JT-220 Review

manufacturer: Jay Turser date: 04/30/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Jay Turser: JT-220
Vintage style single cutaway, alder body, contoured flame maple top, set neck, rosewood fingerboard, traditional style pick guard, 2 humbucking pickups, colors: BK, CS, VS.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.8
 8.1
 8.7
 7.5
reviews (4) pictures (3) 34 comments vote for this gear:
JT-220 Reviewed by: RRW Whitey, on april 01, 2008

Features: It was made in Dec. 2007 A New Model JY 220 it has a set neck with 23 thin frets and is rosewood. The body is a Standard cutaway LP type with a sunburst solid top and wood grain back (great finish). It has a standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with your Standard LP copy hardware. // 9

Sound: I play pretty much your standard rock and blues. Some punk and a little country. I am playing through a Line 6 Spider III 120 with 2X10 120 with a Line 6 FBV board and I must say I was blown away by how the JT-220 sounded as soon as I pluged it in. We are talking a guitar that cost 159 dollars new. I have done a little digging and I belive I have one from the first run of this new model. The sound is rich and full even dialed up with little break up. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was in the ball park the action was a little high but I atribuate that to the cheep bridge you will find on just about all of the LP copies out there. The pickups were in the ball park also ba little high. The Finish is un real. The only flaw I see here is a sleight run that was wet sanded out and is verry hard to see. All electroincs are fine no loose hardware. The only complaint here is that it has one of those composite nuts that seem to be popular these days even on the Epiphones. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would stand up to a live playing and the hardware seems solid enough. The strap buttons are good and heavy. I think it would be safe to say it would be fine to gig with (I have been playing it every day for over 3 months now with no proplems) and the finish is so thick that I think it will hold well for many years. I used to refinish cars for a livein and the depth of gloss on this JT 220 is sick. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good overall guitar for anyone who plays blues rock, rock, bules and country (twang). I have 2 Strats, have been playing for 20 + years and always wanted a set neck single cutaway guitar but did not want to shell out 3 or 4 hundred for one. If this guitar was stolen I would buy another one for sure. The only things that wern't so hot (the bridge & tuners) I replaced. As soon as I put roller bridge on it and set the inotation it really set it off. The tuners were just LP copy type so I replaced them with a set of wilkinson. I compaired a number of LP copies and an Epiphone or 2 that I had picked up at some of the locial music stors before I thought about buying this JT-220 based on a couple of JT-200s I picked up. For the price it can't be beat especially if you (like me) are not sure a single cutaway LP type guitar is something you will adapt to after playing Strats for many years. I think for 159 dollars for this guitar is a steal. // 8

JT-220 Reviewed by: KVanilla, on february 03, 2011

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: All In One Pawn Shop

Features: I Bought This Guitar In January Of 2011, at the All In One Pawn Shop in Rexton NB, CAN. I paid $350 for a package deal. (Guitar, Amp, Pedal and all the patch cords... And a soft case and a stand, good deal for Tree Fiddy I think.) I believe the finish is the Fire Burst Cherry colour, if u type jt 220cs you'll see it, like yellow in the middle and the outside fades into a red... Very pretty, it was the look that won me over. All the hardware is Chrome too. // 9

Sound: This guitar has an original Les Paul sound, even though it is a replica, It sounds wonderful... You could compare it to an Epiphone, and I think it would win. Now I only play this guitar through a Dan Electro Cool Cat: Metal II pedal, and a Mega 10 Watt amplifier... So I haven't heard it at full but I am not comlaining about the sound... // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The JT 220cs Was ready to play as soon as I got it... I might have had to tighten the top E string a bit but other than that, I haven't had to even re-tune it in a month now. The finish on this guitar still takes my breath away every time I look at it... I fell in love with it as soon as I seen it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Now I have only had this guitar for about a month now, and its been handling a good ass kicking... I play a wide veriety of music and the JT220cs can take a beating, from strumming C and G chords to slamming bar chords and picking those sick little riffs you think of when your smoking a Phil... I think this guitar will withstand the wrath of me. // 6

Overall Impression: My style of music ranges from Dueling Banjoes all the way to Deftones and Marilyn Manson... And I couldn't have bought a better guitar for that wide veriety of picking and strumming. If I had lost this guitar I would definetly buy another one. $350 for a professional grade guitar, and everything else you need to play it... Can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned. // 9

JT-220 Reviewed by: DisasterMatt, on june 08, 2011

Purchased from: Firehouse Guitars and Music, Conyers GA

Features: It was made... Before my birthday in 2009 (bought it used and no serial so I dunno). Alder body, rosewood fretboard, not sure about the neck. Black finish, Les Paul body style, ToM bridge, your average Les Paul controls. HH. So, basically a black Les Paul. All you need. // 8

Sound: It suits my style pretty well. I play grunge and post-grunge and some metalish stuff. I also play cleans. This guitar suits both of those pretty well. I use a DigiTech RP90 with a Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ and a Fender FM65 with it. It's not noisy at all (humbuckers) and it's got a good sound. The sound isn't exactly bright. The clean sound is only good on the middle and rhythm positions, but distorted is only good on Treble. I'm shocked at how good the Treble position is distorted. It's pretty clear. You can do everything from "Nutshell" by Alice In Chains to freakin "Back In The Day" by Local H and it sounds fine. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how it was set up at the factory, it was used. I had to set it up myself after I used it and it was very easy to setup. The pickups are adjusted well. No flaws. There are a few chips from the other person (and me) but that's natural. Builds character! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would withstand live playing. It sounds great and it's got great weight to it, and it looks like it'd hold up (it also looks great). The hardware seems very solid, 3x as good as my Epiphone Les Paul Special. The strap buttons are fine and have never come loose. I can depend on it for sure! I would use it on a gig without a backup, but I'd probably bring my MiM Strat with me for songs in different tunings. The finish seems it'd last an eternity assuming you're not spilling beer on it every other night. // 10

Overall Impression: I play grunge, metal, post grunge, and some lighter stuff. It's a very good match. I have been playing 2 years as of last month, and I have an MiM Strat and no other really good guitars. There's nothing I wish I would have asked, other than a setup. But it's not Jay Turser's fault. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy it again, unless I had enough money to get like a Gibson or something. Which wouldn't happen. Jay Turser it is. I love that it's versatile, it looks great, it's weighted great, it sounds great, and it gave me hope on Les Pauls after getting an Epiphone LP Special. I hate nothing about it. Other than the strings need changing. My favorite feature is the pickups - they're soooo shiny and they match the guitar perfectly. I compared it to an Epi Standard I believe and I liked it better. I chose this one because I liked it and my birthday was soon so, you know, why not? Nothing I wish it had. Other than it being my dream guitar (HHH, 3 coil taps, 3 on offs and a kill switch) but hey, how are you gonna find that in $190? This is a great guitar. // 9

JT-220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Bought this Jay Turser JT-220 in Vintage Sunburst two years ago. I paid $190 including shipping. It is a 2009 Model Les Paul Copy. It was made in China. My local guitar shop has a 1968 Gibson Les Paul - Vintage Sunburst in a glass case and it has always been my dream guitar but the asking price is $6,500 and I am not worth it. My Jay Turser is a beautiful Vintage Sunburst, maples with rosewood fingerboard. It has block pearl inlays and 2 humbuckers. // 9

Sound: For the price, the sound is awesome and has great sustain. I use a Line 6 Spider II 212 and this guitar rocks. Did some adjustments out of the box and played some AC/DC and rattled the house. I have an Epi Les Paul Goldtop and I just sold an Epi Les Paul Standard Ebony and the JT-220 is every bit as good as the Epi. If I could afford it and was a better player, I would want a real Gibson Les Paul. That being said, this guitar rocks and is a great guitar for anyone that doesn't have a lot of dough. Out of the box the guitar plays well and with a little tweeking I set it up to my liking. I won't do it but if someone were to put some better pickups in, this guitar would be awesome. I can't tell you how surprised I was by the sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup pretty good out of the box but I lowered the action a little. Neck was perfect and straight. Came with D'Adarrio strings and they were fine for my taste. The pickups were right on and sounded great and the electronics were solid. It has die-cast machines that I like better than the ones on my Epiphone LP Goldtop. The guitar is solid with a beautiful finish and binding. You can get it in Cherry Sunburst, Ebony and Vintage Sunburst. I always loved Vintage and she is beautiful. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has stood up well over the past two years. I have not changed anything but lowered the action a little. Everything is still solid and great. All hardware is holding up well. I use this as my main guitar and would have no problems with this being my only guitar except I also bring a acoustic-electric with me. // 10

Overall Impression: I have had it for two years, play it every day and out on weekends and it is serving me well. I play rock, blues and metal and this guitar is really something. I have been playing, off and on, for more than 20 years. As far as a Les Paul copy, I have yet to find or play one better including the Epiphone. I still love the Gibson's but would not shell out that kind of money at this point in time. If this were stolen, I would buy another. I wish that Jay Turser made a Black Beauty with 3 pickups, that is the only thing I wish I had. // 9

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review