RR5 Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 12/01/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: RR5 Rhoads
It features a neck-thru-body construction, a pair of Seymour Duncan TB4 humbuckers, Tune-O-Matic bridge with strings thru body, sharkfin inlays, and gold hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.4
 Features: 9.2
reviews (5) 61 comments vote for this gear:
RR5 Rhoads Reviewed by: OutofTune, on january 30, 2006

Features: Made in 2005, Japan. it has 22 jumbo frets with sharkfin inlays. Alder body with maple neck, and Rosewood fretboard. it has the ivory paint with black pinstripes and gold hardware. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a string thru body. 2 volume, 1 tone and 3-way switching. Duncan designed humbuckers. // 10

Sound: Fits my style perfect, a mix of Metal/Rock/and even some blues, from everything from Killswitch Engage to Metallica to Black Label Society. I run it through either a small Kustom amp, or a Peavey. Since my Kustom has an overdrive button, I mostly use that, but on my Peavey is use my Wydle Overdrive pedal (Zakk Wylde). Great variety of sound, can go from crunchy rhythms to screaming solos like nothing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great finish with the pinstripes. The only thing I was curious about was the guitar was white w/black pinstripes but the headstock was black, but I really dont care. And I had to tighting one of the screws on the pickgaurd but overall no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only problem this guitar would have playing live is the long wing is long, and if your used to a Strat or something that doesnt stick out a little, could easily get banged up against an amp or something. Hardware seems like it'll last a long time, I dont play live, but I play often and its held up great. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing a little over a year, I also own a Fender Stratocaster (Mex), Ibanez RG220, Kustom Amp, 2 Peaveys (a small one, and a tube amp 4X12"speakers), Wylde Overdrive, Monster Cables. If it were stolen id be pissed as hell, id buy a new one. It's awesome, the finish, the versatility, the look, the way it plays. The only thing I have against it its made in Japan. The finish is probably my favorite feature. I spent a day at Sam Ash playing everything from Epiphones, Jacksons, acoustics, Ibanezs, and a couple used Gibsons Les Pauls. // 10

RR5 Rhoads Reviewed by: xkingd117x, on january 14, 2009

Features: This RR5 was made in '05 or '06, MIJ, 25.5" Scale with 22 frets. Has a Rosewood compound-radius fretboard with the ever-classy Sharkfin inlays, Alder body with a Maple neck and neck-thru contruction. Of course, 2 humbuckers, both Seymour-Duncan TB4s. Mine is the ivory finish, with the black pinstripes and gold hardware. 2 master volume controls, and a master tone. A really, really sharp looking guitar, looks like it costs a lot more than what it is. Although 720 isn't chump change, and should include at least a whammy.. which is my only complaint about the features. // 9

Sound: My personal style is tough to accomodate with a single guitar - I listen to anything from Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, AC/DC, to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, and, surprise, Ozzy Osbourne's work with Randy Rhoads himself. Mostly rock and classic rock, although a little metal never Hurt anyone. This guitar suits most of my heavier needs easily. And hard rock tone, from insane distortion to lighter overdrive, this guitar has covered in style. I play through a Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket when playing heavier, and an Orange Tiny Terror when playing Vintage, and this guitar can handle both, although it is much more suited for metal. I would personally never, ever get rid of this guitar, as I've played Gibsons, ESPs, PRSs, High-end fenders, Schecters, and anything else under the sun, and not found a better metal tone for my style. If I want to shred some Dethklok, this guitar can do it, if I just want a little Zeppelin, roll back the volume a bit, and this thing has got it covered. it's got a very strong bite to the sound, it just hits you in the chest, but not in the eardrum-shattering-in-pain kind of way. Even though the two humbuckers are the same, you can achieve a wide variety of tones, by mixing up the volume controls, the master tone, and raising/lowering the pickups a bit. Don't expect a lot of crystal clean sounds out of this - that's what a Stratocaster is for. This guitar is made for rock and metal, and it does it's job perfectly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used at guitar center, but have had no problems so far. I've messed with the pickup height to suit my style, but otherwise, the action and intonation has been fine since I brought it home a year ago. As I stated in the features, the neck on this guitar is incredibly thin - and the action is very low. Perfect for some extremely fast playing, and since it also has a compound radius fretboard, you'll find yourself playing with much more comfort than an average guitar. No flaws with the finish or anything else for that matter so far. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this guitar in Live playing, but with the way I practice sometime, it's amazing how it's held up. I've done the Cardinal Sin of V-guitars, and bumped the corner a couple times, yet, incredibly... no damage. Thank God. The hardware is all solid, and the strap buttons are placed surprisingly well, weight is distributed great. I wouldn't ever gig without a backup, but if I had to, I would be very confident of the guitar - it's the strings I'd worry about. The finish is solid, no problems here. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've said, this guitar is a perfect fit for any rock or metal playing. I have been playing for a little over 3 years, and this guitar has been with me for about half that time. I also have a Gibson SG Faded, which seems to fit my cleaner stuff a little better, especially coupled with the Orange, but the Jackson RR5 is the pride and joy of my collection, and my most treasured possession I own. If it were stolen.. I'd be in prison in short order. There is not a better instrument for great metal/rock tone, period, at least under 2000 dollars. And not a instrument in the world that looks better. ..if only it had a whammy. Best instrument I've played in my short musical career, but one I will never part with, if you find one under a grand, buy it immediately. // 10

RR5 Rhoads Reviewed by: Ali-b912, on september 29, 2008

Purchased from: Manny's Music NYC

Features: Mr RR5 is an 06' model (I assume, can't find a guide to date it) and Made in Japan. It's got 22 Jumbo Frets, 25.5" scale, Rosewood fretboard, Neckthrough. The body is made of alder, and is painted a cream/ivory color, with black pinstripes. The hardware is gold, the bridge is a string thru with a Jackson tune-o-matic. It has 2 Seymour Duncan JB SH4 pickups, with 2 volume controls, 1 tone control and a 3 way selector Switch. the tuners are non locking and no idea what brand, Jackson stock I presume. // 9

Sound: I play mostly thrash metal like metallica/iron maiden, although I play classic rock and blues occaisionally. it works very well for metal, and also great for rock. when playing blues, I find the neck pickup on clean to sound really good, and it does heavy blues well when I turn the distortion down a little. I use a Fender Frontman 15G amp, and it even sounds good through that. the guitar has had shredding done on it and sounds great, and pinch harmonics work very well on it. I'm sure it could play jazz with ease if I tried. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I tried it at the shop it seemed in very good condition. when I got it home, I realised the tip of the headstock, and the upper horn had both been repainted and coated. it is barely noticeable so I don't particularly mind. the hardware is somewhat oxidized, but I believe it had been a floor model since it was shipped, and It doesnt't bother me as I can clean it. The setup seems fine, but I'm going to have it redone to make sure. the pickups seem slightly higher then they should be, and the control plate is a bit loose. these are all things I can fix though and I am happy with the finish // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this thing can stand up to Live playing pretty well. the paint is relatively thin, and may chip easily, not to mention the giant spikes being damaged. the finish seems tough, and doesnt't have any dents. the strap buttons are relatively large, but the one on the tailfin comes a bit loose sometimes, and I plan on replacing them with straplocks. I would depend on this guitar to get me through a gig without breaking, but I always like to keep a backup regardless. // 8

Overall Impression: as mentioned already, it matches my choice of metal very well. I've been playing for 4 years, and I own an Ibanez SA series guitar, a Fender frontman 15 amp, and an acoustic and bass. it easily outsounds my Ibanez for Metal and Rock, although I prefer the neck setting on my Ibanez for Heavy Blues. I asked about the low price in comparison to another RR5 on display (for $1199) and both guys I asked seemed to have no idea about it's lower price. I'm assuming it was the chipped fins. If it were stolen, I'd probably look for something new to explore. I love the sound and shape of this guitar, it stands out with how it looks and sounds great doing it. I compared it to several other guitars including a Green ESP Eclipse Custom, an ESP LTD EX 400 and 260, an Ibanez AC of some sort, and a red Schecter C1 or something (had dual EMG's with coil taps on both). the Schecter was the only one to compete in sound, and I preferred the ease of passive pickups on the RR5. I wish it had locking tuners, straplocks, a tonepros bridge, and gold frets, but those are just unneccesary extra's really. // 10

RR5 Rhoads Reviewed by: alexdanson1, on august 12, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in Japan, this guitar is well built, as the Jackson Japanese factory is second only to the American one. It has 22 frets, which is enough for nearly all songs, and every one is easily accessible due to the shape of the guitar. It is a Maple neck thru body construction with a maple top which gives a good tone and has a shiny black finish (mine is the black and gold one). This has its downsides since fingerprints show on the guitar. It is obviously a Flying V construction, and can be played sat down or stood up, sitting down, due to the shorter lower wing, this one can slot between your legs and it plays sort of like a classical guitar. Comes with Seymour Duncan pickups, 3-way selector, 2 volume knobs, 1 tone. Tuners are fine. Mine also came with a Jackson hardcase, moulded to fit inside, most should due to the price of the guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my music style very well, I play mostly metal, enjoy shredding, but also a bit of blues etc. This guitar covers all, and sounds meaty on a high distortion setting, but also bright and has a decent amount of top end on clean also. I use a Marshall AVT-150 head and cab, this guitar sounds great through that for what i use it for. It is not normally noisy, and you can use the pickup selector as a killswitch is you turn down one of the pickups to cut out string ring between songs. Great variety of styles available with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As stated above, I bought this guitar off ebay, second-hand. I therefore had to do quite a bit to it. Pickup height, change of strings, a good polishing and a tightening of the jack nut. Other than that the action was fine and was in great condition once I'd finished sorting it, no lasting damage. There were a few chips in the paint at the tips of the wings, I assume that this easily occurs due to the length of the upper wing, and would be a common issue. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definately withstands live playing, as I have used it at many gigs, the haardware was fine when I recieved it and is still standing now, a year on. I have gigged with it without a back up, when I could not fit the other in the car and it was fine, though I feel more comfortable bringing a spare, just for safety. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a great match for what I play and gives a great look on stage, draws the attention of the crowd, and adds to the performance instantly. I have been playing about 4 years, and I play a lot, this guitar has served me well in the intense year that I've had it. I don't regret buying this in the slightest and would buy another if it were stolen. I compared it to many similar priced guitars on the metal market and was considering the rr24 and some ESP equivelents, I then saw the price of this guitar on ebay and couldnt let it go. I am glad however that I ended up with this, and would do the same again. // 10

RR5 Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: You can just find this information at jacksonguitars.com. The finish I got it in is the ivory w/ black pinstripes. And for some reason I can't submit this without "filling out features" so its got 22 frets, maple neck, rosewood finger board, 25.5" scale, Seymour Duncan Pickups, neckthrough construction, TOM bridge, passive electronics, blah blah blah. // 9

Sound: I play mainly death metal and this guitar fits that OK at best. Sine its not top of the line its obviously not the greatest. I've tested this guitar with some blues and jazz and it works just fine with that too. I just my Line 6 120 watt and they sound good together. The neck pick up has a nice warm sound and I can get a nice crunchiness out of the bridge, which is good for brutal playing. When both volume knobs are turned all the way down, there is a nasty buzz unless you ground the guitar by touching anything metal on it. And with only one volume knob turned down all the way you can still hear what you play through the amp. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok, this is where this guitar amounts to absolute crap. I've owned it for 3 years, and the pick guard is almost completely faded. The bridge piece is actually deteriorating, obviously not a good thing. Factory action was a little high, but managable. Pickups came fine, I haven't adjusted them at all. The wiring is good I haven't had any problems with it yet. The tone knob kept falling off so eventually I took it off for good. The input for the amp cord is extremely loose, it fell into the guitar one time. And the paint. O. M. F. G. The paint. The paint is like really crappy plastic. It cracks EXTREMELY EASILY, it dings easily, it scratches easily, its just over all really really low quality paint. The pinstripes are also very cosmetically flawed because they aren't completely straight, they are very ragged and not good. This really isnt that great. // 1

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, like most I'm sure, can withstand Live playing. It cannot withstand constant playing for shit, however. Like I said before, everything gets worn down so easily its not even funny. The hardware definitely will not last. I can depend on this guitar, but gigging without a backup is just completely and utterly insane. Like i said before, the finish is absolutely and utterly crappy. And lol, yes the strap buttons are solid. // 6

Overall Impression: I play metal for the most part and this guitar is decent for that. I've been playing for 5 years and unfortunately this is my best guitar. I can't afford anything and neither can my family so I'm stuck with this guitar for a while >:[. I wished I asked for an ESP Horizon FR-2 before I bought this product, lol. If this guitar was stolen, obviously I would be really, really pissed, but I wouldn't buy this guitar again. I don't really have any favorite features, I even had to replace the tuning machines so the stock ones definitely aren't awesome at all. I wish it was a different guitar. ESP's are definitely the nicest guitars for metal I've ever played. My friend owns and ESP-LTD bass, and the paint job on that one is intensely sick, its thick and durable as all hell, it could withstand an icestorm. I would not recommend this guitar. Buy an LTD. The highest quality LTD's definitley match if not surpass this Jackson, and some even surpass the USA made Jacksons. // 2

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 4.9 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014