JS30RR Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 03/09/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: JS30RR
Body style is of course, a Flying V style, as are many Jackson guitars. Solidbody guitar, sharpest Jackson yet.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.2
 Features: 9.1
 8.9
 9.4
 8.4
reviews (15) 92 comments vote for this gear:
JS30RR Reviewed by: PUNQ, on august 11, 2004

Features: The Jackson JS30RR is fairly new, maybe released in July '04 or earlier. Body styl is of course, a Flying V stly, as are many Jackson guitars. Solidbody guitar, sharpest Jackson yet. Bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 24 wide oval frets, 25-1/2" scale length, 1-11/16 nut. Controls are as followed; Volume, tone, 3-position pickup selector Switch. The pickups are Jackson-branded CVR2 humbucking. Jackson-branded closed-back tuners are available. Bought in Black, Dark Metallic Blue, and Dark Metallic Red. Personally I chose and also reccomend the black. There were packages avialable at the time ie., gig bags, straps etc. But I just went with the guitar. A little bit cheaper and besides, I have plenty of that stuff at home. // 10

Sound: Take one look at the Jackson JS30RR, and you'll know right away what this guitar was manufactured for, Punk and Metal along with all of its affiliates. Personally, I just use my JS30RR for death metal and old school punk. For just jamming alone, I use the JS30RR with my little Rocktek RK08 amp. But for bigger stuff, I use it with my Berhinger BX600 alongside with a few RS412XL cabinets. This guitar sounds awesome with the new Digitech DeathMetal StompBox. Depending on your settings, the JS30RR can sound like a flesh-ripping Demon, to a light, mildly peaceful pain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This Jackson is rather a marvel of modern guitar manufacturing! But of course in the early days of prototyping, they ran into a few minor flaws: a back-bowed neck, a too-low bridge, and a loose pot shaft on one of the tone knobs. But to the credit of its truss rod and hardware, the JS30RR adjusted to spec quite nicely. And now this great guitar is upon perfection, plus to my surprise when I played it for the 1st time, the humbuckers didn't rock beneath my hands. That is a common poblem with many guitars. But thanks to these people at Jackson Inc., those humbuckers aren't going anywhere. This is one solid-made guitar that sounds as agressive as it looks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used the JS30RR in a few shows, and the moshers took some time to stop jumping around and stare at the guitar. Not once has this guitar gone kaput on me during a show. I play this sucker roughly around 7 hours a day, and the finish keeps looking as good as it did when it came out of its packaging! You know, I'd bet quite the many dollar that this guitar will sound and look just as great 40 years from now with constant playing. It's that great of a guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I like playing lots of Slipknot and System Of a Down songs. This Jackson is probably my favorite guitar out of every piece of music stuff I own. I've been playing guitar for a few years now, plenty of time to accumilate more guitar gear as followed: Rocktek RK08 amp, Berhinger BX600 amp, 4 RS412XL cabinets, Digitech DeathMetal StompBox, '76 Gibson Explorer, '78 Fender Telecaster, and a hell of alot of Tortex picks. I love everything about my JS30RR, the finish, the humbuckers, the strings, everything. there is not a single flaw in this guitar, airgo there's nothing I hate about it. Before I purchased this Jackson, I compared it to a few BC Richs, ESPs, and a few Charvels. But in the end, The Jackson JS30RR pulled through as the guitar of my dreams. Now, if this puppy was stolen, as it asks me in this questionaire, well it wouldn't escape my sight, but if it happened to be stolen I definatly would get it again... And if you don't like the Jackson JS30RR, well there's something diabolicly wrong with you. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: Moratorium, on november 20, 2006

Features: The main reason I bought this was due to the fact it's so f--king beautiful. Standard randy rhoads shape with volume and tone control. It also has a strung through body which is more difficult to string but worth it for looks. It also has a 24th fret useful for some "widdly widdly" high pitched solos. All in all an amazing guitar. // 10

Sound: My style of music is melodic thrash metal. When I first got the guitar, the moment the jack connected it to the amp I knew this was the right guitar for me. It is ultra heavy. When I put it through one of my cheaper pedals (Behringer Ultra metal to be precise) the sound blew me away. And when I starded playing through my more expensive pedals, shit me. It is the best sounding guitar for metal ever. Evan better after a pick up change to a set of emg 81 and 85. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had no problems with it. It was sent to me through the post with? "City link" delivery company and it arrived in perfect condition. Everything was how I expected it to be. Perfect. I personally thank Jackson for taking the time to make the guitar properly and ensuring it was the highest quality before I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: At first I was wary. With its shape and the fact it's a bolt on neck I was worried. But I was wrong. Perfectly reliable. especially as I swing the guitar aroung like a baseball bat. No scratches dints or any visible scars. Solid as a rock. Taje it from me. I abuse my guitar and this guitar takes a savage beating. Just make sure you don't get out of hand and set it on fire or somethin' stupid like that. // 10

Overall Impression: It is the perfect metal guitar. If you don't want to be spending 1000's on a rr1 then I suggest you buy this guitar, it's just as good. Plus you'll look sexy as hell playiing this beauty. buy it, look sexy, sound fukin heavy as dark matter and smile. Smile because this is the best guitar you have ever played. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: cincit2, on november 02, 2006

Purchased from: fairdeal music

Features: This guitar was carved in india, and has the rhoads body shape. My model's in black, but you could choose blue or red. The guitar has 24 jumbo frets, an alder body and a maple neck. The neck is very thin, so all four fingers can play easily. The hardware is chrome, and the bridge is string-thru body. The guitar has three controls given, a volume, one tone, and a three way selector to change between pickups. The guitar has two pickups, which I think might be seymore duncan, but I don't know as they're blank and the make isn't said. The tuners are jacksons own make, and are non-locking. With the guitar, I got a 'Dean' gig bag as all V shapes were out of stock. // 10

Sound: when I plugged it in, I knew it would be a great guitar. Proberly not as good as it's bigger brothers with there tremelo arms and stuff, but great none the less. And man was I right. This guitar is perfect for the music I play as it chugs and soars at the flick of a switch. the shape is new to me, so I find it hard to palm mute open notes at the moment, so the guitars noisy when playing riffs like the verse of 'sixpounder', but it is awesome for heavy riffs and soloing/shreding. I have it down tuned to drop D down a step most of the time, so my own model has a low, grumbly tone, and just produces harmonics easily. It's only problem is that the three-way selector is harder to flick then, say a Fender Strats, but that's a complete different model. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, there were a few finger prints, mine and the shop assistants, but they came straight off when wiped. The guitar was tuned too drop D, and everything was set to play, clean strings, undamaged, perfect tuning. It was perfect. No floors in the finish, all bolts were tight, all screws were screwed in well, everything was fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm yet to gig it, but I can see it lasting any show thrown at it. It's well weighted for standing, the hardware is in an easy to reach place for switching pickups mid set, and the neck is set too reach 24 real easily. Proberly the only fault with the guitar is getting a strap that fits comfortably with where the strap holders are put. it's easier too buy some strap locks, but nevertheless, I'd use this guitar for any gig, apart from maybe an acoustic or softer gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. It's got a great sound, great body, great neck. All of it is excellent. If someone stole this guitar, apart from huning them down and beating them too death, I'd buy a new one (but maybe a rr1 instead with a tremelo) if I couldn't get the previous one back. If lost, I'd buy a higher model, like an RR1, with a tremelo as I love this guitar, but would prefere an arm for more effects and pitch bending. The only thing I slightly dislike about the entire guitr is the strap holders possitons, but t's only a small thing. I've only been playing a year, and have came along quickly (I'm better then my school guitar teacher), but this guitar has rocketed my playing skill forward unbelivably, as it's so well crafted, you can play anything. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 31, 2005

Sound: I play heavy, speed, and thrash metal along with some grunge. I am using it throught a DigiTech GNX2 with a helmke 35 watt 10"9 speaker. It's very loud and very clean. It's a rich full and bright sound. Not many varietys in what sound it makes unless you fool around with the equilizer. I like the sound on it because it is the perfect tone for my style of playing and genre. I can't say I have any dislikes to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It's an adjustable bridge so you can set the action whatever you want and mine is as low as it goes and it's perfect. Pickups were to high but I adjusted them so there perfect. There were no problems when I first got the guitar and there still isn't all perfect right down to the paintjob. // 10

Overall Impression: I play speed, thrash, and heavy metal and grunge and it's a perfect match. I have been playing for 2 and a half years doesn't sound like much but I learned extremely fast without lessons. The other gear I own is amps and a DigiTech GNX2. This wasn't my first guitar but it wish it was because it is so perfect. At first I wanted an Explorer but I couldn't afford it and then I found this compared them and didn't find much difference besides no tremelo wich is kind of a downside but I never used one except in Crazy Train. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: RX120D, on may 26, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Made in 2005 in india, has 24 fretsl, 25.5 inch scale Jumbo frets with a rosewood neck. I'm not sure exactly what wood it is, I think it's basswood, finish is a metallic blue which looks great. what I love is the RR shape. Tough looking guitar string through body construction I have active pickups in mine, but it comes with Passive Jackson pickups which sound awesome. Volume and tone knobs, dual humbuckers, stock tuners are Jackson, I've had to problems with them so far. And when I bough mine it came with a Jackson gigbag. // 9

Sound: Perfect metal guitar for budget buyers, but don't let the word budget change the way you think of this guitar, it's worthy of at least 600-700$, I run mine through a Randall RX120D with a Boss MT-2 and PW-10 with a DigiTech RP200 for effects. Low noise, full sound on all pickup settings, bright as well. I have gotten used to how this guitar works so I can make it get a lot tof tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Jackson did a great job setting this guitar up, action was around 0.23 of an inch which is unbelievably easy to play. The pickups sounded nice where they were but I just made a few tweaks height wise. Everything was flawless on this guitar when I got it, no corrosion, no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Definetly strong enough for live shows, durable and nice hardware, strap buttons are rock solid, totally unbreakable unless you try of course. Would definetely use it for gigs, I would have a backuop just in case though (you never know what can happen). The finishis nice and thick and after 2 years of playing it's there are no wear spots. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, blues, and a bit of metalcore. Suits is perfectly. I have been playing for 5 years and it is the best guitar in it's price range by far. I would go on a rampage if someone stole my baby, and if I never found it I would get another one. It's that good. The only thing I don't like is the input placement, it is right on your leg if you are sitting down, so what I did was I got my local music shop to put a 90 degree end on my patch. Works great. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2008

Features: The reason that I chose this guitar was the body: Flying V style. I preferred the shorter fin on the bottom, so I went with the JS30RR. As far as features: 24 Jumbo frets, 3 position selector, no tremolo, 2 Jackson CVR2 Pickups, tone knob as well as volume knob. One of the aspects of a guitar that I like is simplicity, and this guitar has all of the simple, strait up features so that I can throw on new strings and go. // 8

Sound: I run all of my guitars through a Line 6, Spider III 75W amp. As a background, I own a Fender Strat, B.C. Rich SOB Avenger, and an Ibanez Roadstar II, and I've played on a Gibson Les Paul. Of all the guitars I own, this guitar, with stock pickups, seems the most musically balanced strait from the factory, and although not a replacement for blues, can easily compete with my other guitars. I can grind out KSE, Metallica or Testament, or I can play SRV or Christian music. There are a lot of mixed reviews about the pickups but, if one is looking to be an active musician, then no matter which guitar you select you will probably change the pickups to something better like EMGs or Duncans. I will probably change the Neck pickup, but I am surprised that the Bridge pickup is so clean. I actually played a higher end Jackson and the pickups on it sounded muddy, but this one didn't. The neck pick is also clean but it just doesn't have the tone that I am looking for. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as factory setup? I bought it at Guitar Center, and tried it out before hooking up the amp. The one item I found was I had to adjust the action on the Low E end so that the E, A, and D strings wouldn't vibrate against the frets. This was very easy to do, so not a big deal. The Action (after adjustment) is smooth and to my liking. One thing that I was worried about was how top heavy the neck would be; to my delight the guitar is well balanced and the neck does not drop to the floor. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had for very long, but durability seems solid. I would invest in a hard case for it though since it won't sit in a regular stand without the longer wing resting on the floor. Although one shouldn't gig without a backup, this guitar is my choice for jamming or gigging, and I would feel confident in it being my only guitar on a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that for $300 bucks, this guitar is worth it. As I mentioned earlier, I mainly play Metal, SRV, and Christian, and I can play all of these with this guitar. I have been playing off and on for about 14 years, and this is probably the best and last guitar that I will ever buy. The other feature that I like, other than simplicity, is that you can upgrade the pickups for a high end sound (minus the tremolo), and it will still only be around $500. If you want the tremolo, then maybe the RR3 would be a better fit, but otherwise this guitar is great. If it went missing, I would miss it and definitely replace it. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2006

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Not sure of the manufacturing year, but it was made in India. However, this guitar is a proof of the fact that guitars crafted otherwhere than USA or Japan can be good too. It's got an alder body, bolt-on maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with 24 frets. 2 Jackson humbuckers, 1 volume & 1 tone. String-thru body Tune-O-Matic bridge, and, of course, a killer coolest-thing-in-the-whole-damn-universe - Randy Rhoads body, that will mesmerize you. A nice, simple and basic setup we got here, just perfect if you think you can manage without a folyd rose. For me, it's just great, since I don't have an urge for double locking tremolos, and it's really easy to change settings the way you want 'em to be. I Only wish it had 2 volumes, so I could do the trick to turn the other volume down and toggle rapidly between pickups to make a cool efect. // 9

Sound: Just by looking at this guitar you'll know it was made for metal, hard rock and stuff like that, and that's excactly what I use it for, and it really does get the job well done. I play it thru a Zoom Fire 30, which is a decent practice amp and a Boss Metal Zone which gives me all the distortion I want. I can get any sounds from blues to '70s heavy metal (Black Sabbath) to modern death metal. Now one thing I don't get is why people keep complaining about the picups. I understand they're not top quality, and they give some noise with bad amp/pedal settings, but overall I think they're really good. They give they sound I want to have, and personally I like them more than the EMGs on my brothers Les Paul. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Now, I'm not going to take any points away if the factory setup wasn't perfect, since it's personal how you like you settings. The intonation wasn't good though, but it wasn't a tough job to set it well. As for other settings, I lowered the strings a bit and raised the pickups, and it's perfect now. There were no flaws on the guitar and there still are none. The only thing is that it's shiny black paintjob collects fingerprints, but that is not a problem if you can handle the guitar, and they can be wiped off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've not played this baby live, but I don't think it would let me down, since as I told before, there's still no flaws and I've had it in use for 6 months now. The strap buttons either haven't let me down, the seem like good ones, even though before a Gig I would be a fool not to buy strap locks just in case, but I would do it with any guitar. Also, I wouldn't use it on a gig without a backup, but not beause I dont trust it or it isn't dependaple, but because I wouldn't take any guitar on a gig without a backup, it would be stupid, since you never know what will happen. The paintjob is top notch also, it hasn't worn off yet at all, and the edges of the body haven't chipped the slightest even though they've taken a bit damage on the way. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of metal, hard rock and blues, and it's perfect for all of those. Sometimes when playing bands like Children of Bodom I hope it had a whammy bar for some serious squeling efects, but then again I'm not used to using the whammy bar, so it doesn't matter. I ordered this from thomann, wich means I couldn't try it out before buying, nut of course I would have tried it if could. The only flaw I would've found would ne the palce of the input jack. It's on the lover "wing" of the body, and when you're playing sitting, you have to hold the guitar in a position, that makes the head of the input cord sting on your leg, a better place to the jack would have been on the side of the longer "wing," like in RR5, however, I've gotten used to the place and I can hold the guitar so that it doesn't bother me. If this baby would be stolen or lost, I don't know if I would buy another one, not because it wouldn't be a good guitar, but because I'm always wanting to have new gear. If it was lost I'd probably get a Jackson WRXT Warrior (which I've been thinking of getting anyways) or a Ibanez SA520EX (Hope I remembered the model correct). However overall, It's a great guitar, if it were stolen or lost, I'd be very sad, 'cause it's become very important and personal to me. No guitar has felt as good as this since I first played this, I've gotten so used to this one. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: grayfox1001, on june 20, 2006

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Sound: I'm a classic rocker, so I love clean sounds and light distortion. This Rhoads gives that to me. I'm using a Fender Princeton 65 amp with a Boss Power Supply/Master switch, Boss Distortion, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro Overdrive, Danelectro Echo effect, and a Zoom 509. Everything there sounds great with the rhoads. All I want on this is a whammy bar and a longer sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly assembled, nothing wrong at all. Pickups were normal, everything equal, so I adjusted the neck humbucker (strumming humbucker)so that it made the thinner strings louder then the thicker strings, makes it sound real nice. Everything was recieved fine, strings were great condition, lasted a long time. Eventually, the volume knob lost a solder, took 5 seconds to fix. And you have to constantly tighten the output jack. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played this at battle of the bands (my school hosted it), and it did fine the entire time. Hardware is great, every now and then make sure the knobs are tightened. Strap buttons are good, but I have crappy straps so I bought locks. I played it all night long without needing to do any work at all. The finish is great, but if you drop it, dont expect it to still look good. My drummer lifted up my gig bag and it fell out and put a nik in the corner, not big, but I can see the wood, it's a light red. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, and metal, this offers great sounds for both. I've been playing since february 2005, and got this january 2006, I love it to death. I wish I asked if it had a good sustain. It's alright, but after about 5-7 seconds it dies down quickly. If it was stolen, I would buy another, then I would find the person who stole it, and stab them with it. I love the design, I would like it if you could get the headstock the same color as the body, my favorite feature is the sound you get when you tap on it, it's unbelievable. I compared it with my dads Squier Strat and my friends Epiphone Les Paul Special, the only thing that they beat this guitar on is the ability to play while sitting, you can't rest it on your leg. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2006

Purchased from: Mothers Music

Features: This guitrar was made in January 2004 in India. It has 24 jumbo frets the neck is thin but wide it is made out of maple and the fingerboard is made out of rosewood it is a bolt on. It's a solid alder body with a metallic finish that comes in red, black, blue. The body style is a randy rhoads Flying V. It has a JT390 adjustable bridge with strings-through-body. It has Jackson CVR2 humbucking pickups on the neck and bridge. It has one tone control one volume control and a 3-way pickup selector. It has die-cast tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my music style very good cause I play metal and rock and other heavy! I use a Behringer V-Tone 110 amp with it and a Vox Valvetronix amp with and a little Peavey Backstage amp with and on all amps its sounds great. It is not noisy at all except when you go on high gain but what doesnt make noise on high gain but rarely makes lots of noise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly at the factory the action was pretty good good for pinch harmonics and easy bends. The pickups were adjusted nicely it made it sound more then I paid for. Everyhing on this guitar is awesomely set up for the true metal head. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitly withstand live playng a the hardware is perfect that will last for years the strap buttons are nice and big so that when you put the strap on it it will be hard to take off or fall off. You can depend on this guitar you dont need a backup guitar cause guitars is all you need. The finish is perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I just got this guitar on july 22nd 2006 and it has made a good impression on me when I was making a decesion betweem these guitars I had this guitar in one hand and an ESP AX-50 in the other and this guitar blew it away If this guitar was stolen I would hunt down the person and burn there house down after I save my Jackson. I love everything about this guitar there is nothing to hate about it. Randy Rhoads forever! // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: Demonikk, on april 05, 2007

Purchased from: Planetofsound.co.uk

Features: The other review up for this guitar wasn't for the Standard, factory model, mine is. Alder body, 24 fret bolt-on neck with a nice slim profile. Gloss black finish, chrome hardware, fixed bridge, strings through body. 3-way pickup selector, master volume and master tone. 2 stock humbucker pickups. Individual volume pots would have been nice but at an entry-level price I can't complain. // 9

Sound: I play mainly modern metal. Used in Standard tuning I found that the pickups lacked bass and even with the gain maxed out on my amp (Marshall MG100 DFX) they weren't producing much bite. Nowadays I used it with heavier strings and a dropped tuning (CGCFAD) and the distorted tone has improved greatly. The pickups really come into their own when you crank up the gain and bass and scoop the mids. Chugging powerchords become an aural onslaught and warp-speed solos just rip through the mix. On a clean setting, the bridge humbucker's tone sucks (but don't they all). At the neck position, the clean tones are warm and rich, perfect if you dial in a healthy dose of delay or reverb. The middle setting (both humbuckers) gives a great balances of fat, bluesy tone with razor sharp clarity. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As with all Jacksons I have played, it came set up perfectly out of the box. The action was perfect, strings just low enough to allow blistering leads, but no fret buzz. Thanks to no tremolo, the string stay in tune very well, and the machineheads are smooth and frictionless. As with any pointy guitar, the finish does get chipped very easily, especially on the tips of the V and the tip of the headstock. Changing and setting up the guitar to accomodate alternate tunings is, admittedly, impossible, unless you have the proper tools. In this case a special Tool is required for trussrod adjustment, the screw located in the headstock being impossible to grip with pliers or any other household Tool. Fret access is unrestricted to all 24 frets. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The tuning's rock-solid and this guitar can take a good few bumps with only minor or cosmetic damage. Although I have nothing against the strap buttons, I would replace them with a locking set; you don't want to drop a guitar this pointy. Snap a string and you can replace and re-tune in a matter of seconds (I've done it in under 20). I've had it for two years now and the only damage to it is a handful of shallow scratches and a couple of chips on the spikes. I wouldn't gig it without a backup (Mainly because this would be my backup) but it has a simple construction and design, so very little can go wrong. // 9

Overall Impression: I've played better guitars, definitely. But for the price compared to the performance, you'll struggle to find a better deal anywhere. I prefer this over my Jackson RR3 for drop-C tuning, but that's a personal preference as I find that the Floyd Rose on my RR3 gets a bit too sensitive in lower tunings. When funds allow, I'm hoping to upgrade the pickups, possibly to a Seymour Duncan JB/59 or EMG 81/85 combo, just to squeeze every drop of output from it. If you can't afford to upgrade the stock pickups, I would suggest fitting an Afterburner circuit to increase the gain produced. Jacksons as you can probably guess, are aimed mainly at the metal audience, but I can see it being used in other genres such as jazz/blues or punk. Seated playing isn't difficult but unless you use angled leads, your lead will poke you in the thigh quite a lot. If it was stolen, I doubt I would buy it again, but solely because I own a better model and would probably aim to buy a higher-grade model as a replacement. This is a great guitar for beginners and pros alike, although it might be worth paying a bit extra and buying the next step up (KVX10 I believe) which only costs about 80 more but boasts better hardware. // 8

JS30RR Reviewed by: MetalStorm4786, on december 07, 2007

Features: The Jackson JS30RR plays as good as it looks. This guitar has 24 jumbo fret with Dot inlays. The body is made of Alder and it has a Bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. Mine comes in a sleek black finish which collects fingerprints like crazy, but that's expected. Because this is as far as I know, the cheapest Rhoads you can buy, it's lacking in the features department compared to some of the more pricey models. But that's not to say this guitar is bad at all. The Tune-O-Matic bridge makes it very easy to adjust your action and feels very natural. The jack is located right where you would place your guitar on your leg, so unless you want to deal with that, but a right angle jack! This will solve that problem. This guitar does not have any kind of tremelo system, so if you need one, go look somewhere else for one. // 8

Sound: I mainly play hard rock, metal and punk. But I dabble in a little bit of everything I guess. I play this through a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt. I was very surprised at the quality of the stock pick-ups. It comes with 2 Jackson CVR2 humbuckers. I replaced the bridge pick-up with a Dimebucker after having it for about 6 months. The stock pick-up started to sound muddy to me. I still use the neck pick-up all the time though. I can pull off pinch harmonics very well with this guitar as well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I got this guitar out of the store it did not come with the factory setting due to people getting to mess with it. However even if it did, I would still adjust it to my liking, no matter how perfect it was. I had to raise the pick-ups and lower the actions just a bit. Nothing that 30mins of tweaking can't fix. The ONLY flow I can find with this guitar is the pick-up Switch could be a little smoother. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've accidently knocked this guitar so many times while not paying attention do where I'm going. It still looks like the day I got it. No scrapes, bumps or dents. I don't need strap-locks because the strap buttons hold up very well. The paint seems like it's gunna hold up for a VERY long time. I can definatly depend on this guitar. I wouldn't use it without a back-up just because I wouldn't use anything without a back-up unless I had to. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is well impressed. It's a very good match for the style of music I play. I've been playing for 1 year and like, 6 months (don't judge). If it were lost(who loses a guitar) or stolen, I would definatly replace it assuming I had the cash. Before I got this I used a borrowed Ibanez S370, the Ibanez has a Floyd Rose, but besides that, this guitar blows it away in every category(except maybe the pickup switch). // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: Christian_Metal, on february 13, 2008

Features: The reason that I chose this guitar was the body: Flying V style. I preferred the shorter fin on the bottom, so I went with the JS30RR. As far as features: 24 Jumbo frets, 3 position selector, no tremolo, 2 Jackson CVR2 Pickups, tone knob as well as volume knob. One of the aspects of a guitar that I like is simplicity, and this guitar has all of the simple, strait up features so that I can throw on new strings and go. // 9

Sound: I run all of my guitars through a Line 6, Spider III 75W amp. As a background, I own a Fender Strat, B.C. Rich SOB Avenger, and an Ibanez Roadstar II, and I've played on a Gibson Les Paul. Of all the guitars I own, this guitar, with stock pickups, seems the most musically balanced strait from the factory, and although not a replacement for blues, it can easily compete with my other guitars. I can grind out KSE, Metallica or Testament, or I can play SRV or Christian Music. There are a lot of mixed reviews about the pickups but, if one is looking to be an active musician, then no matter which guitar you select you will probably change the pickups to something better like EMGs or Duncans. I will probably change the Neck pickup, but I am surprised that the Bridge pickup is so clean. I actually played a higher end Jackson and the pickups on it sounded muddy, but this one didn't. The neck pick is also clean but it just doesn't have the tone that I am looking for. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as factory setup? I bought it at Guitar Center, and tried it out before hooking up the amp. The one item I found was I had to adjust the action on the Low E end so that the E, A, and D strings wouldn't vibrate against the frets. This was very easy to do, so not a big deal. The Action on it is smooth and to my liking. One thing that I was worried about was how top heavy the neck would be; to my delight the guitar is well balanced and the neck does not drop to the floor. Another concern was "does it stay in tune?" Well, I played it for several hours over a couple of days, and it stays in tune as well as any of my other guitars, so that is another good feature. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had for very long, but durability seems solid. I would invest in a hard case for it though since it won't sit in a regular stand without the longer wing resting on the floor. Although one shouldn't gig without a BU, this guitar is my choice for jamming or gigging, and I would feel confident in it being my only guitar on a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that for $300 bucks, this guitar is worth it. As I mentioned earlier, I mainly play Metal, SRV, and Christian, and I can play all of these with this guitar. I have been playing off and on for about 14 years, and this is probably the best and last guitar that I will ever buy. If you want the tremolo, then maybe the RR3 would be a better fit, but otherwise this guitar is great. If it went missing, I would miss it and definitely replace it. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: NebraskanMaggot, on may 06, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This is essentially the poor mans Randy Rhoades. Not to say that Jackson skipped out on it. I don't know what year it was made but it was crafted in India. It has a twenty four fret 25.5" neck. I believe it has an alder body with a rosewood fretboard. The pickups (two Jackson CVR2) are passive. There is a volume, a 3-way selector and a tone knob. The pickups are H-H. The tuners are a decent, non-locking Jackson tuners. I got mine for a score of two hundred dollars, including a Coffin Case. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal or shred. But I've got my hand in almost everything. I, myself, play a Fender 15G with a DigiTech RP200. I can get a pretty good tone with the amp alone. (Something about the pedal just messes it up.) I've played it through many amps, including a Line 6 Spider III and a Raven (I don't remember which one it was.) It plays great through all of them. The guitar itself really isn't that noisy, but only for me. If my brother plays it, there is a lot of excess noise, but I think it's just HIM. This thing can sing man. You want metal? You got it. Blues? Anytime, baby. This this is versatile, without intention, I believe. All in all, it's a workhorse. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar arrived to me, the action was perfect. I've had people actually comment on my action (an old buddy of mine.) The pickups are at just about the right height. Being that this was previously owned, there are a few dings. Mainly, one on the edge of the headstock, just a little nick. The rear strap button comes unscrewed with time, but a screwdriver always helps. All in all though, it's a fine guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I previously stated, the only problem is a loose strap button. But it holds pretty tight. It takes a long time and a lot of on off to get it loose. I have played it at a gig without a back up, mainly because I don't have one. The finish has not started to wither at all... And I've been trying. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great guitar. I've been playing for about two years. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another. I love the neck the most. But the thing I hate is sitting with it when playing amped up. The input jack is at the wrong spot. I kind of wish it had a Floyd Rose, but I don't have to deal with the hassle of tuning. I guess it's better off this way. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2010

Price paid: C$ 289

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: This guitar was purchased in 2009 at Long and McQuade. This guitar has 24 frets, a string through body bridge and stock Jackson pickups. This guitar has a Satin black finish and the only problem with the finish is that fingerprints show up fairly easily. This guitar has chrome hardware which has been a slight problem for me. The knobs have a habit of coming lose quite often, but its an easy fix. I have had to start carrying around screwdrivers with me though. // 8

Sound: I play mostly Metal music and this guitar suits my musical style perfectly. This guitar has very good sounds and is not very noisy at all. I play this guitar through a Zoom GFX-1 Pedal and a Line 6 Spider III amp and it works fairly well. This guitar can suit anyone who plays metal, it works well for fast playing and slow heavy riffs. This guitar sounds good clean and with tons of distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly, the action is very good, you can play fast all over the neck without worrying. The pickups required little adjusting and sound amazing. The only problem is the hardware coming lose during transport, It never happens while I'm playing and its an easy fix when it does. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would withstand live playing pretty well with the exception of the hardware, this could be an inconvenience to a guitarist, but I would probably use it live without a backup. The finish is good and would not wear off easily. I have banged this guitar a couple times and its not noticeable whatsoever except for a dent on the tip of the headstock. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for playing metal and even rock. This guitar suits me perfectly. I have been playing for almost 3 years now and this is my third guitar. My previous guitars have been a cheap acoustic and a PRS knockoff. I had a Peavey amp previously and upgraded to a Line 6, which I plan of getting rid of soon due to its digital sound. I have a Zoom GFX-1 and a Dunlop Original Cry Baby. If this guitar was stolen I would buy another one without hesitation. I compared this guitar to other Jackson products, an Ibanez RG and a Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster. The only thing I wish this guitar had is a tremolo. // 10

JS30RR Reviewed by: shoot2kill00, on march 09, 2010

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: As with all JS series models, the RR is made in India. I bought mine about a year ago, but I'm not sure what year it was made. The JS series is the only RR to come with 24 jumbo frets. All other RRs come with 22. The neck has a relatively thin profile. It's a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body is Indian Cedro, and mine has a black finish. The finish is very good, although with a guitar as pointy as this you're always going to have to be careful to avoid chips. The JS30 RR has a fixed bridge with a string though body construction. Take my word for it, as a guitar you use day in day out and take on gigs, this is definitely better than an overly complicated floyd rose. Tuners are Jackson's own and are more than acceptable. The JS30 RR has 2 Jackson CVR2 humbucking pickups, with Master tone/volume controls and a 3 way pickup selector switch. All Jackson JS30 models come with a Jackson gig-bag, which is useful, although unfortunately mine developed a hole through which the point of the V protrudes after only several months. I resorted to plugginf it with cotton wool bound with duct tape. It doesn't look pretty but it does the job and currently I am in the process of putting an EMG 81/60 configuration on it so thats where the money's going. The shop where I bought mine also included a strap in the deal, but this isn't standard. // 8

Sound: I play thrash metal (Megadeth, Metallica etc.) and for this type of music it works well. But seriously, take one look at this thing and you know it isn't going to be used in a country band... I play through a Line 6 Spider II and a Boss ML2. With this equiptment I get a great sound, especially when I'm really going for it playing fast technical stuff. The pickups are not prticularly noisy, and for a guitar of this price you won't find better pickups as Standard fit. The CVR2 works best as a bridge pickup, where its high attack and aggressive sound are good for hard riffing as seen on albums like Kill 'em All and Rust in Peace, and also for solos by Guitarists like Kirk Hammett, and also to a lesser extent Dave Mustaine, and even Dave Murray, who frequently solo on their bridge pickup to get a trebly sound that cuts through. In the neck position it is fine for most stuff, but for clean sounds and for techniques like sweep picking it doesn't produce quite as clear sound as I would like, and more serious guitarists may want to consider upgrading. However for a guitar of this price it is as good as you would expect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the JS30 RR really excels. The guitar I bought was set up perfectly, and is a joy to play. Seriously, I haven't played any guitar which feels so much like it was made to be soloed all the way to the 24th fret and then all the way back again. If you can't play it on this guitar, it's because you suck, and nothing to do with the guitar. The set up really was perfect, and all the parts were flawless. On the build quality front, The JS30 RR offers much more than we have any right to expect from a guitar of this price, or any price for that matter. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything feels virtually airtight it is so well put together. Nothing rattles or has any give in it. This guitar really feels like it was built to take everything you can throw at it. I've had mine for nearly a year and it feels every bit as good as when I bought it. I have gigged with it and will continue to do so. I really think if it's a case of one of us tiring out first, it will be me and the guitar will still be ready for more. The finish is thick and of good quality, and feels like it will last. Just be careful of the points, because the top one is huge and very easy to band of stuff if you aren't paying attention. I haven't chipped mine yet but it is scuffed slightly around the points, and it is covered in sweat and fingerprints, although that is more down to my deficiancies than the guitar's. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 years and as someone who primarily plays metal, I love this guitar. When I take it out of the case it feels like unstheathing a sword, because it just looks and feels like such a brutal weapon. I also own a Yamaha Pacifica and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard but if my house was burning down and I could only grab one guitar and save it, it would definetly be the Jackson. As for it being lost, the notion of such a thing is plainly ridiculous. How the hell could you just "lose" a guitar? If it were stolen I would shut myself away and cry for a number of weeks praying that whoever had stolen it was using it right and not using it to play some godawful pop music or some shit like that. Then once I had accepted that it wasn't coming back I would save up and go striaght out and buy another one. There really is no other product you can compare it to, because to get a guitar as good as this you would have to pay 600+, the only people who wouldn't buy this guitar would be people who are playing counttry or jazz music, or something in that vein, because it simply wouldn't look right on stage. In terms of real problems: The pickups are good, but not perfect, as I have already said, and that is why I am upgrading to EMG 60/81, but for most players the stock pickups are fine. It is slightly top heavy, although not to the point of being annoying. It is difficult to play with sitting down, but this is a problem with all V shaped guitars. But other than that it is an excelent guitar and everyone should at least try it. And make sure you bring some money when you do, because I can almost guarantee you will want one. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32 Rhoads 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014