Kevin Bond Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 02/06/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: Kevin Bond Rhoads
As guitarist in all-star metallers Superjoint Ritual, Kevin Bond knows how to summon the beast within, and his new signature axe is built to do just that! A rock solid guitar built from the best materials available, it sports wicked pentagram inlays and is available in Blood Red or Neon Green.
 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Kevin Bond Rhoads Reviewed by: TastyTom, on february 06, 2008

Purchased from: Local Dealer

Features: Japan made solid, 3-piece, neck-thru mahogany construction is coupled with a single Seymour Duncan Iommi humbucker(Which I have yet to identify on SD's homepage).It has black hardware a stop. Ebony fretboard with pentagram inlays, 22 Jumbofrets with a scale length of 25.5. JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Schaller Fine Tuning Tailpiece. The guitar has only one knob and that's the volume knob, which suits me perfectly since I play mainly metal. I got no bag or case wiht my axe but that's my own "fault", I did however get some Tool which I don't know where to use. // 9

Sound: This guitar play's amazingly good in a distorted setting, which is what you want this guitar to do. It powers out as much punch as the emg's in my LTD EC-1000 does, which kinda surprised me. I just love pumping up my Line 6 Spidervalve and making this beast scream like the monster it is! This is hands down the best guitar I've ever owned or played and it's worth every penny. it's sounds so badass and you're guaranteed stand out on stage, it's metal as f--k! However it does not sound as warm as my emg's in a clean setting, but when you're owning a guitar this badass you don't wanna play country do you? I'm thinking about replacing the pickup with a emg 81 in the future. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set-up was nearly perfect when I got it, no string action at all. The pickup was adjusted well as far as I can see, but I don't really know how to adjust one. I've had no trouble with the volume Switch eiter and the tuners hold the tuning forever. The intonation was also near perfect and I love the schaller bridge. I've switched to a thicker string gauge and I have some action now so I'll have to get that adjusted aswell as the truss rod. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have no doubt that this guitar will withstand a Live show or 1000. The hardware seems very solid I can't imagine changing it for 20 years or so. The strap buttons are the best I've encountered so far, I don't need strap locks. The finish also seems very solid, they did a good job making this one. If you look at the specs this guitar does not vary much from the RR1t. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar screams metal as f--k! I love it to death, I even named it after my friends kid. I recently bought this guitar and a LTD EC-1000 and this one is my definite favorite. The fretboard plays so well, unlike anything I've ever tried before. I was a bit skeptical when I purchased this because I heard that the neck was thick but this is not true, the neck is a slim D-neck which is amazing to play. The only downside to this guitar is that it lacks some warmth in a clean setting and for some, only 1 pickup is a turn off. Me however, I only use the bridge pickup and for metal mainly, even though I have played a lot of Foo Fighters and other rock songs with it and it still sounds amazing. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014