MG-Dinky Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 05/06/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: MG-Dinky
It has two EMG-HZ humbuckers, which provide and incredibly crunchy and bassy tone, a basswood body and a maple neck topped with a rosewood fingerboard.
 8.7
 8.8
 8.6
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
MG-Dinky Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2004

Features: I just purchased this 2004 Jackson MG-Dinky. I was looking for a guitar that would enable both faster playing and a crunchier tone than my Stratocaster, and by god I find it! The guitar is made the U.S. and has 24 jumbo frets, on a very wide neck, which enables playing faster than I ever thought I could manage. It has two EMG-HZ humbuckers, which (though not quite as powerful as the standard EMG's) provide and incredibly crunchy and bassy tone. It has a basswood body and and a maple neck topped with a rosewood fingerboard. I has a Floyd Rose bridge which makes the whammy bar much more functional than on Fender guitars. It has a three-way pickup selector and and 3 knobs (two tone and one vol.) and by pulling out the botton knob you can enable a great pre-amp volume boost. // 10

Sound: As my taste in music moved more towards the metal-end of the spectrum, I needed a guitar that would sound both crunchy and have good diction for soloing. The neck pickup provides a great pure sound for solos, as well as a warm clean sound. The bridge pickup delivers an impressive blast of high-output crunch that is idea for even the heaviest metal tunes. Though the guitar may only be good for metal, it is still well worth the $600 i payed at Guitar Center. I'm running it through a 100-watt Marshall Valvestate 2000 and it sounds great on both overdrive channels as well as the clean. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were adjusted fine when I purchased the guitar. My only coplaint would be how losely the tone-knobs were fastened onto the spindles and how the volume knob gets really hard to turn at about 3/4 of the way up. The finish seems to be very durable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself is very durable, I have dropped it on stage several times and I havent noticed anything more than a couple of small scratches. I think this guitar is very reliable and I think it will last quite a while. It provides enough tone that it can power a band easily, without backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I like to play metal, such as Metallica, Pantera, Cold, Godsmack and classic-rock, like AC/DC and Zeppelin. This guitar (with the 2 gain channels on my Marshall) is more than capable of handling all these styles. I was originally thinking of getting an Ibanez RG-1570, which, while it has many of the same features, such as a basswood bdy, 24 frets and a wide neck, is just not as to the point than the Jackson. I would reccomend this guitar to anyone who is looking for a powerful instrument to Drive a rock or metal band. // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32 Rhoads 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014