Deimos - Korina Review

manufacturer: Jaden Rose date: 03/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jaden Rose: Deimos - Korina
I love the simplicity of this guitar because to me it feels so much more pure to play. This guitar sounds absolutely killer. I mostly play metal along the lines of All Shall Perish and Machine Head and it suits my style perfectly.
 8.5
 7.9
review (1) pictures (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Deimos - Korina Reviewed by: thegazzman, on march 16, 2012

Purchased from: Jaden Rose guitars

Features: This guitar was made in 2011 in England. It features: - A book matched 2 piece Korina body - 25.5 inch bolt-on Korina and Bubinga 3 laminate singe piece neck - 24 jumbo Dunlop frets - Rosewood fingerboard - Cosmo black Grover hardware - Dimarzio D'Activator neck and bridge pickups - 1 volume/1 tone and 3 way toggle selector controls - Custom fit hardshell case. I love the simplicity of this guitar because to me it feels so much more pure to play. However I know that alot of people prefer to have that extra control offered by extra tone/volume controles or a 5-way selector so I will give it an 8 out of fairness. // 8

Sound: This guitar sounds absolutely killer. I mostly play metal along the lines of All Shall Perish and Machine Head and it suits my style perfectly. I play through an Engl Powerball 100 with no effects running, the sound is tight, full, clear, articulated and extremely aggressive on the bridge and warm and smooth on the neck, it is also quiet as a mouse on even the high gain settings. I bought this guitar to be an extreme metal maker but it also has a wonderful bell like clean tone, particularly through the neck pickup. Because of how well the sound suits my play style and also because of how diverse it can be I give this section a 10. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory was as good as it gets, I went to the factory myself when I was choosing a new guitar and spoke to Jaden Rose himself at great length about pretty much all aspects of guitar in general and he set it up exactly how I like it, lovely and low but without buzz and ton of tension. All the hardware was sound, there were no finish flaws because its just a natural oil finish, the wood was excellent quality (handpicked by Jaden Rose himself) the frets are beautifully rounded and fitted. The pickups were also set up to the perfect hight, all the routing was perfect and it was book matched so well that for weeks after purchase I was convinced it was 1 piece of wood. I know I sound like a fanboy or employee now but that's the kind of quality you get when you go to an independent manufacturer, you pay top dollar for top quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think the electronics could stand up to a nuclear blast, I've had the guitar 4 months now and the dials are still tight as a drum. The hardware is also of equal quality, the cosmo black finish on the metal hasn't even started to ware yet which surprised me because I have an LTD something with the same kind of hardware finish except in gum-metal grey and that wore off after a month and the silver coating underneath within another year (maybe I have very caustic sweat?) and the strap buttons are huge, I usually replace them but I don't feel I need to on this which is good because I can't be bothered. However the same cannot be said about the finish, because of the oil finish small scratches and dents don't really show you unless your really close or looking for them, which is good because the wood is so soft you can mark it with a fingernail, I take very good care of my instruments and still have accumulated quite a few dings in this guitar, still as long as the neck remains unharmed it doesn't matter too much. This is the price of korina because it is so light and produces such a tight sound it is not very dense at all. This is not true of other Jaden Rose guitars, it is solely because of the wood selection on mine and I was in fact warned by Jaden Rose about it being soft but I decided to proceed anyway because of the tightness in the sound given by the Korina. I would play this without a backup but I wouldn't recommend doing so under any circumstance. I will give a 7 because although the hardware is sound the wood is soft. // 7

Overall Impression: As previously stated I play mostly metal and that is what this guitar was designed to do, I've been playing about 5 years and love how natural and raw the sound is, I run no pedals or effects, just strait into my Engl. I have no regrets about my purchase as I spent a good 2 weeks trying it and talking to Jaden Rose at leased every other day, I asked every question imaginable and he was extremely helpful and patient. My favorite feature has got to be the neck, its very thin, almost like an Ibanez buy has more meat to it than that so you don't feel like you're playing a piece of paper with frets on it and I also love the natural feel it has with the oil finish and no laminate. If it were stolen I would try my very hardest to replace it but I could only afford this in the first place because Jaden Rose was moving shop and having a clearance sale. Anything I wish it had? A twin! // 10

Comments