Scott Ian T-1000 Soloist 2H Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 06/21/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: Scott Ian T-1000 Soloist 2H
The guitar is slightly bigger and heavier than a typical Soloist. The tone is unlike anything I've heard and it is a dream to play.
 8.9
 9.4
 8.4
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Scott Ian T-1000 Soloist 2H Reviewed by: razorsedge2188, on june 21, 2012

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: Guitar Center Special Order

Features: Made in USA! - Body: Mahogany with 1/8" plain maple top - Body Shape: Soloist - Color: Silverburst - Number of Frets: 24 - Fret Size: Jumbo Frets - Position Inlays: Shepard Fairey designed High Boltage inlays - Fretboard: Ebony - Neck Through Design - Neck Material: Maple - Neck Finish: Oiled - Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm) - Bridge: Original Floyd Rose - Pickups: H/H - Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan JB TB4 Humbucking Bridge Pickup - Direct Mount - Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucking Pickup - Controls: Master Volume, 3-Position Toggle - Comes with custom G&G case, Schaller Strap Locks. // 10

Sound: The Seymour Duncan pickups sound great. The guitar is slightly bigger and heavier than a typical Soloist. The tone you get from it is unlike anything I've heard before. I play metal, hard rock, instrumental rock, and classical. My rig consists of a Line 6 Pod XT Live, Alesis MEQ230, BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer, Samson Servo 300 Power amp, and a Marshall 1960B 4x12 Cab. The Seymour Duncan JB TB4 bridge pick up sounds great with distortion and suits metal and hard rock very well. The clean tones could use improvement, a little too sharp for my taste. However, The Seymour Duncan '59 makes up for this. The clean tones on this pickup sound incredible. Words don't do it justice. And the soloing on this pickup blows me away. Very crisp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory this guitar was set up nearly perfect. Action is very low but no buzz or noise from what I can tell. The bridge pick up was perfect but the neck pickup was a little too low for my taste and required a little adjusting. The finish is immaculate. No flaws and looks great. No flaws on the neck, its binding or on the fret board. Its customary on USA Jacksons that the allen keys for the Floyd Rose bridge to be screwed to the back of the headstock. They weren't on this guitar, but they sent the mounting bracket and the screw so you can put it on yourself which I thought was inconvenient. The one thing that I didn't care for was the integration of the Floyd Rose Bridge. I didn't realize it before buying but it isn't recessed so you can't pull up on it and make the guitar scream. It acts more like a dive bomb bridge. You can adjust it a bit to get a little more play but honestly I don't think I would. Its one of those things that make the guitar unique from my others and its quickly growing on me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just got the guitar so I can't be 100% confident in its durability yet but based on the quality of the construction and my experience with other USA made Jacksons, I would think that this guitar could withstand almost any form a abuse. The hardware seems very durable and of some of the highest quality I've ever owned. The cable jack grips the cable so much that I struggle to unplug the guitar. I love that. I want to give it the highest rating but I simply don't know how well its going to hold up. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I would highly recommend picking one up or at least play it for a bit if you get the chance. It was between this guitar or a Jackson USA SL2H Soloist. I chose the Scott Ian Signature because of the Silverbusrt finish, the inlays, and the controls. My absolute favorite feature is the finish. I love the Silverburst body and matching headstock. The tone is unlike anything I've heard and it is a dream to play. More suited for metal, hard rock, or anything with heavy distortion. But having that Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup makes this a fairly versatile guitar. The lack of a recessed Floyd Rose disappointed me at first but I am growing to like it and it is forcing me to change my playing technique to properly utilize it. // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR3 Rhoads 8.9 Electric Guitars 12/12/2014