JS32T Rhoads Review

reviews (6) pictures (2) 30 comments vote for this gear:
JS32T Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2011

Price paid: £ 249.99

Purchased from: Millennium music

Features: 24 Jumbo Frets, Bolt on maple neck, String Thru Body, 2 Jackson CVR2 Humbuckers. Came with a Jackson Gig bag. // 9

Sound: Pickups sounds great for metal, they give a properly heavy sound, came with .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042 strings, but I quickly restrung mine with some D'Addario Medium top X-heavy bottoms (11, 14, 19, 32, 44, 56) which are great for heavier stuff, as the guitar is permanantly in Drop C tuning. Sounds good on any amp, and is great for pinch harmonics // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem I had was a loose screw at the back of the body which took about 3 seconds to fix. The volume and tone knob become loose quite quickly, but this is easily fixed with the screw at the side. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Have had no problems with pickups, the hardware is absolutely fine, very lightweight so using on stage is fine. Guitar feels solid and well made. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal, varying from older thrash to modern metalcore, and it sounds amazing. I also own a Cort G Series, this guitar is a huge improvement for my playing style. There isn't anything I don't like about it, apart from the fact it's uncomfortable sit with. The one thing I would change about it would be change the pickups to some active ones, although this would increase price. Overall a very good guitar, I recommend it to anyone who plays metal (: // 10

JS32T Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: Al-faisaliah Mall

Features: Mine is made in India in 2010, 24 jumbo frets with rosewood fingerboard and maple neck, Indian cedro body (this wood is close to mahogany and is a good tonewood from India according to an Indian friend and is also sounding better than most Japanese and Korean made guitars), Rhoads form factor, Tune-o-matic bridge string-thru, passive electronics, a volume and a tone control, 3-way blade selector, Jackson CVR2 pickups with H/H configuration, Jackson non-locking tuners, and durable and waterproof gig bag with big pockets and embroidered with Jackson logo which is designed for most recognizable Jackson guitars to fit in, additional few bucks for a decent strap and cable will do. // 10

Sound: I play mainly doom metal, the passive electronics suits my music style very well, the stock p-ups delivered the tone that I've been looking for in a Jackson, the Indian cedro tonewood ain't bad at all, I also play black metal and death metal and this guitar sounds well on that genre as well, and the pickups sounds awesome on a cube 20xl amp that I use as a practice amp. This can do alot of sounds from Thrash to Death metal and even doom. It has a good sustain with the stock strings, .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042, the moment I restrung it D'Addario Medium top X-heavy bottoms, it sustained even better, its not noisy in all switch settings, they say its an entry-level guitar but the sound that I hear from it is like from its uncles, so all in all I recommend it to beginners and intermediate players who loved playing metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came out of the factory ready to kill, the action is perfect, the bridge adjustment is awesome and pick-up adjustments are great, it ain't got any flaws, the action is perfect for stock strings, and I just reconfigured it for my new strings. As I mentioned awhile ago, I mainly played doom metal, I like this guitar's plain jet black finish, it gives a gothic and evil-ly wickded look, unlike other rhoads guitars that have graphic designs, this is very perfect finish in my opinion, suits me and my music best. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You are a foolish individual if you play on a gig without a back-up guitar, its like going to a war with out enough arsenal. This guitar will withstand live playing like all its uncles. Hardware will last of course with proper maintainance and care. Strap buttons are solid, You just need wider straps so it'll stay in place and will not slip. I just had this guitar for a week, with proper care, the finish will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly doom metal, and this guitar looks and sound gothic, it suits my musical preference and style, most metal players from beginners to intermediates will love its looks and sound. So therefore I recommend you to buy one, especially if you wanna try out a Jackson and on a tight budget. You won't regret having this guitar. I can't wish for anymore features on this guitar. I don't wanna deal with Floyd Rose bridges. I can't find anything lacking because it suits my musical preferences. Keep playing metal brothers! // 9

JS32T Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2012

Features: I'm not sure when this guitar was made, but I'm pretty sure its made in India, it has 24 jumbo frets and rosewood fingerboard and maple compound radius neck, Solid top, I got mine in black, (it also comes in different colors: Inferno red and gun metal grey), Rhoads body made from Indian cedro wood (pretty good, so imagined the wood as some sort of alder), fixed TOM bridge string through body, 2 Jackson CVR2 humbucking pickups, 3way blade selector, master tone and master volume control, Jackson non-locking tuners, Gig bag included. // 9

Sound: I play mainly metal, all sorts, from the harshest to the lightest, especially death metal and doom metal, and this guitar is versatile enough to deal with my playing and musical preferences. The stock pickups give a proper heavy sound, fitted for any metal music, and delivers a good clean tone, a move on the tone control will give you a bluesy tone. I use this guitar on a Cube 40XL practice amp, the sound is blowing me every time I play, the sound is like 80's thrash metal, and if I'm using my DigiTech Death Metal pedal, on my Marshall jcm2000, it delivers a cannibal corpse like sound. This guitar inherited the trademark sound of its predecessors. This guitar is perfect for beginners and intermediate players who loves playing metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine came of the factory ready to kill, butcher, and slaughter all other guitars in its price range, the pickups are well adjusted, the action is perfect, it stays in tune for a long time, and it can be tweaked easily if you want, like for playing in drop C. Mine doesn't have any flaws, soundwise and physical wise, wiring is good, no noise while switching pickup selector, no noise as well in all pickup positions, bridge is properly routed, a nice entry level guitar all in all, hmmm, doesn't look like an entry level guitar if you'll ask me though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Playing live without a backup should be avoided, if a string snapped, you're done. This guitar will defenitely withstand live playing like all its predecessors, I use it along with an Ibanez XPT300, I love this one as my main guitar. I had it for only 3 weeks, and I think the hardware and the finish will last for a long time, and will definitely withstand the test of time, I'm using a Fender strap and I think the strap buttons are solid enough for this thing. The paint is very shiny and thick, so it will endure all scratches due to hard playing, but of course, with proper care and maintenance, this guitar will keep its finish for a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned awhile ago, I play mainly play metal, and this guitar is very versatile for every metal music that I play. For my 5 years of playing, I've already played different guitars for metal, and I think what I have right now is piece of marvel and Legend from Jackson. Actually, I came in the this music shop to buy a Yamaha PAC120H, it has 2 humbuckers with alnico V magnets, and then I saw this gorgeous guitar, I immediately ask for it, and without any doubt, bought it with excitement, I can't wish anything for it, I don't want to deal restringing floyd rose bridges and I don't to imitate someone's sound by buying his signature guitar, I just want my own sound, and this guitar defines me and my sound. I really love its finish, its so smooth and the Rhoads style kept me looking at it everytime. The Only thing I hate about it is the single tone control, but that's just a little inconvenience and I can deal about it, I wish it came with a straplock though, lol. // 8

JS32T Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2012

Purchased from: ZZ Sound

Features: The Jackson JS32T King V electric guitar is swift, sleek and deadly - the ultimate shredding machine at a price that won't break the bank. Bursting with fret-burning flamboyance, the King V demands the loyalty of its subjects. With two high-output Jackson CVR2 humbucking pickups, string-through body design and JT390 adjustable bridge. Features: - High-output, custom voiced pickups - 24 jumbo frets - Trademark Shark fin inlays - Jackson gig bag // 9

Sound: I can get many awesome distorted sounds from this guitar through the port, but clean sounds are just average. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I Like the 24 jumbo frets, really good the time to play, is comfortable, elegant and a touch of sparkle with inlay. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Is very powerful when seducing and bullying, which gives a confidence sensations such time to play. // 9

Overall Impression: For Music Core, Death and Metalcore, basically, is very good, has a high-pitched tone which is perfect for a harmonic or a solo very fast. // 9

JS32T Rhoads Reviewed by: mecan1, on may 22, 2012

Price paid: C$ 290

Purchased from: Long and McQuades

Features: This guitar has a floyd rose tremolo bridge and a locking tuner. It has 24 jumbo frets and has a great abstract "V" shape that's perfect for metal and hard rock. It has a volume and tone knob, with a 3-way switcher. It came with a universal Jackson gig bag, which has been very durable for me. Came with two Jackson brand pickups. // 7

Sound: Sounds great for metal-hard rock-grunge. It's always an awesome guitar to show-off because of it's abstract shape. I love to use distortion for heavy riffs and solo with my EVH Wah. It's great with bending, and the sound is everything you want from a rock guitar. Great for licks, riffs, and solos. Chords, not so much. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: There are no flaws on the Jackson yet, except for a defect in the cable jack. A replacement will easily fix that, screw out, screw in. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has been onstage for several occasions, and has performed well throughout. The strap buttons are bigger than most, making it reliable, but strap locks are always recommended. It has lasted for over three years, and looks to last more. Backup guitars are always welcome, but seldom used for this Jackson. // 9

Overall Impression: This is great for Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine, Three Days Grace, and any other hard rock music you want to play. I love this guitar and I loved the price for it. Definitely a must-have for a metalhead shredder. // 8

JS32T Rhoads Reviewed by: quenthel, on august 14, 2013

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I needed a guitar to be permanently tuned to Standard D and didn't want to use one of my other guitars for that purpose. This came at a reasonable price and its owner had replaced the standard humbucker pickups with two Duncan Designed, one of them apparently related to Dave Mustaine (but I couldn't get any more details about that). I've heard horror stories about stock Ibanez and Jackson pickups, so this counted as a plus at the time. Apart from the pickups and a nasty break in the shorter (bottom) edge of the guitar (with the wood chipped as well) the guitar is a standard JS32T Rhoads. The Indian Cedar from which this is made is surprisingly light (perhaps TOO light) and with the bolt-on neck being too thin from what I'm used to, this feels like I'm holding a ukulele. I wish it had locking tuners; personally, I really dislike nonlocking ones, but they seem to hold a tuning acceptably well. Apart from that, it is cheap and it shows. If it weren't for the replaced pickups I would only award it a 6 out of 10. (The rating does not take into account the crack on the edge of the body). // 7

Sound: I play a variety of musical styles ranging from fusion and blues to metal and ambient, though I mostly like messing around with rock and Traditional heavy metal (nothing extreme though). Coming from a Cort KX Custom (my first guitar; still great) and an ESP Eclipse II (my second one) I found the sound to be disappointing at first; too thin and tinny, lacking important fundamentals that made even 4-string power chords sound as if they were coming from a radio speaker. Unfortunately, I cannot know the difference between those "Duncan Designed" pickups and the original ones the guitar had, but I doubt the situation would be improved. After replacing the .09 strings with .11 ones the sound improved a bit and by tuning it a whole step down it now classifies as acceptable. It still sounds a bit thin (thinner than both the Cort and the ESP, which have SD JB/59 and EMG 81/60 respectively) but the sound is usable and rather gratifying, plus I doubt I could tell the difference in the mix after processing has been applied. * I don't have my Marshall amp with me at home due to space constraints; I always use my DAW and studio monitors with VST plugins, unless I'm playing live. While you could argue that this cannot match the performance of a real amp, the comparisons with my other guitars are made using this same setup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar needed intonation configuration and the pickups needed to be lowered (due to the magnetic interference on the strings), but the truss rod and the fret-job were pristine. I like my action as low as I can get it and on this one I managed to get 1mm on the high E and 1.5mm on the low E with almost non-existent fret buzzing. Due to such a low action and the thinness of the neck, I got a bit disoriented at first (being used to my other guitars) but it allows for fast shredding with minimal finger stretching. It's definitely something you get used to and I personally don't mind having to adapt to different instruments. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Despite its lightness, the guitar seems to be able to withstand catastrophic damage (it has done so once already according to the seller), though I wouldn't trust any guitar to not have a backup. The whole build seems quite cheap when you first get your hands on it due to its weight, but after using it for a while I can say that it's probably going to last you for quite a few years with proper handling. The finish is thick (though generic) and apparently there were two coats of it (primer + top coat?). I am afraid I don't exactly know what materials used in it however, but it'd certainly need a lot of sandpaper to get the wood to appear. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a cheap guitar which I wanted for a specific purpose. I don't think it will ever be my primary instrument, though for a beginner it's a much better choice than your typical Fender ripoff (but that's just my personal opinion). I've been playing for about 11 years, starting when I was 20. As for the gear, I mentioned already that I own a Cort KX Custom which was my first guitar and still is excellent and which I usually use for lead parts, and an Eclipse II which performs very well and that I mostly use in rhythm ones. The JS32T cannot and was not meant to compared with any of these however. I don't particularly like that the fit of my Planet Waves locking strap is quite problematic in this guitar, yet I refuse to use any other strap any more. Also, I'd have liked the guitar to have been heavier and the neck a bit wider, but that's just me and my big hands. I wouldn't buy one again if it were lost or stolen however and would probably seek a guitar with an even longer scale to facilitate a Standard D tuning with reasonable hardness on the strings (I like my strings stiff and even .11s are too soft when tuned to Standard D). Bottom line: If you want a beginner guitar, it's a good choice, despite the unusual shape. Even on an intermediate level this a good option if you're on a tight budget, but I couldn't recommend it for anything more serious. // 7

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014