KE2 Kelly Review

9.5
reviews (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
KE2 Kelly Reviewed by: Nirvana101, on july 25, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Similar to the Marty Friedman Signature Model, this US-made Kelly has the same radical Kelly styling, the same maple neck-thru design, bound ebony fingerboard with sharkfin inlay, and a poplar body for lighter weight. One difference is that the Jackson KE2 guitar has a Seymour Duncan SH-2 humbucker, in addition to the TB-4, and it has an Original Floyd Rose tremolo. Includes hardshell case ($169 value). // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer etc. and this guitar is excellent for it. I use a Vox pathfinder amp with a Boss metalzone pedal and the sound I get out of it is great. It could use new pickups. The Jackson ones aren't that great, but if you throw a pair of Seymour Duncans on this badboy it sounds incredible. This guitar can get you a huge variety of sounds from Def Leppard to In Flames. Depending on what settings you put your amp too, you could get a brilliant clean sound to a low heavy sound like Slipknot. Stock it comes with Jackson Pickups so I'm only going to give it an 8 because it still sounds good but the Seymour Duncans would give it a 10. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I didn't buy the guitar new, I can't say how well it was built, but since I bought it, it has been in excellent condition. The action is about a 1 mm from the fretboard so you can shred lightning fast solos with ease. Everything on the guitar was set up perfectly, no loose hardware or anything. The fretboard had some wear from playing but thats about it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is excellent for live playing. It won't go out of tune and if you want, you can swing it around your back since the buttons are solid on it. The only thing I don't like about it is the licensed floyd rose, if you use it enough your guitar comes horribly out of tune so I'm looking into getting an original floyd rose or a kahler. I'd use this guitar at a gig without a backup, it's a solid axe and unless your a ferocious player, your not going to hurt it at all. // 9

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play (metal), this guitar is perfect. I've been playing it for about 9 months now and it kills every other guitar I've played (except for a few $5000 guitars I've played in the music shop). I love the fast neck and low action this guitar has and especially the look. I only wish it had new humbuckers and a better tremelo system on it. Those are the only things that need to be changed over time. If I lost this guitar, I probably would buy it again but after I bought a different guitar, because I love trying out new brands and styles. // 9

KE2 Kelly Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2010

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This is a 2009 Jackson Kelly KE2 USA model, neck thru, 24 frets. It has all the desired rock/metal features, such as a Floyd Rose ORIGINAL (this one is great for dime squeles and shit :), alder body, Quartersawn Maple (fast yet not so thin) neck, and some high output seymor duncan pickups. One control for volume, one for tone. 3 way selector. All in all, great features for a rocker. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal/rock. Altough I also enjoy playing jazz and fusion, there is no question what this guitar is made for. It's a Killer for metal. But it's quite versatile with other generes too if you toggle enough with the tone control and use the neck pickup for lighter stuff. I'm currently using a Randall V2 head, but this guitar.. It fits any f--king amp I plug in too. This never happened to me with another guitar. It has a rich, full sound, not too dark nor too bright, perfect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in great shape, a cool finish (Black with gold pinestripes), no flaws that I have seen.. It also has that great Jackson feature of the keys on the back of the neck.. It's kind of cool that you can pull em out whenever you want. I had to sit down on this action thing a bit, adjust it since it was quite low, changed a bit the height of the pickups, but nothing too serious. Everything else was ok. I guess the one annoying thing is when you toggle the pickup selector it does that little "TAK" noise. But that ain't too serious. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Actually I don't have the guitar enough time to know if it's gonna survive live, but I don't see why it won't. The finish seems strong, so does the strap buttons and the rest of the hardware. I guess I would bring my SG for backup, since I don't trust this YET, but that's just me being extra cautios.. // 9

Overall Impression: I play guitar for 8 years now. I've played on A LOT of guitars, including a Fender Strat and a Gibson SG USA. This, by far, is the best and most fitting guitar I Have ever had. It also has a Killer look, which is great on stage. If it was stolen, I would definitley buy the same one. If you are a metalhead, do not hesitate. This is a great guitar. The only thing I wish is that it wouldn't cost me THAT much. But thats just bitchin' // 10

KE2 Kelly Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 07, 2011

Features: Built at 2010 in the US. 24 Jumbo frets, ebony fingerboard. Eerie Dess Swirl finish. Comes with Killer SH-2 and TB-4 humbuckers. 1 tone, 1 volume knob and a 3-way pickup selector. Floyd Rose original trem. Includes Hardshell guitar case. // 9

Sound: Really great sound. I play mostly metal, hard rock and punk and alternative. This guitar is suitable for all. Very crunchy, beefy sound at the bridge pickup, and a bluesy, jazz, warmer tone on the neck pickup. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was too low for me... So I had to adjust it a little bit. Overall, everything came out great! The pickups were very well adjusted. Guitar was flawless, no scratch, bruise, crack, etc. It was pretty much in perfect shape. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is BUILT for live playing. I think the hardware will last forever, The guitar is kinda unbalanced because of the locations of the strap buttons, but that's really not a big deal to me. The finish is orgasmic, very, very nice to look at. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 and a half years now, and I can tell you it's a must buy for an intermediate or a pro guitarist. I definitely recommend it. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 4.9 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014