JS32 Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 11/05/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: JS32 Rhoads
This thing is magic, it has a pretty sleek neck which makes it easy to do any types of leads, it's balanced just right so that when you let it go the neck doesn't slide down. Overall this guitar will not be a disappointment to you at all, good price, floyd rose, comes with a gig bag, and killer looks!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.5
 8.7
 8.2
reviews (3) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
JS32 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2012

Features: - Series: JS - Style: Rhoads - Body Species: alder - Neck type: bolt-on maple - Fingerboard: rosewood - Fingerboard radius: 12" to 16" compound-radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm) - Scale length: 25.5" (648 mm) - Number of frets: 24 - Fret size: jumbo frets - Nut material: graphite - Nut width: 1.69" (43 mm) - Inlays: MOTO Shark fin position inlays - Pickup: dual Jackson CVR2 Humbuckers // 10

Sound: I loved the licensed floyd rose (although its not the original) it stays in tune like it should and you can dive bomb the crap out of it and not have to worry, the neck is pretty smooth and you can get from the lower to the higher frets pretty quickly, you can also solo (great for sweeps) like crazy and also play some heavy riffs with it as well. Pinch harmonics are a breeze. It comes with 2 Jackson CVR2 pickups that are great, but I switched them out for 2 Seymour Duncan distortions (which really made this guitar sound more like a higher model Rhoads [ex. RR3/RR5]). The Jackson pickups I plan to use on another guitar I own. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: If you want this guitar to sound good tuned down get heavy strings because it doesn't handle very light strings well. I got the gun metal grey one and its awesome. I've only had it since Christmas. Its awesome but change stock strings and it will cut out some of the tremolo you get when hitting high pitch chords like the bark at the moon chords. Whammy bar is awesome. This thing is hard to keep in tune especially if you divebomb alot. Overall awesome guitar but change stock strings! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Had trouble with the ratings but I'm happy with this guitar a great big leap from my Epiphone SG it's a bit heavier but the thin neck, whammy and free case make it worth it. If this guitar got stolen there would be blood eventually in the feature I plan to upgrade but for now I'll wail on this beast. // 9

Overall Impression: This thing is magic, it has a pretty sleek neck which makes it easy to do any types of leads, its balanced just right so that when you let it go the neck doesn't slide down. The stock pickups are quite amazing for being stock, perfect for any type of music but lets get serious, if your looking at this guitar then chances are you play mainly rock-metal (etc.) overall this guitar will not be a disappointment to you at all, good price, floyd rose, comes with a gig bag, and killer looks! // 10

JS32 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2012

Price paid: € 295

Purchased from: Musicstore

Features: It was made in India somewhere in 2010 and it features 24 frets which are easy accessible thanks to the Rhoads shape. The body has a nice solid black finish which doesn't chip away easily (unless you run into stuff, which can happen with the tall wing). The body itself is made out of Cedro and the bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is, of course, a Rhoads. It's one of those shapes that you can adore or absolutely hate... I find it quite practical because you can easily access the lower frets and if you place the short wing between your legs when you sit you can play in an angle, which is pretty handy! The guitar has a String-thru body but there are also models, albeit a bit more expensive, that have a Floyd Rose. It has 2 CVR2 Jackson Humbucker Pickups, but seeing as I'm not really an expert in pickups I'm not gonna talk about it that much. The volume and tone are all master and it features a 3-way pickup selector. My guitar came with a free Jackson gig bag which is pretty nice. My rating might seem a bit high but I'm keeping the price in mind too! // 8

Sound: I mostly play 80's rock and metal but I also have a romantic side. I play it through a Roland Cube 15 XL which has Boss effects built in (overdrive, distortion, metal zone and extreme) I mostly stick to distortion. The pickups deliver quite a good sound for such a cheap guitar, but in my opinion too much bass... I usually end up having the bass on my amp really low and the treble very high to get a good sound. Lately I also bought an MXR Distortion+ but I don't like the sound of the pickups through that at all (I like it for my other guitars but for the Jackson I just can't find the sweet spot). The sound variety isn't that big, it's a humbucker guitar so it's hard to get say SRV sounds out of it, but for my style of music it's good. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was playable out of the box, just had to tune it right and it was all good. I did change the strings pretty fast to D'Addario's just 'cause I like them, the ones that it had from the factory were more than decent. Lately the guitars wiring has been failing a bit, it happens sometimes that when switching pickups it just dies and you have to keep ramming the selector to get it back to work. The wood is very tough, I have ran into things A LOT with the tall wing and it has withstood most of it (some of the paint came off, but of course guitars weren't made to hit things). My volume control came off after like a year but a simply screw job can fix that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played several gigs with this guitar and it has withstood all of them without a backup, but lately with the pickups failing I would use this guitar as a backup and my Epiphone as the 'main' guitar. The hardware itself seems to be able to last if you take good care of it, the straps buttons are solid but can be a bit annoying (position wise) for some people. The finish seems very decent and hasn't peeled off because of wear in my case, but then again I have only owned this guitar for a year and half. // 8

Overall Impression: For my style of music it's a good match but then again why would someone who wanted to play blues buy a Rhoads, this guitar is made for heavier genres. I have been playing guitar for somewhere around 3 years and I have owned this guitar for 1, 5 years. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom which I have owned for 2 months (before that I used my brothers guitar). I am very happy with this guitar, it was my very first own electric guitar so of course it has a lot of emotional value as well. If the guitar was stolen I wouldn't buy another one just 'cause it's not the same one... I would either save up for a more high end Rhoads or track down the thief en ram the tall wing in his youknowwhat. // 8

JS32 Rhoads Reviewed by: viperzz33, on november 05, 2014

Price paid: A$ 250

Purchased from: rockshop

Features: Made in 2010
- 24 frets
- Alder body, mahogany speed neck, rosewood fretboard
- Black finish
- Rhoads shape
- High output Jackson humbuckers passive
- Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose
- Standard Jackson tuners
- Came with a nice gig bag

That's about it, the strings were sh-t and had to change it, the bag was a nice bonus. The finished looked good, it was so suited my style well it was older model which doesn't have a pickguard which I am lucky for the new ones have a pickguard and man they look ugly, guess they easier to make so you know. Over all not problems when I got it, just needed some setting up. // 8

Sound: Suits my style very well, I play mostly metal and hard rock. I currently have a spider line 6 amp, improve its tone specially when connected to my 350 watt amplifier with my 5000 dollar B&W speakers, sounds great. I found the sound a bit too dark for my taste so I changed the wiring into parallel, it sounds clearer slightly brighter and has a fuller tone almost like a siglencoil but slightly warmer. Its clean sound and tone is very rich after the mod, I its fun to play jazz and blues on it, then when I crank up the drive it sounds clearer than before. Also it is very easy to do harmonics in the guitar. The pickup I adjusted to my taste which is about 1.5 mill from the string with then last fret pushed down. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was crap when I got it, I had to change basically everything, from strings to truss rod. The Floyd Rose was a pain as they always are. But after that I got my action very low without buzzing. As I am a shredder the speed neck which Is thin feels good, it is a speed demon, as most Jackson guitars. And the v shape allowed easy access to the top frets which I used very often. All components were well placed and shiny no loose bits, its new so what you expect, was on sale actually like 60 percent off, on boxin' day big sale haha I'm lucky. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is tough I'm expecting to have a lot of scratches on the pointy bits though but I think it will last, well its lasted for 4 years and hardly any scratches really, just one small one. The Floyd Rose is very reliable, if properly setup, almost as good as an original if not as good, I haven't tuned it in 3 days as I can't be bothered and I used the whammy bar q lot and its hardly out of tune, I will tune it later though. The strap buttons are great big but I got locking ones aw with all V guitars they are based on aesthetics and have poor balance which I fixed by getting big strap that grips your shoulder or by putting the strap over the big spike thing which works and I think it looks cool. I have played is gigs and competitions, I can rely on it but I'm would have a backup just in case. // 9

Overall Impression: Very good guitar with nice metal tone. Reliable, playable and fun. The scale length I nice with 10s tight tone. Low action if setup properly, its a speedy little thing, but in would love to get a higher end Jackson or a custom made one, it is not the best, but one of the best formats price range. It is best played when on the classical position which I find comfortable, Rhoads shape is brilliant. Just be careful with the spiky ends they may break lol, over nice guitar. The jumbo fret also feel nice easier to play. I'd recommend this guitar for metal players with a low budget, you can scream the heck out of it and it will not go out of tune, when setup properly, trust me. Happy playing. // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.8 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014