RR24XT Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 07/19/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: RR24XT Rhoads
The Rhoads-V style RR24XT has 24 jumbo frets, shark-fin inlays, neck-thru construction and a string-thru bridge. I love everything about this guitar, I am truly biased because the look, feel, and tone match my every aspiration as a guitar player.
 8.8
 9.2
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (4) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RR24XT Rhoads Reviewed by: toxiccity, on july 19, 2012

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: The Rhoads-V style RR24XT has 24 jumbo frets, shark-fin inlays, neck-thru construction and a string-thru bridge. No locking nut, no floating bridge. A 3-way pickup selector. Basswood body, maple neck. Duncan Designed alnico HB102N (neck) and high-output ceramic HB102B (bridge) humbucking pickups. Volume and tone selector. Mine has a black finish with kawasaki green trim. // 10

Sound: My style can be heard @ www.toxic-city.com. I play hard rock-classic metal, and some progressive stuff (i.e.: Dream Theater, Rush, etc.) I run it through either my Marshall JCM 800 2203 or my Marshall MGCFX102, with a Metal Zone pedal for the MG, and a full pedalboard of MXR for my JCM800. This guitar sounds absolutely incredible. For it's price, it is light years ahead of anything near it. I play a 1200$ Godin velocity, and it is just a bit under par than my Jackson. I played it in the music store and had to buy it, on the spot. Mixed with a Marshall and some overdrive and delay, this guitar absolutely screams, and every fret all the way up to the 24th hits with clarity and sustain. For low end riffage ala Megadeth or Dokken, kick in the bridge pickup and the tightness of diatonic riffs and powerchords is crisp and.. Well, tight! Switch to the neck pickup and it soulfully whales across leads and evoikes the sound of something that isn't at all V-shaped. I truly didn't expect a sound quality of this caliber from something this cheap. Needless to say, I don't mind! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar was well set up from the factory, but I lowered the action regardless, as I prefer as much bending allowance as possible. This was done quickly and easily. As for flaws, the truss rod needed adjustment as a dead spot appeared on my low E first fret. This was also quickly and painlessly done. I find on any cheap guitar, that over-use of volume and tone knobs affects tightness, and I did have to tighten my pots a few times. Note: I play my guitar onstage and it gets very very abused. I have had to perform little maintenance here and there, tightening knobs and washers as I go. I don't expect this guitar to hold together perfectly for 500$, so why should you? All negligible problems, that wont break your wallet or make you lose too much precious playing time. For the price, a 10/10. Relative to other guitars, 8/10. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will take a pounding, but like previously stated, small things like knobs and washers come loose rather quickly under stress. The hardware, particularly the tuning pegs, feels solid and high quality. I have and do use it on gigs without a backup. I trust it, especially since with no whammy bar the strings usually last a tad longer. It came with the best strap locks I've ever owned. The finish is solid and the paintjob rocks, I've received many positive comments (mostly from chicks!) // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 12 years. I have owned 9 guitars, a few Jacksons, an Epiphone, a Fender, and a few others. I would replace this guitar immediately maybe with Orange trim instead of green if it were available. I love everything about this guitar, I am truly biased because the look, feel, and tone match my every aspiration as a guitar player. It is like neon-drenched randy roads toxic 80's lethality. Like I said, it outperforms a boutique guitar that costs more than double what this baby cost. I almost feel beginners don't deserve a guitar this cheap, its wayyyy too easy to play, it almost plays for you. All I dislike about this guitar are the volume and tone knobs, which look and feel great, but aren't solid enough, (which I will get around to remedying), and the input jack, whose washer loosens too easily. This guitar is not for heavy heavy metal, although it could pull it off. Nor is it for blues or country. This guitar sings clean with a timbre that suggests modern radio rock or chiming metal intros. It rips on overdrive like an 80s rock machine, and under heavy distortion, roars sky-high and punches out riffs that would make a lion put its tail between its legs and run. I give this guitar a 10/10, but for the discerning guitarist, considering the bang for the buck, anything less than a 9 would be blasphemy. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014