WRMG Warrior Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 02/03/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: WRMG Warrior
Alder Body with Carved Top and Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors. Bolt-On Rock Maple Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard. 24 Jumbo Frets.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.9
 8.8
 8.8
 8.7
reviews (8) pictures (2) 45 comments vote for this gear:
WRMG Warrior Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2004

Purchased from: guitarexpress.com

Features: Alder Body, 24 jumbo frets, Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Piranha inlays with neck and headstock binding. Tone, Volume, and Gain knobs. Floyd Rose Locking Trem and nut. EMG HZ passive pickups. Extremely comfortable feel both sitting and standing. With the wild body shape, I was surprised at that. Much more comfortable than Strat shaped guitars. // 10

Sound: I prefer to play Death Metal, progressive. This thing suits that style incredibly. It also sounds great clean, without distortion. With the gain control on the guitar on, it gets a little noisy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was perfect. No cosmetic flaws at all. The inlays and binding are beautiful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I dinged the paint slightly on my computer desk because I wasn't used to the body style, and the paint chipped... but that was my fault. Seems solid to me. // 8

Overall Impression: The is the best guitar I've ever had. I had a Jackson dinky reverse about 10 years ago and wasn't impressed with it. But this thing has renewed my respect for Jackson. I thought when Fender bought out Jackson, that it might be the beginning of the end for them, but I was wrong.

This is my first odd shaped guitar and I love it! I could never play a Strat style again. The comfort is just awesome, and I never expected it. I was going to get a V style, but I know they're hard to sit with, so I got this, and I'm glad I did. // 10

WRMG Warrior Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 27, 2006

Features: 2001 model, first year they made em in a decade I think. This is the second to best of the Warriors, being second to the USA made WR1 which has neck-through-body. This ones a bolt on maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, alder body. 24 jumbos, easy to feel, good for speed. Double locking tremelo (floyd rose) which I'm still undecided on how much I like as apposed to the string through body. Neck and fingerbord are unfinished, no shiny crap on this one! Except for the body: high gloss gold/bronze with metal flake, black hardware, looks freakin wicked! 2 EMG pickups: passive 81 at the bridge and an active (9V pre amp) 85 at the neck, covered humbuckers. 3-way Switch, volume, tone, and turbo vol (for the active EMG). // 8

Sound: This is not a mere guitar, this is an AXE. It is clearly design to be ripped on like a freakin chainsaw. I'm diehard metal and that's what this thing is designed for: speed and vicious, crushing noise. The body of this guitar will throw alot of people off, 'till they strap it on (that is if you strap it on properly, not designed for hanging down by your damn ankles like a slob). The top cut forms to your body very comfortably and the huge wing at the top has a purpose. If it's strapped on properly, and youre looking to shred in a technical way (tremelo picking and whatnot) you will find that your wrist sits perfectly on that wing and alows you to float your pick hand over the strings, perfect! Its light weight, very well ballanced and quite simply looks awesome. It has a natural tendency towards low end, meaty sound, but dialed in properly, has that sharp rasping crunch as well. The EMG combo (Zach Wilde uses the same setup) alows for change from more muted rhythm sound to pronounced soloing sound on the fly. The turbo nob makes a difference for sure. No stupid squeeling sounds when youre not touching it, for the most part. Right now all I have to play it through is a Roland Cube 15 practice amp (another piece of hardware I'm pleased with) and it still sounds awesome through it. I hooked it up to a 300W Peavee cabinet and it sounded glorious, and that was with built in effects. I'm dying to hear this thing throug a Crate or Marshall stack with professional grade distortion effects. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As stated this is a 2001 model. It sat in a shop for 5 years waiting for fate to bring it to my hands through eBay. It came to me in need of new strings and a setup so I can't comment on that. As far as quality, pretty damn good considering the Japs slapped it together. Looks solid, feels solid, plays solid. Quality woods and harware. The neck on this thing is strait, very thin and is flattended where your fret hand thumb sits again speed! The floyd rose takes a good amount of experiemtation to set up properly, look it up for details. Tends to be a pain in the ass, but once its set up right, the action is pretty tight. I'm at ~1.25mm at the 12th fret. Speed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't doubt this guitars integrity. Once it's in tune, which like I said takes awile, it stays in tune. I'm diggin the fine tuners at the bridge. // 10

Overall Impression: Again I play metal. I live for it. Everthing from power, to death, to thrash, to good old heavy metal. My specific influences: Sinister, Krabathor, Deicide, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Helloween, Manowar, Annihilator, Metal Church, Demons and Wizards, Falconer etc. Anything that is truely metal. Non of that new age BS (what I consider modern day hairband/cheesemetal) old school all the way MF! As such I did my research before selecting this axe. This is it gentlemen, certainly there're better guitars out there but for the $ can't beat it. I love how this thing looks, feels, and plays. Makes me want to play more often and for longer periods. Jackson makes some good stuff at a reaonable price, check em out. I've heard that even their cheap version (made in India) which I think goes for $300, is a lot of bang for your buck. // 9

WRMG Warrior Reviewed by: SyStEmFiGhTeR, on april 15, 2006

Purchased from: Kentucky Music Co.

Features: My Warrior was made in India. 24 medium jumbo frets. Solid top. Black. Looks like an X, has parts that jut way out. string thru body. Volume, tome, 3-way selector. CVR20 humbuckers I think, something like that. Non-locking tuner. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of grunge, and SOAD, and other stuff, like some reasonably soft, and other hardcore metal. I use a 60 watt Crate amp. I have like 16 effects on my amp. On extreme OD and/or on my death metal pedal it's not buzzy but it's loud and great sound. Great for OD and distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great action. Pickups were fine when I got it, some adjusting required though, depends what your playing. bridge was fine, Jacksons usually need neck adjustments. Great guitar, nothing really wrong with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a great show guitar to play during gigs, people go crazy seeing it, really hardcore look. Sounds good even with lots of wattage and additional speakers. Should last a long time, nothing to worry about. I always bring a backup to a gig incase a string breaks or sumthin but nothing really electronically will go wrong with it during a gig. Finish should be fine, shows fingerprints and stuff like that bad though. // 10

Overall Impression: Metal, grunge, stuff like that. Very very very good match, true love. A few years. I have a 60 watt crate amp. Ibanez GRX20. Fender Jaguar. Small clone pedal, death metal pedal, bad monkey pedal, grunge pedal. No, just play it before you buy to make sure you like it, I did. I definitely would buy another if something happened to it, but mines got a good warranty on it. Everything, the look, the action, the feel, just a great guitar to play with. Don't really hate anything about it. My favorite feature is my humbuckers were custom and have built in distortion and I got mine to where my tone dial is now a wah, extremely awesome. Yeh I compared it to some Randy Rhoads guitar but I couldn't sit down and play it so I didn't like it, uhhh some other Ibanez's and a few Jackson Dinky's. This one just fit me the best for the gigs I play and music styles. // 10

WRMG Warrior Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 09, 2006

Features: The guitar is beautiful, it gets dirty very easily but it's also very easy to clean. The body is extremely lightweight and the neck is really thin, very fast. But here are the downsides to it: It goes out of tune almost constantly, I literally tune it, plug it, and it is already out of tune, I'm not joking. It also doesn't always respond to what you play, at first I thought it was the battery, but I switched it out and it still didn't work. I'll be rather honest with you, the first time you play it, it will be a wonderful experience, but after a while, you grow bored and move on. It's moderately priced, so it's really not a big deal in that category, but then again I will be calling Jackson for my refund. // 6

Sound: When the guitar does work properly it sounds great, it has a great cutting edge for lead, and a low crunchy tone for rhythm, which surprised me because of it's lightweight. It can be as loud as you need it to be, with the right equipment, but it can maintain a quiet sound without sacrificing any tone. The clean channel is also incredibely clear and has great tone. It can go from raw and cutting to low and crunchy with the flick of a switch and turn of a knob. Keep in mind though that the sound doesn't always work like it should. The rating is an 8 for when it does work, but not a 10 because, as I said, it doesn't always work. As a lead singer and lead guitarist in a thrash metla band, this suits my needs, when it freeking works. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall the finish is gorgeous. Everything appears to be in it's place, but as we already know, something is wrong.Just so readers don't think it is only my axe that's not working, I have had similar experiences on friend's Warriors. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstood somewhere around 20 shows or so without a problem, but after that it went downhill. The hardware is a focal point of the guitar, stainless steel. The strap buttons are extremely thick and dependable, I have yet to drop it and I have not put straplocks on it yet. As for would I play it live without a backup, no, not by any means, especially after my dissappointing experience with it. As a matter of fact, I only use it when recording lead guitar tracks, excellent cut. // 6

Overall Impression: I play in a thrash metal band, and as I have already said, when it works..the guitar is truly a fine piece of work, buyt for the most part there eems to be something missing. I wish I could find out what it is because I would love to begin playing it only a normal basis, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. I have owned it for about 4 years, and it was my main guitar for a year and a half. However, I got pissed off with it's unreliability and bought a Studio Gibson Les Paul, it's been my main guitar ever since, no backups on stage, and no problems. Pros: body, pickups, sound quality (when it decides to work), tone control, floyd rose. Cons: it goes out of tune constantly (in the time it has taken you to read this sentence, the guitar has gone out of tune), gets dirty easily, not worth $699.99, basically Jackson made a rare mistake. // 5

WRMG Warrior Reviewed by: Karlboy, on january 22, 2009

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: I just bought an '08 WRMG Warrior, and I'm going to tell you that it exceeded my expectations. The Warrior is a 24-fret, Standard 25.5" scale guitar. The body is made of alder, while the neck is made of maple, with a bound rosewood fingerboard. The body style somewhat resembles an 'X' and looks really great. It's also surprisingly comfortable to play for such an oddly-shaped guitar. It comes with a liscenced Floyd. Despite the fact that some of these Floyd spin-offs aren't nearly as good as an Original Floyd, this bridge stays in tune extremely well. This is an "I'm going to whammy the living crap out of you like Steve Vai, and you're going to stay in tune whether you like it or not!" kind of bridge. It comes loaded with an EMG 85 in the neck, which is complimented (as with many EMG-loaded guitars) with an 81 in the bridge. It's a classic combination, and it works very well. There is a three-way blade Switch, and a master tone and volume knob. // 9

Sound: I play a variety of music. I mainly play progressive styles (more prog-metal than rock however), but also play a lot of general metal and rock, blues, jazz, classical and funk. I play it through either a small Vox (Pathfinder series), my Marshall AVT50, or my GNX directly into powered speakers (or either of my amps). Normally, it's not too noisy, but the factory set-up did not provide the best wiring (more on that in the next paragraph). The alder body gives it a very nice Strat-ish tone when you boost the mids, and along with the EMGs, give a VERY clear and articulated sound. This guitar performs extremely well under any gain settings, but on clean channels, the EMGs' power gives the guitar a bit of Hot-Rail Syndrome and sounds distorted. This can be somewhat solved by rounding off the tone knob, but the guitar should still be used for mid-high gain settings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately, there were some aspects of the factory set-up that disappointed me. Though most of it was completely fine, the wiring was not done very well. Occasionally, while switching to my bridge pickup, it won't be there. The pickups will also sometimes emit a LOT of noise, but this is partially due to faulty patchcords that I have to use sometimes. The volume pot also creates a lot of static while adjusting it (once again, only occasionally), which is unacceptable. The bridge was routed beautifully, was intonated to damned near-perfection and the action was incredible. The craftsmanship on this guitar (aside from the electronics) was very good, but electric guitars should have properly installed electronics... // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has proved durable so far (the fact *I've* owned it for all of a month and it still actually looks new is jaw-dropping alone). The hardware seems like it will last a good while. As for reliability: during a Live application, I'd still bring a backup due to the Murphy's Law-like nature of active pickups' batteries dying out at the absolute WORST possible times (even after switching batteries just before gigs). Lastly, though I'm not one to complain about a scratch on my guitar, the finish seems durable and relatively resistant to scratching. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for seven years, and will play for anywhere from an hour to five hours (or more on special occasions) a day. I also own a Mexi-Built Strat (which I've customized and won't elaborate on) and various other instruments. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy a different guitar for sheer experimental purposes. The only thing I wish it had was an Original Floyd or a fixed bridge, because with double-locking trems I believe the clich "Go big or go home" applies. Metal guitarists also have a tendency to use alternate (meaning really, really low [verging on Baritone] tunings) and change a lot, and the Floyd is a huge pain to deal with. Fixed bridges provide more comfort and sustain, but sometimes have uncomfortable saddles to play with and can't make that splendid "Gueee!!!" sound that the Floyd is famous for. Though my guitar has given me some minor troubles, I'm sure that it's not a constant among all WRMG Warriors and I'm also sure that any gain-whore will love this guitar as much as I do. // 10

WRMG Warrior Reviewed by: Ankou, on april 01, 2006

Purchased from: www.Gak.co.uk

Features: 24 frets, made of rosewood. Also has volume, tone and gain control knobs. This model of the Warrior came with a floating tremolo bridge, lock system and EMG-HZ active pickups as standard. Only a three way picukup selector on it. I don't know where it was made, but hot damn, this thing looks the dog's testes. Offset X shape, on the site I bought it off there was a selection of black or blue colours, and see through red if I remember. // 10

Sound: I play a range of music including classic rock, Irish traditional (yep, it can do this as well) etc. but mostly (obviously) metal in the vein of Mnemic and Strapping Young Lad. I use it through a Marshall MGDFX250 (hopefully selling it soon though) with n effects pedals. The humbuckers obviously reduce hum a lot and the EMG's are great at giving a good tone, however with the gain control up full with a lot of gain it can sometimes get a little sloppy sounding. It works great on the clean channel as well, giving a nice rich sound. It caters for full bass sounds right up to high end notes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the fit and finish were superb (someone managed to chip the paint at the back though, very annoyed). The action was also how I like it. It still hasn't needed adjustment, but after a while of playing it I needed to intonate the high E string. The only qualm I have is that the volume control knob was very loose, but this was nothing a screwdriver couldn't solve. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think it would definately withstand live playing. I played it once at a gig for almost three hours solid and it still played like a dream. The floating trem appears solid and I don't think any hardware is going anywhere anytime soon. I would use it, but I'd keep another guitar in backup as you just never know. // 9

Overall Impression: As I play metal this guitar is great for it. I think this thing was designed for the sole purpose of playing metal (much like most of the Jackson range, I think). The other electrics I own are a Marlin Strat copy and an Ibanez EX-270. The Ibanez did served me a long time, but now I hardly glance at it. I've been playing for 11 years and this guitar is one of the best I have ever played. I decided to buy this guitar as I was growing bored and sickened of the Super-Strat shapes available and wanted something with a bit more style (but not a BC Rich). If someone did steal this, I think it really would spark off World War Three. I love this guitar too much to see it leave. But obviously I'd buy it again, then I'd have two! // 10

WRMG Warrior Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2007

Purchased from: Dream Music Sydney

Features: I have a 2005 WRMG Warrior. They still had the HZ's in them back then, with the Turbocharger whatever thing in em. I think it's an Alder body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. 3 way blade pickup switch which annoys me a bit, since a toggle is a lot easier to change. 1 master vol and 1 master tone, with the 3rd knob being the gain thingy. Pulling it out turns it on, and turning it controls how much extra gain you get. 24 jumbo frets, Jackson Floyd, Neck and headstock binding, bolt-on neck. No accesories. Jackson tuners, solid black gloss finish, compound radius on the neck. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal, hard rock, instrumental stuff. The HZ's sound awesome on distortion, but are a bit weak on clean. If you put it through some pedal like a chorus I'm sure the clean would improve heaps. You can tell Metallica use EMG's for their clean sounds, the tone is similar. I never use the tone knob cos I hate it, but the neck pickup is great for sweeping and solos, and the bridge gives the cutting rhythm for metal. It doesn't hum when it's put through my Metalzone, except for when you put the gain knob up to about halfway, with the distortion on max. Any band that uses EMG's, you should be able to get that tone from this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Awesome action and feel from the get go. I bought it from a really good music shop so it was even in tune, and the strings were worn in a little. I lowered the action a bit cos I like it nice and low. It still doesn't buzz, but it doesn't have as much sustain on the really high frets, and bends on the 24th tend to conk out unless you're pushing the strings really hard. Nothing has rusted, but one of the knobs got a little loose. This was easily fixed myself. The Floyd can be set up however you want. When I first had it, it was set so I could pull up on the bridge and it would bend about a 3rd above the original note. I could pull back until the bridge hit the body and the strings still didn't snap or even go out of tune. I tried restringing this guitar myself once, and failed miserably. The floating bridge means that tuning one string up drops all the other ones. If you like changing tunings often, don't get a floating bridge. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing, as it's obviously meant to. Strap buttons are sturdy. Stays in tune, when set up right. I've bumped it a couple of times and no paint chipped of, but I'm very careful with it since it is a very easy guitar to bump, since the giant back wing where your right arm goes is huge. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing a 2 years, and this was my first decent guitar. It tottally kicks arse. It's definitely a shred machine, but can handle clean as well. It just looks a bit stupid playing a really soft song on a guitar that's meant to kill people. If it was stolen, I would buy a different Jackson, probably a kelly because it has Seymours. // 9

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ KE3 Kelly 8.8 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014