SLAT3-6 Soloist Archtop Review

reviews (3) pictures (3) 22 comments vote for this gear:
SLAT3-6 Soloist Archtop Reviewed by: Gamefer, on january 20, 2011

Price paid: € 1250

Purchased from: Laitevälitys

Features: I bought this guitar last summer (2010). Model is new, so guitar is brand new too. SLAT3-6 is made in Japan, 24 Jumbo frets, neck-thru, 25,5"scale. Alder body and mable neck. Green swirl finishing. Floyd Rose FRT-O2000 Double-Locking Tremolo, Die-Cast Tuners Acive EMG electornicks, 81 and 85 mics. 3-way switch, volume and tone knobs. Original strings .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042 Guitar comes with hard Jackson case, which is really good and can be also locked. // 10

Sound: Everyone says that this guitar is build for metal and it is pretty much that way. I have Blackheart little big giant tube-amp and boss-md2 + boss-cs3 effects with. The sound is very crushing and sharp. Little narrow, and I guess I would go with seymor duncans next time. Guitar has pretty good sustain itself. Awesome sound nevertheless I would wish some more roundness to sound its somewhat sparky and crushing with EMGs. But these are just minor points. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was well setup when I received it. Intonation was set just right. All I did was changing the strings and adjusted the string height suitable for me. Finishing was flawless and everything worked like it should. One thing that I couldn't adjust was tremolo, which wont stay in tune when you bend it. Tremolo releasing works ok, and guitar stays tune like that, but bending up or down makes it losing the tune (example two strings vibrating same time). I tried adjust springs and change them few different positions. I even changed strings, from .050 to original .042, but still couldn't get it tune. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is well build and everything is made to last. Though knobs are very lose, and while playing volume knob is very close of you hand. Its very likely that you hit the volume knob and volume goes down. Well this problem is in many other guitars too. Although knobs feel very solid and work like dream. Mic switcher is little loose or feels like it isn't that well build than knobs. Well build and will last. // 9

Overall Impression: Good guitar for metal and clean sound isn't that bad either, but I recommend it for rock and metal. I been playing only four years and I invested for this guitar and now I been plying more than ever, daily I would say. If you have opportunity to see guitar first check if neck thickness is right for you, its is kinda narrow. No idea if that tremolo tune while bending is a common problem, but I would still test it first. Green Swirl color is even beter than it looks in pictures! I wonder when they gonna make red swirls? If this guitar would be lost I think I would go one with seymor duncan mics. Still very good guitar and I'm not going to sell or lost it! :) // 9

SLAT3-6 Soloist Archtop Reviewed by: alpacino2368, on october 05, 2010

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

Features: This guitar is amazing and has almost anything you ever need and more. This guitar comes with an origianl Floyd Rose (FRT-O2000 double-locking tremolo) dual EMG pickups (emg 81 bridge and 85 neck). This gutiar has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck is also extremely thin and makes it beautiful to play! It also comes with the whammy bar a battery a custom fitted case and tools for the floyd rose. // 10

Sound: The emgs make your guitar sing. The sound great are very activate and are extremely quite when not playing. The sound of them is very sharp (maybe a little thin)but it still great. One thing is I would not recommend this guitar for blues or something it is made for the soul purpose of heavy metal and hard rock! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved this brand new out of the box it was setup up perfectly the picks and even the Floyd Rose where already done. All I had to do was pick it up and start playing. This guitar was perfect no flaws and was just about perfect. The only thing was the strings it came with completely wrecked the guitars sound so I recommend replacing them right away. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems extremely well built and will be able to withstand all punishment that gets thrown at it in the future. The hardware is all high quality and sturdy the finish is thick and I would probably not have this guitar without a backup just because of the Floyd Rose and that I always like to plan for the worst. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a perfect metal beast it is amazing for what it is meant for and you can not go wrong with this guitar. Jackson makes great guitars with the best stuff for the best price. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another one but first I would beat up the guy who stole it from me. I highly recommend this guitar above anything else out on the market Jackson product all the way for metal! // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ Mark Morton Dominion D2 7.7 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014