PS3 Performer Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 06/03/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: PS3 Performer
Two volume, one tone control. 3-way selector switch. Die cast tuning machines on angled head stock.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 8.8
 8.8
 8.5
reviews (4) 11 comments vote for this gear:
PS3 Performer Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2009

Features: The guitar was made in 1993 in japan. I bought this guitar in an auction for $200, it came with a jackson/charvel hardcase and strap. It has 22 frets, a thin neck with a classic Jackson headstock, rosewood fretboard and jumbo frets, as far as I know the body is made of basswood, body style is a sharkfin V, string-thru body style, two passive stock Jackson humbuckers in a H-H configuration, two volume knobs and master tone control. The tuners were also stock Jackson tuners. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal, every branch and subgenre of it, and this guitar is absolutely amazing! It has the metal look, sound, everything! I use it with a crappy solid state amp and a Boss MT-2 Metalzone, at higher volumes it can get kinda noisy but what do you expect with the gain maxed out? The bridge pickup is great for metal and the neck pickup almost gives a bluesy sorta clean tone, not really my style but nice for when your in the mood for something different // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar the action was a little to high but that was fixed within minutes, so it didn't really bother me, I had to adjust the pickups a little, the finish was still shiny and looked Brand New except for a horrible nasty chip on the long sharkfin, it was slightly repaired so it looks better now. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand a beating, 16 years old and still looking great! I have never used it for gigging but I'm sure it would hold up perfectly, it's a Jacksons after all. I expectit to last another 16 easily. The strap buttons weren't exactly my friends, before I got strap locks the strap would sometimes slide off, one day that happened at band practice and the neck side went plummeting to the hard concrete floor, it hit right on the tip and everyone just went silent, I picked it up to inspect the damage, expecting something horrible amazingly not a single scratch! Talk about quality! // 9

Overall Impression: For metal you can't go wrong with this guitar, for everything else it's ok. I've only been playing for about a year and this was my first guitar, and I love it to bits! It has everything I could have ever wished for. If it were stolen I would hunt the thief mercilessly, and it's way too graphic to explain what I would do to them. I'm planning on getting some Seymour Duncan Blackouts for it, a new neck with a reverse headstock, and a custom paintjob, something similar to the Jackson KV-2 Black ghost flames finish. // 10

PS3 Performer Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made in the mid to late '80s or early '90s (the Performer line is old). It has a floyd rose locking tremolo, dual humbuckers, two volume and one tone nob, and a truly sick transparent blue finish. Very good. Everything I need. // 10

Sound: Sick for metal. Truly sick. If you turn down the distortion a little bit and play the intro to Crazy Train (you all know it) or the solo it sounds a lot like when the great Randy Rhoads played it. However, I play a lot of metal and shredding, but that's not all I play. The humbuckers are way too hot for anything else. I tryed to play Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads on it today, and it just didn't work. Tons of squeaking and buzzing and weird stuff. I give it a 4, because it is good for metal. But not a 5, because it can't handle anything else. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Super, Super low action. A little annoying. Not what I like. However, it just took a little getting used to. It is great for speed and metal shredding, which I am particularly good at. However, when I bought it (sight unseen), the neck was warped, badly. I had to fix it. Luckily, it was free and easy. And now it plays great. I give it a 4, because the action is so low, which can be a little annoying. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Jackson, need I say more? Honestly, these things will survive anything. I heard of one being dunked underwater for three hours and still playing perfectly, if not better. I give it a 5 because it will last forever. Throw your hardest metal at it. It will take it! This ain't no BC Rich. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal. So this is good. However, that's not all I play. Luckily I have three other guitars, a Squier Strat (my first, I still play it), an Applause AE48 (check out my review on that) and a Guild Hollowbody (sweet). I got this guitar for a real bargain. I seem to luck out everywhere, I got this for 177, the Guild for 10 (no joke. And it's great! Probably worth 800), and the Applause for 179, thank you ebay. Expect to pay 450 for this. It's nice. I recommend it, but not for that price. For 177, yeah. For 400, buy an Ibanez of Fender. Either way, very good, but not the best. // 8

PS3 Performer Reviewed by: Ultimate_Taffy, on june 26, 2006

Purchased from: E-bay

Features: Don't know the specific year but pretty sure sometime in the '80s. Only 22 frets, the necks a bit wide for my liking but fret sizes are just right, the fretboard is made of rosewood. The body style is a V with a floyd rose floating bridge tremolo. The electronics are active with two humbuckers. There's a volume control and two tone controls. The humbuckers are Jacksons own. The tuners are locking and are like the humbuckers Jacksons own make. As it was bought off E-bay there was accessories; a flight case, cables, plectrums and a distortion pedal. // 9

Sound: My style is one that involves blues and rock, though I play alot of heavy metal aswell and this guitar suits my style and that of others. It gives a really nice blues tone for a metal guitar but also gives a great rock tone. I use a Boss Metal Zone pedal and a Carslboro 25 watt amp and this is fine through both. It isn't too noisy tho the bridge pickup is quiet. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a bit high and I'm yet to lower it. The pickups were too low and I have highered them. The floyd rose bridge is fine though the locking tuners are irratating for restringing. Mine came with flaws aka the chunk that was broken off but that was because it is old and was getting posted a long distance. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It can withstand live playing and looks awesome live too. The hardware has lasted and will last, especially the floyd rose. Strap buttons are fine. I can depends on this but still wouldn't gig without backup. The finish will last and is beautiful. // 9

Overall Impression: My style is bluesy rock and this suits it well. I've been playing for a year now and playing this guitar for half a year. If I had bought this from a shop I would not have asked anything. If it were lost I'd have to get another one. I love the look its impressive as is any Flying V I also love the floyd rose trem. // 9

PS3 Performer Reviewed by: Blasphemylol, on june 03, 2008

Features: I bought this guitar for about $90. it's got 22 frets, a thin bolt-on neck with a rosewood fretboard wich I enjoy. Mine is black and the finish has taken a beating but still has high gloss. Finish is thick and hard, a pitty mine has been abused. The V-shape body has to get used to but isnt a problem, the guitar does not balance out though wich could become a problem when sliding your power chords aroun (Buy a neck-thru body Jackson and it hangs perfectly). it's got a no nonsense String-thru bridge and tunes easily. My tuners were pretty worn and had to be replaced with aftermarket pieces. It has two passive Jackson humbuckers wich sounds descent but I will be replacing them with the great and amazing Seymore Duncans. I like the V tailpiece and the scratchplate with two volumes and a master tone. The new bolt-on Rhoads don't have these features. // 7

Sound: I play rock and Metal. A great guitar for both. I would have liked to have heard it when it was new because the neck pickup seems really flat tonewise. Play a bit of metal and it sounds great! I'm using a Laney 65Watt amp with a Korg Toneworks multi-effect pedal. The bridge pickup is a bit noisy but it sounds good and you can manage some squeels if you try hard. I suspect my pickups need replacement but overall, not bad. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it the action was a bit high but I set in in 2mins and was able to get it perfect. The neck is still dead straight and all the hardware stood up to abuse pretty well. it's a solid guitar that will last you years. I use and transport mine every day. Even though it is old I didn't find any flaws on it, well built. The finish is thick and doesnt't scratch easily. The only fragile part of the guitar is the sharp top V point, mine is damaged badly and looks as if a file was taken to it at some stage. I am currently moulding on a new point. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its a Jackson! It plays and feels like a workhorse. Good quality everything. The strap buttons are solid and ur strap wont slip off, very good. I would feel comfortable using it on stage without a backup, and have. Good durable finish. Definitely a gigging guitar! // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 8 years, rock, metal and a little blues. The guitar could do with some Seymor Duncans, I've heard one and it sounds amazing. I would definitly try to replace it if stolen although they are getting hard to find, classified a Vintage. I love the shape and the durability, nothing really to hate about it. All problems can be overcome with this guitar. It plays fast and true. If you like the look, go buy one. You wont be dissapointed for the price. // 7

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ KE3 Kelly 8.8 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014