SLSMG Soloist Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 12/15/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: SLSMG Soloist
It's designed for the player who's looking for a great crunch and warm sustain. The mahogany body and mahogany neck thru give the guitar amazing clarity plus the strings run thru the body for increased sustain.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 8.7
reviews (7) pictures (2) 47 comments vote for this gear:
SLSMG Soloist Reviewed by: d_byrne23, on december 07, 2005

Purchased from: Macaulays Music

Features: Pretty basic guitar, its got a neck-thru, satin black finish, 2 emg hz passive pickups with a 3-way selector, tone and volume knobs. It has a dinky style almost Strat like but thinner body which is super lightweight. // 10

Sound: I play mainly hardcore, nu-metal and metal music. The EMG HZ's are not as bad as most people say but they definately aren't as good sounding as their actie counterparts. If the guitar came with an 81 combo, or an 81/60 combo it would definately sound better, even a nice set of Duncans would've been nice. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was great, no fret buzz or dead frets or anything along that line. The satin black is definately one of my all time favourite colours, you don't see scratches or anything like that because of the finish, definately one of the most well put together I've seen, the ebony neck is super thin and super fast and the higher frets are easily accessible. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems like it will last, I use a Dimarzio Clip Lock strap system which is great, the buttons dont move around even though I took them out and put them back in. I would definately gig with it without a backup and that says alot, the finish will last and the ebony neck is easy to clean etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a perfect match for hard rock/metal, the HZ's are a little weak in terms of pickups, but with a good pickup change this guitar can easily go from great to simply stunning, definately recommended for the interemediate to advanced level of player, if it were stolen or lost I'd definately muster up another 1500 and buy another quality Jackson guitar that's for sure. // 10

SLSMG Soloist Reviewed by: PunishedOne, on august 01, 2007

Purchased from: Used (through Craigslist)

Features: MIJ, 24 frets, scalloped neck joint, neck-through design with string-through body. Mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fretbaord. Die-cast turners, passive EMG-Hzs, and the lightest axe you will ever play. Satin black finish, looks gorgeous in person. Tune-o-matic bridge with string-through body. // 8

Sound: Best sounding axe I've ever heard. The EMG-HZs are the best pickups I've heard so far in person.(I've only heard stock pickups, no DiMarzios, Duncans, or real EMGs yet)Thanks to the the neckthrough design and mahogany body, the tone that comes out of this thing is a grinding thrashing in-your-face type of tone. This was BORN for my style, Rhythm Thrash Metal. I played this through a tube halfstack with a Marshall 4X12, and wow did this scream. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used locally via Craigslist, so it was already setup and had a few nicks and dings that are only cosmetic. The finish will be a bitch to keep clean since it's satin black, but it's worth the looks. Playingwise, it's like butter, literally. There is no delay in thrashing out, and the neck has just the right thickness for my tastes. Not too thick, not too thin. I've felt Wizard IIs, and I think those now suck compared to this neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Considering how thin the body is (it's like a half of an inch thick), I think you'd have to watch how crazy you get when you're playing live. The strap buttons are over-sized and I've played this standing up, I would rely on this axe. The finish is thick. The two little dings have only a tiny bit of finish coming off. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Rhythm Thrash Metal, and this axe was BORN for it. The tone and feel just backs it up. I've been playing for two years and this was my dream axe for quite a while, so I'm still in doubt that I actually own this and got it for so little ($450 USD, like new with hardshell). Before buying it, I wish I would've heard a few more Thrash songs on it, as I still don't have an amp. Doesn't matter, this still sounds great even acoustically! If this was stolen or lost, I would try my best to find the scumbag Who stole it and tear off his face. This is the best axe I've played. I've played all of these axes: Squier 2005 Affinity Strat, Jackson JS30, Jackson DKMGT, Ibanez RG321, Ibanez SZ720, ESP F-50, Ibanez GRX20, B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock, MIM Strat, '92 MIA Strat, Schecter Omen 6. And this is the best one. What I love the most about it is the entire package. Now I know why this is worth $1,000 USD. // 9

SLSMG Soloist Reviewed by: Shady Weezul, on may 12, 2010

Features: I purchased my Jackson SLSMG in January 2010, so I've had it a few months. As I'm writing this, it is May 2010. I ordered it online from GC after a few months of research. As far as features go, there really aren't a lot to talk about due to it's simplicity, which is what I was going for. It has a fixed bridge with body-thru strings. The strings travel over top of the EMG 81/85 pickup set. Some people have asked if they are active and they are. The battery compartment is on the back just to the left of the electronics compartment. It has a 24 fret neck with jumbo frets which makes doing everything (in my opinion) much easier. It has Jackson's compound radius fretboard which is, as far as I can tell, similar to Ibanez's Wizard necks. Regardless, the neck feels amazing when it's played. My only complaint is that it doesn't have Jackson's signature headstock which I really wanted. It looks very similar to the headstock on my Dean Vendetta 4. Either way, it's a smokin' hot guitar. It has a three-way pickup selector, volume pot, and a tone pot. My biggest gripe about the controls is that the tone pot is pretty lazy. It doesn't affect the sound as much as I would have liked. The volume knob on my guitar was loose from the factory (due to shipping...?) and I had to tighten it down when I pulled it out of the case. I personally prefer knobs that have a bit of resistance to them because when I play, I have a habit of rolling the volume down (especially when sweeping). The bridge is pretty basic, it's a floating bridge (just like my Dean) and offers a wide array of fine adjustments. // 8

Sound: The sound of the guitar is pretty just what you would imagine by looking at it's stats. I'd be lying if I said that it was great for playing clean tones but that's not what I play nor is that why I bought it. If you play cleans with it, it's passable but not like what you would get from a nice Tele or a Super Swede (I refuse to use the LP as a standard). I noticed a little bit of hiss from the pups when I use the lead channel on my amp, but that's negated immediately by a decent noise suppressor. The pups are ridiculously sensitive and really begin to Shine when you get to the higher end of the audio spectrum. It's great for screaming leads and I have no complaints really when it plays lower end/detuned chugging riffs. The one thing that many people would view as a "drawback" is that it doesn't have a tremolo. This is all personal preference and I prefer to not use them. I use the bridge as a rest for my hand and if I try that with a trem, I find myself flatting the notes from my hand pushing down on the bridge. One of the greatest things about this guitar is it's endless sustain. Between the active 81/85 pickups, the body-thru strings, and neck-thru design, this thing can hold a note for quite a while. It suits my music style quite well, I play a lot of tech metal and shred (think Buckethead, Necrophagist, Paul Gilbert, etc.) and I couldn't have asked for a better guitar for the task. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the case, this thing was immaculate. It came wrapped up in foam sheets so there were no scratches or anything on it when I pulled it out. The first thing I did was replace it with some Ernie Ball Super Slinky 8's and lowered the action a smidgen. The action was passable right out of the box, but I prefer it extremely low. There was (and still is) no fret buzz anywhere, no dead spots, and no fretting out on higher notes. All the frets were filed very nicely and are quite smooth to the touch. I got the "Snow White" model which is just a super high gloss white. The high gloss paint reflects all the curves of the guitar very well and really makes it look sexy, especially around the neck. The guitar comes with Shark tooth inlays and they look very well done. There's nothing special about them, but none of them were messed up so I guess that means they are good to go, eh? No oxidized hardware, no loose tuning pegs, everything is just good. The only exception (which was mentioned earlier) was that I needed to tighten the volume knob. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be amazing to play live. I personally have never played live with it yet, but it's weight would really make a difference. It is easily 30% lighter than my Dean. I have heard from other people that this particular model is quite susceptible to dents and dings. I don't have any on my guitar (although it has been knocked around a little bit on accident). The strap buttons seemed alright on my guitar, but I immediately replaced them with locking strap buttons so it wouldn't fly off if I played live with it. My only hesitation with this guitar is that it probably couldn't take a beating as well as other beefier guitars. A lot of people don't realize how thin the body and neck of this guitar really is. It's razor thin which is a blessing and a curse. It's great as far as comfort and playability, but I don't think that it's a testament to it's ruggedness. Oh well, you're buying an instrument, not a show piece. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this guitar was made for me. Maybe after I save up some more money I may spring for the SL1 USA Soloist. That won't be for a while, though. This is the lightest and fastest guitar I have played. I'm sure there are others, I've heard the Rusty Cooley RC7x model is pretty wicked fast, but 7 strings aren't really my style. There is also an Ibanez model that follows this guitar's specs fairly closely, although right now the model number eludes me. My biggest gripe is that after I dropped $1000 on my white SLSMG, I saw that they turned around and were selling the red one for $699.00. I think I would have gotten the red one for a $300 price cut. If it was stolen, I would track that person down and cut his head off. That pretty much sums that up. If it were lost, I would buy another one, particularly the red one since it's cheaper! Overall, great guitar. // 10

SLSMG Soloist Reviewed by: powerlord, on december 04, 2006

Purchased from: guitarGrave

Features: This is a 2005 Eerie Dess model with 24 fret ebony board, made in Japan.It is a total mahogany neck through with a beautiful satin finish. Tune-O-Matic bridge with a 5-way selector and one volume, one tone knob. Pickups are two EMG passives, and the tuners are stock jacksons. This guitar came with nothing else but itself. // 10

Sound: Obviuosly this axe was a born soloist, and is an excellent metal and hard rock axe, I play this through an MXR OD pedal, DigiTech DSP16 processor, a Mesa Boogie MarkIII head and B-52 AT412 cab and the sustain is a dream, the EMG's are a little bright, which is nice for '80s metal, and It does well acoustically on clean channel. Versatile guitar here! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was too high for me, the pickups were out of whack, as far as the finish is concerned it was perfect with no flaws. All controls and pickup and bridge are seated very well in their respectable spots, I had to do a complete setup for this guitar out of the box, I would have anyway though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are very acceptable for an axe this light, durability has yet to be seen as I haven't gigged with it, but everything is so solid and well built that reliability seems sure with this guitar, I don't think the finish on this guitar will fade easily due to a thick coat of clear. // 9

Overall Impression: I play '80s metal/rock and this is perfect! I have been playing about a year and a half and so far this guitar meets and exceeds all of my wants, I have test drove a lot of guitars and this compares with top line Schecters, Gibsons, and Ibanez S series, but it outshines all in the fast neck area, I personally would have preferred different pickups, other than that she is perfect. I would buy thi again no matter what, I might even buy every color they are made in. I love this axe, it is now my favorite. // 10

SLSMG Soloist Reviewed by: tjocmd, on february 09, 2007

Purchased from: guitar trader

Features: Bought this guitar brand new over the internet from guitar trader, so I was at the mercy of reviews and features make available to anyone online. The deciding factor was the price guitar trader was offering $699, that beat the next closest offer by $300 and $999 seemed to be the normal price by most everybody. This was the "sale" price, with a list of about $1450, so there you have it, as far as the money is concerned. Guitar trader also threw in a hard case by gator, which may not be fitted, but close enough and the case has a lot of little features which I loved, like a see-through poach in the front and locking handles and general appearance. Guitar trader also threw in a bunch of free stuff: polish cloth, with Fender picks, set of new strings, Fender, Fender 10 foot cord, guitar stand. So I made out, I thought. The SLSMG is beautiful and comes with extremely basic controls: 3 position switch for pickups, tone control knob, and volume. The tuning pegs are solid and seem to really hold the strings, no matter how hard I try to bend them out of key. // 10

Sound: Right now I use no effects, just a 65 watt Marshall, I get more as band character developes, but I also have an american white Strat, which is for performing with, it is extremely forgiving and easy as hell to play, I get away with murder on that thing, also don't mind it being knocked around a bit, which is leading to this, the slsmg is as beautiful as it could be, the sound is great and I mean great, holds a note forever and just dominates, it's crisp and clean and a domineering instrument, which is why I would use it mainly for special gigs, or at home, or studio, not knocking around at a cheap place. The reason is that it dents very very easily, this is because it is light as a feather, so should you play in a little venue, be gentle, tune it down a touch. Also this guitar is born for heavy metal, I am not, but love this sound so much, so medium rock or other things you must adjust your playing style and amp and guitar, because this guitar will push evrything else out of it's way. All in all, a beautiful guitar, be careful, delicate light wood, and dents easily and as pretty as that guitar is, you really want to maintain its beauty, it's sound is strong and full, you can soft rock with authority or burst into heavy and I mean heavy metal anytime, people will get out of your way. Guitar is the lightest guitar I have ever owned and I am sure any owner will say the same, it weights nothing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Quick and painless opinion here, fits like a glove and the finish sparkles. The action is good, but not like a good Telecaster or start, sort of plays like a jumbo fretted SG with a wider neck and a lot better action. You just can't bend 2 inches like a loose Strat lets you if you are lucky, but better than a Gibson, but not very forgiving, you playing better be on target, but you will be rewarded for it in tone and sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I said before, this guitar sounds great and will dominate the stage, but after a year of playing live, your axe will show it, this is a dominate guitar, but delicate, and light as hell. So plays and sounds as good or better than any other on stage, but I am anal about the appearance of my guitar, I can't stand seeing something so pretty get beat up, but so goes it. It's sort of like wanting your daughter to stay a virgin, a little extreme, but you get my point. // 9

Overall Impression: Finally, at the price I paid, I would rate this guitar an 11, but I don't know why guitar trader was selling it so cheap, but at the Standard price of $999, which is the price I always see, it would depend, if it was for me and to collect and play around my home and private jams, I recommend 1000%. If my money was tight and I wanted a heavy metal guitar to play in gigs and run around with all the time, there are a lot of guitars out there that would support heavy metal playing in a bar situation and in those surroundings, sound just as good. I actually would stay with Jacksons, they have much less expensive guitars that would be a better choice, but in the end, it's your baby. // 10

SLSMG Soloist Reviewed by: Eunakritos, on september 18, 2009

Features: Apparently, don't quote me on this, but I think this guitar was made in Japan. I have no idea when as this is the older version with the EMGHZ that was upgraded to the 81 and 85. Therefor not much room for the batteries. 24 Jumbo Frets, neck through, I heard it was Mahogany, but I can't say for sure. Though I must say, the neck is PERFECT! It's very comfortable, probably one of the nicest feeling necks I've EVER played. Very comparable to some Ibanez necks. In fact this guitar feels almost exactly like the Ibanez RGT6EXFX if anyone has tried it. This neck is a TAD wide, which I LOVE because I find it resembles a classical guitar more, and it plays beautifully for sweeping as you'll never feel crammed for space. Besides the EMGHZ or 81&85 (depends which one you get), it's fairly stock hardware if I'm not mistaken. At least the tuners seem to be, but I'm not sure about the bridge, but that's not a problem, they're not terrible and if you ACTUALLY have a problem with them, it doesn't cost much to upgrade. 3 way toggle/blade Switch, 1 volume, 1 tone. There's a couple of varieties in finishes and colors, but I have satin black, basically a semi Shine but no gloss coat over it. I read that the body was mahogany as well, but there's no telling for sure. Those EMGs sound great in almost anything. lol This guitar is very thin, and therefor fairly light, pretty misleading from the front. Oh, I forgot, it has white/cream binding on the neck and head stock, which is always nice. Also has real nice inlays (piranha tooth), but that's just a minor detail. Still totally rad though. 8/10 For the price, it could have better hardware. Plus I'm not a fan of the headstock, but it's kind of growing on me. // 8

Sound: I get great resonance and sustain out of this for the most part. Great gain and sounds amazing with my Peavey 5150. I'm a huge fan of active pickups on my 5150. Attempting to go back to my stinky ol' BC Rich with it's crapzoid stock pick ups was impossible, it just wasn't the same. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action's pretty decent, though I don't know if I can judge it as I bought this guitar used and it was in terrible cosmetic condition, it was brutal. Though I didn't mind, because I paid for an instrument, not a show piece. So I don't know if the quality of it's operational properties has been compromised but it seems to be good as of yet. I haven't had any problems except the jack, which I replaced. Anyway, everything seems to be aligned well, not having any problems with fret buzz or anything like that. Like I said the guitar was in terrible shape cosmetically when I got it, but I saw pictures of the variety of finishes and loved them all. I don't have a problem with the neck being sticky feeling or anything, so it's all good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Not much I can say about this, as it's a guitar just like any other guitar, it's only as durable as you make it out to be. I mean, if you treat it like shit, it's probably going to get ruined. As far as the finish, most of the paint scrapes and such were caused by massive dents and shit, I'm sorry, but whoever (I'll leave this person unnamed) owned this guitar treated it like dirt, and well I guess ultimately put it to the test. But judging by the massive dents and lacerations (haha) it took one hell of a beating for the paint to chip off. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Metal mostly, clean stuff sometimes. Random other stuff, no specific genre besides metal really. This guitar kicks ass for metal, shredding, heavy riffing and anything in between. I've been playing for 3 years I think? Maybe 4, not quite sure. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would go out and buy a one new, if not, I'd buy that Ibanez RGt6 I mentioned earlier. They're very similar. I love almost everything about this guitar, only complaints are the headstock shape, which is very minor, and the quality I got it in, which has nothing to do with the manufacture's quality. Oh, and the fact that's it's pretty expensive, and from my experience, hard to find. This is by far the best Jackson, in fact best guitar I've ever played. // 9

SLSMG Soloist Reviewed by: Deltadawg, on december 15, 2011

Purchased from: She-Bay

Features: 2010 Jackson SLSMG Soloist made in Japan, 24 frets, ebony fretboard, solid mahogany top, thru neck design, satin finish, fixed bridge, active electronics, volume / tone, dual humbuckers 81/85, and came with a hard shell case. I like the solid black look - It just looks demonic. // 7

Sound: I like the heavy stuff - this guitar is made for this style of music for sure. Drop D tuning is handled with little fret buzz difference. I have this thing on a Carvin micro stack VM3 and it sounds great for all types of metal. The 81/85 combo is perfect for this setup. Sometimes I feel teh low ends sound a bit too muddy, but woth some amp adjustments, I feel you can get around it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is unbelievably low from the factory. I just messed around to see if I could get lower while riding on teh fret buzz border line - but they have already nailed it. All the hardware appears to be either zinc or chrome - so I doubt any pre mature oxidizing will take place. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It appears to be a little fragile, but I am coming off of a Charvel model II 1987. That thing is a beast and really well made. I think this axe can withstand the long haul however. Finish has not been blemished as of yet - but I don't want to drop to test it out. The strap buttons seem really solid actually. // 8

Overall Impression: I like it and I would buy another if I were in the market. A really good bang for your buc. I have been playing for 20 years - but I am partial to Jackson. The only thing I don't like - is I wish the tuners were able to be locked. Overall impression, if you are not a beginner and like heavy music and do not need a stupid tremolo; this is the guitar for you! // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32 Rhoads 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014