I would hunt that person down in a heartbeat. I love the appearance of it and the awesome sounds you can make this beauty belt out. The only bad thing about is the floating bridge limiting the guitar to one tuning although it makes lead even funner to play. // 9

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2010

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This guitar was made in Asia, although I can't say for sure where because I peeled of the sticker that specified that. I got it brand new in 2008, so I guess that's the year it was built. It's a maple neck with a fairly thin profile, and it's got a rosewood fingerboard with a compound radius (12"-16") and 24 jumbo frets. It's a basswood body with a solid top painted all black. It's a dinky Strat (a Strat with a thicker body and a slightly smaller size) equipped with a Jackson licensed Floyd Rose and two EMG-HZ (passive) humbucking pickups. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of rock and metal. It works great for that. I do sort of regret buying this guitar, because even though it plays great, it doesn't get any other sounds besides just plain metal. If I was to buy a guitar now, I would probably pick an H,S,S Strat instead. But it still sounds great for rock and metal. The pickups work well together. I play it through a 50 watt Crate tube amp (it doesn't have the name on it, and i got it from my guitar teacher who forgot the name) with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. If you aren't playing, it's gonna be quiet, but when you do play it, it's just like getting punched in the face. It's got a really full sound, and it's very warm. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: From what I remember the factory did a nice job setting this one up. The action was a little high for my tastes and I lowered it a bit. All the routing and everything was perfect. The intonation is a little bit off, but pretty much all guitars with Floyd Rose set ups have that problem straight out of the factory. Things weren't to my spec (like the angle of the bridge when it floats, which I always tilt back a little bit), but that's just based on my personal preference. I picked it up christmas morning and it worked perfectly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand anything. I can go days without tuning the guitar (and it actually stays in tune, it's not just because I'm lazy). The licensed Floyd Rose has lasted me 2 years. Of course I learned how to take care of them the hard way, I own two messed up Floyd Rose style bridges. This one, however, has proved it's worth. The strap buttons are decent, but they aren't locking like I'd like them to be. I would never use any guitar at any gig without a back up however, because that's just how I am, but I can safely say that the back up will probably just sit on the rack the whole time. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for rock and metal music. Very fast neck that's useful for shredding. I've been playing guitar for a while now, and I've had to fix many (I worked as a guitar repair-man). Out of all the ones that I've been exposed to and had the chance to play, this is the one that has given me the best sound so far. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably buy another guitar, but just because of the sound limitations that it brings me. The only thing I dislike about this guitar is the limitations that it's sound has. It's really just a metal guitar. I compared it to tons of other guitars, including ESPs and LTDs. This one had the best feeling neck and the most stable trem. I just wish it was an H,S,S or even better an H,S,H with a push/pull pot to Switch from humbucking to single coil. // 9

DXMG Reviewed by: R3l3ntl3ss, on september 20, 2011

Features: I guess you know the score by now. 24 frets, Shark tooth inlays, EMG's etc. // 8

Sound: I play this through a Crate GT212 at home or a Marshall JCM900 when gigging. In quieter moments, I use it with Ampkit as well and it sounds good through all of them. The EMG's have a good amount of punch to them. Great for heavy metal/rock. The bridge pickup has a nice bright sound and is quite sweet with some distortion. The neck pup is a bit vague. It doesn't have the bite of the neck pup and sounds very muddy at times, but overall it is fairly diverse in it's sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had it for about a year now and it is one of twelve guitars in my collection. I have ESP, Ibanez and Hamer, and all three of my Jacksons hold their own against more expensive guitars. When I got it, the action was a touch too high, so I adjusted it and it now shreds with the best of them. The neck is not as fast as Ibanez, but there is a feel to it that makes it a pleasure to play. The hardware is still in good condition and the paint is immaculate. I travel a lot with my band and this guitar has taken some abuse, but always comes home looking just as good as when it left. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty well built. It has been gigged many times now with no problems. It's never even broken a string. In fairness, it is not always my first choice for live playing. I generally use my Ibanez Prestige as my first guitar but I would have no worries about using this one. The strap locks are strong and the guitar is well built. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing rock/metal for nearly thirty years and I have owned a LOT of guitars in that time. This is a good 'in. It definitely has those rock looks and can shred with the best. I love the look of it and it is definitely punching well above it's weight. When set up properly, it is a good live axe. It is easy to play and pretty hardwearing if you look after it. If it got nicked, I probably would go for a DKMG but not because of anything lacking with this one. // 8

DXMG Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2011

Purchased from: A friend

Features: Jackson DXMG, made in Japan, circa 2001 I believe. Fairly standard setup here, nothing outlandish. 24 fret Maple neck with rosewood fretboard bolted onto an Alder body. Comes loaded with EMG HZ4A pickups in neck and bridge (passive versions of the legendary EMG 81) 3-way toggle switch, one volume control, one tone control. Tremolo system is a surprisingly stable Jackson double-point tremolo system, essentially a Licensed Floyd. Two very cool features are the reverse headstock and sharkfin inlays. While they add nothing to the guitars playability, they certainly look cool! For the price I paid these features are all excellent and add up to a very good value guitar. I'd admittedly rather have two EMG 81's but hey, you can't have it all. // 9

Sound: As far as sound goes, this guitar is awesome. With my band I play in the style of a lot of old school metal (Crue, Slayer, Sabbath, early Metallica) and some NWOAHM stuff (Five Finger Death Punch, Trivium, etc)but I also have a death-metal solo project that I use it for. So if that's your vibe then this is the axe for you. Versatility and power in one lovely big lump. My signal chain is guitar-> Tubescreamer -> Cybaby -> ISP Decimator -> Amp (A Marshall AVT150H head, hot-rodded with the circuit board from a JCM 900) and it KILLS. It also sounds great through my ol' Roland Cube when I'm teaching/doodling at home. The only criticism I can level at this guitar sound-wise is that the neck pickup get a touch muddy when you play very high up the neck (19th fret upwards) but the bridge pickup sounds dandy so it's not a huge deal. Clean sounds are also very good, nice and warm, although a little quiet for my taste. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, fit and finish were all spotless when I bought this guitar. Admittedly I bought it off my friend who's a guitar technician so I knew it would be spankin' when I bought it but even so it was still great. I've had no problem what'soever with it in this regard. The finish, becasue it is so high-gloss, marks up a little easier than I would like but that's not the guitar's fault really. I've been hitting this thing hard every day for around a year now and it's still as fresh as a daisy. That's one thing about the Japanese-made Jacksons, they built 'em tough as hell. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does indeed stick the pace of live playing and it's one of my main guitars for live play (alongside my Ibanez SZ320, Michael Kelly Patriot Premium and Gibosn Les Paul Custom). Strap buttons I can't really comment on as I replaced 'em with Dunlop Strap-locks as soon as I got it (force of habit) but they were of a good size and seemed solid. Finish is tough as hell and apart form marking up a little with fingerprints etc it doesn't seem like it's gonna wear off anytime soon. I use several guitars when gigging due to different tunings for different songs etc but if I was forced to gig the DXMG without a backup I'm confident it would stick the pace. I'm heavy-handed in my playing style and this beast takes everything you can give it and hits right back. Top class. // 10

Overall Impression: For the music I play (see above), this guitar is nigh-on perfect. I picked it up as I was looking for a super-strat to replace an LTD KH-202 I sold and my choices were either a B.C. Rich Assassin or a Schecter C-1+. My mate offered me this guitar and man, am I glad I took it. It's spectacular. My favourite features are the solidity and durability of it (despite being a floating bridge it never even thinks about going out of tune), the range of sounds it's capable of producing, and, admittedly, it's killer looks. The only thing I'd criticise is that I'd prefer it to have EMG 81's instead of the HZ's, but the HZ's are still great pickups in their own right. If this guitar were lost or stolen I'd definitely pick up another one as it's great. An ideal axe for a newer player looking to buy their first "real" guitar, or even a seasoned pro looking a decent workhorse for not too much money. I've been playing for 10 years and I own an extensive collection of very high-end guitars, and this baby holds it's own with any of them. All in all, a very solid and impressive effort form Jackson, and one that I'm very pleased with indeed! Obviously there are better guitars than this (I'm considering selling my LP Custom to get a Jackson Custom Shop version of this guitar) but I don't think that many guitars in it's price range can compete with it. Great piece of kit all round. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 4.9 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014