SLX Soloist Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 07/27/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: SLX Soloist
It suits almost everything I play you just have to have the right set up on your amp. I love this guitar, for the price it was the best I could find for me.
 6.8
 9.1
review (1) pictures (5) 14 comments vote for this gear:
SLX Soloist Reviewed by: cobhc909094zach, on july 27, 2012

Purchased from: fs music

Features: This guitar was made in India and very well done. It has a thin neck and 24 frets. This guitar has a rosewood neck through body construction. It is a solid top made of Mahogany and maple neck with a very unique setup. It is a natural finish. This guitar has two EMG-HZ pickups and sounds good. There is one tone knob and one volume knob, with a Floyd Rose Special, with a locking nut. // 6

Sound: I play everything from heavy metal to blues. I have a wide range of music I enjoy playing. I use this guitar all the time and is now my only one, it suits almost everything I play you just have to have the right set up on your amp. The EMG-HZ pickups do very well with metal yet not to bad at country and blues. I use a Behringer practice amp and a Line 6 heavy metal pedal. I can get all sorts of distortion out off the pedal and always use it. I have played this guitar through my friends Marshall stack and this guitar just screamed I was really impressed. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was near perfect, it came straight from California from the NAMM convention that the guitar guy from the shop attended. This guitar was very well set up, however I am a perfectionist when it comes to my guitar so I took it home and spent another hour or so setting the floyd rose and action on the neck right were I wanted it. There was no flaws that I could see at first, I bought this guitar in a rush before I moved to china and didn't spend a lot of time looking it over at the shop. When I got it home I found that along the edge of the frets and binding toward the upper part of the neck had some glue stains. This flaw was not super noticeable but it caught my attention after a little while of having the guitar. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have played in several bands and am starting a band in China and I think this guitar would do very well without a backup. However I never play a show without a backup because you never know what can happen. I advise anyone who intends to play live to bring a backup. But with that said this guitar does well to stay in tune and is very sturdily built. I trust this guitar to last a very long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I would like to start this part off by saying I love this guitar, for the price it was the best I could find for me. I have owned three different Jackson guitars and have had an Ibanez, Schecter, Squier Tele and Strat and a Epiphone Les Paul Special. I have enjoyed the jacksons the most they have always been durable and a good buy for the money and you can get a guitar that is in full worth your money. I use this guitar for all kinds of music and it does well, If you are strictly metal or hard rock I suggest one with different pickups, these are a versatile pickups that do well they are not the best that I have ever played though. I have played a $7000 Gibson that was really awesome and if you can afford to get a more expensive guitar then fine there is better out there. But if you are looking for 600 or so new then this guitar is a very good price and really is a steal with everything that it comes with. // 7

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014