JT-133 Review

manufacturer: Jay Turser date: 05/17/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jay Turser: JT-133
JT-133 is a semi-hollow body, jazz box style electric guitar. Arched top, thin-line body, decorative tail piece. Double "F" hole.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Features: 8.4
 8.1
 8.6
 7.5
reviews (5) 7 comments vote for this gear:
JT-133 Reviewed by: wholovestheKGB?, on march 27, 2006

Purchased from: www.music123.com

Features: This is a new JT-133 purchased from Music123.com. Its features include a set maple neck-kind of thin, painted black. It's a semi-hollow (335 copy), which is pretty cool. In the off-chance you were going to use this thing for metal, reconsider. This, like all semi-hollows I've ever heard of, feeds back uncontrollably in high gain applications. We have two no-name humbuckers here-pretty decent. Clear, kind of old-school sounding. Not muddy. 22 frets. Laminated maple top, body, and sides. Binding on everything, don't like that so much, but it's ok. // 7

Sound: I'm using this through a Vox Pathfinder 15R, and an Ibanez Toneblaster halfstack. No effects. Really cool tone, especially for the money. Nice blues tone with either pickup. Fat with substantial cut, everybody's gotta love that. Sounds very rich. Not a particularly noisy guitar, with the humbuckers and all. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Good action, great factory setup. Can't say that about my Tele or Strat. I bought this guitar for the Gibson scale, and this guitar plays really well. Decent fret job, not much buzzing at all. This guitar does have a sloppy finish. I don't care so much about that. All the hardware is pretty cool, except the tuners. The tuners blow. Actually, the nut is not so great either. It's cut improperly, and pings when you're tuning up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's hollow so be gentle. This guitar should last as long as any other semi-hollow ever. pretty big strap buttons, not worried about a fall. I'm not so sure playing live without a backup is a good idea, but I'd be as comfortable with this as with anything else. Finish should take abuse well, but its nothing special so if it gets a little screwed up, it's no big loss. // 7

Overall Impression: I play anything in the blues/rock area, to which this is well fitted. My other guitars are a Fender American Tele, a '50s Re-issue Strat, a '60s Ventura Classical, a POS Fender acoustic, an Ibanez Jetking, a Galveston Tele clone, and a Strat-ish something from the '70s that as far as the rest of the world is concerned, doesn't exist. This is a alot of crap, and this guitar measures up to everything else I have. At 130 dollars, it's the best deal amongst my instruments. You should buy this. // 9

JT-133 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2004

Purchased from: Corans Music

Features: I don't know when or where it was made but I bought it used so I got it cheaper than regular price its a 600 dollar guitar but I got it at half price. The features include: - Double cutaway; - Arched top - semi hollow; - Thin-line body; - Maple set neck; - Rosewood fingerboard; - 2 humbucking pickups; - 2 volume, 2 tone controls; - Stop tail piece; - Die-cast machines I think the person who owned it before me may have changed the tuning machines but I'm not sure. // 10

Sound: The sound for this guitar is perfect for the styles of music I play, which is mostly blues and rock, with a little funk, rockabilly and punk in there as well. The rhythm pickup is a little more mellow and deeper tone and it's better for blues, the middle one is kind of in between and the treble pickup is very bright sounding and is good for rock and rockabilly, as well as punk if you're using distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar it was in almost perfect condition when I bought it, except for the pickup selector knob was a little loose but I fixed it. The pickups sound excellent and the action is kind of middle in between low and high, more on the lower side but thats good cause I like to play with a slide. The neck is pretty thin and I find that the guitar is very light and easy to hold for a long time. The strap buttons are pretty good but I want to get strap locks because I like them better. All in all set up very well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played live a few times with this guitar including one where I did a fat solo and rolled on the ground and another where someone went on my shoulders with the guitar and we ran around, and there isnt a scratch on it yet. The hardware seems like it will last for a long time, and as I sadi before the strap buttons are solid but I wanna get strap locks.I would and have gigged without a backup, and nothing went wrong, so I would do so again. The finish is excellent and will last a long time. Finally, I would be more careful with this than a solid body because it is a semi hollowbody, so it would break easier than others. Very reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: This is excellent for the styles of music I play and is a perfect match for me. I have been paying for a year and a half roughly and I also own an acoustic. If lost or stolen I would hunt down the person who stole it and there would be serious hell to pay. I love this guitar and wouldn't trade it for the world. It is the perfect guitar and I love it. // 10

JT-133 Reviewed by: Brojo, on may 14, 2008

Purchased from: Saratoga Guitar

Features: This is a Jay Turser JT-133 semi-hollow body guitar. It consists of a set neck with rosewood 22 fret fretboard, semi-hollow body with two F-holes and what appears to be an arched top. There are two no name humbuckers, a three way selector and two tone and two volume knobs. The bridge is a stopbar TOM style. The tuners are permanantly lubricated and sealed, and the headstock is a 3+3 design (3 on each side) Overall features re pretty Standard for a starter semi-hollow. // 9

Sound: This guitar is obviously built for a Jazz/blues/soft rock applications. I use it to play mostly blues styles and it works wonderfully. For no name pickups they are very nicely balanced, very crisp highs and nice full lows and a decent middle which tends to be a little treblely. At high distortion levels the guitar tends to feedback a lot due to the hollowbody design. the only thing about the guitar that I do not like is that the tuners are relatively cheap and I plan on replacing them soon with a nice set of grovers. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the guitar was pretty much pristine. Being that I am OCD the first thing I did was search the entire guitar for any flaws what'soever. All that I was able to find was some flaws in the binding on the inside of the F-holes, nothing serious just a small chip on the inside. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Being that I use this guitar to perform with I would say that it would stand relatively easy stage playing, it is not the kind of guitar that you can whip around and spin on stage but I feel very confident that I could play with it Live without the use of a backup.(not that anybody should ever play Live without a backup.) // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I belive this is a great guitar for the money I spent on it and in talking to several players I could agree that it actually feels better than the 400 dollar Epiphone Dot, the sounds may be different but the feel is definately superior. I will note that the price I recieved this particular guitar at is cheaper than I should have gotten it for, I happen to know the owner of the shop I got it at so I got a small discount. Currently they are selling the guitars for around 289.00. // 10

JT-133 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2010

Purchased from: Players Row Music Supply

Features: An '08 Jay Turser JT-133. It has a 22 Fret set-neck in a maple body. A copy of a Gibson ES-335 but I would compare it more to an Epiphone Dot. It has the standard Gibson controls. Two tone controls and two volume controls. 3-way switch with a Tune-O-Matic bridge and generic non locking tuners. // 8

Sound: I play mostly alternative and punk, such as Paramor, Sick Puppies, Social Distortion, Green Day, etc. Using a Spider III 15W at the moment but played it through my friends Fender Frontman and it sounded phenomenal for a guitar in this price range. Because of the humbuckers its not a noisy guitar but being a semi hollow it can feed back. The bridge pickup can be a bit harsh so I usually mellow it out with the tone knob, The bridge is perfect for distorted stuff and the neck pickup gives it almost an acoustic tone. Put a set of 10's on it and dropped it a half step and sounds way better. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how it was set up from the factory because I bought it from a music store that sets them up prior but played really good when I brought it home. There are a couple of black spots under the finish but nothing major. The tuners will need to be replaced ASAP. Trying to tune is a pain in the butt. Once in tune though it stays in tune. Going to replace the nut soon but it will do in the mean time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used it for 2 gigs already and I have had no problems with it. I always have a back up no matter what the guitar is, but it seems like a very well made guitar. I think it will last for a while but I would replace the hardware before major gigging. If its nor beat on it will withstand quite a bit. Because I'm a reserved player I usually don't have this problem. // 7

Overall Impression: The guitar suits my style just fine, been playing on the verge of 3 years now and have played Fenders, Gibson, Jackson's etc. This guitar can give an Epiphone Dot a run for its money for sure. If lost or stolen I probably would buy a Telecaster but whatever. If looking for a guitar thats cheap and plays good buy one, but try to play it first, there can be gems and turds depending on the guitar // 9

JT-133 Reviewed by: isaaaaca, on may 17, 2010

Purchased from: Electro music

Features: I bought this guitar pre-owned so I'm not sure when it was made, but from the sticker on the back saying that it was inspected by a mr S.Hong I would guess that it was built in korea or somewhere like that. It has 22 frets and a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It is most definitely made of wood... I'd go with maple because cosmetically it looks the same as the neck. It has a high gloss tranlucent red finish, and is the same body shape as the Gibson es (thinline semi-acoustic) it has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge and 2 no name humbuckers, 4 knobs (2 tone, 2 Volume)... The tuners are not brilliant... But they work. And I got a free gig bag with it so that's always a plus. // 8

Sound: I try not to restrict myself to one particular type of playing, but I find this guitar excellent for most types of music, I use it on a crappy no-name amplifier which is a little broken, but I can make most tones with it... It sounds great for classic rock and blues and quite surprisingly it sounds amazing with a metal tone, the only thing I would say is watch out for high gain tones because when it wants to, it feeds back like an angy piranha... Recommend using it for punk, blues, indy and classic rock. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it second hand so I couldn't say for sure... But I think the pick ups are quite good and the general quality was amazing for the price... What with it being my first guitar I don't have a lot of basis for comparison. The only problems are a chip in the edge of the headstock where my dad dropped it and a mark on the top, but I think that's just from the wood, not the build quality. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do trust this guitar for live playing, but I should probably look to invest in some strap locks, but that might just be my poor quality strap, the finish is excellent. If I could afford to get another guitar at the moment I would definitely keep this one as my main guitar and just use the other as a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is amazingly good for the price I paid, I have only been playing a year or so so I couldn't say about how it plays relative to other guitars but it kicks the snot out of my brothers cheap stratocopy... If it got destroyed/stolen, I probably wouldn't buy it again, but only because I want to buy a Telecaster as a second guitar I would however definitely contemplate getting another semi-acoustic. // 9

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review