SL3 Soloist Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 09/19/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: SL3 Soloist
Features include an alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with jumbo frets and sharkfin inlays, double-locking tremolo, chrome hardware, and a beautifully flamed maple top (on transparent finishes only).
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.4
 Features: 9.5
 9.1
 9.3
 8.8
reviews (11) pictures (5) 16 comments vote for this gear:
SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: bryan j, on may 24, 2006

Purchased from: B and B music (tom lee price quote)

Features: This is a 2005 Japanese Jackson SL3 Soloist. 24 frets, set through super thin fast neck, maple neck and top, with alder wings I do believe. It has a flamed maple transparent top, I got the red which is the best looking in my opinion. A Strat style body, floyd rose licensed bridge (be aware this is not the real deal floyd rose) but I dont see how this bridge could be improved. Three Seymour Duncan passive humbuckers (JB in the bridge, hot rails in the neck and middle). Most people think that the hot rails are single coils, according to mainly the musicians friend reviews, they are not single coils. They are humbuckers made to fit in a single coil routed guitar. Locking nut with some standard Jackson tuners, the tuners don't seem too good, but I only use them to change strings, other than that I use the fine tuners on the bridge. I didn't get anything other than the guitar with it. I had to buy I case. // 9

Sound: I'm a shred guy myself and by all means this guitar lives up to its name, it was made to solo. The Duncan HotRail in the neck is the smoothest sounding pickup I think I have ever played with when shredding. This guitar could not have a better solo tone. Rhythm-wise, I was surprised at how nice the JB was in the bridge. When I play quietly I notice a bit of a difference from my SG, but when I turn it up to around 7 or 8, thats when this guitar comes alive. It's a nigth and day difference from when it's quiet. This guitar beats out my SG in every single way. Clean, crunch, and full out metal, this guitar does it all. I use a Fender Stage 1000 amp and a Marshall 412 cab. For effects I run a DigiTech RP50 and a Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby. It has a little buzz, but o well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I set up the poles of the JB in the bridge once I got it, but other than that it was ready to go. The finish is quite nice. There were no factory set up flaws. It was good to go other than the JB needed to be set. As for the action and playability, to put it simply, I challenge anyone to find me a guitar that plays nicer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish could be a little better. Other than that, no complaints here. I have my SG for gigging back up now so I take it anyways and it has Fender's 5 year warranty so you really don't have to worry. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a bit of everything, mainly shred and metal though, and this does everything perfectly. I've been playing for 2 years. This guitar absolutley desstroys my SG in every way possible. I would buy another in a second if this were stolen. My favourite feature is the neck obviously, once again, find me a guitar that plays nicer. I love the bridge, it never snaps strings. I couldn't get this guitar to go out of tune if I tried. I don't like not being able to detune because of the floyd bridge though, but I keep my SG in drop C now anyways. I played this right up against a $3000 handmade american Jackson Soloist, and noticed almost no difference at all. I love this guitar 10/10, if you are even considering a new guitar just go play one of these if you can, absolutely beautiful. // 10

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: seanjtysoe, on july 10, 2012

Purchased from: PMT

Features: This guitar has 24 medium jumbo frets and a rosewood neck.the finish is matt black. The guitars shape is based on the Strat style with a floyd rose licensed tremelo. The pickups are a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and Hot Rails in the mid and neck positions. The guitar came with a Jackson hard case. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style very well. I play many subgenres of metal and this guitar is great for all of them. I use a Marshall MG and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and I can achieve Maiden, Helloween, Megadeth etc. Tones using this equipment. The Hot Rails give a sort of Dave Murray - Yngwie Malmsteen type smooth tone. The bridge is great for rhythm and shred solos like Kirk Hammett. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was not set up before I got it but was in pretty good shape. I have adjusted everything to how I like it since getting the guitar. The only flaws I have experienced with this guitar are in a couple of places the finish is noticeably thinner or poorly applied and that the tone control nob sometimes becomes loose even when I never use it. The action on mine is higher than normal but that's because I like it like that. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing. The hardware will last many years of touring. The strap buttons are solid and have not come loose at all in 5 years of gigging. I have used this guitar for every gig I have done and although I do take a Les Paul just in case I've never needed to use it. The finish will definitely last. In places it has become shiny due to sweat however it has never worn off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar is perfect for all genres of metal and hard rock. This guitar is a large part of the reason I am as good as I am now. Before I was playing on cheap Strat copies that were horrible to play. This neck profile is built for playing fast. If this product were stolen I would call the police and get it back. // 9

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: Dyuha, on october 29, 2004

Features: - Alder body with flame maple veneer on transparent colors - Neck-thru-body rock maple - Die-cast tuner - Rosewood fingerboard - 24 jumbo frets - Bridge pickup - Seymour Duncan JB TB4 humbucker - Middle pickup - Seymour Duncan SHR101 humbucker - Neck pickup - Seymour Duncan SHR101 humbucker - Master volume and master tone controls - JT580 LP double locking 2-point tremolo bridge - Chrome hardware - Sharkfin inlays // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds amazing. It is an amazing guitar with great sustain and awesome construction. Neck-thru construction give it the power to hold notes 'til the cows come home. Two Seymour Duncan single coils and humbucker give it an incredible range of tonal options. The searing leads and rich, heavy tones expected to be produced by this Duncan pickup combination; there lies a pleasant surprise waiting within this wonderful guitar, an amazing clean tone. The hot rails themselves control gain very well as well as provide the power and versatility you come to expect from a guitar named "soloist". Bridge humbucker has excellent definition at full Drive, dual blade hot rails (neck and middle) have clarity needed for rhythm stuff. Also blending yields useful tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is one of the easiest necks to play, and the pickups and body hold clear notes forever, easily as good as other guitars costing much more than it. The only problems are the difficulty in changing the strings and the difficulty in changing tunings. Also, the input jack is a little cheap and should probably be replaced. Controls are smooth, quiet, and solid. No popping, no hissing, and no noise, period. The tremolo stays in tune, the neck-thru-body construction sustains until the cows come home, and the flame-maple top is beautiful with any of the available finishes. The fit and finish is of excellent quality. I only wish there were a black hardware option. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The neck is flawless. Thin neck makes it great for soloing, but playin a ton of power chords kinda wears me out. frets are dressed perfectly, not a single one is even slighty out of whack. Extremely fast and smooth as silk. Action can be set very low with little or no buzzing under normal playing circumstances. This is actually one neck that my fingers refuse to squeak on while quickly moving around the fingerboard. Only problem was the locking nut for the tremolo arm receiver falling off inside the guitar on day one. The finish still looks as nice as it was on the first day It was bought. Strap buttons look solid enough, but I replaced them with the strap lockers. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a finely made guitar with high quiality parts. Neck through really makes it feel and sound great. The pickups scream, and it will last forever. The SL3 has more versatility with the SSH configuration. Doing dives was made very easy and sounded very nice! Sustain was good too. Compared to similar guitars this is just as good as them. // 10

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This is a 2005 model. You can see the details at Musicians Friend. I have been playing a JS100 for the past 4 years and I wanted to try something new. The SL-3 is quite an experience. The action in extremely low without buzzing. It is really great for playing fast. The feel of the neck while playing is incredible, you know you are playing a real quality guitar. I was not used to having 24 frets so it was much easier to play the higher notes but conversely it requires a bigger stretch playing chords down at the nut end of the fretboard. I am used to the Floyd Rose tremolo, what can I say, it works as expected, rarley going out of tune. I have never had a problem tuning my guitar with a floating bridge. I have one gripe with the volume knob. It should have been moved back further as it interferes with my picking hand, but I can learn to adjust. // 10

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal and the EMG's are great for this. I really get a great sound while maintaing a lot of tone. I am playing through a Peavy 212 with a Boss effect processor. The selector Switch allows for some great variation in sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't expect the guitar to be setup precisely to my specification when I recieved it but it was no problem putting on my super slinky's, adjusting the bridge, and changing the pickup height to suit my preferences, and setting the action. The intonation was perfect when I recieved it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Al of the materials seem to be of high quality craftmanship. The strap buttons are solid with a wide flare to securly hold the strap. I would never go to a gig without a backup. There a plastic pieces such as the selctor Switch knob and the humbucker pickup frame. I believe these should have been quality metal parts. // 8

Overall Impression: If it was lost or stolen I believe I would get this guitar again (same color). It is truly a pleasure to play. // 10

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: csquared101, on february 18, 2006

Sound: This guitar is exactly what I wanted. It as all the fetures to express yourself fully and suits my music style perfectly (my music style is a rock/phycedelic rock/alternative. I use it through a Marshall amp and a Metal Zone Boss distortion pedal, CryBaby pedal, MXR 101 Phaser 90, and a MXR 10 Band EQ. The bridge pickup gives a mean ass sound with distortion and a nice clean sound with the neck pickup. You get a very warm sound with the neck and middle pickups selected and the tone all the way down and a harsh, sharp sound with the bridge pickup and the tone all the way up. With the right effects this guitar will give you just about any sound you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfectly set up although I had to ajust the pickups and bridge (since it's a floyd rose) beside that the guitar was absolutly perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: this guitar will definitly last through a live show and the hardware, strap buttons are perfect. I would defenetly not need a backup on a gig. The finish is quite durable although I would have made it a bit thicker. // 9

Overall Impression: For phychedelic rock this guitar is perfect. If it were stolen I would hunt down the man who took it and kick his little ass and if I couldn't find him I would buy another one. I love the neck: it's absolutly silky and the floyd rose bridge never goes out of tune. I love the fact that if a string snapped you can put it back in the bridge. My favorite feature is the bridge you can do huge dive bombs and it won't go out of tune plus it goes up and down. I chose it over other products because of the features it had. I absolutly reccomend this guitar it's perfect for almost any playing style! // 10

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: Guitar<3, on july 25, 2006

Features: The guitar was made in Japan, 2005, and has 24 frets, with sharkfin inlays. It has 3 Seymour Duncan passive humbuckers, and got everything a guy could ask for. It has tuners on the bridge as well as the standard ones on the head (so you won't have to "unlock" the neck-lock mechanism when tuning up small errors). I almost don't see why you need 'em anyway, as the guitar never goes out of tuning. That be if you haven't tuned it down past Eb. If you do you have to open the whole guitar and tighten some screw thingies. Much trouble for just tuning. // 9

Sound: There isn't a single genre of music you can't play with this guitar. The tremolo pickups have the nicest clean sound in the whole world, as well as the heaviest crunchiest sound if you want that. I play mainly metal, and instrurock, and this guitar takes the prize for all you want. I have actually tried to play every genre of music just to test the sound of each and every one, and I can't say I have heard a better average sound in a long while. It's really great. It's a liiiittle flaw about the whole thing (a little noise from other strings when playing with reeeally high gain, but I guess I can be fixed with a new dist. pedal). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have a really cool finish, which makes the whole guitar look evil (couldn't help myself). Not any flaws with anything whatsoever. I had to adjust the pickups a little, but just after my taste. Someone else would probably like it as it was. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will probably outlive myself. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect match for my style of music (the whole instrumental metal range of music). I play it through a Behringer UM-pedal and a Marshall MG-15 (know the amp is a little sucky). I would buy this guitar again in a second if anyone would dare to take it from me. If I could have afforded it of course. I must say I'm not 100% used to the vibsystem, but I've been playing a crappy guitar lately anyways. It makes palm muting the D-string a little difficult cuz I keep bending down the vib with my wrist. I've only been playing it a couple of weeks of course, so the technique is coming to me as I play more. I was thinking of buying a Ibanez S-470, but I'm not gonna thing about it anymore. This guitar kick ass. No new guitar until I'm buying a 7-string). // 9

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: HeavyMetalHokie, on january 28, 2009

Features: I bought this guitar in 2008 used so I can't say what year it was made in, but seems fairly new. It was made in Japan like most higher end Jacksons. It has 24 jumbo frets, an original Floyd Rose double locking tremolo, a Seymour Duncan JB TB4 pickup in the bridge and Hot Rails in the moddle and neck posistion with a 5 way selector Switch to select between them (HSS configuration) It also has one tone and one volume knob. The body is alder (so it's nice and light with a great tone) and a flamed red finish. I could happily go without the tremolo because I don't really use it that much and it's kind of a pain, but it does stay in tune regardless of dive bombs ect... // 10

Sound: I play metal with this guitar and currently have it tuned to drop C and even then it sounds fantastic. The bridge pickup sounds so tight and crunchy even detuned. It makes the perfect hard rock/metal guitar. it's not super high gain so prob not the best for death metal and the sorts. The alder body gives a great bright distortion that resembles 80's metal (just listen to any band that plays jacksons) The weak point on this guitar for me is the HSS configuration, the single coils just seem weak to me and sound flat when distorted. Not that great if you're looking for a good neck pickup solo sound. When I got this guitar I had it in Standard tuning and the single coils sounded good on clean with a nice bright clear sound. With the pickup configuration and the alder body, I feel this guitar would suit almost any music style (although jacksons ar usually regarded as metal guitars). Other than the single coils distorted, ths guitar is flawless. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used so I can't say too much for the factory setup bt when I got it the strings were set just where I like them and absolutely no fret buzz. The neck plays so smooth and fast compared to any other guitar I've played. The jumbo frets make playing fast and clear an easy task. The neck joint on this guitar is the best I've ever played, allowing you to access the upper frets with ease. The red finish looks amazing, just a beautiful guitar. Have absolutely no complaints in this section. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Soloist seems pretty durable, I've had it for a while and I bought it used and I can only find one scratch on the whole body. The only thing I would doubt would be the tremolo but it's stood up to everything I've put it through. The standards apply, breaking strings ect, but very reliable. I reaplaced the strap buttons with strap-locks which I would anyway. This guitar would definately withstand Live playing, but I would never go without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and this guitar suits my needs perfectly. I've been playing 7 years and it's the best guitar I've owned so far. I play it through a Bugera 333XL half stack and the combonation of both makes a great tone. I would definately get another soloist if it was stolen but prob go with a non trem and a double humbucker configuration. I love everything on this guitar except the tremolo and the single coil pickups but that's all personal prefrence, nothing wrong with the guitar. Best guitar I've owned and one of the best I've played, very versitile. I would recommend this guitar to anyone. // 10

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: ironman1478, on march 02, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This guitar was made in Japan in 2005 however I purchased it in early 2008 from ebay. It has 24 jumbo frets, 25.5" scale, 3 pickups (passive), tone+volume knob, licensed Floyd Rose (chrome jt580) and a 5 way pickup selector, alder body, rosewood fretboard and stainless steel frets. Then there is obviously the famous Jackson compound radius neck which gets flatter and wider as you go up the neck making it easier to reach the upper frets. It feels awesome and that is the main feature about this guitar. The neck is also painted however so if you sweat a lot you might want to get the paint sanded off because it gets VERY sticky. The guitar doesnt't have any features that stand out and separate it from other guitars, except for the neck with plays like a dream. The jt580 on this Jackson in like a lo-pro Floyd Rose from schaller it is not based off of the OFR design. The jt580 definitely feels better than an OFR because it is sleeker and is deeper into the body. This is said to cut some sustain, but I actually can't tell the difference between the sustain of an OFR and this jt580. The new sl3 is the same exact guitar except it doesnt't come with the jt580 is comes with a Ping O2000 Floyd Rose which has been said to have a few reliability issues (cant vouch for this, it's just what I have heard) so maybe you want to try it or read up on it a bit. // 10

Sound: This guitar can do nearly everything. I play blues, jazz, classic rock and metal through this baby. I am running it through a Maxon OD9 and a Peavey Ultra made in 1997. It VERY bright sounding, so maybe if you wanted to play some very dark/heavy sounding stuff this might not be the best guitar on the block. It has real seymour duncans (2 hotrails, which are like mini humbuckers yet are as versatile as single coils, and an TB4) and they are surprisingly versatile. I never thought I would be playing jazz or lighter music with this guitar mainly because I thought I would be playing metal, but as my musical tastes changed I realized this guitar's full potential. The pickups are dead silent and don't hum at all. The neck/middle pickup are as clean as you can possible get a pickup to be. Overall the sound of this guitar is phenomenal, but it also depends on the rig you have. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup well and the strings are practically right off of the fretboard and there is practically zero fret buzz. I didn't buy it out of a store so I couldnt tell you how it would come, if you bought it from musiciansfriend.com, but it doesnt't take long to do anyway. Everything was pretty much perfect when I got it, except the Floyd Rose had a bit of rust on it so make sure not to keep it in a humid environment. The frets (stainless steel) are probably going to last forever unless you mash down on the string horribly. The fretboard does get dirty extremely dirty and dry pretty fast so whenever you change strings, just take a cloth, put some lemon oil on the cloth and wipe the fretboard down to make sure it doesnt't get dried out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is an absolute rock. I have dropped it and banged it up without any dings (I was extremely surprised). I installed new strap knobs because the old ones were extremely loose, but that could be because the previous owner might have done something to it. You can rely on it go through anything and it is definitely a gig worthy guitar. The finish is absolutely flawless however it is a veneer maple top. Overall I think this guitar can survive anything and will definitely last a long time (if taken care of obviously. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar can and does everything easily. I have been playing this baby for about a year and it really doesnt't have any problems and there isnt a thing I would change. If it was stolen I would probably buy it or go up a step and by an sl2 or sl1. I love everything about the guitar and the finish looks awesome. I got it in red and it just looks awesome (although fingerprints really stick out on it). I am a Jackson fanboy however and I would buy this guitar over an ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, Fender, Gibson, etc. Because no other company can make a neck that feels as comfortable as a Jackson neck (except Charvel which technically speaking is Jackson). // 10

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 21, 2009

Purchased from: reidys

Features: Made in Japan. 24 frets, 25.5"/648mm scale length, extra jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, 12"-16" compund radius fretboard, c-shaped maple through neck with scarf joint at third fret, alder wings, original Floyd Rose FRT02000 2 point locking vibrato system, Floyd Rose locking nut, Jackson non-locking tuners, Seymour Duncan JBTB4 bridge humbucker, Seymour Duncan SHR101 Hot Rails in middle and neck position, 1 volume control, 1 tone control, 5 way blade pickup selector, side mounted jack input. Transparent natural gloss finish, with a flamed maple top. I like to call it a "honey" finish because it has a strong gold hint to it. Black hardware. Real mother of pearl sharkfin inlays. That about covers it. Pretty much everything I could want in a guitar, very low action, nice and smooth, very well balnced, comfortable to play, and to hold, and a great variety of tonal possibilty to experiment with. // 10

Sound: High gain: Very clear and piercing tone, particularly good for shrieking guitar solos, and the compound radius along with the high output pickups make this a dream to shred on. Endless sustain, and amazing vertsatility from the pickups, the neck pickup is deliciously warm, but the bridge pickup is very responsive. Clean tones: It takes a little fiddling around to get the feel of this just right, but once you get there, it sounds great! The tonal versatility you can get from it is astonishing. Still very responsive. A really nice clear tone with the bridge pickup and a nice smooth tone with the middle and neck pickups. I play this guitar through many different amplifiers with a vast array of tones, and it has never let me down. My main musical style is Heavy metal, but I also play a great deal of other styles as well, ranging from hard rock, to Acoustic, blues and jazz. I read many reviews prior to buying this guitar myself, and I must say as far as the sound is concerned many of them are very misleading. True, this guitar is primarily a heavy metal guitar, and it exceeds all expectations in that genre to an extraordinary degree, but it is also an incredibly versatile guitar. It took me a lot of fiddling around with various tones etc. to try to find the right sounds with this thing, (perhaps a little more than on most other guitars, because when playing clean the tone control is unusually responsive, most likely to compensate for the lack of response when playing with high gain) but once you get used to the guitar it's no problem at all to find the tone you want for any style. I'll give this thing a 9 because it took so much experimentation to make it sound just right, but in the field that it's designed for (being heavy metal and hard rock) it definitely deserves a 10. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar failed slightly. When I bought this, the action was set up absolutely perfectly - an absolute dream to play on, and it has kept this quality ever since I bought it, through every dive bomb and scoop, and through every string change, however! Some of the other hardware was very poorly set up, namely the bridge pickup and volume control. The bridge pickup was set ridiculously deeply and was probably about 5mm too low set into the body, and the volume knob was set so loose that I could pull it off in my hand. Fortunately these problems were easily fixable in about two minutes with the help of nothing but a screwdriver, but seeing as this is a top quality guitar it would be nice it were delivered in top condition. I doubt that any guitar technician would be as ingnorant as to leave features such as this on a guitar unattended, and so I believe that it is probable that these problems arose due to neglect and poor handling while in storage. I will still give this a 7, not because I am biased in any way, but because I believe that giving this a low score solely due to the poor instrument handling of the retailer which I bought it from would be unfair and unnecessary criticism against an instrument which is probably the nicest guitar which I have ever had the pleasure to play, and features such as these will probably not be consistent in other guitars purchased by other people. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for exactly one year now, and so far it hasn't even shown so much as a scratch. Admittedly I do take extreme care with my instruments, so much so in fact that no one else is allowed to touch them, but this guitar is still very roadworthy and it is definitely designed for the stage. The reason that the score for this has dropped down to an 8 is that the Floyd Rose vibrato system does cause problems with the strings. Extreme use (which I am quite prone to) shortens the string life dramatically, and I often find myself changing strings every 5 or 6 weeks. That said I have found these amazing new strings called d'addarrio prosteels (.009-.042) which last for about twice as long, and keep their tone right the way through to breaking point (and the tone is insane! you should hear the harmonics on them!) so that problem is solved for the most part. That said, the rest of the guitar is still in perfect condition and has shown me no problems so far, and so the rating Still Remains high with a good solid 8. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is absolutely perfect for everything I do, and with a little experimentation it should provide an experienced player with an excellent versatile instrument. I own many other guitars and I have played hundreds more, and so far this one is a good few steps in front anything else I've ever played in terms of features, sound, and general feel. It is the first Jackson that I have owned, and with results like this I hope to own many more in the future. If this thing were stolen I would buy a new one AND hire a private detective to find it, so that I could have 2. This thing is a work of ART and worth every penny. The thin neck made chords etc. a little tricky at first, but I soon grew accustomed to it, and now it's as easy as ever. Otherwise it's a very comfortable guitar to play and seems to match my playing style perfectly. The thing I love most about this guitar is the fretboard. The 12"-16" inch compound radius makes the fretboard incredibly flat, and the 648mm scale length keeps the tensions up to just the right degree to let your fingers sail over the strings at lightning speed and in total comfort. Believe me, if you are a metal player, this thing will send you to heaven. If heavy metal isn't your main focus I would still do some serious research into other instruments first as I am speaking as a man Who has developed almost all of his technique based on heavy metal principals, but it's still a very versatile instrument and definitely worth a look. As far as performance is concerned, there is no such thing as a guitar which doesn't need a backup, as all instruments are prone to the usual problems such as string breakages etc. but this is definitely a well made instrument, and should fulfil all of your gigging needs. I'm giving this angel the full blown 10 it deserves. // 10

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I purchased a Japanese Jackson SL3 Sunburst off ebay. Those reading this know what type of wood and hardware are on this guitar. Oh and it came with a Hardshell case. I have changed out the bridge pickup to a Jackson J80C from my Charvel. It is a Strat type body. // 9

Sound: Disappointing is all I can think of. I am not saying this just to say it. I have owned Jacksons from the eighties and still have my RR I bought new in 1986. I also have a 1985 Charvel model 3A that I have put a J90C pickup in. The soloist does have a nice sound but it does not even come close to what Charvel/Jackson offered when they were originally sold. I like all types of music but I play metal and this guitar doesn't have that true crunchy knock your teeth out sound the originals have. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: Now playability is true to original Jackson. I actually like the way this guitar plays. It does hold up the tradition. I can't say anything bad about how this guitar is put together other than the electronics. This guitar does play like a dream I do like to use it when I'm just hanging out. It would be great for the intermediate guitar player to keep stepping up. There really weren't any flaws with the guitar and if someone is willing to change out pickups and the pots and wiring this would be an excellent guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not sure of this part because while I have owned it for the past 4 years I haven't really used it that much. Could it be a live situation guitar? It needs work on that. I think it could be a stage guitar but one would have to yank out all of the electronics and wiring and get it set up proper. Finish wise it is excellent. Very beautiful guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall sound not too good. Electronics and hardware not too good. Finish excellent. Playability excellent. Would I buy it again? Yeah I would. My other gear I own is 1986 RR, 1985 Charvel 3A, 2009 Les Paul, Stratocaster, 1969 Gibson SG, 1982 GNL F100, DigiTech processor (hardly used) Peavey Ultra Plus Stack and a cable to plug into it. // 9

SL3 Soloist Reviewed by: LPshin, on september 19, 2012

Purchased from: a friend

Features: - 2008 Model Made in Japan - 24 extra jumbo frets 25 1/2 scale length. Rose wood fretboard. - Flamed maple top and alder wings - Black transparent flamed maple top - Floyd rose 0200 trem. - Passive pups Seymour JB humbucker and 2 HOT Rails single coils - One volume and one tone knob and a 5 way blade selector - Double locking tuners. Jackson machine heads - Came with Jackson flight case. // 9

Sound: I mainly play metal and its sub genres. Its great, its perfect for my style, it is very good for other styles also because it has a humbucker and 2 single coils. I am running it on a valve state Marshall 8080 with a Metal Zone pedal which isn't too bad. The single coils are very warm and I love how they sound. Humbucker sounds very rich and toneful. Very versatile guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it from a friend, perfectly set up, low action, ready to go. The pickups were at a very good height, I found that the single coil was a tad bit too high but that was easily adjustable. The top was very good, love the top. The flamed maple was stunning. Bridge was routed properly, looked nice. No flaws that I could find. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels very solid to play, I love it, I can rely on it playing live and gigging without a backup, But it does have a floyd, so if I broke a string, I would be screwed. The hardware is very solid, I can definitely depend on it. The strap buttons are screwed on nice and tight. Big buttons, the strap is secure. The finish seems solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal, This guitar is perfect for my music. I have been playing for 2 years, I own a LTD Viper 400 which I also love. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32T Kelly 7.6 Electric Guitars 05/13/2014