JS23 Dinky Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 08/21/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: JS23 Dinky
I play metal (lead guitarist of w3lcome nightmare) and blues and it is just perfect for my metal work, but my blues work on it is sketchy. This guitar is amazing.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.3
 7.4
 7.4
 7.3
reviews (3) pictures (4) 19 comments vote for this gear:
JS23 Dinky Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2012

Purchased from: used at guitar center

Features: - Laminated top - 24 frets, 25.5" - Body wood: mahagony - Neck wood: maple with rosewood fret board, pearloid sharkfin inlays - Dinky body style - Natural mahog. finish - Vintage tremolo bridge - 1 volume, 1 tone, 5 way switch - 1 Seymour Duncan Dime Bucker humbucker - 1 Seymour Duncan Stacked single coil pick up - Thin flat neck contour // 10

Sound: I play metal (lead guitarist of w3lcome nightmare) and blues and it is just perfect for my metal work, but my blues work on it is sketchy, so I use my GSA-20 for blues. Since I have the Dimebucker in it I have an extreme amount of output on it. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp on the red metal/ green insane settings with everything up all the way "except reverb" with a lot of gain (built in effect) and the "stacked single coil" (just a tiny humbucker) has a coil split on it so I put the switch in the fifth position and it sounds like a Strat single coil where as in the fourth position it sounds like an EMG 60 (which has lower output) any way its made for hard rock and metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is really low which is amazing for my solos, I do a lot of two hand tapping and shredding in my solos. The trem is really tight because it was never used until I bought it. The Vintage trem doesn't hold the tuning so I'll be either taking the bar out or replacing the bridge, other wise the guitar is really good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazing. This guitar can handle bends and drop tuning. The finish is solid so it should be fine. I always take a backup to gigs and practice just in case but it would probably be fine by itself. The strap buttons are large and my strap has not fallen off yet. // 9

Overall Impression: Good guitar and I will buy another one if this is stolen. This guitar deserves to be played by some one better than me, but she'd stuck with me. This guitar is for mainly metal so I wouldn't suggest it to a blues or country player but if you wanted to you pr. // 9

JS23 Dinky Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Centers used section

Features: - Made in 2005 in India - 3-piece laminated top Indian cedro body - Two piece maple neck with a Rosewood fretboard - Natural finish - Passive electronics, 1 hum. 2 singlecoil - 1 volume, 1 tone, 5way blade switch - Vintage Strat style tremolo bridge - Non-Locking Jackson tuners. // 9

Sound: I play Metal/rock/blues/neoclassical music and this guitar is great for all of them. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt amp with the onboard effects. The stock pups were noisy and didn't sound that great, so I replaced the bridge pup with a Seymour Duncan SH13 Dimebucker, and the neck with a scr1 with a coil split, and took out the middle position pup. This guitar has screaming highs in the bridge position, and a mellower sound in the neck position. With one of the bands I play in I use a very heavy sounding setting Metal=red Bass=7 Mids=3 Treble=10 Gain=100% position and sensitivity, when playing this guitar clean with the pups I have in this it sounds best with the scr1. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was PERFECT! Everything was set up correctly. The only flaw I found was a blemish in the wood near the bridge but that's not that big of a deal. Where the guitar failed my test was the bridge, I hate the bridge! If you use the trem it doesnt't stay in tune the greatest and its just uncomfortable to palmmute with. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand live playing. The hardware is solid, the strap buttons are huge and never had a problem with my strap falling off. I always bring my GSA 20 with me to gigs, but I only use that because it has a different tuning than my Jackson I don't use a backup because I don't need one. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is really well built, the electronics aren't very good in my opinion so I replaced them. This guitar suits all of my music styles very well. If this guitar were stolen I'd probably buy an LTD M-10 to replace it because I prefer that guitar over this one. Over all it is an amazing budget guitar and I would suggest it to anyone looking for a good guitar that can't afford a PRS or ESP. // 9

JS23 Dinky Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 21, 2013

Price paid: € 199

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: This Jackson JS23 Dinky was made in India, not sure when. It has 24 jumbo frets, a solid top, Indian cedar body, rosewood neck, and natural finish. This is a Super-Strat body style guitar, with a 2-point fulcrum tremolo. The pickups are passive; the pickup configuration is HSS. The exact pickup models are: 1x Jackson SE JE10 humbucker, 2x Jackson JE14 single coil. There is a control for volume, another for tone, and a 5-way switch. The tuners are Die-Cast tuners model. There was a good gig bag with this guitar when I purchased it. // 5

Sound: I play mostly hard rock and metal, but also blues rock. This guitar doesn't suit my music style at all, since it seems more a toy than a musical instrument. At home I use a Fender Mustang I amp, and on it I use lots of different presets, mostly presets that suit hard rock and metal playing however. Pickups quality is very poor, sometimes I can't even distinguish a chord from another. Cleans totally lack in personality, distorted tones are, as I said before, very noisy, making very difficult to play riffs clearly. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received it, the guitar had the action enough well setted; however, everything on this guitar seems to be very poor in quality. For example, the tremolo is on this guitar just for beauty, because as soon as I touch it, the guitar goes out of tuning. Also the tuners are pretty ridiculous; I didn't manage to keep the guitar in tuning for more than 15 minutes, when I played it. The bridge is also certainly not fabulous. The neck is probably the worst point in this guitar: it is very uncomfortable, and playing chords on it is not the easiest thing. Overall, a very poor quality guitar, as I said above. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I don't know if this guitar could withstand live playing; overall, it seems to be durable enough, but I highly doubt that anyone would play this guitar in a live concert. If I had to play live, I'd surely not have used this guitar, maybe just for a backup (if I didn't have something better to carry with me. Anyway, the natural finish seems pretty solid; it doesn't seem easy to wear off with lots of playing. The strap button seems to be ok too. This guitar, however, doesn't suit live playing because of the tuning problems, I think. It's very hard to play more songs one by one, if your guitar goes continuously out of tuning. // 6

Overall Impression: I play almost all genres of metal, hard rock but also blues. This guitar, for the reasons specified above, isn't a good match. Now I have a Yamaha RGX 420, that is really a great guitar; before buying this Jackson JS23 Dinky, I had a 160 euros Ibanez GAX30 (that was better than this Jackson in almost every aspect) and an Ibanez ART320. I'd surely would not buy it again; I would get something else. An advice: if you want to buy a Jackson, take, for example, a Demmelition King V PDX, which I think is a great choice; don't buy these poor quality entry level guitars. // 4

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR3 Rhoads 8.9 Electric Guitars 12/12/2014