PS4 Performer Review

8.4
 9.1
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
PS4 Performer Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2009

Features: - Solid, flat top, dinky style, alder body with dark blue finish - 24 fret, unbound, thin, maple neck with compound radius rosewood fretboard, offset Dot inlays and locking nut - Floyd Rose licensed trem - H-S-H passive Jackson pickups with 1 volume & 1 tone control and 5-way pickup selector - Jackson locking tuners - Came with a hardshell case // 7

Sound: Being a metal player the guitar fit my style pretty well. I bought this guitar to replace my first guitar (Peavey Predator) back in 1998. It blew that guitar out of the water (not hard). But like most people will say, the pickups are pretty bad, they need to be replaced. The main amp I used with this guitar as factory stock was a Marshall Valvestate VS150. For amount of money I had at the time, this guitar really sounded great for the money. I now use a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100, but the guitar has changed a lot since then (see my overall impression comments). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar 11 years ago, but if I can remember correctly, the guitar was setup great, at least for what I was used to. 11 years later the guitar is still playing great but like I said has changed a lot. The hardware hasn't changed much, but it's still holding great. The only thing I think I've had to replace was a broken saddle block screw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is one heck of a reliable guitar for the most part. I still gig with it all the time. It stays in tune and the FR trem is holding up great. My only gripe is with the neck. After owning this guitar for 2 years or so I took it to a guitar tech and was told the neck was bowed between the 1st and 3rd frets and may not be fixable. Would I gig without a backup? Maybe. I hate not having a backup but I have never broken a string on this guitar...seriously. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar and I have been through a lot in the last 11 years. Pickups: After owning the guitar for about 7 years I replaced the crap stock pickups with EMG an 81 and 85, a metal Standard (got rid of the middle pickup). Those pickups totally brought the guitar to life. A few months ago I replaced the EMGs with DiMarzios (CrunchLab in the bridge, Liquifire in the neck). Guitar still sounds awesome. Neck: The neck has been the biggest issue with this guitar. Like I said before, I was told it was bowed between the 1st and 3rd frets. I still have that neck (not on the guitar anymore) but I can't see any problems. I ended up replacing the original neck with a cheap chinese knock off then replaced it again with a bound Jackson neck (can't remember where it came off of). In any case, it is still one of two main guitars and it completely kicks arse! // 8

PS4 Performer Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2008

Features: This guitar came from ebay and I have had it for about 2 years now. I have light strings on it and am totally satisfied with it's action and tone. It came with a hard carrying case. I had to tighten the Floyd Rose springs and replace a Machine Head and it has played beautifully since. I'm not exactly sure how old it is but I remember researching it and discovering some interesting information. When they were made, some were made in Japan, some were made in another country, the name slips my mind, however the Japan made ones were much better. You can find this out by checking the serial number on the guitar's neck plate, and doing a bit of googling. // 10

Sound: I find for this guitar the sound is completely different between all the pick ups. I play a wide range between classical, funky jazzy stuff, metal and an assortment of rock, and this guitar fills all my needs. The neck humbucker is good for sweep picking yet still has enough sustain to throw in a harmonic and get a clear sound from it. The middle single coil is great. I like to turn the tone down just a touch so you get a very solid yet dulled sound, which sounds great for bass driven clean jazz type stuff. The bridge pick up is very solid and bright sounding and sustains rather well. Good for rythem and lead. As for passive pick ups go, this is a satisfying sound all around. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The fret board is very tall and is well suited for my large hands. The 5 way selector changes between the 1 middle single coild and the 2 humbuckers rather cleanly, very rarely does it pop or spit. The Floyd Rose is a bit tricky to setup, but after you get it tuned, it usually stays in tune. It is also very accurate and fun to use. The finish is this beautiful blue flamed top. It looks different depending on the lighting. Despite the guitar sharp look, the one negative thing I have to say about this guitars finish is that it picks up any finger prints and is impossible to keep looking clean. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played any Live shows with it, but I have jammed a lot with it, and it rarely lets me down, besides a broken string. After doing the initial setup up on guitar myself after purchasing it, it seems that it is holding up very well. The tone and volume knobs, the 1/4" jack, the 5 way selector, everything is still tight and solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this guitar alot. I would never sell it, and if you ever see one for a decent price, check out to see the serial number and where it was made; if it's from Japan, look into it. I have played other $700 Fender and Gibson guitars; and as far as I'm concerned, the quality of this guitar is matched, and in some cases better. // 10

PS4 Performer Reviewed by: aaron00lee, on february 01, 2008

Purchased from: My Brother

Features: I bought this guitar about a month ago from my brother, and having borrowed it for like a year, so I've gotten to know it pretty well. It has an alder body with a flamed maple top, which looks pretty nice when polished. I don't know what year it was made but my brother bought it about 8 years ago, so it's a little out of wack. It has a bolt-on rock maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard and a pre-installed Floyd Rose bridge and locking nut, which still work well. It has a very nice looking transparent blue finish, but if not kept clean it will not be oh so visible. Pickups wise it has a Jackson J70 neck pickup (humbucker), Jackson J135 middle pickup (single coil), and a Jackson J70 bridge pickup (humbucker). It has a five-way pickup selector as well as 2 knobs, one for volume and one for tone. The pickups themselves are not that great, but that just might be from the guitar having been in a case behind a couch for 6 years. Overall it's got a pretty nice setup, I very much enjoy the double lock Floyd Rose. // 7

Sound: Soundwise this guitar isn't so bad, not amazing, but not that bad. I play mostly heavy/rock stuff (Metallica, AC/DC, Coheed And Cambria) so it works pretty well. I'm using it with a Marshall MG15DFX so you can guess how great that is, but I don't blame the guitar. I use it with a heavy gauge of strings 012-52, which works well with this guitar, although it requires 4 springs for the tremolo at maximum spring tension. There's a bit of a fuzz when you twist the volume knob, but it's livable. I mostly have it on for the bridge pickup, which works well for lead guitar or soloing. I never really use the middle pickup as it is not that good, but the two humbuckers aren't horrible. With the tone all the way down and switched to the neck pickup you can get a nice bassy sound, which works for metal. Overall it's a good guitar soundwise, it's not a les paul but it's not a Squier either. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is very low, which is good for soloing but not so great for pinch harmonics. I can't really comment on the factory presets as I bought this from my brother, but when I got it from HIM the pickups were set a little low, had to raise them to get a good long note to hold. Nothing of the guitar has rusted, good quality hardware. The tuners are my only real draw back hardware wise, they don't stay intune very well, but thankfully I have the locking nut installed so I don't need to use them that much. The wood is good quality, finish is still good, overall very nice. It dents easy but aren't all finishes like that? // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand a firestorm, it's pretty hardcore. One of the pickups is loose, but just a little, and it can be fixed easily. If I gigged I don't think I would need a backup, but then again this is my only electric guitar so I really wouldn't have another option. Straplocks are solid, locking nuts are solid, overall pretty solid. The finish doesn't seem like it could wear off, it just can ding easily. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this isn't a bad guitar. It's a bit old and out of wack so it's what you'd expect. I'm planning to fix it up, you know replace the tuners, pickups, maybe the Floyd Rose due to the fact that time has had its wear on it. I would reccomend this guitar to other people, good fingerboard, good setup, and great double locking Floyd Rose. // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ Mark Morton Dominion D2 7.7 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014