SL2H Soloist Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 09/21/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: SL2H Soloist
Alder body, quartersawn eastern hard rock maple neck (through body), compound radius ebony fingerboard, Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups, Floyd Rose Original tremolo and black hardware.
 9.2
 8.4
reviews (2) pictures (5) 61 comments vote for this gear:
SL2H Soloist Reviewed by: the_addict, on december 14, 2007

Features: I own a 1985 solid Ferrari Red SL2H Soloist that was made in the USA. The neck is made out of quarter-sawn maple and is neck-thru with alder wings. It has original Jackson tuners, Kahler locknut, original Kalher bridge, passive electronics, original Jackson J-50C pickups in the neck and bridge. Has 1 volume and 1 tone control, 3-way pickup Switch. It also has MOP sharkfin inlay and binding on the neck and headstock. The binding goes over the fret ends. Came with a beat-up guitar case, but it suits the character of the guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar is amazing. The sound that the pickups deliver is pure and clean. I play rock/metal and I use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone with a Kustom 100w 2X12 combo amp with Monster 24k gold plated guitar cords. The guitar itself is quiet. No noise at all. It's great to jam out with a drumset and bass. The sound cuts through the mix, even on the neck pickup! But doesn't over power the other instruments. The bridge pickup is very bright and has good attack. The neck pickup is also bright with good attack and sings when doing solos and leads. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I am not the original owner of this guitar I cannot accurately tell you how well the guitar came out of the factory. But this is an excellent handmade guitar! The finish has a lot of nicks in it especially from belt-buckling. There are cracks in the paint on the back of the neck from stress over the years but they do not go through the wood. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a professional guitar. The electronics in it are all original and still work perfectly! The hardware and electronics are excellent and could withstand many more years over playing. Whether it be at home, in the studio or playing live, this guitar will not falter. The finish is still on there after all these years and I don't think it's going to come off that easily. I accidentally hit a doorknob with it and the paint didn't come off or crack. All that's left is a black residue that I have purposely left there for storytelling. I don't need a backup guitar for this creation. If anything, I would use it has a backup to any other guitar I would own. // 10

Overall Impression: With my style of playing this guitar is perfect. Then again, you could playing any style of music on this guitar. It's always ante upped other guitars that I've played. I only have 3 years of guitar playing under my belt but I know what a real guitar is when lands in my hands. This is the top-of-the-line guitar and nothing can play better than it. There are, however, guitars that play as well as this guitar but for the price, you can't beat it. I got uber lucky getting this at a pawn shop. // 10

SL2H Soloist Reviewed by: Mceiner, on september 21, 2011

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: CMC Guitars

Features: In my opinion, there ain't a guitar more metal than the SL2H. I bought it in 2011 by a shop named CMC Guitars - GREAT place by the way! The SL2H is an American made guitar. It features 24 jumbo frets, passive Duncans, original floyd rose, thin neck as well as neck-thru construction. The guitar comes in alot of cool finish's. I bought it in black, and the finish of it looks really good! I haven't found a flaw yet. The fretboard is great looking too. No major mistakes such as loose screws or anything. It also came in a deluxe Jackson case. // 10

Sound: As you might have guessed, I play metal. More specificly; Thrash/heavy metal such as Slayer, Sepultura, Soulfly, Gojira and such. The guitar is made of Alder and it has a Seymour Duncan JB TB4 in the bridge and a '59 SH1N in the neck. The guitar delivers great metal sound, as well as great clean sound - not something I use alot, but when I do, it sure sounds great. Which I must admit I kind off expected for such and expensive american guitar. The pickups are actually pretty quit, so noisy pickups haven't been a problem yet. Because it comes with duncan pickups, the guitar can deliver are wide arrey of tones (I think it was primarely made for metal, but I surrely get great tones besides metal tones) so this guitar sound great over all. It also has incredible good sustain (when is is setup right ofcourse). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came setup from factory. It came in E standard tuning, with a perfect "in-balance" floyd rose. My band plays in D standard, so I quickly re-tuned it with different strings, so the factory setup doesn't mean so much to me. No dead notes and ss I wrote before there are no flaws in the paintjob - well, not falws I have found yet. The white binding arount the headstock and neck is also looking perfect. According to my eyes there are no flaws at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't playd live yet, but I am sure it will do great. I haven't experienced any trouble when I rehearsel with my band either. The strap buttons a solid, no balance trouble. You can depend on this guitar, even when you go apeshit. I never go to a gig without a backup, more because of the floyd rose, but I am sure this guitar would do just fine. I haven't had more confidence in a guitar as I have in this one. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great. The best I have ever playd. My other guitar is a ESP LTD JH-600 with a original floyd and S&Key inlays - even though it is a great guitar, my Jackson just completely oversahdows it. I have been playing metal active for about 6 years now, and I'm playing through a Marshall JVM410H, so it can't get more metal - if this guitar were stolen, I would buy it again, any day. I don't think I will find a guitar that is better, unless I switch genre, and that is not going to happen anytime soon. The best metal guitar ever. If you consider buying it, my advice would be; go and buy it - you won't regret it! // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014