JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 03/29/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail
JS series guitars are designed in the USA and come loaded with some of the same features as the professional models. Select tone wood bodies, twin Jackson humbuckers, fast necks and 24 jumbo frets for that famous "Jackson feel".
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.2
 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
reviews (6) pictures (4) 30 comments vote for this gear:
JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Purchased from: Damm Music Center

Features: This guitar was made in India. It has 24 jumbo sized frets and the neck is bolt-on maple. Mine has a flamed finish with black and brown. It's really awesome. For the neck they used mahogany wood. The body style is a Strat shape and the bridge is a string-thru. The pickups are Jackson Humbuckers. For the tuners they are die-cast and they don't lock. I'd rather have non-locking tuners anyway because it's easier to tune. The only controls that're given are volume and tone. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style which is alternative. Even though Jacksons are more well established with Metal, who cares. I really love the look. I'm using a Ibanez 10 watt amp, but I'm going to buy a new amp soon. I also have a DigiTech Death Metal effect pedal. It can sound noisy if you use a distortion effect when you're soloing and don't silence the other string after you finish playing it, but that's on pretty much every guitar. I'm pretty sure that this guitar could do every style. I've played pop-rock, metal, and emo on this guitar. Even though the look wouldn't satisfy some styles, this guitar can match sound to anything! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: No problems that I can see. Checked it out pretty good before I bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never played this guitar live, unless you count playing for family, but when I do play a gig I know that it'll hold up. The strap buttons probably wouldn't fall off if I'd bang it against a table a million times (I shudder at the thought of doing that, but it's true). I can depend on it. I would use it without a backup in a perfect world were strings don't break, but since strings do break I'd bring a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Right now I have only been playing guitar for a little over a year, but I'm still pretty damn awesome! If someone stole it, I would cry until my eyes fell out. I'd buy it again, because it's really not that expensive. There is not one single thing that I don't like about this guitar. My favorite thing about it is the finish. // 10

JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail Reviewed by: fallbackonus, on october 17, 2005

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music Worx

Features: Made in India, 2005; 24 jumbo frets; solid top; body is made of solid alder; neck is made of maple; fingerboard is made of rosewood; gloss black finish; body styling is reminiscent of a Strat, but with more aggresive cutaways and beautifully crafted edges galore; adjustable JT390 string-thru; active electronics; Master Volume and Master Tone controls as well as a 3-way pickup selector (all silver); pickups consist of a bridge humbucker and a neck humbucker and both are Jackson's own CVR2's(black); plain old die-cast tuners (silver). // 9

Sound: I play many different things and I was basically looking for an affordable guitar that was comfortable whether sitting or standing (not to mention a top-notch neck). I have to emphasise the feel of the neck firstly. After playing with a few month old Samick bass, which has a neck as thick as the one on my shoulders, it was a great relief to find this little wonder, which has a neck depth of approximately 2 cms (not including the frets). The JS30DKT is good for pretty much anything you care to play, it lends itself to some abusive metal (i.e. Slipknot, or anything drop-D) but can produce some very sweet sounding solos and melodies (a-la Something For Kate). I use a Line 6 30-watt Spider II which affords me any versatility that the guitar cannot. The electronics/pots and the pickups aren't noisy at all. The bolt-on neck detracts from some of the sustain of the body, but after minimal work, some Clean channel chords last forever. I've played Metallica (MoP), Slipknot (it handled a drop B tuning without hassle), Something For Kate, Offspring, Megadeth, and pulled of Queens Of The Stone Age with not a worry in the world. Makes Tangled Up In Plaid sound pro. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Absolutely amazing finish, no noticable flaws even after a major inspection from tuners to input jack. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing? Totally! The hardware is damn nice to look at and I haven't snapped anything yet so yea, we'll see. Somehow I don't think that Jackson would try and cheat it's customers. The strap buttons were a major concern when choosing a new guitar, and these are unmovable, which is good cause I've seen some shockers. The finish is plain and wouldn't wear at all. // 10

Overall Impression: If it were stolen then yes, I would find another just like it. I love the neck and the finish. I hate the fact that it's only 3-way selstor for the pickups not a 5-way. I compared it to a few cheap Ibanez'z and this come out the winner. Although I want a tremolo bar, I'm glad I took the standard bridge as a tremolo fu--ks up the tuning so quick. // 8

JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail Reviewed by: PrimitiveGuitar, on february 07, 2012

Features: I brought this guitar about 3 years ago (2009) as my first electric guitar and have had it ever since then. It is a Jackson JZ30DKT. Not sure of the year it was made but I presume it was only up to a year before I brought it. Crafted in India. Serial number 2008004117 (if that helps at all). 24 Jumbo frets. Bolt on maple neck with rosewood fret-board 25.5" scale. Jackson Brand tuners. JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body. Jackson Humbucker pickups Neck and Bridge (passive). 3 position pickup switch. 1 tone 1 volume knob. This was my first ever electric guitar and I found it very easy to play, after ever only having played acoustics before. The neck has a very thin radius which makes it very easy to play and they cutaway is very use full for being able to reach the higher frets. For having only Jackson brand non locking tuners on it they hold the tuning of the guitar very well. I really like the bridge on this guitar as it is very simple to remove and adjust. For such a cheap guitar the specs are very good. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal with jazz, blues, Latin, rock and almost everything else on this guitar. However now that I have purchased other guitars this is used mostly for metal and sits in drop C. The pickups suit metal. Especially thrash. The bridge pickup has a lot of attack and really pushes the high frequencies well. Whereas the neck pickup can give a real warm tone but doesn't sound that good. The pickups suit high gain but you can get an okay sound with clean as well. 6/10 due to the lack of variety with the pickups. Its high gain with the bridge pickup on this guitar or nothing at all for me. Not much variety with pickups as they mostly only suit metal. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up on the guitar was terrible. The action was really high and the tone and volume knobs had not been put on properly. Luckily the bridge is very easy to adjust (provided you know what you are doing) so there was no problem there. The tone and volume knobs were seizing up and kept coming off but this just required some work with a screw driver. No problems with the finish on the guitar except that it is very easy to chip, as my mum found out with the vacuum cleaner. 6/10 as the set up was bad but not too hard to fix. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar live but would not trust it completely. The strap buttons constantly needed tightening on my guitar and also the lead input and the guitar goes out of tune with a lot of playing. Because of the reverse head stock on the guitar there is also a lot of pressure on the nut of the guitar which after about 2 years of playing broke. I now have a Gibson Les Paul nut on it witch works much better and gives more sustain. This finish on the guitar has not deteriorated in the years that I have had it so it seems fine. 7/10 due to the faults with the factory hardware on the guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good fit for most styles of metal, especially thrash. The other electric guitars I own are a ESP Horizon and LTD 308 (8 string), but this guitar still remains my main guitar for drop tunings (as low as Drop B with decent results for the pickups). I would recommend this guitar to anyone starting out wanting to play metal. This guitar may have a few things wrong with it. But for the Price it is an excellent guitar and punches well above the other guitars in its price range one the setup is fixed! Thanks for reading, hope it helped. Feel free to ask questions or comment! // 8

JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail Reviewed by: howangcturtle, on february 09, 2010

Price paid: C$ 300

Features: Made in India. Alder with Flame Maple body. Bolt-On Maple neck.Rosewood Fingerboard. 24 jumbo frets. Jackson CVR2 Humbucking neck/bridge Pickups(same for all JS series). String through body with bridge. Reverse Headstock. Entry level features, but the pickups deserves a 9.5 for its price! HAS NO TREMOLO (JS30DK dinky does) // 9

Sound: Jacksons are famous for its metal and rock sound. And this baby proves it! The clean sounds are great! Very high output pickups for sure, great for many genres especially metal/rock/jazz. I played this through my Line 6 III spider 15watt amp, and my Randall+Zoom G7\.1UT effect pedal. The beefy chunky distortion makes me want to play the same chord over and over again. And the clean sounds are surprisingly well balanced. You can check out ALOT of demos on youtube, its the same pickups for all the JS30 models. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Its string through body, so not much work on set up I'm guessing. Mine was just factory set up, the low E might buzz if I strum it extremely hard on open, no problems with it at all other than that.And the flamed maple finish is something to look at. I have the transparent black flame finish... Didn't like the blue one(shown on picture). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is solid body, and I'm sure it could take quite a beating, and its moderately light. Haven't had any problems with it.It's a Jackson... Solid solid solid guitars! Reliable for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: I've never been a big fan of Jackson's guitars because they're so EXPENSIVE! But I guess you get what you pay for! All JS models are supposed to be entry levels, but it doesn't feel anything like something only a beginner would be happy with. The PICK UPS! The sound that you get from it is way beyond what you pay for. Other features and stuff are all really basic, but as the model suggest, its meant to be basic. If it were lost/stolen, I will probably save a little more money and try to upgrade to another Jackson, if not this is the way to go! But it better be the same transparent color! // 9

JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on january 18, 2011

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: THE ROCK SHOP.

Features: This guitar was crafted in India(as said on back of the headstock). It has a maple bolt on neck featuring 24 jumbo frets. The bod features A Strat style body, a string-thru bridge, twin Jackson humbucker pickups one at the front one at the back, three way control and a volume and tone adjustment knob giving it a "Real Jackson" feel. The headstock is spiked and curves backwards it features die cast non-locking tuners. I personally new the guy who worked at the shop so he chucked in in a free 3m lead and a free hard case. // 9

Sound: This guitar really suits my style wich is metal but that's what Jacksons are established about being made for. I am using a Johnson Power 10 amp and a Boss MT-2 effects pedal. It is noisy on both clean and overdrive settings, the thing that surprised about this was that it is really good for distortion but yet it had a nice clean natural sound as well. This guitar is definitely purposely made to make a metal shredding kind of sound but you can make it want you want to make it. I really love this guitars large variety of sounds and the versatility. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: To me this guitar was set up pretty good, but there is one minor little thing I found on the back of the guitar which is that the back cover has got some chipping around but noticeable with out looking closely. The pick ups feel and I'm sure are very secure and should last for ages. The neck seems well adjusted and the frets are placed just fine there is no chipping around the pickups wich is good. I asked in store about the finish and I was guaranteed that the finish would last for years to come. The pick up selector is very quite and feels smooth to Switch between the 3 settings. Very well setup guitar overall. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will almost certainly withstand live playing. The hardware has nothing wrong with it the hardware is perfectly fine and will last. Now here is the hiccup on this beautiful machine the bottom strap button seems to keep on letting my strap slip off I thought maybe it was just my strap but it does the same to any other strap. I can most definitely rely on this and I would use it in a gig but with a back up because you never know what might happen. The finish feels good and has been guaranteed to last for years. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall opinion of this guitar? Fan-Fricken-tastic! This guitar is all I need and more there is absolutely nothing I could want more at the moment from a guitar. I was comparing this to some SG's but and a couple of ESP's but this was far superior than all the others and it suited my shredding metal style better than the other guitars as well. I asked everything I wanted to know about in the store and got to play it on the amp in the store wich was good and it gave me a fell for the guitar. I really really liked this one. If it were lost I would be confused abotu how you can lose a guitar but if it were stolen I wold murder the person who took it and by another one. I love this guitar for its versatility and its nice metal sound also I found this guitar is very easy to play so good for beginners and also good for advanced players. Better strings would be my only wish for this guitar. // 10

JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2013

Purchased from: Guitarworx - Denbigh

Features: I'm sorry if this review is too long and wordy, but I've had this as my main electric guitar for since 2008 and want to pass on my experience because it was the magic upgrade from my first guitar, the move every guitar player remembers; from their cheap-catalogue bought learner guitar to the half decent guitar you mowed the neighbours lawn and saved up for. The one you had your eye on and is made by the same company all the really good players use. I've used it at gigs and rehearsals, travelled with it around the UK in cars, vans, buses and trains, and I took it with me to university; I only ever had a thin, fake-leather gig bag that cost a tenner to carry it round in too. So I feel I should pass on my experience, because having read all the other reviews I feel most have of the reviewers have not grown with the guitar as I have and spent enough time with it to give it the credit and discredit it really needs. So, as all the other reviews state, it was made in India. However others didn't mention it was designed in the USA shortly after Fender bought Jackson, from this, its easy to tell that fenders experience in making and designing decent budget guitars from the squire guitars they make have made a massive difference with the JS30 in comparison to budget models from Jacksons days as an independent company (although they didn't make a wide range of models, they only started making them in the 90's and Fender took over at the beginning of the 00's, I think. Most were sold under the Charvel name anyway). It comes with 24 frets (jumbo) on a rosewood board. The finish on mine is a strange dark green in the centre and which fades into black on the outskirts (quite like a sunburst effect but different colour). Strat body style. String through bridge. Passive electronics. 3 way pick-up selector and simple dials; one for volume and one for tone. Jackson humbucker pick ups and non-locking pick ups. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different styles and I found the pick ups too heavy and fuzzy when distorted. When distorted it never sounded right for any style of rock that wasn't metal like Stereophonics, Foo Fighters, Oasis, RHCP etc... But it was very good for metal and heavier rock music or punk (The Offspring sounds good!). But considering this, it does sound pretty good on clean channel. I can't remember exactly how it sounds because I changed the pick ups to the Seymour Duncan HOT Rodded Humbucker set, as the sound wasn't versatile enough after I got better and branched out into different styles of playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't really comment on the factory set-up as the shop owner had set-up the guitar to the way I wanted it before I went to collect it. The pick-ups however had to adjusted slightly as they were riding quite high and were giving off quite a lot of feedback and had a horrible sound. As with the set-up mentioned earlier everything was sorted when I picked it up... But be warned, I took all the strings off and turned the guitar over to access the wires inside when fitting new pick ups and the bridge fell off, its not physically connected to the bolts that hold it in place so be careful and don't lose it! There are a couple of flaws with this guitar... First of all; I've had to solder the internal receiving wires to the jack hole twice, because the jack comes loose quite often and as you tighten it the wires twist inside and eventually get torn off the jack altogether... But it's not that a big a deal it only take's 10 mins to fix. Also the volume dial has fallen off a couple of times, but it only fell off more than once because I never bothered to tighten the screw back on with the right size screwdriver (its got a very small head on it I didn't have a screwdriver small enough until I got one in a Xmas cracker... You can buy them though for a 50p or something), instead I used a knife so I couldn't tighten it properly. The finish is very good, this guitar has been battered and the paint work is still immaculate, no belt rash or signs of wear from strumming on the front of the body... Just a tiny chip in the paint on sharp tip of the head from a drop off a 1ft high coffee table onto granite flooring. The finish itself is strange as mentioned earlier its a strange dark green in the centre fading into black on the edges. When I bought it I actually thought it was black until I got it home (I didn't have a go on it in the shop I bought it from because I had already had a test run on one at another shop). Everything else is fine though... mostly my fault. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes it does withstand live playing, I bought this guitar on the day of one of my first gigs and it has been my main electric since 2008. Although as mentioned earlier the wiring is a little temperamental (I haven't had to solder the wires back on since the second year I had it though) all other components and hardware is solid as a rock not had a problem with strap buttons, the finish is still as good as new after a quick wipe with a cloth (I've never properly polished or cleaned the main body, all I've ever done is clean the fret board with a tiny bit of WD-40 every now and again). It's very dependable as long as you (when you first get it, and possibly every now and again after a good Session on it) tighten up the jack input properly with pliers to hold the female jack part in place then tighten the nut with a spanner. It might also be worth going over any other screws or nuts and checking they are tight every now and again with any guitar to be honest... It stays in tune for a very long time, although the quality of the strings and having the right set-up also makes a difference (I use D'Addario XL 10 gauge strings) and it stays in tune for ages... You can play for a good three hours and it will still be fine, sometimes you can play for a an hour or two and leave it a couple of days and it will still be in tune! So long as there isn't extremely abnormal levels of humidity (more common with acoustic guitars though), and moving it around (hitting it against things and dropping it), pressure on the neck if its leaning on something or has something leaning on it. // 9

Overall Impression: Well I must admit I LOVE this guitar. It was the FIRST and ONLY guitar I have ever paid for myself... I'm not a spoilt rich kid that's never paid for anything in my life it's just that my first guitar was a pretty decent American made Peavey Predator (the old American made Strat style one. Not the Asian made super-strat style one you get now) that my dad found in a car-boot sale or second hand shop for 40, and me, being a typical 13 year old didn't pay much attention to it and just thought it was crap because my dad had sanded all the paint off and it wasn't shiny and new looking. Plus none of my idols played a Peavey (TIP FOR AN AWESOME SINGLE COIL GUITAR THAT CAN BE VERY CHEAP IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH; my dad set it up perfectly and brought it back to life as a project and now I can appreciate it and all its glory, it plays better than all 00's Mexican Fender Strats I've played... Just doesn't sound as great. So I'm saving for some new pick ups). Anyway back to the Jackson. I bought it on the day of my second gig, at the time all I was playing was metal, punk and heavy rock music and the Peavey didn't cut it. The Jackson was great and it felt a lot nicer to play than all other guitars I played around that price and quite a few from a higher price range, in particular bottom of the range Gibson Les Pauls (any under the price of 900 felt awful, except Epiphone Les Pauls you can pick up some decent ones for a very reasonable price). I would highly recommend this guitar to anyone who is looking to buy their first upgrade guitar... Simply because I have had mine for five years and as you progress and grow it can grow with you, I changed my pick ups as I got better and as my style began to broaden. My next move is to swap the neck for one from a better model of the Dinky range, they are pretty cheap to buy second hand and the body is pretty much the same, a friend of mine has a top of the range Dinky with the same bridge pick up as mine and they sound pretty much identical but the neck on his is even better. I don't think I will ever sell this guitar. When people who own 600/500 Ibanez guitars pick it up and say... "this is really nice"... It feels pretty damn good! // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR3 Rhoads 8.9 Electric Guitars 12/12/2014