Mark Morton Dominion D2 Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 04/17/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: Mark Morton Dominion D2
Considering I spend a lot of my time playing LoG and other heavier metal, this guitar seemed to fit my playing style. If you're a metal guitarist looking for a one size fits all metal guitar, this is the one.
 7.7
 6.3
review (1) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Mark Morton Dominion D2 Reviewed by: pitch154, on april 17, 2014

Price paid: C$ 275

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: Before I start, I should say that this review is for the D2 model, not the full model.

This thing has a beautiful body, and a great feel. Not too heavy, but has enough weight that it wont be swinging around like crazy and stays nice and snug to the body. I purchased this guitar off a private seller on Kijiji, and he had upgraded some of the parts (pickups and tuners), so I cant really speak for those specific original parts. Regardless, it has a dual humbucker setup minus the coil tap like the big model has. The pickups the guy put in are Mark Dominion pickups, and god damn, they kick a-s but I'll get on that later. The neck is brilliant, and has a neat contour that makes playing a breeze. The contour is set up to have a shorter width by the nut and gradually increases in width the closer to the bridge you get. The back of the neck is also contoured, being a bit chunkier towards the nut which really helps you get a grip on those tougher riffs, and flattens out starting around the 10th fret to help solo. // 9

Sound: The sound is what really caught me off guard. Like I had mentioned the guitar was fitted with Mark Dominion's humbuckers instead of the standards. I was really expecting these humbuckers to be a one trick pony, being hot as hell offering that signature LoG sound. But I have to say, the clean tones this thing gives off are astounding. So smooth and rich, and really have a creamy blues tone to them. That really caught me off guard. I think I prefer the blues tones from these than that of my Strat. However, there are some downsides to the clean tones, as I've found that bass notes get lost, but I think that has to do with the heat these things give off. Now, onto the distortion tones. WOW. This thing PUNCHES you in the gut, and stomps on your head when you're down. I mean this thing REALLY packs some heat. If you're familiar with LoG's work, I'd say that the tones I can get off this thing are almost identical to that of the tones found off their Wrath album. And that is without any effects or anything, just straight plugged in to a 75w Line 6 amp. I wouldn't say that these are the most versatile distorted pickups out there, but if you're looking for some metal pickups, STOP LOOKING and just go buy the dominions. They are STELLAR. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said, I purchased this off a private seller, and he kept it in immaculate condition. He could've told me it was straight from the factory cause it was just beautiful. Everything was in perfect shape, action was set up beautifully, pickups were in perfect working order. The paint doesn't seem like it will chip or anything, it has a nice finish to it that hides the minor scratches really well. I cant really speak to the routing of the electronics as I have 0 experience with that, but the guy I purchased it from did the pickup replacement himself and mentioned that everything was super clean inside and the process was a breeze. No complaints at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'd say this thing will be able to deal with live playing. It maintains tune beautifully, has a great build quality and high quality parts. Other than the inlays I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference between this guitar and the actual signature model. I haven't had any problems with it yet, and it definitely feels like the sturdiest guitar I've ever purchased. Considering there aren't too many moving parts on this thing, as it has a tail piece bridge, I'm really not sure what would go wrong with it, it just feels incredibly sturdy. I'd even gig with just this one guitar, thats how confident I feel about it. // 9

Overall Impression: Considering I spend a lot of my time playing LoG and other heavier metal, this guitar seemed to fit my playing style. I have to say, if you're a metal guitarist looking for a one size fits all metal guitar, this is the one. (However, do yourself a favor and replace the stock p/u with Dominions! Cant recommend them enough!) I've played on and off for about 4 years now, and I really feel like this guitar has taken me to the next step with my playing. Its so comfortable, and sounds so good its just a joy to play. If it were stolen I would buy it again instantly, no questions asked.

I think the only qualm I have with this guitar is that it doesn't have the cool inlays that the higher priced model has. Thats just a minor gripe too, as its purely aesthetic and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the guitar. If you play heavy metal, you NEED this guitar. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32 Rhoads 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014