JS30KV King V Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 04/08/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: JS30KV King V
Indian cedro body, bolt-on maple neck with Indian rosewood fingerboard, Jackson CVR high-output humbucking pickups, adjustable string-through-body bridge and chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 8.9
reviews (6) 53 comments vote for this gear:
JS30KV King V Reviewed by: Demonikk, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: Planet of Sound

Features: Made in 2005 in India, 24 jumbo frets. Specs as above I believe, black gloss finish with chrome hardware. String-thru body bridge, 2X Jackson stock humbuckers. Master tone and master volume and a 3-way toggle Switch. Stock Jackson machineheads and no accessories included in the price. For the price I suppose I can't really complain, but a gig bag would have been great, even a cheap one. // 9

Sound: I play mainly metal, but I like to stray into blues, acoustic etc. Played through my Marshall MG100 DFX and Dunlop Crybaby Wah. In Standard tuning and with light strings (0.09-0.42, out of the box) I found that the distorted tone was weak, lacking in bass and general power, even with the gain and bass maxed out. The clean tone was nice, with a warm tone at the neck pickup and a crisp, soft sound in the middle position. After changing the the strings and dropping the tuning (0.11-0.56, CGCFAD) the distorted tone really improved. Powerchord riffing in the bridge postion produces a huge bass punch and fret-melting soloing really cuts through. Sustains very nicely, due to the string-thru body construction. On high distortion, the neck pickup or the middle setting does go very muddy though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, using the stock strings, it was perfectly set up. The action was low and smooth, without fret buzz. The pickups neded raising to get the maximum punch out of them though, but that's a 10-second job. The machineheads are fairly poor quality, they're sticky and stiff when using thicker strings. The volume and tone pots are also quite stiff, and don't 'glide' like many other sets. Again, at this price I can't moan much though. One thing I can complain about is the placement of the input jack. I found that during seated practise, my lead really dug into my thigh. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about 2 years now and over that time it's taken a fair few knocks, but with only a couple of dents and chips to show for it. Granted, if you knock a guitar as pointy as this, of course the finish is going to chip. The hardware's still in good condition, but I'm going to replace the pickups and tuners soon (personal preferance). The strap buttons are solid, getting the strap on is a right struggle and getting it off is even harder. Gigging, I would never play without a backup (again, personal preferance)but it's a reliable guitar, only ever had 2 or 3 string breakages. Replacing strings and retuning can be done in about 20-30 seconds per string if you're not fussy about neatness. The aforementioned 'sticky tuners' really keep it in tune though. // 10

Overall Impression: At this price, it's very hard to complain about anything. It's a great guitar for beginners, but professionals won't shy away from it either. Upgrading it is always a possibility. I play Jacksons exclusively, because they have killer looks, playability, reliability and that awesome metal tone. I would, however, recommend buying the next model up (KVX10). At about 80 more you get far superior hardware. Again, for an entry-level price tag, this is as good as they get though. If it were stolen, I would probably buy a DKMG (no point buying an inferior guitar if I can afford a better one) but if I didn't already own an RR3, I would definitely buy it again. // 9

JS30KV King V Reviewed by: breadfan82, on february 01, 2007

Purchased from: Brickhouse Music

Features: This axe is well worth the price. I'm not sure when or where it was made, but it has a 24 jumbo fret bolt-on maple neck. Fretboard is made of rosewood, with shark-fin inlays. My specific guitar has a laminated top with the quilted finish. The body is made from alder and the neck is maple. Much cooler looking than the Gibson-style V. It has a JT390 adjustable bridge with string-thru body for bad-ass sustain. The guitar came with Duncan Designed HB-102 pickups, which actually weren't bad, but I replaced them with an active EMG 81/60 setup, and the EMGs give this guitar the perfect tones for metal and rock. It has two humbuckers with a volume and a tone knob, and three-way selector Switch. The tuners are just the stock ones put on by Jackson, and they can be a little sticky and hard to turn with thicker strings, but that is the only complaint I really have about this guitar. It didn't come with any accessories, since I bought it at a small town music shop, and we all know that they don't want to give you too much bang for your buck. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Thrash, Alternative, and Metal, so this guitar is absolutely perfect for all of those styles. I use the EMG setup I mentioned before, through a DigiTech GNX4 Guitar Workstation, which I run through a Peavey Bandit 112. It has very bright, crunchy sound when I use the bridge pickup and warmer tones at the neck. I can play everything in my catalog with this one guitar, anything from Megadeth, Ozzy, and Metallica to Nirvana or Pearl Jam. I never have to Switch, since this one does it all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was okay. I lowered the action a bit (since I have to play a ton of fast solos), and then it was fine. I had to play around with the bridge to correct some minor intonation issues, but that's all part of the game, you know. Pickups were a little too close to the strings for me, but a few turns with a screwdriver and that's easily corrected. The only flaw was that it had a small chip in the plastic nameplate on the headstock, but that's purely cosmetic. Other than that, the guitar was in mint condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing would absolutely withstand the Live gigs. The harware seems like it would last, but I might replace the tuners with something a little less touchy. I replaced the strap buttons with some Schaller strap locks, and they are as solid as can be, but the original buttons were also set very well. I would not use it at a gig without a backup, because I would never use any guitar at a gig without a backup. You can't be too careful. However, this is a very reliable guitar. The finish is very attractive and seems to be very even and durable. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I play thrash, metal, and alternative, and this axe is perfect for all of those styles. It is a great match for my technique and everyone says it looks good on me too. I have been playing for 8 1/2 years, and I have two other electrics. I have a B\.C\. Rich Warlock and an Epiphone Gothic '58 Explorer, and this is by far my favorite axe. The neck is very speedy and the sound and setup is magnificent. If this were stolen, I'd be so pissed off, but yes, I would certainly buy another one. I love the tone I get out of this guitar. I don't think I hate anything about it, but I wish the tuners were a little less touchy. My favorite thing (as bad as it sounds) is probably just the way the black EMGs look against the quilted red finish. Very bad-ass. I compared this to the Gibson Flying V and the Jackson Rhoads model V, and this one just seemed to play and fit better than the other two. This guitar is f*cking awesome. // 9

JS30KV King V Reviewed by: matti_g_69, on february 09, 2009

Price paid: A$ 485

Purchased from: Allans Music

Features: Made in India in 2008, this is a 24 fret rosewood necked beast. I love my Jackson even though it's the cheapest of the family. V shape, fixed bridge, I'd prefer a Floyd Rose, but I can't afford the kv2. jackosn humbuckers, changing to emgs soon. this guitar was $600 but I've bought so much shit from allans they gave a a nice discount. // 9

Sound: I play metal and rock, and this guitar is great for it, I pla through a little Roland Cube 15X and sometimes through my mates Marshall MG50DFX. I play a lot of modern metal, like Children Of Bodom and Bullet for My valentine, I also like playin some of the classic metal stuff, like Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth. the clean is alright, but not as good as my strats, where as the distortion is great for the price I got it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Once I got home, the guitar was great, the pick ups were I th right spot and was set up great in the factory. the fixed bridge is pretty high though, and the strings take more effort to push down, where as my friends Ibanez, is a few mm away from the neck and therefore easier to push down when playing fast. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definantly withstand life playin and the hardware looks like it will last even though I'm changing the pick ups when I can. the finish hasn't seemed to wear off yet which is good, cause that's the ast thing you need after youve saved up for two years to get something and it f--ks itself. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar matches my playing style very well, I would play it from 30 min - 2 hours a day. if this guitar was stolen, I would eitha want it back, or demand the better KVX10 or KV2. I had enough to either get the king v or the randy rhoads, and since I was lookin for a black finish not blue, I boug the Jackson. this is great value for money, especially since I'm only 145 years old. // 10

JS30KV King V Reviewed by: Cher0keeChi1d, on march 03, 2009

Features: Made in India, the JS30KV has 24 jumbo frets with Dot inlays, a thin, bolt-on maple neck, an Indian Rosewood fingerboard, with an Indian Cedro body. It has a King V body style, with a black finish. The bridge is an adjustable string-thru body, and the pickups are Jackson CVR2 humbuckers. The controls available are a master volume and a master tone. The hardware is chrome. // 7

Sound: I play mostly rock and metal, and this guitar handles it just fine. I play it through a Fender G-DEC amplifier, and also a Crate GLX212. It doesn't make a lot of noise. On the bridge pickup, the clean tone is very spacey, smooth in middle position, and warm on the neck pickup. However, I'm disappointed with the overall distorted tone. I feel that it is weak, and rather muddy. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't have the knowledge to set up a guitar, so I leave the setting up to the guitar tech at the local shop. Of course, it's a V, so sitting down with it can be quite uncomfortable after a while. However, it's light weight makes it convenient to stand up with. As for flaws, the input jack comes loose sometimes, but that's easily fixed. Other than that, it was just a bit dusty around the pickup areas. There were visible fingerprints due to the black finish, but that's expected. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live, so I don't know if it could withstand it. Perhaps a backup should be available if used Live. Better safe than sorry. The strap buttons seem to be solid. I've never dropped this guitar, but it has been bumped into countless things. If something hard enough gave it a good go, I think the finish would definitely chip. // 6

Overall Impression: Again, I play mostly rock and/or metal. You can find a guitar better suited for those genres than this one, for the same price, or even a little cheaper. I've been playing for a few years. I also own an ESP LTD F-100FM, an Epiphone SG Special, an Ibanez IJX40, a Silvertone SIK1, and a Squier Standard Strat. I wasn't as experienced as I am now, when I bought this guitar. I definitely should have tried some of the other guitars out. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy a different guitar. My favorite thing about it, is the thin neck. My least favorite thing is the finish. I no longer buy guitars with a black finish, because of the easily spotted fingerprints and scratches. // 7

JS30KV King V Reviewed by: icpgettozone, on november 09, 2009

Features: I have no idea when the Jackson was made. But it was made in Indonesia. It has 24 frets. Solid V shaped body. I don't know what it's made out of. Most likley Bass wood. Black finish, string through body. Passive Jackson pickups. Tone and volume with middle pickup selector Switch. H-H pickup configuration, 6 Jackson logo non-locking machine heads. I got the gutiar and just the guitar. Had to trow new strings on it. it's pretty basic. Just has an radical body shape. // 7

Sound: I play heavy metal. Death Metal, (like a certian cartoon band's metal) whos name ends with Klok. And I play a lot of tunes from a band fronted by arnhold. With a little bit of a band named after a lake by the name of bodom. I do not play 80's thrash any more. I'm currently running it through a DigiTech Grunge pedal. Soon to be using a electro harmonix micro muff pedal. And my trusty old Peavey Studio Pro 112. It has a pretty decent sound. Very bright. Not exactly proper for Heavy metal. But the 12 inch speaker in my Peavey balances it out pretty well. Honestly if I paid for this guitar I would have been a bit upset. But I will say that this guitar was built for metal, just more geared twards beginners and those on a budget. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this sucks! It was not professionally set up. Usually I will do that myself. But, the truss rod has a nut instead of a allen head. It wouldn't be too bad to deal with, but the truss rod is crooked. I cannot adjust it unless I did a little routing of the wood. A Standard wrench or socket will not fit no matter how you try it. I'm stuck with high action and some annoying fret buzz. Even auditable Through the amplifier, even with the supreme saturation givin' to me buy my GRUNGE pedal. I had to set it up myself to the best of my ability. The intonation was pretty good. Took a tad bit of adjustment. Respectable for a cheapy guitar. The tone knob was handed to me in a bag along with the guitar. So I threw it on. It likes to wobble and what not. One thing you will find with the knobs on any cheap Jackson that I have noticed is that the screws that secure it to the shaft of the pot is a small flat head. Not the normal allen wrench. Correct me if I am wrong, but in my experience I have only seen Jackson guitars with the small flat head screw. Other than that everything is in pretty good shape. The machine heads need to be replaced. I use Elixer Nanoweb strings. Very nice strings. I swear by them. The 10's are not good for drop tuning on this guitar. I have to counter-act the looseness with 11's or maybe even 12's. Not Shure yet. But I fret out a lot with it. Which was not a problem with other guitars I have played with the same setup. All my guitars are setup around the same. Ibanez RG350MYE, My old LTD F-50, and some other guitars I don't feel like naming. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live. I enjoy just sitting in my room and playing. But I can tell you that I wouldn't gig with this guitar, unless it was overhauled. The machine heads suck. The bridge, is a bridge. No big deal. Good finish, I'm Shure the finish will last, even with me palm muting around 90 percent of the time. I'm only keeping this guitar because my friends girlfriend was nice enough to give it to me. I was gonna pay a hundred for it, but she was nice enough to just hand it over. But back to the criteria of this section. I replaced the strap knobs with Jim Dunlop strap locks. Be warned! That you will have to make the supremely designed button release lock backwards, I had the one on the one side the normal position (if you can understand what I mean, kinda hard to explain). Because the button closest to the neck is on the back, like all other V shaped guitars and other rad body styles. The body withstood me installing the larger screws that come with the locks stock with the locks. It's just the way it is. The instructions say to drill a pilot hole but I have never did, no cracks or problems. I do not suggest doing this yourself. It's risky, you can crack the body. Nobody wants a crack in there prized axe eh? I don't hold this guitar high in my book. But others may love it. This is my review, not yours. The finish is nothing special. Black, very boring, and shows finger prints like a mother. It seems to built sub par to a high end guitar. But it's decent for it's price range. The truss rod being crooked it's a downer tho. That is what really brings this guitar down. // 4

Overall Impression: As stated before I play Metal, but anybody buying this guitar is a metal guy, or girl. it's a black Flying V. I mean c'mon. I have been playing seriously for around 4 years. But I only know what I know about setting up a guitar and the playability because I don't wanna pay the ridiculous prices that guitar shops charge for Standard upkeep. I didn't purchase this guitar so I cannot complain a whole lot. But the rest of you will most likely be paying full price, so take what I'm saying into consideration before shelling out the loot. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy another. The more I write about it the more I resent it. I love how I got it for free. But nothing more than that. Everything else is just blah or horrible. I LTD F-50 that I gave to my girlfriend was more reliable than the Jackson. But the sound of the Jackson is better. More crunch and bite. I hope you take my review into consideration. This is from a more experienced player compared to a beginner. I took my time and went over every problem and good thing. Happy playing. // 6

JS30KV King V Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2010

Price paid: € 319

Purchased from: local music shop

Features: It's features are what you'd expect from a guitar that's priced at 319 EUR. Nothing flabbergasting, however, still quite decent and durable. I've taken the guitar on stage twice, and it stood up against me flinging it around, without straplocks. For decent specs, go look at other reviews, for I will not name all of 'em here, but only a few that stood the part: - Jackson humbucking pickups, with a cover, which make them look active, but really aren't. - Off course, the awesome black V body. - Quite a thin neck for fast low action. - 24 frets. - 3-way selector, placed conveniently. // 8

Sound: I play metal, hard rock and have had a few stints with clean sounds. Basically, this guitar rocked my socks the moment I plugged it in. For the price, you really get an awesome guitar soundwise. This might also have something to do with the Vox AD100VT-XL I run it through, but I don't own/use any pedals at all. It got me a very full and rich sound. I ran a cheap-ass guitar through the amp once, and could really hear the difference. This is a quality guitar for the money. It is not noisy at all, which might also have something to do with the Monstercable I run it through. However, I've had many other cables before definitely switching to Monstercables, but none of the cables made the guitar extremely noisy or crap. The humbuckers really stood up to the task of not being noisy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set-up and fit my playing style immediately. I really didn't have to tinker with anything. However, just minutes after trying it out when it arrived, my tone knob broke clean off. Not that it mattered me much, for I do not tinker with my tone knob a lot. The finish was basic and did not contain any flaws, nor did any other piece of hardware. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I said, I took the guitar on stage twice, and it stood up to the task. The hardware DOES look like it would last ages, however, after owning the guitar for about 2,5 years now, the tuners start to get a little rough. I guess a little oil would cure that though. The finish however, wears off real quickly. I'm not known for my carefulness, but after just putting down the guitar on the points of the V, the finish will wear off and will show the wood eventually. // 7

Overall Impression: This is really one of the best guitars for metal guitarists for it's price. I've been playing for about 3,5 years now, so my skill is not all that amazing, but I know whenever I have a quality guitar. And this is one, definitely. Whenever it would be stolen, and wouldn't get a lot of money from the insurance company, I would probably go for this guitar again, for the price-quality ratio is really awesome. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014