RX10D Rhoads Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 10/20/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: RX10D Rhoads
Basswood body (with flame maple veneer on trans finishes), bolt-on maple neck, compound radius rosewood fingerboard, Duncan Designed humbucking pickups, Jackson double-locking tremolo and chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Features: 8.6
 8.9
 8.8
 8.9
reviews (5) 56 comments vote for this gear:
RX10D Rhoads Reviewed by: chimairakid, on february 16, 2007

Features: This is a 2006 Jackson X Series Rhandy Rhoads model guitar. It's got 22 jumbo frets and a super smooth neck, which is nice and thin for players with small hands such as myself. Mine is in black, but the guitar comes in a range of graphic finishes too, though at an extra price. It has Duncan Designed pickups which are powerfull and have a good amount of tone. It comes only with a 3-way selector for the pickups and a volume control and has a floyd rose trem with locking nut. // 9

Sound: The guitar is mostly aimed at metal/rock players such as myself and when dropped down low, it sounds amazing. However through the neck pickup you still get an awesome tone for bluesy playing too. The floyd rose allows the full range of whammy bar tricks and doesn't suffer the problem many jacksons do of tuning down 1/2 a step when you divebomb. It has a great powerfull tone when used through a good distortion pedal such as a Boss metalzone or a Line 6 uber metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is extremely well set up from the factory though I had to reset it because I tuned down to drop C. I like my action super low and I barely had to touch it 'cause it was already so low. The guitar is well made and I've not found any flaws with the construction of it so far, and especially for the money I paid, I am really satisfied with the build (I got mine at a really reduced price). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons on this guitar must have been cemented n as my guitar has never come off. the hardware is of good quality and I'm sure it will last. The finish is thick paint and is very difficult to scratch. I personally haven't ever gigged the guitar, but I let my friend use it Live and he said it was fine, the tuning locks helping to avoid awkward retuning between songs. However I would never use a guitar with a floyd rose Live without backup, just because the bridge system would mean you are screwed if a string snaps. This applies to any guitar with a floyd rose so it's not a flaw with this guitar // 10

Overall Impression: I play predominantly metal and tend to stick to my Ibanez for blues as the floyd rose makes it awkward to change from my normal drop C to Standard tuning. However if you tend to play always in the same tuning the floyd is a godsend for the tuning locks. If it were lost/stolen, I'd consider buying another one, but since I've just been ordered an RR1 for my 18th birthday I may not bother. Conversely if I didn't have an RR1 coming then I would definately replace it, it's exactly the same build quality as an RR3 but at a much lower price. I love the action and the light weight of the product and I think that overall it far beats my Ibanez destroyer for playability. There are no features I wish this guitar had though I am considering replacing the pickups as I'm building a guitar from scratch and could use the Duncans which are in it for my handmade one. // 9

RX10D Rhoads Reviewed by: deadlyMETAL, on april 25, 2007

Purchased from: Mid-Michigan Music Center

Features: This guitar practically IS a feature all its own. The crimson-swirl finish is the easily most noticable feature, followed closely by the Duncan Design pickups. This is a 2006 model, but I was lucky enough to find it at Mid-Mich Music. I have yet to receive the special-order hard case, so I don't know about that unfortunately. It does, however, have the massive benefits of a double-locking Jackson bridge system and 22 frets. Has a 3-way Switch w/ passive pickups, and master volume knob, giving you just what you need to pick up and play. // 9

Sound: This guitar is directly strictly to metal and shred fans. The pickups do a great job with transfer the sound with minimal noise, and gives assertive tone whether on clean channel w/ both pickups or on distortion on the bridge pickup. The sound is surprisingly well rounded on clean channel despite the metal look to it(Think like Seven Mary Three's acoustic version of Cumbersome). It's very good for both clean-channel playing, as well as the metal and shred you grew up with. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups and action upon first receiving it from the store were just where they needed to be. With this system, however, watch if your action is too low, since the one I have seems to hint toward needing adjustments in a month or so. The model I got didn't contain any flaws that I found aside from the audio cable input slot needing to be screwed back tightly to the body. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Durability didn't seem to be a big thing driving this guitar's sales, but it turns out (after constant use for a while) that it is stable like most guitars. Just playing it for, say, a couple weeks gives you the feeling like it will last, if taken care of. If you took it on stage and thrashed it around trying to break it, you wouldn't have a hard time. The large point looks as though it would break easily if it were smashed onstage or run over with a car, but just playing it wouldn't bring you any worries. This guitar's finish will hold up, but don't hit it on anything, I made that mistake the night I got it and it chipped right on the large point. If you take it onstage without a replacement backstage, don't go hitting it on the floor or the amps! // 9

Overall Impression: An axe like this exists to be played Live, although I am not able to do so at this time, and plays even better than it sounds. It is durable, but the moment you get reckless with it you'll probably end up paying to get the spike replaced. The spike and the possibility of low action upon delivery from the manufacturer to the dealer to the player are the only things you need to worry about. Want something that can play like it looks? You've got it. Want one that's not so ridiculously expensive, but has top of the line hardware? Right again. Need something that isn't a hollow-body, but can give deliver a shimmering warm tone? Check. For the metalhead that needs to shred, this axe is what you're looking for. // 10

RX10D Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2009

Purchased from: Masmusika Quito

Features: My guitar is Japanese made with 22 jumbo frets that are really easy to play. It has Shark teeth inlays that makes this guitar really good-looking with a bad ass look. Mine is black but you can find it in other cool colors. It has Duncan Designed pickups that have a great sound in riffs and solos. The Floyd Rose of this guitar is a licenced one, I can dive or do the Laiho's harmonics playing with the tremolo and it doesn't get out of tune. // 10

Sound: The bridge pickup sounds amazing with a very heavy crunchy tone. The neck pickup gives a very smooth sound that is really awesome for soloing like Malmsteen. Mostly I play metal like COB, Metallica, Megadeth, and suff like that so it gives the appropriate sound for this genres. I use it through a MT-2 in a Fender Twin Reverb and in a London Reverb. It sounds with a very powerful and heavy sound. I use it with lots of mids and I like a lot this sound because it sounds like COB's sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has been very well set from the factory so it didn't gave any problem. It has been calibrated since I've bought it so I didn't have to do any other adjustment. The shit that this guitar gave me was that the volume knob got loose but it wasn't a serious problem because with a screwdriver I've adjusted the screw so it stays tight and doesn't get loose again. Forgetting that little thing, it is the perfect guitar (price and quality) for an intermediate guitar player that buys his second or third guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has an everlasting quality because nothing seems to break or get rust, everything looks and feels very strong, hard to break. The strap buttons are like fused with the wood because both haven't moved or got loose. Definitely I am sure I can use it on a gig without backup because no matter how many times I dive or play with the tremolo, it stays in tune and the strings doesn't break (I use Dean Markley's YJM signature strings .008 gauge). // 10

Overall Impression: I use this guitar for Metal mostly COB and my own band's songs so it matches perfectly. I play since I was 10 so I know where I'm into so I knew which was the best option for buying but looking in my wallet and testing every guitar that I wished. The first thing that I've asked in the store was ''do you have the RR24?'' Unfortunately they didn't have it so I chose the more similar one. Other option was the LTD Alexi-200 but decided this one instead. It was an excellent decision. If it were stolen and I have only 500 bucks I definetly buy it again but if I had like 1000 bucks I will go for the LTD Alexi-600 Sawtooth or the RR24. // 10

RX10D Rhoads Reviewed by: Moejoe 989, on january 14, 2010

Price paid: C$ 350

Features: I recently purchased a used, Japanese made RX10D Randy Rhoads 'Shark fin' guitar. It has 22 jumbo frets, with a very thin streamlined maple neck. The body is well-balanced, lightweight and solidly constructed of basswood and is finished in 'Transparent Red'. The body style is not a typical flying-V shape, but more of a 'sharks fin' in that the uppermost fin is noticeably longer than the bottom. The input jack is located on the butt end of the guitar on the bottom fin and is well placed. The bridge is a 'Jackson' stamped Floyd Rose type configuration with black and chrome hardware. The chrome master tone/volume switch is conveniently located to allow the player quick and easy access, thus volume swells or quick changes in tone are easily attainable. The 'Seymour Duncan' passive designed humbucker pick-ups are finished in black and provide a great sound to compliment the looks of this guitar. When played through various amps such as: 50 Marshall MGDF, Traynor 65 R, Fender 15G, and a Vox amplifier with and without the use of distortion pedals, the guitar plays very well. The pickups provide a very bluesey singing sustain that would be pleasing to most ears. Having just played the guitar on the Traynor amp with about 40% gain and 40% volume and the EQ set to 12 o'clock and then comparing it to a single coil Fender and a dual humbucker Epiphone SG with Gibson burstbucker pro pickups the Seymour Duncans were more 'Heavy' sounding. While the high notes were very consistent and able to cut through the mix, they didn't sound as sweet as the Gibsons. But the guitars are two very differant instruments so that's another story. I personally found the pick-ups to be a little on the 'bassy' side when compared to the other guitars. I rolled off the bass and middle and it was still a little muddy. Overall, I think the pickups are a great set for this guitar and although a little muddy at times, they still provide a great dirty sound that can clean up nicely when the tone is turned down. The selector switch is the standard 3-way configuration. (Bridge, Bridge-and-Neck, and Neck) The tuners are locking and are stable enough to withstand some whammy use and the occasional dive-bomb without any cause for concern. The fretboard appears to be rosewood and is dressed with 'Shark Fin' inlays. Very attractive looking and easily one of the most noticable things about the neck/fretboard area. Its a very playable fretboard/neck. It is a thin C-shaped neck with a great action that allows for lightening fast shredding. Perhaps a maple neck would be more suitable though and would provide a greater tone. // 8

Sound: I play Classic rock (Led Zepplin, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Lynard Skynard, AC/DC), Old School Metal ( Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, ) New Metal/Thrash (Pantera, Antrax, Slayer, Metallica) Blues riffs, and a little acoustic (Green Day, Taylor Swift) Visually it suits my style of playing very well, Metal Up Your Ass. As for sonically, the guitar preforms well with only minor adjustments needed to the tone or amplifier controls to get the desired sound. Appregiated chords sound very crisp and clean but chords sometimes suffer from the pickups 'muddieness'. The guitar is played through a varity of amps and effects such as: Fender Frontman 15G, Fender G-DEC amp (with included onboard effects) and a Traynor DG 65R. Effects range from: Boss PH3 Phase Shift, Boss F3 Flange, Boss ME-50 Multi effects pedal, DigiTech DF7 Distortion Factory, DigiTech EX7 Expression Factory, Original Crybaby Wah-Wah, Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah. Also, the latest version of GarageBand is used to record various riffs. Overall, the guitar sounds great to my ears as well as a few other guitar players. We prefer to play mostly metal, or hardrock, so the guitar is very well suited to that playing style. The guitar doesn't suffer from the usual hiss that its single coil brother does, although a noise gate wouldn't be a bad idea if a distortion pedal is hooked up in front of this beast. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was purchased used. The original sticker is still on the back. The original price was $729.00 Canadian, but I paid $350.00 Can WITH a hardshell rectangle case. The fit and finish were flawless for a used guitar with the only noticable scratches being hairline scratches on the back of the guitar from the strap rubbing across it. I had an issue with the locking tuners and fine tuners as they were a bit oxidized and one of the screws for the locking nut is a tighter fit than the other two for the allen key. The nut at the opening of the input jack also needs to be tightend as well but that occurs on almost any guitar after some use. The tuning pegs and the saddle and bridge are very well constructed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would most definitly withstand playing live. One show? Yes. Ten Shows? Absoultly! I'm sure after years of abuse it would take its toll on the instrument, but nothing too serious. While its a lightweight guitar, its very well constructed. The strap buttons hold on to my strap perfectly and the finish seems permantant. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 6 years and own all the gear mentioned above and this guitar is one that immeditly draws attention because of its looks then it keeps it there when you hear it. It is a wonderful investment and I think it was well worth my money. As I said before playing hard rock, classic rock, and metal both new and old, this guitar does the job in my opinion. I bought this guitar because I thought "Why pay almost $830 for this guitar when I can pay only 350 AND get a new hardshell case" and there are NO regrets. I think this guitar has EVERYTHING I was looking for. I strive to have a differant guitar with every new one that comes into my possesion, whether its is Floyd Rose equipped, bigsby tailpiece, non-tremolo, or hollowbody. This guitar certainly IS differant. I love the fact that its so ME. Its so Metal. I think it looks as beautiful as it plays and sounds as good as it looks. I hate the the 'Fin' is so pointy you could stab a person with it (maybe that's why I love it? ) and that some of the hardware was a little oxidized and the fact the Floyd Rose bridges are a little more troublesome to replace strings than a standard bridge. I love everything else about it. If it were lost or stolen... I would replace it in a heartbeat provided I had the money to spend to replace it. I compared this guitar to Gibson Flying V's that were at the store and the quailty was just as good as the Gibson for a lot less cash. Thanks for reading this review and hopefully it helps. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to comment or msg me. Keep on Rockin' =) // 10

RX10D Rhoads Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2010

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Pro-musica, Cork Ireland

Features: This guitar is simple but very effective in a way, It has a single know which controls volume(no tone knob which was a little let down) has 22 frets which is good for lead, and the low action that this guitar can get to is really something, its great for solos and lead, it also has a registered Floyd Rose and locking nut. // 7

Sound: The sound when I first used this guitar was fairly good for a cheap guitar, and with distortion is sounded amazing, the bottom pickup which is designed of duncans, really bring out some really good tones and a sweet distored sound, the top pickup sounds amazinging when playing leads and solos, I had this guitar over 2 years now and I still use it today, but a few things did go wrong with it along the way, which I will note the the reliablity and durability section. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action this guitar can get to again is great, a little string buzz but nothing that you would have trouble with, the finish however, I bought the black finish, it looked great and very metal! But got damaged very easyly, a small bump and it wud be effected. // 8

Reliability & Durability: at first this guitar was pretty good for the money, but, you get what you pay for does come into the situation here, after a few months of having this guita with out any problems, I got hold of a whamey bar(which I didn't get with the guitar) and using it was not very good, it didn't keep in tune very well when I used it, waether it was down to the floyd rose, or the locking bridge, is anyones guess, but I didn't used it after that, as with most Floyd Rose guitars, they are tricky to tune, but this was really difficult to do,.. A few weeks ago I noticed the pickups starting acting up, they wouldn't pick up the sound very well, and you would only hear a sound for about 2 seconds, I eventually fixed this just by opening up the back and giving everything a clean, then the 9th fret got VERY buzzy!, I never recalled dropping the guitar which could have caused it, and I stil have that buzz. // 5

Overall Impression: If ur into metal, and want a cheap reliable guitar, this is a good buy, but just keep good care of it and it should last longer until you decide to move up to maybe a more expencive Jackson, or personally I'd recommend an E.S.P. this guitar over all is pretty great and I would recommend buying it if ur just starting off on ur way to becoming a serious guitar player. // 6

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR24XT Rhoads 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014