WRXT X Warrior Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 04/30/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: WRXT X Warrior
Basswood body (with flame maple veneer on trans finishes), bolt-on maple neck, compound radius rosewood fingerboard, Duncan Designed Detonator humbucking pickups, Jackson double-locking tremolo and chrome hardware.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.6
 Features: 8.4
 8.5
 8.2
 8.8
reviews (5) 16 comments vote for this gear:
WRXT X Warrior Reviewed by: Metalbush, on july 16, 2008

Purchased from: Stagebeat

Features: Made in Japan around 2006. It's got a Floyd Rose licensed Jackson low profile JT580 LP double locking 2-point tremolo bridge which is superb and two passive Duncan Designed Detonator Humbucking Pickups. The controls are simple 3-way pickup selector, tone and volume knobs. Jackson non-locking Diecast tuners. 24 Jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with a compound radius of 14-16. Bolt-on rock maple neck and basswood body and Chrome hardware. Black, blue or red in solid colours and blue and red in transparent finishes. // 10

Sound: I am using it with a Marshall MG100DFX and a Zoom 505II. It makes a nice clean sound which is suprising condsidering the pickups which are made to be powerfull passive pickups. Nice mellow sound at the neck and a biting trebly tone with the bridge which is very clear. distortion sounds are crazy, a good kind of crazy! The bridge is not too bass heavy which I like nice and choppy while the neck has a wonderful mellow lead tone. There is something missing though sometimes the pickups sound a little unclear or not very responsive yet this could be the Zoom, tis not very good. It suites my style which is heavy metal, but wonderful clean sounds. I play a lot more acoustic and clean stuff because if that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set a little high and the tone and volume pots were loose no probs though. The pickups were set fine and the finish was perfect. Obviously it was my first floyd and was confusing a first. The output jack came loose within a day but a pair of pliers sorted. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The axe is built like an axe I'd trust it at any gig! Everything is solid apart from the trem bar which has seemed to warp over time well the way I divebomb it's understandable. The trem, tuners and pots should last years if looked after but it there will be rust over time. The finish seems strong enough mind one of the corners on the top horn is chipped, but I did bash it against the wall (butter fingers). // 8

Overall Impression: I love it my first floyd and I am impressed! Stays in tune no matter what, lovely jubbly. I have the Jackson Warrior JS30WR which I had before this one, love that too. I love the shape pointy and practicle. The only thing I would change would be the pickups maybe better seymours. I've been playing for 3 years and this is the best guitar I own perfect for my style I urge anyone Who hasn't played with this hape to do so you may like it. // 9

WRXT X Warrior Reviewed by: ZMichelin32, on october 06, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The WRXT Warrior Jackson is made in Japan, It has 24 frets, has Shark fin inlays, has a Jackson Floyd Rose bridge (stays in tune forever). For tone control or pick-up selector you get a 3-way Switch. The pick-ups are Duncan designed pick-ups. I got mine in black and it only came with the guitar and the tremolo. This was my first Floyd Rose so I quickly found out the difficulties of tuning the guitar, it took me a while to get it just right but when I did it rarely loses it's tune! A lot off people have troubles with their strumming position because of how the fine tune pins stick out, but if you unscrew the back you can change the angle of the Bridge to whatever's comfortable to your position. Also the bridge has pins that lower and raise the bridge itself to change the distance of the strings from the frets. That helps take away the buzzing if they're to close But adds better hammer-ons - Pull-offs when closer. Over-all the bridge is very customizable, the only problem I have with it is the difficulty of changing strings and tuning from d to e. All hardware is chrome. // 9

Sound: The Duncan designed Detonators left me a little skeptical about how the guitar would sound but they really surprised me for not being "real" Seymour Duncans, they sound similar to Seymour Duncan JB's but heavier. I play through a Washburn Bad Dog 10w and a Zoom G1X multi-effects pedal because I'm poor (I've been saving for the guitar for a while) but I think everything sounds great! The factory strings weren't great so I change them quickly! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came packaged absolutely perfect not a finger print on it, all knobs, switches, and pick-ups were set in with no flaw. Paint was perfect, no scratches. The wood feels great quality. As soon as I plugged it in I felt as if I were holding a real guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels as if it would last me forever (with proper care of course). The screws holding the strap buttons came loose quick but with a screwdriver once that never happened again. It feels very reliable and I would definitely gig with it (if I was good enough). For an extreme shape it fits perfectly and comfortably in your lap if your feeling lazy. The guitar is pretty light and good for extended standing play. Paint is strong and hasn't scratched yet (everyone seems to chip the longest extending end but I haven't "yet"). // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play thrash metal and other types of metal and the Detonators have a great bridge setting for some metal crunch, and great sustain. They also have an awesome clean sound for either a little blues or Metallica clean then engage your distortion and murder it. If something happened to this guitar I would without a doubt get it again. I love everything about, there is nothing to hate. I've been playing for about 2 years now. I decided to go with Jackson because I loved their necks and heads, they feel so comfortable and fast and overall best for metal. But I wanted a guitar that sticks out and I don't like V-shapes, so I was torn between the Ibanez Xiphos and The Warriors. Jackson in my opinion beats Ibanez in metal (don't get me wrong I love Ibanez) because Ibanezes tone lack "color" if you know what I mean, they are just pure power and distortion friendly. Jackson guitars make real music, I was very impressed with this guitar I would recommend it to everyone that plays! Worth every cent and more! // 10

WRXT X Warrior Reviewed by: megaironpriest, on october 26, 2009

Price paid: C$ 900

Purchased from: Music Stop

Features: This is my second guitar, but whoa. My first was an Ibanez which was a good starting guitar but this took me to the next level. The Jackson Warrior is a 24 fret guitar, jumbo frets as well. I was scared at first when I heard the term but I can't Live without them now, they really are good for my style. The pickups are humbuckers, Duncan designed, with a three way selector for bridge, middle and neck. The switches work nicely, and the chrome looks great with the red body. I went for transpartent myself but there also come in other colors to that look great! It has a Floyd Rose copy bridge. It is confusing as hell and I almost regretted getting at first but now that I have gotten used to fixing it, its not a problem at all and its worth the effort. One more note the guitar came with a gig bag which is really nice. I wasn't aware that it came with one but its really nice to look at and fits the guitar great. // 9

Sound: I play metal, metal and more, no not metal but hard rock. It can really blast out riffs like a god. The palm muting comes though the pickups like a dream and you can really get the chugging noise that metal players want. It can handle distrotion very well. I was playing though a Line 6 spider 3(yea I know) but I have picked up a spider valve about 2 weeks ago and the sound quality has improved so much I can't even play my other amp anymore. I can get a good hard rock tone for it to. It sounds good playing some stuff but when you play big open powerchord like AC-DC I find it get to be a bit muddy. The guitar isn't built for that though, just look at it. I got this to be a metal guitar and it does a amazing job at it. The cleans are good, I don't use them that much though(not having a footpedal for that sucks). When I do play some though it sounds good. I can't really judge for stuff like blues as I only play a little bit but for metal clean tones like Metallica it can cover pretty well. If you are looking for a guitar that can cover every style this way not be for you. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setting where good, I didn't have a major problem with them. The action was a bit to high but that way have just been me. I readjusted them to my liking which ended up screwing everything up... Once again boys and girls don't buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose unless you want to put alot of time into getting it just right. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would have no problem playing this guitar Live. I haven't played a live show yet, but I hope to soon. My only problem would be if my bridge wasn't set right and I messed up the tuning mid song or something to that effect. I would probably use a backup just in case. The finish is good, I have chipped it in a few places but that is my fault. Clumsy people be warned DO NOT BUY THIS GUITAR, you will break off all the arms in a week. The one problem I do have is one of the screws holding the bridge in worn away at the wood and caused some major problems. I don't know if it was me that caused it though tinking, but I am contacting Jackson about it. Currently I have a paper clip in there to keep it in place. Also the bridge is rusting quite fast which is starting to scare me as I don't really want to have to pay to replace it. It could be where I live to though as some strings will rust on me in a week, so I have to play elixars. // 4

Overall Impression: For me this is a perfect match style wise. My band has a 80's NWOBHM sound with a bit of trash and hair metal. It is great for those styles but I won't recommend it for a rock guitarist or blues etc. I don't see why they would want one anyways, I can't really picture a blues guy coming out with warrior. I've been playing for 8 months but I am a serious play, no crap. I play for 4-5 hours a day and am hoping to get somewheres with my playing. I can see how this guitar has helped me improve. Playing it though my spider valve is like a dream because I can play mostly any of the presets and it sounds just like the original which is great. I kind of wish it had a kill Switch but that can be fixed with some simple modding. I would probably buy a new one, or maybe a Jackson Kelly not because I don't like the guitar but I like to keep changing because I like looking at new guitars. Overall it is a great guitar and I would suggest trying one out and compare it to others. I just loved the feel of the guitar has whole, every little piece of it. No its not perfect (what guitar is) but if you are in love with metal check it out. // 9

WRXT X Warrior Reviewed by: tasanhalas, on january 13, 2010

Price paid: € 470

Purchased from: O Maestro

Features: I think it's from 2008 or 2009, made in Japan. 24 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard. It has basswood body and a bolt-on maple neck. I choose the cobalt blue one. With Duncan Designed Detonator humbuckers and a Jackson double-locking tremolo. One volume, one tone, 3 way switch. // 6

Sound: I play mostly metal, and that's what is was built for( and it can even get some beautiful cleans). It suits my style really well, high output and good definition. Although I expected more from the Neck pick-up. I play it trough a MT-2 and Mg30DFX, and I can really achieve some powerful sound. I've played it trough a Engl head, and it was awesome. I think I'll be crucified for this but, after playing the Engl with it I tried a Jackson with 81\85 and the sound wasn't much superior. They are still passive, "design by" pickups... But for what they cost, they are great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It came almost perfect from factory, the action was just a little too high for my liking, and because the bridge was already all the way down, there is nothing I can do to change it. But it still really good. The pickups were fine, I just elevated the neck-one a bit. The Floyd Rose is brilliant, if you dont use it, the guitar will stay in tune for weeks, being played every day. And even you you use regularly, not going nuts with it, it will stay in tune just fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It will definitely withstand live playing. I've hit the wall and furniture with its horns(Attention its really easy to do this), and besides some scratches nothing happen. The only time it hit the ground(the floor was slippery and I leaned it against a wall), I just picked it up and it was like nothing had happen. I'd gig without a backup. I've had for almost 2 years and the pickups are getting a little rusty.. // 9

Overall Impression: I really love it, I think its the best for its price. If you want something that will last you "forever", and has a good sound, it's a good choice. Good hardware and craftsmanship. I played a similar priced RG, the sound was a little more aggressive but it seems less durable overall. // 7

WRXT X Warrior Reviewed by: WarriorArtist94, on april 30, 2010

Purchased from: Ordered direct from Jackson via local music store

Features: My model was made in japan in 2007. It's got 24 jumbo frets on a 25.5" scale maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It's a solid top guitar made from alder so it's pretty light, with the aforementioned maple neck, which is bolted on. The finish comes in red gloss, blue gloss, and black red or blue flamed maple. The body style is a giveaway to the metal style, like a sharpened-up Explorer with a section removed from the tail. It balances a treat and you can sit with it like a Strat or a V, although the jack can dig in during the latter. Also, the jack is set into the body so right-angle leads won't always fit. Some of the edges are bevelled which looks cool, and the corners are designed to match the headstock. It comes with a Jackson low profile locking tremolo as Standard and a locking nut to match. The electronics are all passive, and nice and simple: 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3 way toggle selector for the duncan designed detonator pickups, which are pretty bog-standard. All in all it's pretty good, and what i expected for the money. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal stlye, and this is what the guitar is clearly built for. I'm currently using it with a Line 6 spider IV 75 which isn't an amazing amp, but I've played through my bandmate's Marshall JVM410 half stack on multiple occasions and that is really something. On this amp the guitar sounded pretty sweet, not a huge amount of fuzz either which is good. The midrange came through like I wanted it to and the solos had plenty of sustain on both amps. I've only played the spider 4 at high volumes, since my bandmate was using his stack, and I have to say there was a lot of feedback even standing far away and facing away from the amp, although this could easily be the amp itself. The guitar can handle plenty of tones although it benefits from at least the gain knob on 3. The cleans aren't great due to not being able to split the humbuckers but I expected that. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up relatively well from the factory, came out of tune because you're supposed to detune a guitar before transit but once I tuned it up the neck was pretty straight and the trem was level with the body. The pickups were set ok, I raised them at a later time though. At one point the lower screw for raising the pickup fell out at the bridge pickup which caused it to sink in and to fix it I had to take all the strings off (not great with a trem, which also has small oxidation spots on it after about a year) and get the pickup out of the body. I've also had to replace the trem blocks after almost a year (weren't holding the high E securely) but other than that the guitar came and held up great. Basically it's a sweet guitar let down by the poor tremolo, which I'd reccomend replacing. I'd have done it myself by now if not for my lack of using the trem declaring it a waste of money. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged countless time with this guitar and it's always held out fantastically, with all the hardware working awesomely. The strap buttons are huge too, and where they are it's hard to twist your strap so it falls off. I've never taken a backup to a gig before because I've always felt pretty safe to be honest, it's a reliable axe. The finish is pretty thick, which is fortunate since the fins can often get knocked and scratched. Or maybe that's cause I was drunk that night. Uhuh. // 9

Overall Impression: As said before I play in a metal band and it suits it great. I've been playing for just over 2 years and this guitar is a great upgrade but a bit pricey for a first guitar. I also own a GRG series Ibanez and the neck is nearly as fast, although Jackson never have matched Ibanez for speed in my opinion. If the guitar got lost or stolen then I could see the point in buying it again, but for personal reasons (lost interest in trems) I'd probably buy a different guitar, even if it was the same price. If anything I wish it had some better pickups and a real Flord but other than that it's a pretty solid guitar. // 8

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014