PS-2 Performer Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 06/14/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: PS-2 Performer
The Jackson PS-2 is a pretty good guitar. Sounds great! With the pickups upgraded and the floyd blocked it's become exactly what I wanted.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 7.8
 7.8
 7.7
reviews (2) pictures (8) 2 comments vote for this gear:
PS-2 Performer Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2012

Purchased from: Pauer Sound

Features: I did some research on it and I believe it was made in '96 with the other Performer Series Jacksons. It was made in Japan. Neck: - 24 Frets - 25.5" Scale - Rosewood Fretboard - Bolt-On Maple Neck - Dot Inlays - 1 11/16 Locking Nut - Jackson Tuners Body: - Alder Body - Passive Jackson Humbucker with two Jackson Single Coils (Don't know exact names, sorry) - Metallic Blue Finish - Super Strat/Dinky body type - Floyd-Rose/Jackson Bridge - Volume/Tone - Five-Way Selector // 8

Sound: I play heavy metal music mainly, meaning Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden. But, I do enjoy throwing some blues in there with Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Jackson is a versatile guitar in terms of it being entry level. With having three pickups, two being single coils, you can get a good variety of tones from it. The body being made of Alder already sort of tells you what it's going to sound like, it's a warm guitar and is light. With the maple neck giving it a bit of extra pop while the rosewood makes it lean more towards the warmer, fuller side. It's essentially a cheaper Kirk Hammett Signature guitar, and it sounds great. I used a Line 6 Spider IV 30 for all my metalness, but to really test the tone, I borrowed a friend's Blackstar amp (I don't remember the exact model, but it was a 60 watt), and it sang... For being a beginner guitar. A major downside is the fact that the bridge pickups blows. It's super high-output, so if you end up playing with the gain on 10, it's gonna screech like hell if you don't turn the volume down. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was kind of high when I bought it, but it wasn't so high that it was cutting into my fingertips. I'm not so much of a guitar techy that I care about how the pickups are adjusted, but they were fine; they weren't hitting the strings or anything, so I was fine. The Jackson was practically new when I bought it, and I've had it for three years so it has suffered dings, scratches, and general wear and tear from constant dive-bombs. It still looks pretty great. A main problem I saw was the fact that the neck isn't as thin as I would like it, it's a bit too thick for me. Another thing is the small-ish fret wire. A redeeming factor with the neck is the fact that you can bend the notes like a maniac with it, but I can't really shred with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Floyd-Rose is durable, despite not being a pure FR. I've done countless dive-bombs on it, I've abused the hell out of it and it stays in tune. The pickups suck, they're too high-output, but I attack the guitar and they've lasted. Alder is a soft-ish wood, and because alder is soft-ish, the strap buttons stripped the screw holes of the wood and they fell out while I was practicing once. I've since gotten some more wood glued in there, still have to buy strap locks. All in all, the guitar is definitely dependable; it's over 15/16 years old for God's sakes. // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar is great, it'll stand the test of time. There are some downsides, such as the pickups or not-so-thin neck, but it's still a quality guitar. If it was stolen, I'd hunt down the person that stole it with the fury of like... 7 men. I'd be pissed off, but I would definitely work my ass off to buy another one. These aren't produced anymore and it's my first guitar; I love it. I wish it had a pure FR, DiMarzio pups, a thinner neck, and Jumbo frets, so I'm going to work for that stuff. Good guitar, hands down. // 8

PS-2 Performer Reviewed by: uncle_sprinter, on march 21, 2012

Purchased from: guitarcenter.com

Features: The Jackson PS2 is a pretty good guitar. It could use a better route for superior pickup replacement capabilities. The H-S-S pickup routes are new to me, I'm use to H-H. The Floyd is alos new to me, having a locking system is cool and all, but mine came all worn out so it don't stay in tune real well. With a better trem it would be a much better guitar. The neck is so comfortable, it was just made for my hand I swear. My hands are not very big either, but a 5 fret stretch from the 1st fret up is real easy. 24 frets so you have like 12 more notes total from the regular 22. I personally wish it was a 22 fret guitar with a fret marker at the first fret like my DR-7. The overall shape is pretty damn good too, just some chinser parts. But not as bad as today's mid range guitar (the ps2 use to sell for like 350 brand new). The electronics were real decent, besides the pickups. I have replaced 2 and hucked the middle pickup. I'll get more into that later. But the pots were both A500K's and the wiring was really clean. It did have a plastic 5 way switch though, I found that a little offensive and have replaced that with a good quality 3 way. The input jack at first worked fine but with some use it worked it's self to be scratchy, I re soldered it and it hasn't been a problem yet. I also replaced the strap buttons with DiMarzio cliplock straps in, bright yellow. Goes good with the reddish color paint with a little sparkle in it lol. Korean made with Korean made tuners which kind of suck, they could use a swappin out with grovers, they'll go in with out modification. I believe the body is made from Alder, it's got some weight that's for sure. // 6

Sound: Sounds great! Now at least after I did some work to it, blocked off the floyd because it was useless, but the blocks thicken up the tone. I play with 9's but the pickups still sound real dark and heavy. I use Elixir Nano Webs I love how slick they are, but I wired in a Guitar Heads Mini Rails (humbucker in the size of a single coil) for the neck and a DiMarzio Super 3 DP150 in the bridge, the neck is great for necky sounds but for me the bridge is where I stay. I play all sorts of metal and sense I got this guitar I have had it in a full step down from standard tuning. Primarily I'm trying to play Death songs and she's thick and punchy enough to match the X2N used in Chuck Shuldiner's B.C. Rich Stealth. Metal is what I play and this guitar my metal machine. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was fine when I got it, but sense then I have fiddled with it and had to re set it up when I blocked the trem off with wood blocks. The finish was pick scarred but that's not the guitar's fault it's who ever owned it before me. They must have been 12 or something... A tad bit of tarnishing on the machines but the bridge was squeaky clean. One of the strap buttons had it's finish wear right off but the other one was black as the day it came out of the factory in Korea where it came from. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't chuck it around no, but if taken care of it'll be fine. The paint will probably last me forever really, the neck is very secure and the frets could use a little bit of work, but I still play it every day! I would never gig w/o a backup this thing's got a floyd one string break and your out man. // 7

Overall Impression: The only things I can complain about is the floyd (which is pretty important and it does need to be replaced). But that'll be worked on when I have some more denaro to spear. And I like 22 fret guitars better, plus that little no marker at the first fret malarkey I was sayin eariler. With the pickups upgraded and the floyd blocked it's become exactly what I wanted. A Metal Machine, thank you for reading. If you get one, I hope you love it as much as me. // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014