SL3MG Review

reviews (2) 24 comments vote for this gear:
SL3MG Reviewed by: jornvdcb, on december 16, 2009

Price paid: € 1179

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Well since there aren't any reviews I decided to write one. I just got it today. I believed they came out this summer 2009 along with two other new Jackson guitars. This is my 3rd Jackson guitar the other ones I have is are the DKMG & RR3. I'd like to compare the SL3MG next to my DKMG. -24 Frets -Alder neck-through body -Active EMG 85 neck - 81 Bridge -Case included -Floyd Rose FRT-O2000 Tremolo (original) -MOTO Shark Fin Position Inlays -Sealed Die-Cast Tuners // 10

Sound: This sounds almost the same as a Dinky only this guitar is neckthru so the vibrations are much better. I play it though a Engl Powerball with a Laboga Mr Hector Cabinet. I pick Jacksons cause they can handle almost any style of music and this one does that also. I mainly play Metal-Metalcore like All That Remains, Parkway Drive, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold etc. This guitar can handle all of that. I also like to play some songs of the police, blue oyster cult, kansas that kind of stuff this guitar handles the job with the proper effects. The clean is also very good. Very good articulations on sweep picking solo's, tapping, bends. I give a 9,7 rounded off to the nearest decimal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the strings are really close to the fretboard (don't know what this is called? Low bottom?) No flaws discovered, everything is thight together. No problems with the pickups. I've chosen the black one. This guitar is made in bigger productions in Japan so you can't choose any of those kickass colors only: Black, Satin Black, Natural, Amber Sunburst & Green Swirl. Someday I'll go for a Snakeskin Soloist <3 // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well the funny thing with my 2 other Jackson guitars when I got them was that the volume knob fell off. This one didn't pwoew xD. This seems like a guitar that can stand a lifetime if it is taken well care of it. It comes with a case so you're always sure. (Sorry for my english I'm from Belgium) // 10

Overall Impression: Well I gave it on everything a 10 (becuz you can't give your own ratings. But this guitar is worth a 9.6. I'm very proud of this guitar, I'll tune it down to C with some 11-54 slinky's. But if you really can't choose between the SL3MG or the DKMG. I'd take the SL3MG for genre's you have to downtune your guitar, the neckthru gives you the advance of better vibration, longer notes ringin', better playability. But I'm also proud off my DKMG which gets a 9.4 in my opinion. Again, sorry for any english mistakes if you need to know more, you can always ask me, Jorn // 10

SL3MG Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2010

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Made in Japan, I believe, no older than 2005. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, Rosewood fingerboard with jumbo frets, Arch top Alder body with a black finish and a Rock Maple neck with Neck-Thru construction. Has a Floyd Rose FRT O2000 tremolo system with Jackson tuning heads, active EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck with 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3-way switch. Overall a very nice setup, neck is smooth. I only rated the features a 9 because it doesn't have an Original German-made Floyd Rose. // 9

Sound: The majority of my playing style is metal, and the EMGs do that job to the fullest. I play this through a Peavy Valveking half stack and it sounds absolutely amazing. The EMGs deliver a great clear and aggressive tone, and harmonics are very easy to get with the 81 in the bridge, and the 85 makes for very smooth leads and has a nice clean tone as well. I play anything from Iron Maiden to Dethklok, and this guitar can really deliver. For a more versatile tone, however, I plan on switching out the 85 for a 60, but that's just me. As is common knowledge with EMGs, they are extremely quiet when not playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very low, and there was minimal fret buzz. No dead notes, no bends fretting out, no mechanical or electronic defects at all. Finish was pretty much flawless. I got it off of Craigslist from a guy who'd had it for a couple years and the only blemish on it was a little buckle rash and a small chip in the finish on the reverse side. Even after a couple of years of abuse from the original owner, the knobs were still fine and the pickup selector was in good order. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Before the original owner had even bought it, it had fallen of the rack at my local Guitar Center a portion off the top of the headstock broke clean off. However, after a professional fix, the headstock was repaired and it has lasted at least three years, still showing no sign of breaking. All hardware is still good as well, and I have No Doubt in my mind that it will last me a long time. The strap buttons are still sturdy and show no sign of weakness. As for gigging without a back-up, I wouldn't solely because of the Floyd. I don't think I would break a string, but you can never be too careful live, right? // 10

Overall Impression: As a metal guitar, this is perfect for me with the EMGs, Neck-thru construction and Floyd Rose. It isn't as versatile as the Sl3, so if you're looking for an uber versatile guitar, get that, but this is a really good guitar regardless I have been playing for around three years and have owned a Fender Deluxe Telecaster, Ibanez RG5EX1, and a Dean Dime Razorback, but this is probably my favorite of what I've owned and ever even played. If it were stolen, I would definitely get this one again. Of course, if it were stolen, I would hunt and then burn down the house of the guy who stole it, after torturing his family and all. I feel very lucky to have found such a good guitar (list price of $1,149.99) for only $500. The only thing I wish it would have is a \n Original Floyd, but from what I understand, the FRT O2000 is a lot like the Original, just made in Korea or somewhere. It stays in tune for a really long time and I guess in the long run, that's what matters. I highly recommend this guitar. // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ Mark Morton Dominion D2 8 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014