RR1 Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 05/05/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: RR1 Rhoads
22 frets w/shark fin inlays. Neck binding. Quilted top, just a Rhaoad's V!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.4
 9.5
 9.7
 9.2
reviews (6) 64 comments vote for this gear:
RR1 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2005

Features: 2004 American made Jackson RR1. 22 frets w/shark fin inlays. Neck binding. Quilted top, not sure what woods RR1s are made of, just a bad ass Rhaoad's V! With an original floyd rose trem, passive SD pickups that really scream! 3-way Switch 1 volume and 2 tone knobs. Double lock nut. // 10

Sound: I love my standard Gibson SG but this thing just blows that one away. Yeah they're completly different guitars but this baby was made for metal! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I bought it "used" (even though you'd swear it was straight from the factory) its craftsmanship is untouched! Such a beautiful guitar, really is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & durability? It's a USA made Jackson! I'm not worried about a thing on this baby! The guys on the Jackson/Charvel forum with original RR1s from the early '80s that have with stood the test of time flawless, so I know shes good! // 10

Overall Impression: I enjoy playing alot of '80s and '90s metal so this guitar is like the Epiphonie of shred guitars. Don't be fooled by generic copy cats. Jackson was there in the begining with Randy Rhoads and together they designed this bad boy there fore its a Rhoads V or nothing! Not knocking other brands but if you're wanting a Rhoads V, it's a Jackson or nothing! // 10

RR1 Rhoads Reviewed by: Anatar, on may 05, 2010

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: Manufactured in Ontario, California 2008. Snow white Pearl with black pinstripes. It has 22 jumbo frets, maple neck-thru construction with ebony fretboard, alder body. Original Floyd Rose & passive Seymour Duncan p/u's. Hard Jackson case included. Purchased from American Musical Supply online. No problems with shipping or damage along the way. // 10

Sound: The sound is very bright and clean on the high end, while still moderately thick with the neck p/u (it doesn't have the heavy muddiness of a Les Paul, certainly, but that is not really expected out of an RR anyway). Excellent sound for metal, IMHO, but of course that's subjective and the RR1 could very easily be a great match for other styles of play, though the looks of the guitar might obviously be an issue for some genres. Sustain is typical of guitars with OFR's. No noticable noise what'soever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is wicked and it plays like a dream. The factory setup was fair- I don't consider this a flaw in the guitar, though. Construction is wonderful throughout- everything is snug & solid, no aesthetic flaws. Attention to detail is excellent- I got what I paid for. Typical problem areas where flaws are commonly found (as on my $750 Epiphone LP Custom), such as poorly seated pots and pooling of finish at the neck joint are non-existent on the RR1. P/U selector Switch is occasionally tempermental (poor connection somewhere) and requires a bit of jiggling once in a while when switching p/u's. Otherwise, perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: What can I say? It feels plenty solid to me, well put together. Nothing is loose, nothing rattles. No complaints or concerns of any sort. I couldn't be happier with overall build quality- $2175 isn't cheap, but I definitely feel that I got my money out of it. Many thousand dollar guitars are of questionable build quality these days- why not just save a bit more for a great one? That extra few hundred dollars will buy you a lifetime of pride and enjoyment. If you stick with playing for a few years, you'll end up wanting and buying a high end guitar anyway. I regret the money I spent on my other new guitar, an Epiphone LP Custom. It's mainly a dust-gatherer nowadays, and feels like a 1970's Plymouth station wagon compared to the Ferrari that is the RR1. // 10

Overall Impression: My tastes lean toward the harder elements of rock, and this guitar is a great match. I've been playing on and off (mostly off) for 20+ years. Past and present toys include late-80's Gibson SG and LP Studio, and more recently an Epiphone LP Custom and this RR1. I'm very, very glad I bought this RR1, as it's a great instrument and well worth the extra hundreds of dollars over the lower end stuff. No regrets, I'd buy it over again no questions asked. All that BS about uncomfortable sitting positions and nosedives is a bunch of crap. If you buy a $2000+ guitar and use a thin nylon strap that is your problem, lol. It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever had and adjusting to it has definitely improved my playing. It's damn near perfect the way it is and I've never wished it had anything it currently doesn't! Lol Thanks Randy! // 10

RR1 Rhoads Reviewed by: hate_me_666, on june 15, 2006

Features: My Jackson RR1 was made in Iowa. It was made in 2004 and I purchased it in December of 2005. It is a RR1 Rhoads Standerd. It has a regular scale fret sizes and about 24 frets. It has Standard Jackson humbucker pickups. It has a floating bridge; the strings go through the back of the body. It came in a Dark Metallic like red. The Body is a "V" like shape similar the Gibson "Flying V". The difference is that the lower wing of the guitar is shorter and the top is longer. Plus, it is more narrow then the Gibson V. It came with 2 knobs; one for the volume and one controlling the tones in the 2 pickups. The pickups are passive. The fret markers are the standard dots unlike the cut off triangles that the RR1 usually comes with. // 7

Sound: This guitar perfectly suits my music style. I play power/death metal stuff. I use a Marshall MG Half Stack with Marshall MG100HDFX head and a 1960 cabinet. I use a FAB Chorus petal (sounds amazing). Immediately when you plug it in, it delivers a powerful tone and volume. It sounds great on all settings. The guitar makes a variety of sounds. Wether you play Metallica or Led Zeppelin (or anything for that matter), This guitar can do it all! Alexi Lahio of Children Of Bodom uses one as his back-up guitar and Kirk Hammet of Metallica used one on the "Master Of Puppets" album. Kirk used a Jackson RR1 T Rhaods. If you turn the knobs and mess around with your amp's settings, you will get an amazing sound that you (and your fans) can be amazed with! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was manufactured in a factory, which I could not believe! The pickups were properly installed to deliver mad sound. The bridge was properly installed and is fluent. Everything is top notch except the tone knob keeps falling off. You have to take a tiny screwdriver in order tighten it! So, If you are looking for great sound a value for cheap, this is the guitar to look out for. // 8

Reliability & Durability: When I step out onto the stage to perform with my band, my RR1 always comes through! The hardware looks expensive. The guitar is a standerd, but it looks like it is top quality and made for the best guitar players. The employees at Jackson Guitars make sure that each detail in the guitars is perfect. The strap buttons are solid; one is located under the lower bridge and one on the back. I don't need strap locks and I can trough it around my shoulders without worry. I would definitely use it with out a backup! I do bring a backup in case I break a string because I don't want the crowd to get impatient. This guitar is my ultimate choise! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar, matches my style perfectly. I play power/death metal. I've been playing for 4 years. I own a Marshall MG Half Stack with Marshall MG100HDFX head and a 1960 cabinet. If I lost this guitar, I would hunt anotherone down. I love everything about this guitar! I wish it had a floyd-rose locking system and wammy. I also would like to get the Jackson neck with the cut-away fret markers! So anyone looking for a guitar, this is the one! // 9

RR1 Rhoads Reviewed by: weve, on march 28, 2007

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: New Music

Sound: Can you say metal, what a f--king guitar. I opened the case and I came in my pants. This thing play anything you want, just ask Trans Siberian Orchestra. It was made for metal, thank you Randy. My ablity is limited to squeals and harmonics, not a classical or jazz player. I beat up my lil Marshall MG amp and My Crate tube loves it. Clean, OD or full on distortion, I found my new gfriend. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I looked this guitar over and not a flaw in the paint, immaculate! The action already set up, neck straight, everything is where it is supposed be. No adjustments required, plug and play. I pulled it out of the case, tuned it up and played it. Comes with Duncans, seems to be set right, I don't need to change them. can't find anything wrong with this peice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Jackson has been around since the early '80s so you know their rep. The paint is not a Maaco paint job, real Duncans and Floyd. This guitar is already a main stay for many professionals and long established players. This will be around for a while. The finish is most definitely durable. You know you can depend on this piece. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my third Jackson and my first USA model, DK2 and DK2m plus one other that I sold. Metal, metal metal, need I say more. I've been playing Slayer, Scorpions, Dokken, Black Sabbath, Maiden blah blah etc. I would buy another in a minute, I'd buy more if I had the scratch. Now all I need is a Wall of Doom, hey Zakk can I get a hand? Dude, if play metal, get this guitar! // 10

RR1 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2007

Features: This guitar is absolutely phenominal. It has 22 jumbo frets, I'm pretty sure it's a maple neck. The neck is also quite thin, so it allows some pretty quick fretwork. It comes equipped with two passive Seymour Duncan pickups (JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck) and they really scream. It also has a Floyd Rose liscenced tremolo system, which I love. I think the tuners are locking, but I don't know for sure. I keep my guitar tuned in D Standard (DGCFAD), which sounds awesome with this guitar. The only drawback is the Floyd Rose can be a bitch to tune. An awesomely, incerdibly sick guitar. I would give it a 20, but hey. // 10

Sound: I play metal, mostly death metal and thrash/speed metal, and this guitar is absolutely perfect for this style of playing. I have my Marshall MG and I usually use reverb and chorus effects, which sound great. It is not noisy at all, ever. It has a nice bright sound to it as well. It makes incredibly awesome sounding pinch harmonics, especially when you make 'em squeal with the whammy bar. Awesome metal guitar. Again, I would give 20. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, what can I say? This guitar is an absolute blast to play. No flaws in the design (except the chip that I managed to put in it despite owning it for less than a year). I just wish the pickup toggle Switch was more loose, rather than kinda stiff. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have already played a few gigs with this guitar and it held up ridiculously well. I actually dropped it a few times and nothing broke. The strap buttons are great, I just had a really shitty strap. I definitely would use it without a backup. It's built like a tank. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play metal and this guitar is perfect for metal. I have been playing for a couple of years now, and I've wanted one of these since I fist saw my freind with it. If it were stolen or damaged, I would probably find that person, slit them open, rip out thier entrails, eat them, spit them out on them and strangle them with thier intestines. OK, probably not, but I would beat the shit out of that person. I was actually looking at an Epiphone Explorer, but this guitar sounds much, much better. I would give this guitar a 50, but I can't, so I won't. // 10

RR1 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Asylum

Features: NAMM 2006 USA "Nuclear Rhoads" custom shop by Mike Learn, 1 of 10 produced (5 with EMG 81 + 85 actives, 5 with the seymour duncuns). Mine is the EMG model. It has 22 jumbo frets with the Shark fins, neck-thru-body quartersawn maple, ebony fretboard and black Floyd Rose original. // 10

Sound: I play metal and that is what this guitar has been designed for!!! the pickups give great low end for harsh riffs and the screaming solos I want. The sound is crisp with no background noise. it's perfect for anyone Who loves pulling squealing harmonics and whammy bar techniques. I play this through either a marshal stack or a Peavey bandit combo. I use a AKG wireless, BBR enhancer, Alesis compressor/gate, Behringer equaliser and LC electronic multi effects. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it I was amazed to find the guitar was set up perfectly; the intonation and action were perfect. Because it was custom made it has been cut with the utmost Precision and I couldnt find a flaw. The fretboard is quick and the pickups are well placed. the only real problem that may arise is if you a person Who sticks their fingers out on their picking hand where you may hit the volume control (as I tuck my fingers most of the time it doesnt't matter to me), so this maybe something you may want to look at before buying. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand Live playing, the only real problems I have had is one of the tone knobs is becoming tempermental and if I stop playing it for a couple of weeks the Floyd Rose gets a bit "rusty". I wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup because, well, that's just stupid because things that have nothing to do with the guitar itself can go wrong e.g. snapping a string. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for the metal I play, which is mainly Children Of Bodom, Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall. I've been playing for just shy of 10 years now, my other guitars are a Dean razorback, Gibson SG Standard, Ibanez jem, bc rich mockingbird, Richwood les paul and they are nothing compared to the Jackson. If stolen I would get the same model straight away (once I get the insurance money because without that I couldnt afford it again!! ). I love the way it play mostly and the way it look. I already he only thing I hate that I can't play it 24/7. I already knew I wanted this model, but when I saw the nuclear graphic I knew it had to be this one // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR3 Rhoads 8.9 Electric Guitars 12/12/2014