RR3 Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 12/20/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: RR3 Rhoads
The RR3 from Jackson's Pro Series features an Alder body with flamed Maple top, Rock Maple bolt-on neck, Rosewood fingerboard, Duncan Design Detonator pickups, and a JT580LP double-locking tremolo.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.9
 9.2
 8.6
reviews (26) pictures (1) 117 comments vote for this gear:
RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: B-Cup666, on may 16, 2005

Features: Low action, too sweet, it may seem like its hard to get to the upper frets, but its accually not, I don't know if it's the style I play, or what, but I thought it was better. The shark fin inlays are nice, I got lost a little bit sometimes cause the 12th fret is the same at the other inlays. The trem is floyd rose and it's to die for. Sweetest trem I've seen in a while. // 10

Sound: I thought it was a little thin at first, but as I played it louder, I thought it sounded great. Very nice sustain, very nice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I loved this guitar, the only thing I didn't like was the guitar strap placement pins, you get used to it though. The low action is to die for, you can just tap, and it's there on the mark. I think the pickups could of been adjusted a little higher for more treble (that's just me though). Good input slot is in a great place. The locking nut is sweet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd use it soley as my main guitar, I migght bring 2 of the same guitar, just cause you know, s--t happens, so yeah. And guitar is built to last. // 10

Overall Impression: Guitar is badass, the only dis I seriusly have is that if you put new strings on it, when you use the trem you need to retune it 'cause of the floating bridge, but after the strings are broken in, sweet trem, sounds very metal. Worth every penny. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Silenced, on october 27, 2004

Features: Probably made in early 2000's, or late 90's. 22 frets on a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Solid alder body, with a black finish. The body style is Rhoads V, which is an infamous metal guitar style. Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose, two Duncan Detonators which sound surprisingly good. 2 volumes and a tone with a three way selector. It's a double locking tremolo, so there's a locking nut with Jackson tuners. // 10

Sound: I play in a progressive death metal band and this guitar suits the style extremely well. Even though it looks like a great metal guitar, it actually has great clean tone, very remniscent of a Strat with humbuckers. I run this guitar into custom settings on a Digitech GNX and out of a Marshall AVT150 amp. A very dark sound on the neck and a piercing lead tone on the neck pickup, the notes of complex chords come through amazingly well which is important when the distortion is turned up considerably. I believe that this guitar can play any genre of music, you would just look quite silly playing a jazz concert with one of these. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up extremely well, one of the reasons it talked me into buying it. Bridge is perfectly routed and setup for the string gauge, there are no flaws on this guitar at all, which I am happy about since after a few days of getting a guitar I always find some fret buzz or something. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Have used it at band practice once already and she handles great. Hardware should last, if not, it's easy and fairly inexpensive to replace. Strap buttons were changed to strap locks immediately because I don't trust regular buttons. Only a fool would use a guitar for a gig with no backup, but I'd say it is extremely reliable. Finish doesn't seem like it will wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play stuff varying from death metal to rock, and this guitar is perfect for all of it. I've been playing for around 3 years, and I also own an Epiphone LP Custom (SD pickups) and a Takamine EG10SC. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again, I love the shape and feel of this guitar, and the sound will be truly amazing with a pickup change. The only things I wish it had was a real Floyd, ebony fretboard, neck thru design and better pickups, though that is why I'm going to customize this a little bit while saving up for a USA RR1. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Metallon, on may 22, 2009

Purchased from: Musikbörsen

Features: Model: RR3 Rhoads. Made In: Japan. Year: 2006-2007 (not quite sure). Body: Alder with Flamed Maple Veneer. Body Style: Rhoads. Finish: Transparent Black. Neck Construction: Bolt-On with Scarf Joint Head Stock. Neck Details: 25.5" Maple Neck with Rosewood Fretboard. Fret Size: Jumbo Frets. Inlays: Shark Fins. Bridge: Low-Action Licensed Floyd Rose. Hardware: Black with Black Pickguard. Tuners: Jackson's Sealed Die-Cast Tuners. Electronics: 3-Way Toggle, Volume / Volume / Tone Controls. Pick-ups: Seymour Duncan SH2N and Seymour Duncan TB-4 (passive humbuckers). String Gauge: 009, 011, 016, 024, 032, 042. Additional: Comes with a whammy lever and tools for tightening/loosening the nut. When I bought this guitar, it did not come with a hardcase. Note that it was bought new from a shop. It would seem this is something that they either forgot, didn't know about, or just didn't want to tell me, or if Jackson at the time did not offer hardcase with the guitar (their website currently says so, though). Regardless, it's been impossible for me to take this guitar outside because it had came without a hardcase. I'd also like to point out that I quickly had the strings exchanged to Dunlop "skinny top heavy bottom" strings. This guitar has plentiful of nice features such as a floating bridge, a smooth neck, great pick-ups and a very sleek look. However, the alder body leaves a bit to be desired a the tone could've been better with, say, a mahogany body. The neck-dive issue is there as always, of course, although it's not as bad as one would think. Although I prefer 3 guitar knobs on it, I would suppose some people may find two separate tone knobs for each pick-up a feature for extra versatility. The tuners hold up pretty good but could've been better themselves, and the floating bridge isn't exactly a real Floyd Rose - and I personally would've preferred a normal bridge with a stop-tail, I think.The bolt-on neck might work for some, but not for me. On a sidenote, there's no binding here as far as I can tell, despite Jackson's website specifying binding on both the neck and the head stock. I'm not docking points for that because I honestly don't care. At all. Knocking off points for the bolt-on neck, the floating bridge (not being a real Floyd Rose) and the neck-dive issue, as well as coming without a case and being rather expensive, and for coming with less-than-excellent tuners and for being a bit unbalanced weight-wise. // 7

Sound: Well, I play most styles of music. The pick-ups can surely let me play most styles of music; but it's a guitar that should have rock and metal played on it. And I play mostly metal (I play in a metal band) so this baby works just fine for that! I've yet to try it on my main amp (I've only tried it on my Ibanez TBX-15R practise amp) but I've also tried it through a JCM 800 4210, sometimes through an Ibanez TS-7. That's a JCM 800 50W combo and an overdrive pedal respectively, if you didn't know. What I love about this guitar is that, despite its body shape and the wood used on this guitar, it's still got a thick and full tone; it might be due to the thick strings, I don't know. However, where it's thick and nice on one hand, it's too bassy on the other. Again, might be the strings. But I have a full-thickness single cutaway guitar that sounds brighter (and has more attack) than this one. The metal I play is anything from 80's metal and thrash to more modern metal. I'm not a mid-scoop fan, so I usually keep everything at 50%, although sometimes I like to turn up mids a bit and turn down the treble for a more Vintage tone. I also keep my gain at about 60-70% as I don't like when things get too muddy and inarticulated. It does metal well. Very well. I've tried a genuine ESP Eclipse with EMG 60/81's, and in my opinion, this RR3 walks all over that one. Then again you can keep in mind that I've never really liked active pick-ups. It does cleans surprisingly well, too; especially with the neck pick-up. It's very clear and bright (but not too bright) and has a very beautiful character about it. It also does crunch really well, so if oyu're looking to play 70's and 80's rock, this works just as well. The low-action might pose a bit of a problem for those Who are looking to play other styles of music, but most likely you're into metal if you're looking to buy this guitar. So I'm knocking off two point for, what? Well, as I mentioned earlier, it's too bassy, or it just lacks mids and highs. Its sustain is also lacking, as dime squeals fade out too quickly. Might be due to the floating bridge, and the bridge itself only being a licensed one. The bolt-on neck may also be the culprit here, as well as the selected type of wood for the body. Other than that, it sounds awesome. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This was in their storage so I don't know how long it's been there. I just bought it and came back a week later to have the strings replaced as I felt 009-042 was far too thin for my taste, but other than that, no problems. String gauge is: 010, 013, 017, 030, 042, 052. Once the new strings were on, I must say... Nothing. The action is close to perfect (and I say this only because I don't know yet what perfect is). The paint job has lasted and held really well, bar a tiny tiny bit on the long wing, and I suspect that might be due to my knocking it on a door (the obligatory wing dent). I can't complain about the pick-ups' height, the hardware is all firm and in place, very smooth neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't put this axe to many tests as I haven't gigged with it, but I've had it for some time now and as far as I can tell, it's in the same condition it was in when I bought it. So to answer the above questions; It will withstand Live playing, the hardware will last for a long time, the strap buttons are highly unlikely to come off, it's very dependable, the finish seems like it will last a long time, but only a fool would gig without a back-up guitar. Nevertheless, it IS a guitar made out of wood, and it IS a guitar that is made out of hardware that isn't high-end in that manner, so out of common sense, I'm giving it a 9. // 9

Overall Impression: I liked this guitar when I bought it. Then came the neck dive issue, and I didn't like playing with this while sitting. So I started to dislike it. Then I overcame these two problems and now I absolutely love it. Despite this being a Fender-Jackson Jackson, and a Japan-made guitar, it's surprisingly well-built. It inspires me, compels me even, to play, whenever I pick it up. The neck is so smooth and fits your hand so well. I've been playing for almost a year and a half now. This guitar marked my taking music seriously, although I didn't fully pick up the slack until some months ago, but up to eight hours a day with this baby, I've caught up! I bought this mid-September 2008. I wish it had a set-neck or neck-through design, and I wish it had a real Floyd Rose (or preferably no floating bridge at all) and a mahogany body. I used to desire 24 frets but I've since reverted to liking 22 frets. I would say, sometimes the knob under the bridge pick-up can be a bother... that's about it. It looks great, plays great, sounds great, feels great, and sexes up the girls for sure! I'd also like to add that I now prefer playing with a V-shaped guitar while sitting to a normal guitar as moving my hand/arm diagonally is much easier for me than moving it horizontally. So, yeah, it has its flaws. I Live in Sweden so yes, I could've gotten this for like a hundred bucks cheaper, WITH a hard case. But its highlights makes up for it. It's a great guitar. It's minor flaws can be easily overcome. And I suspect that most of you can get this much cheaper than I did. Which means you'll get even more for your money! But it came with its flaws to me, and some of them remain. So an 8 it gets. It's a killer guitar. If you like the shape, and you play rock or metal, buy it. // 8

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2006

Sound: How do you think this thing sounds if someone buys 3 of them. Absolutely freaking amazing doesnt't even start to explain this amazing guitar. I can personally say that this guitar is the ultimate shredding machine for any metal head, not only that but is very versatile as you can use it for many differnt genres. I'm running this baby through a Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier and it's like an orgasm for your ears. I can't make a single complaint about the sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is amazing on 2 of the 3 rr3's I have. Two are tuned to d, g, c, f, a, d and the other is tuned to a, d, g, c, e, a and that's pretty hard to get action on any guitar with, but this baby still tears it apart. The factory settings were not bad but I'm very picky about how my guitars play. Pickups were also put in great but again I had to redo that due to my pickyness. Once again, absolutely freaking amazing and flawless guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: These guitars have been played live on numerous occasions. I actually take all 3 of them to each show, 1 as my main guitar, 1 as a back up, and the low tuned guitar is just brought out for special occasions during a set. The hardware seems to me that it will last long, I'm a pretty harsh player to my guitars and these guitars have definetely been put under tons of pressure and have always been reliable. The strap buttons on my axes were changed to locking buttons like any guitar player should do, noboby I know would want to risk a beautiful guitar like this falling off the buttons. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression, that's a tough one, one thing I have to say is that I've never played anything this great before other than the rr1 but unfortunatly I couldnt afford 3 of those. Another thing to consider is I've been able to complete destroy guitars in a matter of a single year such as Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson SG's, Gibson V, Ibanez RG, and even Dean ML, because simply other guitars just can't keep up with the harsher players towards their axes. I've been playing for nearly 11 years and I'm running this axe through 10 Boss efx, 10 mxr efx, Kerry King signature eq and a Mesa Boogie and it seems like any combination can still compliment this guitar. This guitar can't be stollen from me, it simply doesnt't leave my sight, it's not even questionable. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Poglia, on may 16, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is a 2006 model made in Japan, with 22 jumbo frets on maple neck. Body is solid and made in alder, shape is very nice: it's a Flying V model but not symmetric. It comes with a Licensed Floyd Rose Double Locking Tremolo (wich is very good) and with two AWESOME Seymour Duncan pickups, the same used on Jackson RR1: JB TB4 on bridge and Jazz SH2N on neck. It has 2 volume controls (one for each pickup) and one master tone control. // 8

Sound: I play only metal (Edguy, Sentenced, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall) and some hard rock (Guns N' Roses) and the sound is very good, even on my crap Fender Frontman 15R. I use a DigiTech Metal Master for distortion and I can suggest to use the bridge pickup for rhythm (warm, bass sound) and neck for soloing and clean stuffs (more high and clear tone). Yes, it is nice even on clean channel, you can play blues or jazz with this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar I had to set up myself the action, since lower strings were touching the frets and producing some buzzes and bad sounds. Now all it's good and the guitar it's very comfortable and easy to play. It's not difficult to play it while sitting down and you can reach all frets without problem. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well, I own this guitar only since yesterday, but I can guarantee that is very good and solid. If one day I will go to play Live, I will use it without backup. I trust this guitar. When I have received it there was a broken control (master tone), it was just not attached. I will fix it soon, but this is NOT a guitar problem, maybe it's seller's fault or it has got broken while shipping. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, this guitar is made for this (hey, you can even play clean stuffs, is ALWAYS good)! There are no better guitars for this price. I own a cheap amp, Fender Frontman 15R, but the sound on it isn't too bad. I must use DigiTech Metal Master (awesome pedal) for distortion since the one included in amp is crappy. I definitely buy another one if my guitar will be stolen/lost (and if I have the money). I have even a crap Squier Strat, very bad, and a Ibanez GIO, not so bad: on sound there aren't so much differences between this and the Jackson (but maybe it's my amp). // 8

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Telfman, on january 19, 2009

Purchased from: www.Musicland.co.uk

Features: This is the most recent RR3 with the black hardware. I got mine with the transparent blue and it looks stunning. it has a 22 jumbo fret maple bolt on neck which is bolted on at the bottom and exquisitely ended with the classic 6 in line Jackson head stock. The Body shape although looking extremely sexy is slightly impractical. when sitting down it has to go between the knees and most cases wont fit. The bridge is licensed under Floyd Rose patents and is the best in it's price range. it is fantastic and can really take heavy whammy bar abuse. The bridge works in perfect Harmony with the locking neck and die cast tuners. // 9

Sound: I mainly play heavy metal and this guitar is perfect for it. It can deliver both hard hitting power chords and screeching shredding solos. I use a Peavey Vyper 75 with the sanpera 1 and it is a perfect match. It can make anyone sound like Randy Rhoads himself. The 3 way provides 3 perfect settings for different types of playing. The amazing thing about this guitar is even though it's a metal shape and very radical it also provides the perfect sound for blues or even classical. I have absolutely no problems with the sound and I would highly recommend this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was delivered perfect, I just plugged in and played. The action was perfect and needed no adjusting as were the pick ups. it's almost as if they designed the guitar round me. Everything on the guitar is tight and well built and I just can't believe how good it truly is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play in a metal band and during gigs it is perfect and stays in tune beautifully. I once had a 3 day practice type thing with my band and I did not tune it once. The hardware is very durable and well fitted. the strap buttons are in the perfect place and perfectly fitted. I can definitely depend on this guitar as there are no rattles or loose parts anywhere and the input holds the jack perfectly. I have not had the guitar for very long but it all seems built to last and very well fitted. However there is an Achilles heel for the finish and that is the end of the top V. It looks as if the edges could easily damage with a bit carelessness but most guitars have this. Mine is currently not damaged. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for metal music and I would highly recommend it. I don't see me ever selling this guitar and it has everything I will ever need. I love the transparent blue finish with the matte black hardware. There are only two small problems. The first is that the position of the input can bend some types of leads buy a millimeter or so. However this will not break them and it took me a while to notice and I would not worry about it. The second problem is the shape. It looks fantastic but it means buying a new stand and cases which are hard to find and slightly more expensive. But apart from these two small problems the guitar is practically flawless. Would Highly Recommend! // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: VanTheKraut, on july 28, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Source

Features: First Off this is the RR3 Pro, but the discontinued version (discontinued: 2006) with Chrome Hardware and Duncan Designed Pups. It was made in Japan. 22 Jumbo frets, with a thin flat neck, and Rosewood Fingerboard. Beautiful flamed maple top. Body wood is Alder, Neck is Maple. Comes in the good ol' RR shape. Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose. Passive Duncan Designed Detonators in the Bridge and Neck. Jackson Tuners. Hard case came with it. It gets an 8 for features because the features arnt great, but they're good. LFR is good. Stays in tune quite nicely, I've owned it for almost a year and a half and I've never had any problems. The pickups bring it down though. // 8

Sound: It suits my musical style (Metal) quite well. It looks like a metal guitar, but more importantly it sounds like a metal guitar. Currently I'm running it through a Roland Cube 30X, but I have my sights set on a B52 AT and I'm just waiting to pull the trigger. A very balanced tone/sound with this guitar, the Alder really helps because the Bass, Mids, and Treble are all pretty even. It plays beautifully when played acoustically. The Bridge Pup is good for distortion, but only decent for cleans. The Neck Pickup has Ok cleans but give it any distortion and You'll regret it. It flounders under any distortion. I give it a 7 for a great guitar except for the pickups, If they were decent pickups it would be at least a 9. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little low for my tastes, but that says nothing because I like it high anyway. Pickups were also a little low, had to raise them. No other problems, other than that it was flawless. 9, for easily adjustable "problems" that really come down to taste anyway. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will survive Live playing, I'd watch out for the tips of the V though. The hardware is fine, it's not going anywhere. Everything is solid as a tank. You can really depend on this guitar, I would never gig without a backup, thats just stupid, but would I trust the guitar enough to not need to use the backup? Absolutely. 9. For all around solid-ness. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play Heavy Metal and this guitar is great for it. I've been playing for almost a year and a half, this wasn't my first guitar. Something I wish I had asked before buying it? Hmm... "what are your prices on decent pickups?" I plan to replace them because then this guitar will be the hugest bang for buck $400 guitar on the market, well worth the money. If it were stolen/ lost I would find another one just like it. I love the chrome Hardware, the transparent blue finish, the LFR (which is pretty good) I hate the pickups, I really do, the bridge isnt so bad but the neck pup is horrendous. At the same time as loving it, I hate the LFR, switching tunings is a pain. If this guitar had decent SD's or DiMarzio's or even *gasp* Bare Knuckles it would be like I got a $1000 guitar for $400. Overall great guitar brought down by shit pickups. 8/10 Overall. // 8

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Psykopaten123, on january 13, 2010

Purchased from: Local shop in Sweden

Features: I managed to pickup a Jackson RR3 Limited Edition at a local shop in my town. "I Saw it, I played it, I bought it" to make a long story short. I doesn't say where the guitar is made, but I'm guessing Japan since all the other Pro-series are made there. -22 Jumbo frets. -Rosewood fretboard with Mother of pearl inlays -Alder body (I think) with maple neck. -White with black pinstripes -Classic Randy Rhoads-shape (RR) -Licensed Floyd Rose (Jackson's JT580LP) -Seymour Duncan JB TB4 in the bridge and SH2N "Jazz" In the neck -One master volume and two tone controls with a 3-way switch (B, BN, N) Jackson locking tuners and I got a V-shaped Jackson hardcase included in the price! // 10

Sound: I play mainly heavy, speed, power and some death/black metal. No problems there. I have a POD X3 Live which I at home almost always play through headphones, but when I rehearse I play it against a PA-system, and it really sounds like a devil! Responsive as h*ll, no extra noise here! But with the Seymour Duncans, this guitar can do so much more. Sometimes I like to play clean and such, Works great here too, sounds really warm and nice with the neck pickup. It's almost perfect for everything! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since the guitar is second hand, the guitar had a dent on the longer wing, but the previous owner had fixed it quite nicely (You have to look really close to see it). It also has a small crack just above it, but nothing to worry about, Really nice condition! Since I know the guy in the shop, he adjusted the action killer low and before I bought it he had the frets filed aswell. Nothing to say about it, it's a dream to play! Easiest guitar I've ever played (And I've played guitars rating MUUUCH more than this one) // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I will be going to buy another guitar for more... "Metal" purposes, I'd still go to a gig with this one and not care about backup, this sturdy guitar doesn't need it. I don't know really, but I have experienced that the tremolo on this one might be more well done than the random you can find on other Pro-series Jackson guitars. Might just be me, but it sure feels that way. The finish and everything is really well done, and the guitar has been used but it looks like it's mint condition (except for the dent). // 10

Overall Impression: I've had a DK2M before, but never setup really well. This guitar (though in the same range) kicks the living shit out of it! Not to be mistaken, the DK2M is a wonderful guitar (I have posted a review on it here as well) with almost the same specs as this one, but the setup differs. This guitar just doesn't look bad ass, it plays bad ass and feels really bad ass! Superb guitar, no downsides. If someone would steal this guitar from me... Well, let's say it like this: If someone ever thinks about it, they'll die... Just from thinking it. But more realistic answer, I would try to get it back, if not able to it, I'd track down another one to buy. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: GuitarDesperado, on july 18, 2005

Features: I'm not quite sure what year it was made in, but it has 22 jumbo frets. A bolt-on neck which would usually give me trouble in reaching the higher frets but in this case not, and the shark fin inlays for the frets are a nice little thing to have on the guitar. It's also easy to fly up and down the neck as well when soloing/shredding which is always a plus. The overall look of the guitar is awesome (of course being from the great Randy Rhoads), but due to the design of the guitar it's very easy to get a few dings on the upper fin of the guitar. Also you will need to purchase a special case to fit the RR3 Model in. The guitar also sports a Floyd Rose which is always good. Stays in tune when the strings are "broke in" properly, otherwise you'll be tuning it over and over. Now, for something not-so-good about the guitar: pickups. The Seymour Duncan Detinators are not what I would expect for the price, but they aren't that bad, either. I'm going to place some EMG 61/81 set on there soon and see what this axe can bring in for with the better sounding stuff. // 8

Sound: It's an alright sounding guitar when clean I suppose. It's no Fender Telecaster or anything, but it could be better. With distortion/overdrive - another story. It'll give you some powerful sounds when wailing about the strings, but as stated above, the pickups could have been better. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Buying from Musician's Friend for about a year now, and I haven't had any problems yet. Nothing I've purchased from them has had any flaws, dings, breaks, etc. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar when playing live, and it seems like all the stuff will last unless you bang it up against a few things. The guitar is super light and a hollow-body guitar. I also tend to break strings a lot with this guitar as well, so I would always bring a back up just incase this were to happen. The finish on the guitar is also wearing down and wears down easily through a lot of playing. // 6

Overall Impression: If you like playing hard rock, metal, etc, then this kinda guitar is for you. It has the looks, the feel, and all that good stuff. A good lead guitar for any fast finger. If this axe was stolen or somehow got lost, I'd buy another one. Just replace the pickups on this guitar and it'll be the styled guitar I've always wanted. The best thing I love about the guitar is it's light weight, and how easy it is to soar over the frets and up and down the neck. Again, I wish this guitar came with better pickups for the price, but besides this little thing, I recomend it to anyone that wants to play some metal! // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2005

Purchased from: Theplanetofsound.co.uk

Features: Was made in japan, it has an alder body wit a maple-bolt on neck wit rosewood fingerboard, it has 22-frets with jumbo frets, I got the solid black finish, it aslo has a licsensd-floyedrose wich is fairly good but I'm gonna replace it with a original floyed soon, it has Duncan Desiged pickups (loud). It came with only an Allen key but what can I say for the price! It's shap is of a Flyind V but the bottom V is alot shorter wich actually makes it alot easyer to play whilst sitting down (unlike some V's) overall this was a fantastic buy and the features are exellent especially for the price! // 10

Sound: Sound is loud! Mostly plays metal/thrash etc also the neck pickup has hardley eny bass compared with a Fender or Ibanez etc. Probably because there is hardley end body surounding it (well it is a Flying V). I'm currenlty using a Marshall AVT100 with a Boss MT-2 and the sound is just amazing, the sustain is fairly good but will improve once I put origanal duncans on it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The shop set it up for me and put guage 10's on it so I could downtune to D, ther wer really helpfull, the action is good especially for what I play (metal/shred) so far I have found no faults on the guitar since I bought it, it actually came from the factory set up and ready but I requested to have 10's fitted on. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could play good live and has done, the hardware does seem stable but the floyed-rose is bit stiff, the srap buttons are very solid and also the guitar stands comfetably whilst playing it stood up (it doesn't tilt). Even though it is reliable live, I would always have a backup just in case a string pops because that would place the whole guitar out of tune because of the floyd rose. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is awesome and definitely worth the money, even though mine was built in Japan rather than america the quality of it is awesome, I aslo own an Ibanez RG7620 (7-string) which also has a floyd rose but I useually only use it for recording purposes, I also have a Fender Strat but it was my first so it's kinda worth out (constent playing) I have found nothing so far that I hate about it and I love everything ther is to offer, I copared this with a Jackson DXMG but chose this becuase the shat is more attractive and aslo plays alot better, but I do wish it had an original floyd rose and Seymors but hey, it was only 340 so I ain't complainig. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: AJGgtrst, on may 26, 2006

Features: Early 00's, I still have to look at the neck more to check out the serial and stuff, though I would do it now but I'm at work. I'd rather be playing it. 22 fret, maple neck, rosewood fretboard w/ shark fin inlays, alder body, metal pick guard, floyd rose signature double locking tremelo bridge system, duncan humbuckers, transition black colour (bloody freaking beautiful) Rhoads style V shaped body. Oh so beautiful. This is my dream guitar and I have it. Had it for about 2 years. Only negative thing about it is the damn case, had to buy it after, took 2 bills to get it. I guess I have to save up for the TU-2 some other time then. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal to hard rock, and damn this is the signature guitar, not to mention signature name and I'm damn proud to hold a "Randy Rhoads" style guitar. This baby can make such beautiful warm tones when switched up on the toggle, and put it up w/ a nice warm tube amp, then it's like the tears of angels playing out of the amp. Then add the MT-2 and GE-7 into it, set it to lead toggle and boom, it just comes alive. This goes from bluesy clean to the most aggressive sounding guitar you've ever heard. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was okay, had to play around w/ the saddle screw to lower the higher strings. The buckers were well adjusted even after lowering the strings for better action no adjustment was required on the humbuckers. This guitar had absolutely no flaws in my eyes or ears. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't played it live yet, but however this is gonna be my giggin guitar for sure. The finish will hold up, I've already banged it a few times (and yes I smacked myself just as hard to remind myself not to be careless about swinging it around wildly). The strap button is behind the body so I've played it enough times standing up and so far the strap has not come off the button. Not even once. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and this is my guitar, my dream guitar. If it were lost I would buy another one in a heartbeat (considering that my heartbeats quicker than my wallet gets money but I'd put the new one on my visa). If it were stolen... I would to no end chase the mofo who tried to steal it from me and show him the meaning of pain. But I digress, I love playing on this, and even if you picture me playing as an 80 year old man w/ this on my lap I'd die happy playing it. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Demonikk, on february 05, 2007

Purchased from: Peter Cook's Guitar World

Features: The RR3's body is a beautifully crafted piece of alder with a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard with shark-fin inlays and 22 jumbo frets, more than enough for all but the most hardcore widdlers (but even then it's got enough). When I originally went into the store I was after the black finish, but my eyes alighted on the Eerie Desert Swirl finish, and I just fell in love with it. Looks aside, it has some top-notch hardware on it. Featuring a fully-licensed Floyd Rose double-locking tremolo, Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups (the famous JB model in the bridge and a jazz model in the neck position), separate wolume controls for each pickup. This is the kind of hardware you would expect on guitars costing way more than the RR3. // 10

Sound: It's fairly obvious from it's vicious looks that this guitar is just begging for distortion, and it doesn't disappoint. The bridge JB provides an audio kick in the face when you stab at powerchords and chugs like a runaway train when you apply some Slayer-esque gallop rhythms. The neck pickup is best at lead playing, providing a smooth, warm tone. Even with extreme distortion and bass, your sound doesn't end up all sludgy, notes keep their clarity no matter what. Roll the volume controls all the way down and instead of muting the guitar, you are given a warm, bluesy clean tone that starts to snarl when you really dig in hard. The clean tones really surprised me. From a typical 'metal' guitar you would expect all the atention to go into the filthy side of things, but the Jazz pickup in the neck, and both pickups combined, provide a great clean sound with plenty of character. Perfect for any time you want to roll off the gain and lay down some atmospheric arpeggiated chord sequances. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: On my model, the Floyd Rose was perfectly balanced and the action is amazing. It's so low that bends and legato seem effortless, but with no string buzz at all, anywhere along the fretboard. The neck is thin like an Ibanez, so shreddy runs were a pleasure to play. The pickups were at optimum height, just enough treble, just enough bass. The Floyd Rose kept it in tune, even after extreme whammy bar use. Switching between pickups is kept totally silent, even on a high volume and distortion setting. The volume knobs glide effortlessly with none of that stickiness you get on cheaper models. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can handle Live playing really well, the tuning's solid as a Diamond, it balances perfectly from a strap around my neck and as the input jack is located on the upper part of the 'V', your lead is kept well out of the way of your feet. The strap buttons are solid as hell, but I would personally Switch to a locking set. You should take extra care about dropping a guitar this pointy. I have complete trust in this guitar, but I would take along a backup, a string breakage will spell catastrophe otherwise (the tremolo will plummet into the body, every string will go out of tune and it will take a while to fix. That's how it is with locking trems, so it's no surprise). // 10

Overall Impression: I tend to play mostly metal and shred which this guitar suited perfectly, but it coped extremely well every other style I threw at it, from blues to Indie and funk. This guitar is extremely versatile and will excel in any situation. I ran it through my Marshall MG100DFX and Jim Dunlop Original Wah, and with it I achieved new sounds from my set-up that I couldn't with my other guitars (Jackson JS30KV and a Westone Goth). If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief and beat them to death with an amp. Failing that, I would definitely buy another. I love everything about this guitar, but the EDS finish really makes it stand out from the crowd. I even manage seated practise with it, something you barely hear about a V-shape guitar. I bought this guitar happily over a Dean Razorback (665), a USA Custom Shop Jackson KV (1399) and an Ibanez JEM (1299) and to this day, I am still to regret it. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: guitardemon123, on july 02, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center IN

Features: Well I'm not sure what year it was made, but it was made in Japan, the guitar is constructed with an alder body, in a Rhoads V shape and has a 22 fret rose wood fretboard, it has a solid Black finish on it. It comes with a Floyd Rose licensed bridge. It has two volume nobs and one Tone. It comes with Duncan Designed pickups. It came with Schaller tuners. // 9

Sound: The style of music I like to play is really uncertain. I am really into the metal aspect right now so this guitar really suits my style at the moment. I'm useing a 120 watt Crate VTX series amp. the pickups don't give out much feed back is good, when you turn both volume controls up the guitar will scream when you tell it to. The RR3 has a very full sound with little buzzing but that's just a matter of the truss rod position. the variety of sounds is really great. With the Flyod Rose Tremelo system you can make the guitar scream very loud and proud. It comes with the three channel pick up Switch so there is a lot of variety. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Coming from the factory my guitar was in pretty decent shape. The action was set kinda high so I had that lowered. The pickups were set right the bridge did come crooked but that was easily fixed. It did have a poorly done locking nut set up at the top of the neck. And the pickup switch is noisy. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will surly withstand Live playing, the hardware seems long lasting. The strap buttons seemed solid but I didn't use them I switched them out with Strap lock buttons right when I got the guitar. I can depend on this guitar to get the job done. Although I would bring a back up gutiar just incase the Jackson goes out of tune. Flyod systems are not perfect. The finish does seem like it can last, it hasn't started to wear. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of styles, ranging from classical guitar to metal/neo clasical with everything in between. This guitar can work with all of them. I have been playing for about 9 years now and I also own a Washburn X30 custom that I customized and that is also a peace of ART. I would Say I would of rathered a Laiho ESP V but since that is like 4 grand the Jackson is just as suitable. I would probibly get a different guitar, just so I could try something else, the Jackson is a great guitar. I love the range of sound you can get with the Jackson RR3 but I don't like how I can't sit with it very easily. I chose the guitar becuase it was designed by Randy Rhoades Who is my metal/rock, role model and I wanted to try it. I have no regrets getting it. If you want a full sound with a wide range of flexiblity then check out the Jackson RR3. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: dan ramP, on august 22, 2007

Features: Made in 2007 I guess and made in Japan. It has 22 jumbo frets, a compound 14"-16" rosewood fingerboard and a maple neck. The body is made from alder and solid black and is in the randy rhoads v style. It has a licenced double locking Floyd Rose tremolo which is pretty damn good, 2 Seymour Duncan pickups, in the bridge position a TB4 humbucking pickup and in the neck a jazz humbucking pickup. It has 2 volume controls, a tone control and a 3 way pickup selector. It has Jackson die cast tuners. // 10

Sound: It sounds awesome! no complaints at all. I play melodic death metal predominatly; Children Of Bodom, Norther, Dark Tranquility, some Cannibal Corpse and some rock. I'm running I through my Crate GT15R and a Behringer Ultra Metal pedal. I've noticed a great improvement in the noise department with the Jackson, with my Epiphone I had a constant buzz, but with this there's just a hint of it when I crank it up. This guitars ideal for my style of playing, pinch and natural harmonics are easy to produce and the sustains pretty good considering it's shape. The tremolo is great saying that it's licenced, it hasn't gone out of tune no matter how much I divebomb with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was flawless aside from a crack in the body near the neck, but it's no big deal and is only noticed is you look closely. The guitar arrived out of tune but I expected that as it came from scotland and I live in the midlands. Me being a noob to Floyd Roses, it took me around an hour to set it up properly, but I go it done in the end. The actions pretty good, but at the moment I don't know how to adjust it at the moment so I guess I cound get it better. I was plesantly surprised to find that there were no loose parts and the pots for the knobs turned smoothly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm yet to play the guitar Live, but it seems to be pretty robust, I was concerned that the fins would be fragile but they seem to be sound, only problem I find is that the strap buttons were too big to get straplocks over, but on the plus side that means the straps not likely to come loose, and the buttons are situated in such a way that the strap doesnt't come close to coming off. I wound definately depend on it in a gig, the pickups work fine, and the tremolo doesnt't make the strings snap. // 9

Overall Impression: I play melodeath and this guitar suits me great, it was good enough for Alexi Laiho so it's good enough for me. I've been playing for about a year and 3/4 and this Jackson outshines my Epi Les Paul easily, more features, better sound and tone, and a kickass shape. I had looked up on this guitar before I bought it, and I played it 3 or 4 times in shop so I knew it was awesome. If it was stolen, I'd definately try and get it back, and I'd buy another one with no worries. My favourite features are the tremolo and the shape, only problem is that it's too big for my case so I need to get another one for it, and I really don't wanna drop this guitar on it's fins. I was going to buy the cheaper model, the RX10D, but the RR3 had more features and was better quality so I opted for it instead. If it had 24 frets and cream pinstripe bevels it would be perfect, but I'm exstatic with what it has and I would recomend this guitar to anyone Who likes metal. // 9

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Zeroxsk8er1, on december 10, 2007

Features: This Jackson RR3 features an Alder body with a Flame Maple veneer top (on transparent finishes), Seymour Duncan humbuckers, a 25.5" scale bolt-on maple neck and a compound radius rosewood fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets. Also, black hardware including a Jackson low profile double locking tremolo. Made in Japan. // 9

Sound: I just bout this guitar yesterday, and I played it through a Marshall 30 watt and a Crate XT120R. The Sound I get is really metally, but also clean, and leadish type. The guitar is made for a various(sorry for spelling) types of music styles, it can fit '80s rock and new age metal, because of the Seymour Duncans. I haven't tryed this through my Crate XT120R in full volume, but from what I've played it dosent give much feedback noise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar setup was fine I didn't have any problems with it, and so was the pickups. I'm still a little uncomfortable with the shape, and how to play it. The guitar didn't have any problems but the strap buttons were a little loose, but it's nothing out of this world just grab a scew Drive and your set. I really like how it looks and how it stands out, this guitar will turn some heads around! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Anything will last if you take proper care of it. I had an little accident because of how the body is shaped. The hardware does seem like it will last, and this guitar would withstand Live playing. I could depend on it, but I'd bring another guitar for backup just in case (you never know). The only problem with it is that it gets fingerprints on it easy. // 9

Overall Impression: It's worth more than what I paid for! Man what a deal! If it were stolen I wouldn't actually buy one because I already have a lot of guitars, if this was my only one then yeah! I love how it looks and feels and plays, but I hate the big hardshell case you have to buy and carry around! // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: guitarAce372, on april 14, 2008

Features: This guitar I purchased is a 22-fretted beast. They are jumbo frets which I like when playing certain songs but dislike when playing others. The body is sleek and shiny and the neck is a mystery-wood with what seems to be mother of pearl inlays. It has a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge which is fun to play around with. It did not come with anything extra when I bought it and I had to buy a coffin case because it's the only case that fits this guitar. // 8

Sound: I usually play classic rock but sometimes I play metal. I did not buy this guitar for its sound but for a metal enthusiast this is a great guitar. I use this guitar with a crappy Line 6 Spider III so if you have a Marshall or a nice Fender amp you will love this guitar. It's even pretty decent on my spider. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The playability amazing. It is so playable and that is why I bought it. You will find yourself all over the neck. The guitar came unflawed and everything was fine. The pickups and bridge were all in order. All of the frets are still fine and they play perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is pretty durable and I admit that I have bumped the protruding body a couple of times because of its odd shape. It is still fine. I can depend on this guitar. The finish is fine. It doesn't even have a chip in it. I do not worry about anything happening to my guitar unlike my last guitar, which was a B\.C\. Rich Bronze Mockingbird. This is a quality guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is pretty good. It's really a great guitar even though it doesn't exactly match my style of playing. If you love metal you will love this guitar. I have only been playing for a couple of years but I can tell you that this is one of the greatest guitars I have ever played. There isn't anything I hate about it but I may change one of the pickups to suit my style of playing better. Just buy it already. // 9

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: GuitarFreak1387, on may 16, 2008

Features: I'm not sure on the year but I'm guessing it was made aroun 04 or 05. Was made in japan I belive could be wrong though. it's a 22 fret 25.5 scale bolt on neck with jumbo frets and a rosewood fretboard on a rock maple neck. The body is alder with a gloss black finish. The body style is a randy rhoads styel v. the bridge is a lisensed floyde rose low pro tremolo with locking nut. has passive duncan designed neck and bridge pickups. features two volumes and a master tone controle and a 3 way toggle Switch. Jackson tuners. was supose to come with the 2 allan wrenches and the whammy bar but guitar center didn't have the ones that came with it so I had to get the allen keys myself and gc gave me a different whammy bar that wasn't from the guitar. all the hardwear is chrome except the whammy bar thanks to guitar center. // 7

Sound: The Jackson rr3 is pefect for all rock styles and metal. I'm useing a Ibanez half stack with this guitar and a few pedals. the sound is kina lacking cus of the pickups so I would recomend a pickup swap. but for what they are they are not that bad. the bridge has a nice bright sound and the neck pickup has a nice warm feeling and smooth with the right distortion settings. Iv been able to get sounds from blues to heavy metal with this guitar and many more so it has a wide variety of sounds at your disposal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm guessing the guitar was set up well from the factory but seeing as it was on the show room floor for a while and many other people were useing it and such, it wasn't how I liked it. so I had to set it up the way that I liked it. the pickups were nice the way there were but once again not how I liked them, so I lowered them a little to get a warmer sound. the trem cavity was perfectly routed. when I got the guitar there were now flaws. about a month after haveit it the only problem I had was the trem arm would come loose from the trems base plate, it was an easy fix, all I had to do was put a little plummers tape on the allen screw holding the trem arm assembly to the trem plate and the problem was fixed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: iv had this guitar since 06 and have jammed with friends all the time and practice a hour at least every day and the guitar has held up the whole time. the trem barely goes out of tune when useing it and I kinda abuse the thing to death and only have to tune a tad bit once ever week, and even then it's only a slight adjustment. the hardware I know will last a life time but I plan to replace a few of them for something better. This is my go to 6 string so I have to depend on it. for all my 6 string songs I know I can rely on it without a back up for that tuneing. for different tuneing I'd have to use a different guitar seeing as this has the floating trem and takes time to change tunneings, adjust the spring tension, re set the intonatation ect ect. the finish will last, there are only a few paint chips from hitting the lower part of the body on stuff. and everyon that plays a v or a guitar like this will know how easy that is to do. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly hard rock and metal and this guitar suits the styles well as it does many others. iv been playing for nearly 8 years and also have a Dean avalnche 7 string, Epiphone SG, and a Fender 12 string acustic. befor I bought this I wish I would have had the guy show me how to do a string change and tune the guitar the right way with the Floyd Rose trem. I later had to go online and search how to do it and is not as hard as I though and as many people think they are to set up and stay in tune. If this guitar is ever stolen I would find Who took it and beat them with this guitar and it will Hurt cus of the sharp edges lol. I love almost everything about this guitar, I only wish the pickups were better as they are with the new ones with acual duncans and I wish it had 24 frets. At the time I was looking at this guitar I was also looking at a Jackson dinky. I got this one cus guitar was sold out of the dinky's I was looking at the day befor. like I said I wish the pickups were better and it had 24 frets, that's all I wish it had. so over all it's a solid guitar that I love very deeply. // 8

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2008

Features: The guitar has 22 jumbo frets with sharkfin inlays, a rosewood fretboard and maple bolt on neck. The body is made from Alder wood with a trans red finish. The body shape is the Rhoads V with a Floyd Rose double locking tremelo. The guitar has two Seymour Duncan Detonator HB-103 humbuckers. There is a 3-way pick up selector and 3 control knobs, two for volume (one for each humbucker) and one for tone. The guitar also has chrome hardware. // 9

Sound: The sound of the guitar is amazing. I play a lot of metal and some rock, the guitar fits the genres perfectly. Dispite the fact that I play though a bass amp the guitar still manages to create a pleasant clean sound and when I use a distortion pedal the guitar creates a great "crunch" sound. The guitar can be as loud as your amp can handle, managing to create a rich and full sound at any volume. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar that I bought had been set-up by a professional in the store that I purchased it from. The action was set just right, allowing fast and fluent playing, the pickup selector was slightly noisy, however this was not a problem because it wasn't noticable over the sound of the amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar in concerts a few times and the only problem with it is that it doesn't have strap locks so the strap can fall off quite easily. The hardware has not worn at all so far and I have had it for almost a year now, so I'm guessing they will last. This guitar is dependable, and I have on multiple occasions used it in a gig without a backup. The finish has not worn, however because of the guitars pointy shape it tends to be hit against door frames and other surfaces easily, causing the paint to chip, however if your careful, it probably would not wear at all. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me. I play metal and it creates a great sound for this genre. I've been playing for just over 2 years now and this is my fourth guitar, out of all of them, this is the best, it handles perfectly and allows me to play advanced techniques that I would otherwise struggle with on another guitar. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would definatly buy another. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: TrevXX17, on january 12, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center of Rockville, Md

Features: So the year the guitar was made I'm not to sure of. It was though made in Japan. It has 22 Med Frets. I'm not good with remembering the wood type but I do know it's nice and smooth and looks good. The finish is a nice clean Black. The body style is like a checkpoint shape. like a V-shape but one end is shorter than the other... really nice. It has a Floyd Rose Bridge and active electronics I think. there's 2 volume knobs, Tone, and a rythem/lead Switch I forget wat it's called. Got humuckers..Seymour Duncans with locking tuners. comes with the nessacy tools for it. *NOTE* Cases and gigbags are hard as f--k to Find. I've had mine for over a month now and still haven't found one. Any strap and chords are fine. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style perfectly. My style is lik a mix of Bullet for My valentine and Atreyu..which in a way sorta the same. Right now I'm rockin a Line 6 amp no effect pedals cause... dnt own any lol. I use the effects on the amp and sound is good. It has a real Rich sound. As long you hit the note ryt you got a good sound. It'll make watever sound you want it to with pedals and stuff. has a whammy bar to add to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish of this guitar is lik perfect. I have no problem with it. it does have a screw on neck though. which really isnt a problem. my guitar has no issues with it at all. The finish of the guitar wen I got it was really clean and smooth. it still is becuz I wipe it down after every use. The guitar tht I bought did not contain any flaws at all. lik it seemed tht every thng was put together perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I just got it so I haven't played with it on stage yet. but wen I do I'll submit the review on how it handled. the hardware still looks Brand New so it deff seems it'll last lonng time. Strap buttons are solid. this is a deff reliably guitar..becuz I'm the kind of person to depend on one guitar I'll use it and not even bring my backups. The finsh looks as though it'll last but you shuld still wipe down good to keep it looking good. // 10

Overall Impression: The still of music I play is lik screamo/speed metal. And this guitar is a perfect match. I've been playing since 9th grade..currently in 11th grade. So about 2 yrs now. I own a BCRich Mockingbird Ibanez GIO Line 6 amp and thts about it really. Yea I wish I knew how to re string a Floyd Rose guitar lmao..yea I have no idea wat to do wen a string breaks. If the guitar was stolen, I'd hut the person Who stole beat them with it then buy I new one, but deff color and no Floyd Rose. I love just about everythng about the guitar, I hate the Floyd Rose cause I dnt no wat to do with it. My fav feature is well the look of the guitar. I did compare this to a Schecter hellrasier and a Ibaenz... I chose the Jackson RR3 cause I've had my eye on it for some time. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Brutuz, on april 09, 2010

Price paid: A$ 900

Purchased from: Allans Music

Features: I was looking at any good guitar and I saw this guitar for 50% off, its a Japanese made 22 fret Rhoads style Vee, everything feels very nice, the Floyd Rose was difficult to adjust at first, but now I have adjusted it correctly it hasn't gone out, the only addition that I would have on it is a better paintjob (It chips easily, especially on the corners, although the Transparent Black looks sexy), it didn't come with any bag (Although a hard case was only $100) and I'm not sure the locking tuners work correctly. (That might be my string choice though) // 9

Sound: I play Thrash Metal, mostly early Metallica, Slayer, Diamond Head and Megadeth and it sounds great, my Epiphone SG Special sounded a little better, however unlike the SG high volume doesn't degrade the sound quality, I'm using the max gain my amp can put out on the "Metal Stack" setting, with Bass at 12 oclock, Middle at 1oclock and treble at 3oclock, with heavy delay effects, clean sounds good if a bit easy to distort. My RR3 does seem to have a grounding issue however, I always have one pickup's (Which one varies depending on music) volume at zero so I can use the selector Switch as a killswitch, however if I'm not touching anything metal on the guitar, it makes a buzz sound on both pickups. My amp is a Roland Cube20X without any pedals (Still sounds great) To be honest, if you're going to play anything without distortion, look elsewhere, I sometimes play AC/DC, Rolling Stones, etc style stuff and it sounds alright for them, but then again it is a metal guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Minus the Floyd Rose needing to be adjusted (Because I put on heavier gauge strings, not a fault from the factor), everything was perfect, action is nice and low, the pickups seem to be fine and the only flaw I could find was after a few months of use my Jack started to come loose every now and again. (New nut fixed that) // 10

Reliability & Durability: Apart from 4 dings of the paint, the guitar has handled fine for me, it would definitely withstand live playing and I would use it without a backup, the paint does chip off easily, though only on the corners/headstock where its only on the front bit. The strap buttons sucked, but I put in a locking strap so its no big deal. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a perfect guitar for Thrash metal, it feels great to play and sounds awesome, I've only been playing 4 years and I own a Roland Cube20X amp, this guitar, a Epiphone SG Special and a Yamaha bass, if it was stolen I'd definitely buy another one, unless I could get a Dean Zero XO. I love the paintjob, the action, the sound and only really hate how the Floyd Rose can be plain annoying, my favorite feature is how solid it is (It feels like I could hit someone with it and not get any damage to the guitar). I compared it to a Jackson Kelly KE-3, I got this one because the RR3 felt better to play sitting down (I play classical style, which the RR3 really suits) and it was AU$500 cheaper, the only thing I wish it had was some better active pickups. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Unholy.Daemon, on october 28, 2010

Purchased from: DV247

Features: I bought this guitar about 3 months ago from DV247. It's a Jackson RR3 Rhoads V, Jackson licensed Floyd Rose, Seymour Duncan JB TB4 in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N in the neck. 2 volume pots and master tone pot, with a 3 way selector. Came with Jackson V Hard Case. // 9

Sound: I play alot of metal and hard rock, but also some softer things, Progressive Rock, Alternative, etc. This guitar suits metal really, but it can play whatever on it. The Jazz in the neck gives an extremely nice clean, plenty of bottom end and is also very nice for leads with distortion. The bridge pickup also handles cleans very well, but with a bit more bite to it, and the distortion comes through very, it's very clear with very little muddiness (unless you overdo the gain on your amp, but then that's not the pickup's fault). I tend to use this guitar with either my Zoom G2.1U through a Kustom KGA16R, or through a Line 6 Spider II. Yes, I know my gear isn't exactly amazing, and I know I can't get a brilliant sound, but the guitar does make the Spider Shine more than most. I've given it 8 simply because I've never played it through a really decent amp, so I'm yet to hear it's full potential. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was spot on for me. The action was as low as I've ever seen and there was only a very tiny amount of fret buzz on the D String. The pickups were at a good height, I've not adjusted them since buying the guitar. The finish is perfect, but it does attract finger prints and dust pretty damn quickly, so polish it fairly regularly. There wasn't any flaws in the finish at all, and the case that came with it was in very good condition too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this guitar a couple of times, and it's certainly held up very well. The hardware's all still in perfect condition, the locking nuts keep the tuning very well after several dives and pull ups on the floyd. The strap buttons are very solid. Personally, I never trust any stock strap buttons, so I recently bought some strap locks, but they held up the first time I gigged with this guitar. I wouldn't gig without a backup, simply because we use a few different tunings in gigs, so I'd need another guitar for the other tunings. However, I'm very sure this guitar could hold it's own. I've given it 8, seeing as I've only had it for a few months and that's not really long enough to give a proper impression on reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is perfect for me. I can get the sounds I want from it very easily, and it looks absolutely stunning in the transparent blue finish. If it was stolen or lost, I'd cry. And then I'd go and get another one in an instant, this guitar is seriously good. I compared this to the Jackson PDX Demmelition King V, and I definately preffered this. I love Machine Head, and I think it would be pretty good to have Phil Demmel's signature guitar, but the EMG-HZ's in it were pretty sh*t and 24 frets is too much for me. I definately prefer the RR3 over that, the whole guitar just fits for me. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2011

Features: Made in 2010, Japan. Got it for the GC Black Friday 15% off sale. 22 Frets, flame maple top, alder body, bolt on (wish it was neck thru but that's a lot more $$$)maple neck w/ rosewood fingerboard and shark-tooth inlays. Transparent blue. Comes with Seymour Duncan pups and a Jackson licensed FR (which stays in tune well, although I don't dive-bomb constantly). Jackson tuners, came with a nice hard-case, but I'm still paranoid to take it out of the house.Although the hardware is not the best (no OFR or Grover/Schaller Tuners) For the price, 10, especially considering the pups. // 10

Sound: I've been playing about a year and a half, I own a Line 6 spider IV (yes, very generic, but I don't feel like spending $700 on a tube amp, gotta start saving for college). I play mostly hard rock and metal, some classic rock stuff. I own a Squier Affinity Strat (in the process of being converted into a Frankenstrat), Epiphone SG G400, and a Hamer Sunburst Flat Top. The RR3 surpasses all of those, although I haven't seen its full potential, as I'm stuck with the Line 6. The neck is fast, sweeps, bar chords, soloing is easy. No noise issues, but the tone is pretty much whatever the Line 6 gives me, which isn't bad (I don't cake on millions of effects). The neck pup is great for cleans, and bridge screams for metal, harmonics are easy. 9 as I haven't played it through a proper amp yet. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was great, the action wasn't high, although I prefer it lower. Came with 9's. No flaws as far as I can find. I haven't taken it into GC to get it set up perfectly yet, I'm waiting till I have to change strings. The finish is amazing, and the pups are set up just fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live playing, but I haven't gigged with it. The hardware will last (obviously you have to take care of it). Strap buttons are solid (haven't replaced them). Since I'm not a dumbass, I would always gig with a backup. The finish seems like it will last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Great for metal, hard rock, and cleans. If it were stolen or lost (how do you loose a guitar lol) I would want to buy a new one, but couldn't afford too. I am glad I asked for this guitar, I love everything about it, I hate nothing. My favorite feature would probably be the inlays or the FR. I wish it was neck thru and had an OFR, and ebony fingerboard, but then it would be an RR1, and thats about $1300 more. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: JAMESISW33T, on february 01, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Friends

Features: It has 22 jumbo Moto sharkfin inlay frets on a compound radius 25.5" scale Rosewood fret board, and Maple neck. Solid Alder body with a flamed Maple top on transparent colors. Unique Shark fin body with a Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson low-profile double-locking tremolo. The controls included are Volume (Bridge Pickup), Volume (Neck Pickup), Master Toggle, and a 3-Position Toggle. The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB TB4 Humbucking Pickup. The neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N Humbucking Pickup. The case included with purchase is a Deluxe Jackson Molded Case by SKB. Tools for tuning are also included with purchase. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds very good for all types of music styles. From soft sounds to the crunchy sounds of metal. With a regular practice amp the cleans are amazing. The pickups are very good at picking up notes. When using a Metal Zone pedal the metallic sounds that come from this guitar are nothing but perfect. When using a DigiTech RP255 this guitar is an endless supply of beautiful sounds. The notes have long sustain and beautiful tone. It rarely ever goes out of tune. Tremelo, squealies, and chords are gorgeously displayed when played on either pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up very well straight from the factory. The pickups are very snug along with all electrical parts. The guitar is breath taking out of the box. It comes in perfect condition and looks better then expected. Basically with this guitar and all other expensive investments you must take care of it to keep it in good condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable but you have to take care of the corners. The tips of each corner are very thin and break easily if knicked on a different surface. Everything else is very reliable and needs no worry. I definitly would not advise a clumsy person to get this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is made for metal, so it's perfect for what I play but can also play other genres beautifully. I would definitly buy this again if lost or stolen. // 10

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Xyber9, on august 31, 2011

Price paid: € 200

Features: My RR3 was made in Japan in 2004. It has 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with pearl Shark fin inlays. The body is made from alder with a bolt-on maple neck. The neck is very slim and excellent for shredding on. The body is painted in a black gloss finish with chrome hardware. It also has a double locking licensed floyd rose. The pickups are two Duncan Designed Detonaters which are passive but could go toe-to-toe with active pickups. There are also 6-in-a-line sealed die cast tuners, 2 volume controls, 1 tone control and a 3 way selector switch. Included in the price was a guitar stand made especially for the RR body shape. All in all the guitar comes with great features for the price. // 9

Sound: My music style consists purely of metal in all of its various forms which is a good thing as this is what this guitar was made for. I play this through a 150 watt Line 6 Spider 2 amp on the Insane setting most of the time. From low crunching riffs to lightspeed solos this baby delivers! The only problem is if the volume controls are too high then you begin to lose note clarity and begin to sound out of tune. But this is simply fixed by keeping the volume controls down around the 7 range. The pickups provide a warm sound(great for A7X's sound) and I use Earnie Ball Super Slinky strings which give a bright sound and are great for harmonics. A major problem with this guitar for some players may be its lack of versatility in sound. However, I doubt that if you buy this guitar that you will be playing any blues or jazz with it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first received the guitar, the low E string was way too high but a set-up at a local guitar shop later and it was perfect. I don't think this had anything to do with the factory set-up but may have been caused by the previous owner. Another flaw is the licensed floyd rose. It doesn't hold tunings very well especially low tunings. Any divebombs will knock the tuning out unfortunately. This has led me to resort to resisting any use of the whammy bar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would take the chance of playing this live as long as I didn't touch the whammy bar. Although I would bring a back up guitar just in case of any tuning problems. The guitar looks and sounds too good to be kept for practice sessions, it deserves an audience. The hardware is all pretty solid and works fine. Since 2004 the finish has suffered some wear and tear with some paint chips on the horns and scratches around the pickups from playing. However, this can only be seen by close inspection. For the age of this guitar this kind of wear seems normal and the hardware all feels like it will last another few years. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal so this guitar fits me perfectly. I have been playing for over 2 years now and I bought the RR3 to replace my Jackson JS30DK and to step up into the intermediate player range. If it was stolen I would definently buy another RR3 but maybe with a better floyd rose system. I love the pickups and the shape of the guitar but the floyd rose could be better. // 9

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: Jaspafari, on september 05, 2011

Price paid: € 550

Purchased from: Musicstore

Features: I bought this guitar in 2008, and I guess this is a Japanese one. (I've been looking for a while to date it, but I still haven't got a clue) It is a bolt-on maple neck Randy Rhoads model with 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard with Shark fin inlays. It has a black finish with black hardware. (licensed floyd rose, 2 volume controls, 1 tone control and a three-way pickup switch and a tremlo bar) It's got 2 Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups, a jazz neck pickup and a JB bridge pickup For the 550 I got a free bag worth 50. Now this was 3 years ago, and since then the price in this shop has increased every year. Their site lists it now at over 700. I give this a 9 because in my opinion this guitar is worth more than what I paid for it and overal these are nice features. I'm not that big a fun of the floyd rose since I like to switch tunings a lot, which is really annoyin with this floyd rose, but, hey, I just let this in one tuning and use my other guitar if I like a change) // 9

Sound: I got 2 playing styles, one is trash metal, metalcore, and the other one classic rock like Thin Lizzy, Dire straits,... Now this guitar is ideal for both, the neck pickup has a nice warm sound for the softer music, while the bridge pickup really get's you going for metal. (I think this is the pickup Dave Mustaine uses) The jazz pickup gove a really nice clean sound, while i wouldn't recommend using the bridge pickup without distortion. I guess you can go a lot of ways with the sound from this guitar, but it really is made for metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, it came from warehouse of the musicstore (it really is a gigantic shop and it needs a seperate building for it's storage) and yet it came out of storage in tune! I only have changed the height of the pickups a little, but that's it. Now it misses some paint, but that's totaly my fault as I can't use a V shaped guitar without once in a while hitting something with the wings, so the end bit of the wings lost their paint. What I do find annoying is that when I turn the volume knob to zero, it doesn't totally mute the sound. You can still play and hear it through your amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar get's a 10 since there has been absolute nothing wrong with it for as long as I have it. There is no wear on the hardware, not even a little rust, really nice strap buttons and I think this guitar can take a lot of abuse. The finish doesn't wear off, only if you hit it against a wall, which I guess will be so with every guitar. This could be used surely without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: For me playing metal, this guitar has the ideal sound. I have been playing for 3 years now, and this is been y very first guitar I bought myself (started learning on a guitar a friend let me use) and it is still my favorite guitar (got 4 at the moment) It has never let me down, and I don't see that happening anytime sound. If it would be stolen, I would not by this again though, for the simple reason I'd like a change for once. But I would surely recommend this guitar to people wanting to buy a metal guitar in the 600-700 euro range. // 9

RR3 Rhoads Reviewed by: ThomasKarppinen, on december 20, 2013

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: Previous owner

Features: The Jackson RR3-series was a Japanese line of Randy Rhoads styled guitars that had a bolt-on neck rather than a neck-through-body construction. Mine is from around 2008 and it has a Seymour Duncan set of PUs (JB and Jazz) that were used during the later years of manufacturing these guitars. The guitar has an alder body with a very pleasant looking maple veneer. The neck has the typical features that you would expect with this kind of guitar: maple shaft, rosewood board, the Fender scale, 22 jumbo sized frets, the Charvel/Jackson fretboard radius and so on. The headstock has a scarf joint. The sharkfin shaped inlays are aboard, which is neat. The guitar has Jackson's own jt580lp tremolo system which is just fine. I originally thought that I need to replace it with some high-end Floyd, but as it performs just well, there's really no need to ditch it. The tremolo system is recessed, so there is a cavity under the bridge to make possible unobstructed whammy operations. Oh yeah, the hardware is all black, which gives the guitar a very modern and delightfully ominous look! // 8

Sound: Despite the aggressive appearance the guitar is basically a super strat with an asymmetric flying v body. So, the humbucker equipped stratocaster tones are the ones that you'll get! I play mainly classic rock and metal, and the SD JB/Jazz combo is pretty much the ideal choice for me. I always prefer the vintage kind of output when choosing PUs, and this guitar has my favourite set pre-assembled! When playing without distortion it is obvious that you are playing a humbucker loaded guitar, but at least I that's what I prefer! The master volume pot as well as the two tone pots work nicely enough through all various settings. You can roll off the volume and still get usable sounds! Alder as body wood could seem a bit dull choice as, but then again, it has been the industry standard from 1950's. You can't go too wrong with it. The Jackson RR3 sounds just what an alder bodied electric guitar should. The tone of my guitar is articulated and clear without being trebly in an unpleasant way. I don't believe that the thin maple veneer does anything much for the sound. In theory it might have some kind of effect on the tone, but I don't have any willingness to tear it off just to hear the difference! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Originally my guitar had a 009-042 set of string. I immediately replaced them with a tad thicker set, which forced me to make a thorough set-up work with the truss rod and the bridge. After that it has worked like a charm. I have set the action pretty low, but there aren't any unwanted rattles to be heard. The playability is great, there are no dead spots on the fingerboard and the bends won't chocke. The guitar has the iconic Randy Rhoads shape. I think that you can compare it with a sports car: although it is no way as cosy or convenient as a regular one, as a bargain you'll get stunning looks and some superior qualities in the performance department! The guitar is overly beautiful and the upper fretboard reach is awesome, at least to me. It is not that pleasant guitar to play while sitting, but I pretty much don't care. The guitar is not heavy at all, so you won't have back problems because of it. One thing that I don't like so much is the location of the strap button near the neck plate. The logical place for it would be in the center of the neck plate, but for some reason (cost-effectiveness?) it has been placed to the wood, on the bridge side of one corner of the neck plate. I believe that this is the essential reason for the slight neck heavyness that this guitar have. If the original design of the RR guitar featured a functional location for the strap button, why someone went and moved it to this awkward place? However, this is the only single thing that I don't like about this guitar. In some future I might go and try to fix this issue. The maple top under the transparent paint is just a pleasure to look. It has a very nice flamey pattern going on there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems well crafted and all the parts seem to work as designed. If you should want to have an undestroyable guitar, then you perhaps shouldn't have one with sharp wings! I'm afraid to say that it would be very easy to damage the sharp edges of the body by bumping it to various things. I've seen many RR styled guitars that have dents and chips on the body. I've been trying to be cautious with my guitar not to have those. On the other hand, this issue should be considered as a feature of this design, not a flaw. // 7

Overall Impression: The guitar is of a good quality for the price. The workmanship here has all the good features that you should expect from a mid-priced Japanese guitar and even more. All the various parts seem very solid and functional. Compared to the more expensive Jackson RR models the RR3 has a bolt-on neck and 22 rather than 24 frets. To me this is a brilliant deal as I prefer bolt-on necks over other types, and don't need that many frets anyways. The RR body design is one of the coolest around, and I've always wanted to own one! // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014