Mark Morton Dominion Review

reviews (3) pictures (3) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Mark Morton Dominion Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2010

Price paid: C$ 1450

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made in Japan. 22 jumbo frets, Ebony fingerboard, unfinished/oiled neck. 12" to 16" compound radius fingerboard. Neck through body design with graphite rods. Shark eye inlays. Chambered mahogany body with quilted maple top. Schaller bridge. Natural binding. Seymour Duncan 59 pickups with coil taps - volume/tone for each. Sperzel locking tuners with pearloid buttons. Gig bag included - seems kind of cheap compared to the beautiful case EVERY Gibson, and my made in Japan Ibanez shipped with. // 9

Sound: Here is where this guitar shines... Complete tonal variety. Mark Morton obviously plays in one of the best metal bands out there (in my opinion), but this guitar is completely at home playing clean, jazzy/blues, rock - anything really. The coil taps and the chambered body give this thing a HUGE range of tonal options. I have a Fender, Marshall and Vox amp (haven't found a good deal on a Boogie yet), but mostly play live with a Genz-Benz tube amp, and this guitar can do it all. I have Fenders (Am Deluxe Strat, custom Tele), Gibsons (Les Paul, Melody Maker), an Ibanez RG2550E, and my and a couple of cheap Epiphones (Dot, Korina V). This guitar captures all of those sounds. Anything you want is here. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was pretty good, but obviously everyone is different. A couple of quick tweaks, and it was perfect - minor tweaks(intonation), nothing that required a luthier/guitar tech. Finish was perfect... this really is a beautiful guitar which gets a lot of compliments. The neck joint is flawless, and is incredibly smooth right up to the higher frets. I got the "River Bed" finish which is a black/gray color and it is amazing in person - the Jackson site should have the ability to show different finishes on the guitar - all you get there is red with a small picture of the other colors. The "River Bed" with the chrome, ebony fretboard and pearl tuners looks sick. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid... The guitar is heavier than you would think (must be the mahogany), even with the chambered body. The body is actually smaller than it looks in pictures. I wouldn't use this in a gig without a back up, because that's not my style - (one other guitar handy is so easy to do...) Although, if I broke a string the locking tuners make it a quick change, and with proper stretching of the strings, you could be back up and going very quickly. Finish is immaculate, and I really think you should try to see one in person. // 9

Overall Impression: I have played (and owned) most of my "dream" guitars and they have been great, but this thing has stopped my compulsion to keep buying more guitars. I really don't think I'll top this thing for diversity in sound, looks, or playability. (Granted, I don't own an actual 50's/60's Les Paul or Strat, but I don't plan on getting a second mortgage either.)

This baby has the 24.75 scale length of my favorite Les Paul, and is a blast to play, but with WAY more sounds on tap. My band has only ever played Omerta live, as far as Lamb of God goes, (my drummer is as out of shape as I am), but this guitar delivers any sound you could possibly need. As corporate as Guitar World is, this thing got their Platinum Award - I know... that's not the endorsement it used to be, but there are some videos on YouTube to see this thing in action.

If it were stolen, somebody would be getting hurt, but I would get another in a heartbeat. // 10

Mark Morton Dominion Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 09, 2010

Purchased from: Drum City Music

Features: Mine is a first-gen river bed model. I love it but would prefer the upgrades on the new models (i.e., unfinished neck, natural binding). I'm perplexed by the bridge and tail piece... Its listed as a Schaller 456 with an "anchored" tailpiece. The Schaller 456 is something entirely different with fine tuners, not a TOM copy at all. And my tail piece is not anchored. I bought this guitar when it was first made available so maybe the tailpiece thing is an early production fluke. Who knows. // 8

Sound: As I have said in other reviews for this guitar it is terribly versatile. It can do it all from warm or bright clean to crushing saturation and everything in between. I actually love playing it through an old tube screamer and my Mesa Lonestar with the neck '59 and the treble pinched a bit with a BBE Sonic Stomp to get get a great blues rock tone. Here's the gig with this guitar though... It's made for mods. Mark plays one with Phat Cats in it. Bitchin. P90s rock. Others have mentioned the Breeds as well. Great pickups. There is also plenty of room for a Sustainer and its requisite components. Plenty of wiring tricks to be had as well given the two/two layout. Can anybody say "Jimmy Page wiring mod"? // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was a bit surprised to find the reason for an initial intonation issue to be the tailpiece post insert coming loose from the body and lifting by about a millimeter or so. It has since been remedied and the guitar is rock solid. Holds a set up for ever. As stated before, I would prefer the new upgrades, unfinished neck and body binding, but I still consider this to be my favorite guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I changed out the buttons for Schaller lockers. Money well spent. Aside from the above-mentioned issue with the tail piece I believe the guitar is well made and will withstand serious gigging. Any guitar will show wear over time so that's just how it goes. Besides it adds character. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything that grabs my interest... Metal to chicken picking. Jazz to ambient music. This guitar is well-suited for any player that has wide-ranging interests and influences. It feels great, looks great and sounds great. I love the whole back story as well how it's a direct descendant of the swee'tone jazz'r (an amazing but unusual Jackson guitar in it's own right), how Mark Morton worked with Jackson personally to develop it just like Randy did all those years ago. Great stuff. // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014