JS1 Dinky Review

reviews (6) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
JS1 Dinky Reviewed by: manospan, on march 26, 2009

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: Stollas AE

Features: This Jackson guitar is the cheapest Jackson you can find! It was made in India. It has 22 Jumbo frets, bolt-on maple neck, fingerboard made of Indian Rosewood and body made of Cedro. It features a 2-point Fulcrum Tremolo(which keep the guitar out of tune), Jackson Humbuckers, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, 3-way blade selector and Jackson Tunes. It is finished in Gloss Black. The tuners and the brigde detune the guitar easily. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal. This guitar is good at it, it has a heavy sound but the sustain is not that great. When you play after the 12th fret, you don't get a very define sound(which is natural for a guitar like this) Although, It sounds great when playing at clean tone. Generally, you wouln't expect this sound from such guitar! Also, the pickups are noise-free. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low, was setup well but the knobs were loose so I screwed them a little bit. It is a pretty heavy guitar, it's comfortable, the finish is good but keeps a lot of fingerprints. I did't found any serious flaws on this guitar. Everything seems to work and look right on this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I own this guitar about 2 years and needs a setup. I think that this guitar will last long but will not withstand Live playing, it gets out of tune easily so this guitar is not reliable. The strap buttons are not solid, it has fell a couple times while playing with a strap. // 7

Overall Impression: Generraly, the Jackson JS1 Dinky is a great guitar for begginers, but has a couple of annoying flaws. I would reccomend it to everybody Who is begginer or Who can't give much money for a guitar, but wants something good. My favorite feature is the clean sound that this guitar produces but I would buy something similar if it was stolen or lost. // 8

JS1 Dinky Reviewed by: Norge, on august 18, 2011

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made in India. Rosewood neck with 22 Frets (?) and bolt on neck with stock Jackson tuners. Solid body Strat style with DH pickups. 2 point fulcrum tremolo and single volume and tone control knobs as well as a 3 way toggle switch. Gloss black finish with reverse headstock looks very cool. // 6

Sound: I love metal and Jackson guitars have always been synonymous with that genre. It's very light and fits me well. The small radius neck allows for very quick transitions and is comfortable. Full/Bright sound is actually quite good but heavier settings produce a muddy and blended sound (not the good type either) which I'll blame on the poor quality pup's. I run it through a Vox Valvetronix VT40+ which helps me to dial in the sounds to a more acceptable range using the EQ to overcome the JS1's sound quality. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the setup was pretty good and required little from the tech when I picked it up after setup. Fret buzzing before and after has been a problem and at first I attributed it to my playing level but I've since moved up to an SG and I've no issues with buzzing with that model. The finish is flawless and look awesome. Many have commented that the guitar looks like ones that cost a lot more. Action was initially set low from the factory with light gauge strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is an entry level guitar and nothing but. No live playing unless you're careful and the hardware is cheap. The 3 way toggle is so flimsy that it feels like it'll bend when you use it. Strap buttons are average and the finish should last fairly well. I'd definitely have a backup handy if this was to be your primary guitar. The pickup's are noisy and aren't very good. // 5

Overall Impression: I picked this up to see if I would get back into guitar after a long break from it. I wish I had just taken a chance and spent the $$ for something of better quality. The difference between this entry level and a few $$ more is substantial enough that unless you can't afford it I'd look to a mid-range model. I love the look and feel but the sound is below average for hard rock/metal/thrash. You could upgrade the HB's but why - you might as well save your $$ and put it towards better quality. I love Jackson's and have played the DKMG's and the JS32's which all are better choices than the JS1. This is a guitar for parent's to buy their kid's and don't want to drop a ton of cash but anyone who is semi-serious will quickly outgrow and want to upgrade. Jackson doesn't pull any punches and states that it is their entry level guitar but I can think of many other choices that would be a better fit for beginner's or those on a budget. // 5

JS1 Dinky Reviewed by: Jimsoup, on june 07, 2010

Features: Made in India 22 jumbo fretts rosewood frettboard can't remeber the body or neck wood gloss black Finnish tremolo bridge 1 tone, 1 volume nob 3-way pickup selector 2 Jackson humbuckers non-locking tuners I like all of these features exept the tuners go out pretty quick. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, classic rock and alternative or punk. It fits the metal style well, but you can pla almost any thing on it. I have a crappy Fender frontman amp and use it with a Boss metal zone distortion pedal. The neck pickup has a good sound and a full tone but on higher notes it still sounds a bit too bright. It sounds realy good clean as well ( on any pickup) but still is too bright past 12th frett. No noise from the pickups unless you put your amp distortion on as well as a distortion pedal. But before I hade a dodgey adaptor plug for my pedal and it made the pickups buzz when you weren't playing but I got that fixed by just getting a better plug. Also it doesn't have much sustain on lower notes. But it is a pretty good sllrounder I think. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know what it was like when I got it because it was my first elec guitar and I knew nothing about them then, but now I know the action is great. It is perfect for me. Every thing is great not too long after I got it there was a loose conection or somthing so when you plugged in the lead it didn't conect. It got fixed realy easily though. Also a bout a year ago (when I hade owned my guitar for a year) while I was restringing the end of the nut broke thanks to thereverse headstock and the tension it makes with the low e string against the nut. That got fixed in about 3 days or somthing, it was lucky because they already hapened to have the same Jackson nut, they just needed to cut it and stuff. But as I said, the action is perfect and the string tension is just right. You can get a bit of buzz at first with lighter strings, but it seems to go away by itself. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said before, some parts have broken a couple times but that is it for two years of having it. I think everything will last realy long. The strap butons are realy solid and my strap (a CNB one) has never fallen off while I was playing. I would play it in a gig without a backup. The paint takes a good knock to chip ( I would know) so over all it is pretty reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: I have only been playing guitar for 2 years and maybee a bit. I only have one other guitar and that's my dads old Suzuki Les Paul he gave me, which I like my Jackson beter than because it is easier to play and the Suzuki is about 30 years older than me. My favorit part of it is it's reverse Jackson headstock, it looks so good! When I bought it I was bying my first guitar so I was comparing it to some crappy imitation strats made by brands nobodys heard of and they all cost half the price of the Jackson. But I still bought it because it was the best looking and sounding out of all of them. If it where stolen I would buy it again if It wasn't for the fact than I am looking for another guitar now anyway. But I would track down the guy that stole it and stab him with it's pointy headstock and take my guitar back ( because first guitars have a lot of sentimental value). It is a great guitar all up, and I strongly recomend it to all beginers. // 10

JS1 Dinky Reviewed by: mauvaix22, on february 28, 2011

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Pro Musica Cork

Features: Not sure when this came out but its made in India. 22 standart frets, bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard.648 ml scale, 42 ml nut, vinatge 2 point tremelo, and 2 Jackson JE10 passive humbucker pickups. It has a black satin finish, Strat body style with a reverse headstock, 1 volume control, 1 tone control, 3 way pickup selector. Also it came with a gigbag, and an micro cube thrown in for about 30 euro. It also has comfort curves in the bady, which make it so much more comfortable to play. // 6

Sound: I play almost excusively metal, but as this is moreor less the cheapest thing Jackson have on offer, it doesn't really have a style it suits. The pickups are, in all honesty, rubbbish, probably the worst part of the guitar, but as this was my first guitar, it did me fine for a good year or more. It tokk me a long time to realise how bad it sounded. I use it witt a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp, with as much distortion squeezed out of it as possible (which is a lot), and it still wont deliver a decent sound a lot of the time. You can play more or less whatever style you want on this, because in the end, its never really going to sound all that good anyway. Realistically, you should only buy this as a starting guitar. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar came badly set up, tho I didn't realise it at the time. The intonation is still bad to this day, and the action was high, although I have sinced fixed this (very easy to do). The low strings buzzed at the low frets too at first, but that was again an easy fix. The guitar was well put together at least, no obvious unsightlyness, but then its a mass produced model. There were no visable flaws. At the end of the day thoug, its not a guitar that can be played very easily. The gaps between strings are a little odd, and the actiona has to e set too high to avoid buzzing. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This has never once failed me while playing, except after massive (and unwise) changes in tuning when a high e string way have broken. I might also point out that the whammy bar is more or less out of bounds unless you barely touch it when using it, as the lack of locking tuners means it goes instantly out of tune. The hardware shows no sign of failing, and the starp buttons are very solid, but the strap did come off (just once!) when I bent over with it on. Its a dependable guitar for a gig, but it sounds so bad that I wouldn't bring it to a gig anyway. I have no problems wihtt he finish, but for some reason it seems to statically atract dust: if I clean it and leave for 5 mins, I could come back to it as dirty as before (even in clean rooms). Aslo because its black fingerprints show up really easily. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, buy this guiatr as a first, but nothing else. You would be crazy even to buy it as a second guitar. I have now moved onto an ESP LTD F-350, which is infinately better. If I'd had the chance, or thought about it, I'd ahve asked more about the pickups, because they really are dire. If it was stolen.. At this stage its only value to me is sentimental, as my first guitar. I wouldn't replace it, I'd either use it to buy a new amp or save the money for an upgrade. I didn't compare it to much else in the shop ', but I'm not sure about my desicion now. I wish it had better action, new ppickups, and locking tuners so the tremelo could be used. // 3

JS1 Dinky Reviewed by: xSacrilegex, on april 06, 2011

Price paid: C$ 219

Purchased from: Gilbert Guitars

Features: Not sure of the year, just know it's newer. Believe it was made in Indonesia. Super Strat style, 24 jumbo frets, 25.5" scale. 2 piece maple neck with a scarf joint and a rosewood fretboard. The neck is overall pretty thin. The bodies used to be made of Indian Cedro(Indian Ceder), but they're now made of basswood. Mine is white, and the colour is beautiful. 3 way Switch and 2 stock Jackson humbuckers. 1 volume, 1 tone. Basic Jackson tuners. Also has a trem! I use it for metal and hard rock. // 7

Sound: The guitars stock pickups are pretty muddy. I can see them being used for rock, though it seems to be more of a metal guitar. I didn't leave mine stock very long as I bought it to build it up, but the stock pots and Switch are alright. The cheap Chinese stuff you'd find in most cheap to moderate guitars. It's not very noisey at all which helps with high gain amps. The trem is actually a lot better than people give it credit for, though the stock nut doesn't do it justice. It says on the site that it's graphite, but it's obviously plastic. The site specs are off as they don't update it enough, hence the wood difference. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great for a cheaper guitar. It was already set up well, but any guitar should be set up to the players likings. That's all preference. The colour is great, but the finish is very thin. For this price, there's no use in complaining. The hardware is what you'd expect from this price range. Like I said, the trem is better than people say. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is fine for live play. Unlike the older versions, these JS1's are pretty strong. The hardware hasn't rusted or anything, so it's got a thumb up for me. It will scratch easily but it wont show on the white. I assume the black ones will show easier. // 7

Overall Impression: A starter metal and hard rock guitar. I've been playing for over 10 years and am actually surprised at this guitar. I found it much easier to play than Squiers and other guitars in this price range. It's a great feel for metal, but the stock electronics are cheap like I said. I've changed the pots to DiMarzio 250k, though it comes stock with 500k's. I also changed out the nut for a nicer one, and the Bridge pickup for a DiMarzio Super 3. I also blocked off the trem. After these upgrades, it sounds GREAT! If anything ever happened to the neck I'd easily replace it, though it's much sturdier than the earlier versions of this model. I'd easily pick another one of these up if I wanted another guitar. I'm glad the tuners really do their job, unlike a lot of stock ones. It could use a thicker finish, but at this price, oh well. It's a little more than you think you'll be getting from the price. For beginners or anyone looking to build up you own guitar, I highly recommend it. Because I am rating it stock, I can't give it a huge rating, but with some small upgrades this thing can be great. // 7

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014