JT-220D Serpent Review

5.5
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
JT-220D Serpent Reviewed by: Alexx_212, on january 09, 2013

Purchased from: A music store in Turkey

Features: I bought it in 2012. It was made in 2010. It has a brown-ish solid flamed top. Passive electronics, LP Tune-o-Matic, gold hardware, H-H configuration, the price included some picks, a gig bag, and a cable. Alder body, rosewood fingerboard, set neck. My guitar is a serpent model. It features a great design on the fingerboard. // 8

Sound: I mostly play GNR, some blues and some jazz on this guitar. It was made to play soft music, not metal or hard rock. The pickups are not that great, so if you want to play it through an amp, it won't sound well. I play it unplugged and it sounds really well and loud (for an electric one). It has a really rich, bright sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was poorly set up at the factory. That is all I can say. Rubbish. I went to a music shop after I realised there were some really bad sounding buzzes and paid $25 for a set-up. The man who repaired it said he could't do anything to level the frets because he would have sanded the model on the fingerboard. He just set some hardware, the intonation, the truss-rod and the action and told me not to set the action myself. The action of the strings is really high because if I were to lower it, the buzzes would come up again. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is well finished. The best finish I've ever seen on a guitar. The strap buttons are small, so a strap would fell immediately. If I were to play live many times, I'd buy new buttons and locks. The hardware is gold as I said before, but there are some silver-ish spots on the tuners and on the pickups, but I don't understand why... The body of this guitar is very thick, if I were to compare to my Cort TS-250. // 9

Overall Impression: It is a very good guitar for unplugged playing, as well as amplified playing if you would change the pickups with some good ones. What I love and what I hate at this guitar?.. Well, I love the finish, the gold hardware, the overall look of it, and the model on the fingerboard. I think it was a model made to look like this guitar. I hate the buzz problems. // 9

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review