JT-155 Review

manufacturer: Jay Turser date: 03/08/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Jay Turser: JT-155
Hollow body jazz guitar. Maple arched top, maple set neck, rosewood fingerboard with abalone block and triangle inlay. Bound f-holes and abalone binding on body. Alnico humbuckers, 3-way selector switch, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, clear pickguard. Gold hardware.
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
JT-155 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2007

Purchased from: American Music Supply

Features: I believe this guitar was made in 2003 in Korea. It has 20 jumbo frets, and a Standard "Gibson" like scale (about 24 3/4"). The neck is maple, with a rosewood fretboard. The frets were set very nicely, and I am yet to run across any buzzing. The body is hollow single cutaway, with two f holes, and about 3 inches deep. I believe the sides and back are mohogany, and the top is a "quilt" maple (I believe this may be a "photo finish" but it looks really nice). Binding runs all around the body, neck, and hadstock. It was put on very well, and adds a lot to the guitars appearense. This is a full hollow body guitar with two alnico magnet mini humbuckers that produce a real nice mellow sound. This guitar was designed to be a jazz box, and that is exactly what it is. The controls are two volume and two tone controls, and a 3-way switch, and to my surprize, they work very well. The bridge is a roller tune o matic with a harp style tailpiece. All hardware is gold, and has kept its finish. Overall I'd have to say that this was a great buy, and about the only complaint I have is that the clearcoat seems to be starting to bubble a little on the headstock. // 9

Sound: The Jay Turser 155 is a perfect fit for the style of music I play. I play fingerstyle jazz, western swing, and country. This guitar produces just enough variance in sounds to play it all. The bridge pickup has a nice punchy (yet not driven) sound, and the neck pickup produces a beautiful rich sound that just screams jazz. I play it through a Fender Blues Jr. Which just adds to the warmth of this guitar. As far as effects go, I play mainly Danelectro effects (chorus'echo'and flange). For the reason that as far as effects go, they aren't quite as severe as some other brands, and they accent, more then change your sound. I have not experianced any noise problemsat any level with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action needed no adjustment right out of the box. I was very pleased with that. I did have to adjust the pickups, but that was more for personal taste then anything. The top was perfectly bookmatched, but as I stated before, I do believe it is a "photo finish" and not a real wood top. The routing is inconciquential, this is a hollowbody. However the pickups were placed well, and all controls are very reachable from a playing possision. Upon recieving this guitar, there were no flaws, after 3 years, the only flaw I have detected has been a slight bubbling in the clearcoaat on the headstock. No rust, and the gold finish on all hardware is still there and in good condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I know for a fact that this guitar will withstand live playing. I've played for 22 years, both solo and in bands, and for the last 3 years I've been on stage with this guitar many times. I never oce gave a second thought to needing a backup, or worring about it's durability. I'm sure hat the finish on the hardware will eventually start to fade, but the hardware itself is in good shape, and will last for many years to come. The strap buttons are large, and I've never had a problem with them. The only problem I see in the future would be the clearcoat bubbling in other places. I'm not overly worried about it, but that is a problem that I see. // 9

Overall Impression: As I've mentioned before, I play fingerstyle jazz, western swing, and country. This guitar is a perfect match for me, and these styles. I have played for 22 years, other guitars I own are; a Ernie Ball musicman double neck, an Gibson ES175, a Regal resonator, an Alvarez AD60 12 string, an Alvarez classical, and a Deering Black Diamond Banjo. I love everything about this guitar, if it was stolen, I wouldn't think twice about replacing it with another JT-155. I am very happy with this guitar.In fact, this has become the guitar that is most associated with me. // 10

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review