Demon ST Review

Jaxville: Demon ST
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Demon ST Reviewed by: FingerFud, on august 23, 2012

Purchased from: Argos

Features: This guitar was made in China. I'm not sure when or where it was made. This is just your basic, simple Fender Strat copy. It has 22 medium Frets and the bolt-on neck is made of Maple with a Rosewood fingerboard. The body is made from Basswood and features a custom laminated paint job which is appealing to many many aspiring teenage guitarists like myself. This was my very first guitar which I got over a year ago for doing well in my exams. The guitar usually comes in a pack with a Rockburn amp, strap, bag, DVD and extra strings but I just got the guitar on it's own which came with online lessons and the spare strings. The guitar contains passive electronics with 1 volume, two tone controls and a 5 way selector switch for the SSS pickup configuration. The guitar is really heavy for a Strat style for which, I think the paint job is to blame for. // 7

Sound: The look of the guitar makes you think it was designed for heavy metal but it's actually not that bad for it which is quite surprising for a cheap Strat copy. It fit's my music style okay. I play alot of heavy metal but I can't complain on the sound quality for it, it's average for me. I also play alot of Muse and some punk rock. It fits them very well. This is now my secondary guitar.I use it in Drop C and sounds amazing when the selector switch is at number 2. I play this on a Line 6 Spider III 30 using an Electro-Harmonix Micro Metal Muff and in Dtop tunings, sounds pretty impressive compared to other Strats I've used. This guitar isn't all that noisy and when on clean settings has a nice warm sound when playing acoustic stuff. There isn't much variety of sounds with this guitar unless you want to actually take the time to find a sound that you like from it. The first amp I got was a crappy crappy cheap 50 watt Argos make amp. It sounded terrible through it and I though it was the guitar itself so I hate this for a while but until I got my Line 6 Spider, I fell in love with the guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was poorly set up at the factory with the action being terrible but I gave it to my guitar teacher and he sorted it all out for me. If you were to get this brand new, I'd highly recommend getting it set-up before you do anything as it is desperately needed out the box. The guitar contained a few flaws. On the lower frets on the neck, it looked like some random person took some sandpaper to it which kind of put me off the guitar when I first got it. The pickup selector switch is very stiff. The bridge was too much into the wood and when using the Tremolo arm, it was very difficult to bend it and gave you a sense that the bridge was going to rip the wood apart but again, I've got that sorted. Some of the frets were very very poorly done, on the 7th fret, the high E strings keeps getting caught under it and gets really annoying. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged with this guitar but I'm sure it might just withstand live playing but I would always bring a back up anyways. The guitar is strong is hell! The finish will last a very long time in my opinion. I've only ever had just one tiny tiny chip next to the input jack which was because I dropped a screwdriver on it. The strap buttons aren't that very solid, they come loose every now and again but its very easy to fix. // 7

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play, it's a good match. As I said before I use it in Drop C and it's sounds great in it! I really can't complain. I've been using this guitar for over a year and it's stayed strong since then. I only choose this guitar because I never knew anything about guitars before I got this and I really liked the paint job on it. My primary guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat, I prefer that guitar over this one as it sounds alot better, it's lighter, more reliable and feels better to play. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy another one because it was my first guitar and it feels like a very special first guitar for me. What I love about this is that it feels nice to play when using a low action and low gauge strings. My favourite feature is the paint job because it looks well, detailed and overall awesome but what I hate about the guitar is how badly it was made and set up as I explained earlier. So again I'd highly recommend getting this guitar set up straight away after buying this. // 8

Comments