RR24XT Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 08/28/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: RR24XT Rhoads
The Rhoads-V style RR24XT has 24 jumbo frets, shark-fin inlays, neck-thru construction and a string-thru bridge. I love everything about this guitar, I am truly biased because the look, feel, and tone match my every aspiration as a guitar player.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (4) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RR24XT Rhoads Reviewed by: toxiccity, on july 19, 2012

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: The Rhoads-V style RR24XT has 24 jumbo frets, shark-fin inlays, neck-thru construction and a string-thru bridge. No locking nut, no floating bridge. A 3-way pickup selector. Basswood body, maple neck. Duncan Designed alnico HB102N (neck) and high-output ceramic HB102B (bridge) humbucking pickups. Volume and tone selector. Mine has a black finish with kawasaki green trim. // 10

Sound: My style can be heard @ www.toxic-city.com. I play hard rock-classic metal, and some progressive stuff (i.e.: Dream Theater, Rush, etc.) I run it through either my Marshall JCM 800 2203 or my Marshall MGCFX102, with a Metal Zone pedal for the MG, and a full pedalboard of MXR for my JCM800. This guitar sounds absolutely incredible. For it's price, it is light years ahead of anything near it. I play a 1200$ Godin velocity, and it is just a bit under par than my Jackson. I played it in the music store and had to buy it, on the spot. Mixed with a Marshall and some overdrive and delay, this guitar absolutely screams, and every fret all the way up to the 24th hits with clarity and sustain. For low end riffage ala Megadeth or Dokken, kick in the bridge pickup and the tightness of diatonic riffs and powerchords is crisp and.. Well, tight! Switch to the neck pickup and it soulfully whales across leads and evoikes the sound of something that isn't at all V-shaped. I truly didn't expect a sound quality of this caliber from something this cheap. Needless to say, I don't mind! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar was well set up from the factory, but I lowered the action regardless, as I prefer as much bending allowance as possible. This was done quickly and easily. As for flaws, the truss rod needed adjustment as a dead spot appeared on my low E first fret. This was also quickly and painlessly done. I find on any cheap guitar, that over-use of volume and tone knobs affects tightness, and I did have to tighten my pots a few times. Note: I play my guitar onstage and it gets very very abused. I have had to perform little maintenance here and there, tightening knobs and washers as I go. I don't expect this guitar to hold together perfectly for 500$, so why should you? All negligible problems, that wont break your wallet or make you lose too much precious playing time. For the price, a 10/10. Relative to other guitars, 8/10. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will take a pounding, but like previously stated, small things like knobs and washers come loose rather quickly under stress. The hardware, particularly the tuning pegs, feels solid and high quality. I have and do use it on gigs without a backup. I trust it, especially since with no whammy bar the strings usually last a tad longer. It came with the best strap locks I've ever owned. The finish is solid and the paintjob rocks, I've received many positive comments (mostly from chicks!) // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 12 years. I have owned 9 guitars, a few Jacksons, an Epiphone, a Fender, and a few others. I would replace this guitar immediately maybe with Orange trim instead of green if it were available. I love everything about this guitar, I am truly biased because the look, feel, and tone match my every aspiration as a guitar player. It is like neon-drenched randy roads toxic 80's lethality. Like I said, it outperforms a boutique guitar that costs more than double what this baby cost. I almost feel beginners don't deserve a guitar this cheap, its wayyyy too easy to play, it almost plays for you. All I dislike about this guitar are the volume and tone knobs, which look and feel great, but aren't solid enough, (which I will get around to remedying), and the input jack, whose washer loosens too easily. This guitar is not for heavy heavy metal, although it could pull it off. Nor is it for blues or country. This guitar sings clean with a timbre that suggests modern radio rock or chiming metal intros. It rips on overdrive like an 80s rock machine, and under heavy distortion, roars sky-high and punches out riffs that would make a lion put its tail between its legs and run. I give this guitar a 10/10, but for the discerning guitarist, considering the bang for the buck, anything less than a 9 would be blasphemy. // 9

RR24XT Rhoads Reviewed by: XxSoultakerxX, on august 28, 2014

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

Features: - Basswood body with gloss polyester finish
- Maple Neck with Rosewood Fretboard
- Bridge: TonePros adjustable/String-thru-body
- Comes stock with Duncan Designed HB-102N (Neck) and HB-102B (Bridge) humbuckers
- 1 Volume, 2 Tone knobs, 3 way selector
- Non-locking tuners
- 24x Jumbo Frets

On paper, this guitar sounds of a mid-range quality for a mid-range price. This could be true depending on what you decide to use it for.
Sustain is good, no bridge problems, nothing wrong with the wiring. I bought one in a Quicksilver finish. // 8

Sound: I use a Marshall MG100HDFX with the matching MG412A cabinet. I use a ModTone-Speedbox Distortion pedal, ModTone-Clean Boost pedal, and a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor pedal. I have a very clear articulate heavy metal sound on a normal basis. Stock, this guitar comes with the Duncan Designed HB102B/N's. These pickups are very hit-or-miss on quality as they are mass produced and can sound decent, or very shoddy. I was fortunate enough to get a decent set of these. Could you get a worse set? Yes. The pickups themselves were not too noisy, standard feedback from a high gain setting, Played clean they sound as good as any standard mid-range pickup would sound. Since the guitar does not come with a tremolo system, you're going to be able to make your standard hardtail sounds. It has a solid sound that, for heavy metal, won't fail to impress. That said, I switched the stock pups for Seymour Duncan Blackouts a month later. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had the action set for me before I played it by someone I trust, but I heard nothing bad about it. Everything was in functional order, but there were a few finish flaws. The beveling on the top fin was poorly done, but could only be seen by close inspection. The faux-binding on the fretboard cracked within a few months but this did nothing to hinder the sound or play-ability of the guitar. The knobs were relatively loose compared to what I'd prefer, they could probably be tightened but my problems were fixed with the hardware change for the pickups. I mostly care about the general look of the instrument instead of the smaller details, but for the sake of criticism I'll give this a 7 because of the flaws in the finish and the cracking. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've owned the guitar for nearly two years now, and haven't had a single problem with it. It has withstood live playing no problem, and the stock hardware still on it has had no functionality problems. Strap buttons should (In my opinion) ALWAYS be changed for a set of strap locks on any guitar. I could depend on using it without a backup. The finish itself is tough, it has buckle scratches on the back but nothing that has penetrated deep into the finish, and to see you'd need a very bright light to reflect off of it. Just like every guitar, no matter how much you try, you're eventually going to hit it off of something, and it has stood up to walls, corners, and chairs without a single scratch on any points. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before, I play heavy metal. This ranges from progressive speed metal to your standard Metallica sound. I've been playing guitar for 7 years and have owned a multitude of instruments, but as of now, this has been one of, if not the best guitar I've owned thus far. If this were stolen, and I had the money to replace it, I would do so in a heartbeat.

What I love about this guitar is that it is a very solid gigging instrument, that could double as a recording instrument. As someone who loves Rhoads and other V style guitars, this was a perfect purchase. There is nothing to hate about this guitar at all besides it making you not want to play any of your other guitars. The only thing I wish it had was a model with a Floyd Rose. Neither the 24 or 22 fret version of this guitar have tremolo systems, nor the option to add one from the factory.

On a personal level, I give this a 10 because the instrument suits me and my style perfectly. Versatility-wise, this can be used for your standard rock to extreme metal, but it has a bit too much bite for anything much softer. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014