JT-200 Review

manufacturer: Jay Turser date: 07/15/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Jay Turser: JT-200
Vintage style, single cutaway lightweight solid body, flame-maple contoured top, maple set neck, rosewood fingerboard with abalone and mother-of-pearl serpent inlay and bound and inlaid headstock. Traditional style black pick guard, 2 covered humbucking pickups, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, and gold hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 9.3
reviews (6) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
JT-200 Reviewed by: Andy the rocker, on august 21, 2006

Purchased from: Purple Turtle Music

Features: This guitar has 22 frets, all of which are quite small so it's handy if you have trouble with fret reach. The guitar is purple with gold hardware and a black scratch plate. It has two tone and two volume controls, for the rhythm and treble settings. The humbucker pickups are good aswell, with a gold covering which makes it look that bit more classy. // 9

Sound: This guitar provides fantastic sound through my Marshall MG100DFX, proving capable of sounding like a proper Indie band, such as Arctic Monkeys, but also can kick out a bit of heavier music. It isn't much of a guitar for playing heavy metal though, but that isn't my style anyway. The pickups can pickup electrical equipment such as tumble dryers etc but that happens with any guitar really. Overall: great rich sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was packaged from the factory with with a fantastic finish, nothing wrong with it when first bought. The action is set low with no fret buzz, when I first got it my bassist complimented it saying "You can't complain about your action unlike some of us" or something to the sort. It seems that Jay Turser take real care in the production of this product, as when it arrived there were no flaws or errors and it looked perfect. The only thing I am not too keen on is the plastic rim around the guitar edges on the base, with a murky yellow, but it isn't that bad as it isn't a big part of the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Without experience, I am gessing that the guitar will withstand any gigs, and with experience, this guitar can take on bashes from any direction. If you think you can go on stage and smash this guitar to bits and still think you can play it after, I think your wrong as it wont withstand insane beatings on stage. When I was practising one time, one of the strap buttons came out which was a bit awkward, but I think it was because the screw might have been a bit loose. Also, I wouldn't recommend playing this guitar with a rubbish strap, as the strap button nearer the neck is at an strange angle, so unless you play with the neck facing downwards, then you'll have difficulty. The finish has served well so far (since January 06) as nothing seems to have faded or changed colours, which is always good. // 9

Overall Impression: I was very impressed with this purchase, as I only bought it for the looks of this insane guitar, not knowing how good it would sound! I like to play indie music, and it fits in well with a fantastic clean and distorted sounds. I have been playing since Christmas 05 so about 1 year and 8 months from when I wrote this review. I also own a brutal Marshall MG100DFX which provides the goods that I am looking for, and also a drum kit so my drummer doesn't have to bring his kit up everytime for the practise (how nice am I). If this guitar was stolen, I would consider buying it again although I would much rather purchase a 600 Ibanez, but yeh, this would be my second choice. This is probably the best Les Paul replica you can get in my opinion and you can really show off with it. The gold hardware make it look real classy. // 10

JT-200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2005

Features: I'm assuming this guitar was made in the USA. It's got 22 frets and a solid top. The neck is a set neck. It's painted black with whiteish/yellow lines outlining it. The body style is like a Les Paul design with the bottom cutaway. The Tune-O-Matic bridge keeps a long lasting tune with the stock tuners. It's got two volume controls and two tone controls with a 3-way rhythm, clean and treble selector. The humbucker pickups give it an awesone sound. // 10

Sound: I play a mixture of classic rock, rock, and country and this turser plays all of them well will some minor turning of the tone knobs. I use a Leem BA-818 amplifier and sometimes I use my Zoom G2 pedal for songs with the wah and other effects in them. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up great in the factory. The action is very low which is common in electric guitars. The pickups are adjusted well which makes a rich sound. The only flaw I had with my JT-200 was the rhythm, clean and treble selector. It was upside down but I only had to loosen a nut and twist it. But it was a used guitar so what can you expect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I recomend the guitar for live playing and I assure you that it will withstand anything you put it against (as in music not throwing). The strap buttons will last forever with care and hopefully the finish wont wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: If this guitar were stolen I wouldn't get mad at the person who stole it. It's a really nice guitar but I would get it back somehow. It's alot better than my first Squier Strat. // 9

JT-200 Reviewed by: thepostman6801, on february 15, 2011

Purchased from: String & Things Guitar Wholesale (ebay)

Features: This is a 2010 model, made in China. Set neck (mahogany), double cut body (Melody Maker style), alder body with carved maple cap. 22 medium frets, beautiful, smooth, polished rosewood finger board. Ebony finish with cream body/neck binding, cream pickups/rings, gold knobs, chrome hardware. Tune-o-matic style bridge, 2 volume/tone controls, passive pickups (HOT!). Came with a cable supplied. // 10

Sound: I play rock, hard rock, metal, blues and it fills all my needs! I'm using a Behringer GMX212 100 watt stereo combo with 2 special design Jensen 12" speakers, no foot pedals, only what is in the amp and the midi foot board to control it! This guitar ROCKS! Rich, full tone, singing sustain! Great overtones and pinch harmonics! It'll do anything from clean finger style to all out heavy freakin metal to rich singing blues! Very comparable to a Gibson Les Paul! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came VERY well setup, action is just right, neck adjusted properly and strings intonated. Neck adjusted perfectly. One string was out of tune after being shipped 1000 miles on the UPS truck! Pickup heights are just right, frets nicely dressed, no sharp edges. The neck is like a Gibson 60's slim taper, just how I like them. AND with binding! The finish is perfect, the chrome hardware is really nice, everything is tight and properly aligned. The tuners are excellent, nice and smooth and hold tune very well, about an 18:1 ratio I would guess. And the keys are adjustable for tension like Grovers, Schallers etc. This blows my Epiphone G400 away! And I bought it new for TWICE the money! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is rock solid! Should hold up to heavy gigging very well! The hardware seems good, not the best, best REALLY good for a $150 guitar, new. The tone/volume controls are smooth and tight, no scratching or obnoxious noises the selector Switch is tight, although it will probably wear out in a year or two of heavy use. The strap buttons are ok, but I'm installing strap locks (all my guitars have strap locks). EVERYONE should have some type of strap lock. Only takes one fall to make it firewood! I'm sure this guitar will hold up very well, barring any accidents, it is only made of wood after all. I would definitely use it for gigging without a backup, but I always have a backup axe in case I break a string or something. The finish is flawless, and you can see EVERY detail on the ebony finish! Beautiful! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 30+ years, much of it professionally. I've had (and still have) Gibson Les Paul Customs, Studios, SG's, among others, and this is as good as any of them, it just doesn't say "Gibson" on it (AND DIDN'T COST $1500)! It's BETTER than any of the Epiphone Les Paul's or SG's I have. In fact I'm getting ready to put most of them on eBay! This is going to be my main guitar for sure! Not as heavy as a "Paul" (real close, about 7 lbs), but heavier and thicker than my '78 Melody Maker, and soundS and plays better! I play rock, hard rock, metal (Alice In Chains, God Smack, Soundgarden, Puddle Of Mudd, Ozzy, Pantera type) and some blues, and ZZ Top. It does it all! From clean finger style to all out rippin' metal to singing blues solos. If it were stolen I would buy another without hesitation, in fact I'm ordering another JT-200 Pro next week and a JT-220. If I had realized earlier that this Jay Turser is a fine instrument I would have NEVER spent my money on the cheap, inferior Epiphone, Gibson wanna be's. This blows them away for the quality, feel, finish, sound, and most important, THE MONEY! I've checked out a lot of guitars, and you can't buy a comparable guitar for anything less than TWICE what this cost! Don't waste your money buying that Epiphone name just because it's related to Gibson! It may be "cheap", as far as cost, but they have done a top notch job of building these axes. Don't waste your money! Buy one of these! You can't go wrong! // 10

JT-200 Reviewed by: tsmilliner, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Sound: This guitar is excellent, I play a bit of everything and this works great. I am using a Roland Cube 15 and a DigiTech RP200. The pickups are noisy at times, but that is my only issue with this guitar. Rich full sound and excellent highs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar is set up well from the factory, finish and fit are excellent. Pickups are a bit noisy, I will take guitar in next week to have adjusted if possible. Set neck is nice and well fit. My only complaint are the cheesy looking tuning pegs which are made of plastic. If this is where they decided to cut a corner to give me this excellent guitar, I will live with them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would play live with this if I were good enough. This think is well mad and I am sure will last and endure. Only time will tell with the finish, but it looks good, real good. I would trust it 100%. // 9

Overall Impression: I am obviously very impressed and quite happy with this purchase. I had my friends Epiphone standard which he just paid 600 for at my house when I brought this one home and I swapped them without him noticing. It wasn't until he looked at the tuner pegs that he noticed the difference. I would definitely kill and replace if it were stolen. I did compare against the Epiphone, but there wasn't great difference in quality, and the price can't be touched. You won't be sorry with this guitar! Best feature, and actual LP replica worth playing for under 400, worst feature tuning pegs could be chrome. Excellent warranty and reviews speak for themselves. This thing rocks! // 10

JT-200 Reviewed by: SlashWannabe1, on november 20, 2008

Features: I don't know where it was made... Don't care. Was made in 2002. I'm not a wood expert don't know! This information was never given to me. All I can say is I never played a guitar in my life prior to buying this guitar and I walked into The Music store and liked the Les Paul design and color of this guitar and I bought it for $220 and here I am 6 years later with such a wonderful performing instrument!. After playing Gibson's and Epiphones and countless copy's and many different name brands of guitars I realized that for blindly buying a Guitar this Jay Turser Les Paul Copy was a damn good investment for a beginner as I was 6 years ago. The stock pickups will get you by they sounded good, how good? don't remember that was 5 years ago! Most guitarists Who are in it for the long haul will go directly to upgrading to their own style of pickups that suits them best as I have with adding Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 pros to my Guitar. I'm not a EMG pickup fan but Even I thought EMG pickups sounded great on this model of guitar! Tried one in a music store with EMG's and for once they didn't sound sterile and lifeless. Most people Who are a Guitar enthusiast weather it be this guitar or a $5000 Gibson are going to change the pickups on their guitar (especially if they are inspired by a specific guitarist) to meet their needs. Stock Pickups will satisfy any beginner or semi pro but a professional will change his pick ups any way so asking how the stock pickups sound is kinda irrelevant. It has 22 frets, solid body guitar all one piece of un molested wood for the body. Don't know what type of wood the body is but the Fret board is Rosewood. All I can say about the wood in the body of the guitar is that it's NOT compressed fiber board or any junk like that it's real wood with visible grain the whole way through very hard and tough. Guitar came with Silver hardware, adjustable bridge, t bar and tuning pegs. // 7

Sound: My favorite part about this guitar is the sound! I play mostly Rock Music (Guns N Roses AC/DC style) but I do a fair amount of 50s-60s-70s-80s-90s music and it plays them all and fits most genres of music. The sounds this guitar can make are pretty wide which is why it's been my main guitar for the whole 6 years I've been playing and surly many more years to come! If I put the pick up Switch in the middle it blends both rhythm and treble pickups to make a country sounding almost Strat type sound depending on how you roll back your tone and volume knobs. Of Course these are Humbucker pickups but you can get a good country sound out of this guitar as well. The Rhythm channel of this guitar is just pure gold and sex on a guitar, This is it's strongest point hands down it sounds so natural so bluesy most of all JUICY. 1950s Elvis Presley/Scotty Moore tones are not out of the question on this guitars Rhythm channel, add a bit of reverb and go to town! The natural resonance through the wood of this guitar is just beautiful, it feels good in your hand and you can feel it through your amp as well. 1 year after I bought this guitar in 2003 I was shooting for early 90s Guns N Roses Live tone, I switched the pick ups to Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pickups. My cousin Who strictly buys top name brand guitars like Gibson and Fenders had to do a double take at my guitar when I played it at my Sisters wedding. He was totally sure I had taken the Gibson markings off somehow because of the Rich thick tone this guitar produces with good pick ups. He said tone wise the guitar was right up there with a Gibson and blows away most Epiphone Guitars in the same price bracket. I use a Fender Bandmaster with 2 2X12 cabs as my main Live rig. For effects pedals I use a Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss Metal Zone MT2, Boss GE-7 Eq, Boss Reverb and Delay unit RV-3. One of my favorite tones is just plugging the guitar straight to the amp with no effects and just turning the amp to 5 for volume and letting this guitar loose. It has enough bone stock quality to need no effects for a straight amp plug in and clean jam. I'm rating the sound on this guitar a 10 not only because it's my first guitar not because I'm trying to glorify a cheap under $500 Guitar but because it produces sounds that I expect to be in a guitar, Sounds I wanted to emulate before I started playing guitar and sounds that are clear and jump to the forefront of The Music I play. The sounds that come out of it are what I judge other guitars by. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action from the factory was set up very well of course I have tweaked it a few times to get the most out of the Guitar. Finnish was a very Deep Purple Stain that accents the wood very nicely. The finish on the guitar I bought was what actually drew me to the guitar it was hands down the most shiny, deep rich looking guitar I have seen even to this day. Jay Turser may not have the overall quality of Gibson guitar but they are damn equal when it comes to finish and staining of the wood (at least on my Jay Turser). // 9

Reliability & Durability: As with most Guitars you wouldn't want to intentionally break them in anyway but just playing Live and doing neck bends(not smart)the thing will hold up great I don't see any reason I wouldn't be able to go even 6 hours with this guitar except if the strings went bad but that's a string issue not a Guitar problem. I have been playing this guitar for 6 years heavy now and I can say that only 1 fret had to be replaced just recently and it was a cheap $20 fix due to the design of the frets being easily replaceable. Its as reliable as you make it and as reliable as you should expect it to be. I have depended on this guitar for 6 almost 7 years and it plays like new and with proper care, pot cleaning and fret/string replacements I see no reason for this guitar not to work even 30 years down the road. The guitar is a tank it weighs almost as much as a Les Paul, the strap buttons are solid and the Finish hasn't given any signs of wear after 7 years. // 10

Overall Impression: The thing I like about this guitar is that the neck can accommodate my big fingers for easy chord changes or blistering solos. Most guitars you find in a music store for under $500 seem to have been made for the starving Pygmies in Africa! But Not this one! I have been playing close to 7 years, I have much time to devote to playing so I'm not a young 7 years I'm a experienced 7 years. I must say that when I look at other guitars to buy or to just play I judge them by this guitar, from the look, sound feel and playability. When I pick up a real Les Paul I judge it to how it feels to my Jay Turser and let me tell you this 2002 Jay Turser is one hell of a good factory instrument and with a few upgrades it can be a mythical dream. Its such a good guitar I'm buying another one today in fact so I don't have to detune my guitar between certain songs that require a different tuning. If it were lost or stolen I would stop at nothing to get it back in one piece. Good buy for the money and with a little upgrades in the right places you can have yourself a great performing instrument. I Can't say there's anything I dislike or hate or wish was on this, it's got everything I need and nothing I don't. // 10

JT-200 Reviewed by: rev.gainey, on july 15, 2011

Purchased from: Clyde's Discount Music, Brunswick GA

Features: I found this Guitar as a "pre-owned" guitar, the only indication that it was pre-owned was because the owner told me, if not I would have known, other than the missing pick guard [that would have been taken off when I got home any way]. I wanted a solid humbucker at a low price, and I got exactly what I was looking for. As a full time Pastor with 5 kids and a paper thin budget, I can't believe the quality of the instrument considering the price. I feels great, handles easy, smooth action - The neck is easy to work, and it has perfect intonation! // 10

Sound: I Play mainly worship style music & southern Gospel, this guitar allows me to move through a wide range of applications while also not giving me the constant hum, feed back, and static noise from my other single coil guitars. The sound is so rich and bright, it's hard to describe other than that it "sings", the sustain is awesome, as well as the action - again I can't wrap my head around the price - The MSRP of $339 is more than fair in my estimation. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased the guitar it was missing the Les Paul style pick guard, but I was actually kinda happy about that because it is the one thing about the Les Paul design that I am not to thrilled about. So I purchased two very nice looking finishing washers and bevel head screws [stainless] to go into the two empty screw holes - Looks great, feels solid, and is well made. I couldn't be happier with the product. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would take this guitar to any of my ministry events such as homecomings, youth camps-lock ins, or anywhere else I can get the amp plugged in. Where the wood blocks are joined together is flawless, no dimples in the surface, and the frets are steel vs - brass so I am hoping this will make then last longer. The tuning heads are right on! They do not back out, or get sloppy between the gear teeth, very firm & smooth tuning. // 10

Overall Impression: Before I purchased this instrument I was playing a customized Squire Strat with all the cosmetic bell's & whistles, but no matter what single coil pickups are just what they are - so I was on a mission to find the perfect humbucker for my needs, and I did. // 10

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review