USA Select DK1 Review

9.3
 7.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
USA Select DK1 Reviewed by: cukd7x-a2-, on november 12, 2008

Purchased from: Portland Music Co.

Features: This a 2008 USA made Dinky. It has 24 jumbo frets, with a 25.5" neck of quartersawn maple which, like all Jacksons, is super thin. I bought the transparent blue model, but it comes in various solid colors and graphic as well (same set as the SL2H). The body is a dinky shape and is made of alder and is super light with a bolt on neck. The DK1 comes with a Floyd Rose original tremolo, which stays in tune perfectly. It has a tone and a volume knob along with a 3 way selector switch. It has EMG 81/85 active electronics and it sounds amazing! it has Jackson tuners. I got a Jackson/Charvel case when I bought it, but it will vary store to store. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal and this thing sounds amazing! I run it through a Crate 100W solid state head and a 4X12 Blue Voodoo Cabinet along with a Boss ME-20. With a noise gate, this guitar doesnt make extra noise very often. On the clean channel, the EMG's play like a dream, with a really full sound. On overdrive, this thing packs a punch that is more like a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick! This is probably the most versatile guitar I have ever played. The Floyd Rose is tons of fun to play with! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up almost perfectly except for one of the string locks at the bridge was bent, but that was fixed at the store, and was not a factory fault. Other than that, this thing was set up perfectly! pickups were great, the finish was great, the neck was a little dirty, but easily cleaned, and like I said everything was as perfect as perfect gets! // 10

Reliability & Durability: the question isnt will this guitar withstand Live playing, it's will Live playing withstand this guitar? this thing is brutal tough, and I love it! I would definitely use this without a backup at a gig. So far, the finish has stayed perfect even with all the playing I've done on it! The Floyd Rose feels super solid on this, and the locking nuts can take a lot of force too. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing nonstop for about 3 years now, and I like playing anything rock or metal. I also own an Epiphone les paul (doesnt't even compare) and a Crate half stack and a cheapo Fender amp. When I went shopping for this, I also tried a a usa Kelly (KE2) and this was a better guitar overall. It had a fully sound, and was a little more balanced. If this was stolen, lets just say there would be WW3, and I would "Take No Prisoners". The thing I love about it most is the locking trem... so much fun! I only wish this had a neck thru design, but then it would be a soloist. It's a great guitar, and I recommend you get one AND FAST 2008 is the final edition of the DK1. // 10

USA Select DK1 Reviewed by: beanhead, on december 02, 2008

Purchased from: dawsons

Features: 24 frets, Floyd Rose trem double lock (this thing stays in tune forever), volume and tone control and 3 way pick up selector. Active EMGs in neck and bridge, powered by a 9v battery at the back. The guitar simply doesn't work without it. Bolt on neck, very playable from the 1st fret to the 24th. Case included too. // 9

Sound: The EMG pick ups are a little bit noisy when set to 100% volume, so I drop it to about 90%. The guitar has no tone at all with distortion but handles high gain from my Line 6 spider 3 150w amp pretty well. The clean sounds are pretty warm and colourful and the sustain is pretty good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It comes with gauge 9 strings and low action, so it's set up for heavy metal. If you want to start playing other styles, you should probably raise the bridge (a lot) and put some 10s on it. The Floyd Rose trem moves drastically every time you bend a string, putting them all out of tune during the bend. so unison bends and any bend above 1/2 step are out of the question. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Floyd Rose trem can certainly take some abuse, and the guitar seems pretty sturdy. The tone controls are wonky though, but I can Live with that. it's light and very playable stood up or sat down. it's very comfortable to play, probably the most playable guitar I have ever played. It won't be falling apart anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: If you want a guitar for heavy metal, this is probably the best bet. Minimal noise and a super fast neck and set up. I knew when buying it that it was designed for metal, but it is literally unplayable for any other style (unless you wanna mess around with the bridge set up). If you want it for any other style you should get the new '08 Gibson Les Paul Standard. it's cheaper and far more versatile. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ RR24XT Rhoads 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014