JT-300 Review

manufacturer: Jay Turser date: 12/23/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Jay Turser: JT-300
22 jumbo frets. Solid top. 2 tone, 1 volume and a 5 way selector. 3 pickups. Maple fretboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 Features: 7.9
 7.4
 7.4
 7.3
reviews (8) pictures (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
JT-300 Reviewed by: Until_it_sleeps, on january 30, 2004

Features: I got this guitar brand new (2003) on sale. I'm not sure exactly where it was manufactured. Probably China like everything else. Now I know what your thinking. Why the hell are you doing your review on one of the most popular guitar designs in the world? Well I want people to know how affordable and durable it is. This guitar features 22 jumbo frets, a solid top, 2 tone 1 volume and a 5 way selector. All 3 pickups are single coiled humbuckers. I have no idea what the pickups are, probably just Jay Turser or some small company. Body is made from umm.. solid wood lol.. I really like the color scheme of the guitar. Simple white on blue, but if you look closer you can see the wood streaks through the paint.. a pretty cool effect. The bridge is a string through body, and it has locking tuners straight over the bridge. The neck is average, not fat but definatly not thin (it's about 2 inches at top and maybe 2.5 at the bottom. I paid $499 and got this guitar, a strap, carry case, cable, strings, and a crate 15 watt amp with reverb and distortion. A great deal. The fretboard is maple, and there is a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: This guitar is awesome in ways and bad in others. For the price this guitar kicks ass. Its best sound quality is in clean electric, the notes are bright and clear. Distortion is where this guitar lags behind. Chords are sometimes hard to make out, and the pickups hum really bad. You can get rid of this hum by selecting 2 pickups at once, but then the sound quality is lower. I'd give it a 4 for acoustic and maybe 3 for distortion... // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is well put together. It's durable, fairly light weight and balanced really nice. When you get a strap on it it rests perfectly flat against you. The pickups were fairly well adjusted (their pretty cheap so they are probably at their full potential). One thing I found were the strings and pickups didn't line up. They're about 2-3mm off centered, that might be the reason it hums. Also the entire guitar becomes magnetised by the current, so that also causes hums. The pickup selector is pretty loud but at least its durable. The bridge is excellent and adjustable for your needs or preferances, and all the hardware was well attatched when I got it and still is. The wood is good quality and nice and smooth. The handle is so smooth you almost forget your holding it at times. One fault that I know of from my friends who have older guitars of the same design are that the tuning and vome knobs, and the tip of the pickup selector get loose and either break or slip off. But that also depends ont he care given to it by the owner (they got theirs used). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar isn't really made for live performances. With an awesome amp it might hold up but with the unclear distortion amplified to a huge proportion it might just sound like ****, (I haven't used it live). The hardware is durable and could withstand a live concert, but I'm not sure about the bridge. The bridge itself is reliable but I find that the strings will break easy if you pound on it for too long. Yeah I know thats always an issue but last night playign smells liek teen spirt I managed to bust the A string so i dunno, getting caught up in the action live and whaling on your guitar might be a problem. But if your just screwing around by yourself or with a couple of friends thsi guitar is great for it. At a concert this would be the back up. Gonna go with a 3 for action. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar doesn't compare to Gibsons, or Schecters, any famous high quality guitar manufacturer. This guitars strong point is its value. This is a cheap guitar but it doesn't sound it. I was amazed when I played it and it sounded good. If your looking ti be the next big thing, this isn't your guitar. If your learning or need a cheap back up, this is it. Overall a good guitar, (you get more than you paid for). // 10

JT-300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar Cellar

Features: Classic Strat copy made in China, with tremolo, three single coil pickups, 5-way Switch and two sets of volume/tone controls. Don't know what type of wood the body was made of, as it was painted black. The neck was maple, as I wanted it that way. Generic tuners as far as I could tell, as the salesman didn't mention anything special about them. All the features worked, although I never used the tremolo/whammy bar much. // 8

Sound: I got it after I won an eBay auction for a Fender Champion 110 amp. Needed a guitar to play through it and was learning the blues. This guitar works good for that: Learning. It's an excellent first guitar and is noisy when using the single coils, but quiets down when selecting two pickups, as it should. The guitar was a blast to learn the ins and outs of different styles of playing, as I could produce sounds from whispery blues to twangy country to crankin' distorted rock. The amp helped some of that, but the guitar produced enough kick to piss off the neighbors. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good from the get-go, but they may have set it up at the shop, first. Either way, it was easy to play and I didn't have to adjust anything after using it for a year. No fret buzz, even up to the higher frets. The only problem I had was that the nut broke when I changed the strings a couple of months after owning it. I took it back to the shop and they replaced it, no charge. They honored the warranty, which is all you can ask for in a guitar in this price range. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a beginners guitar, plain and simple. Good to use if you're just starting out and aren't into gigging, quite yet. After getting into a band, the guitar got put through a few more paces and found it doesn't hang as well when playing with other instruments or over extended periods of time. It has a tendency to fall out of tune, quicker, when you're bending strings and banging on it a bit harder during gigs. The tuning problem shows when other guitars are still in tune and your's isn't. Better strings may help this, but I've heard guitars with tremolos do that. I didn't expect it to be such a problem until I played with other musicians. The finish is good enough to last, as it's probably an acrylic enamel or something like that. // 4

Overall Impression: The band I joined does oldies, country, some older blues and pop. The guitar works good for all of them and is good to start learning these styles. I've played for years and have a Martin DX-1 acoustic with a pickup that I also use for the gigs. Not a fair comparison, but the Martin never loses tune, even if I'm doing leads and bending strings on it. A gigging musician just can't stop after every song and retune. I sold this guitar after the last gig to someone who has a kid that's just starting out. For the money involved, it's an excellent guitar for that. It's #1 feature is how much guitar you get for the money. All the sounds, features and feel of a real Strat for a couple hundred bucks. It'll make the transition to the real thing seamless, as by the time a beginner notices the drawbacks of this guitar, they'll be ready to move up. When I was in the store, I compared this guitar to a Les Paul Copy and this had many more tones to try out and learn. Besides, it comes with a maple neck if you want it, which I like. The only feature I wish it had is locking tuners, but that'll add to the price and probably aren't available on any guitar in this price range. Better to take the extra money and put it towards a good amp, as this guitar's pickups are middle of the road and a good amp will make up for that. // 8

JT-300 Reviewed by: Tiberi, on april 08, 2006

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I bought this guitar from a pawn shop and it was in OK condition. I didn't really know guitars that much, seeing how this one would be my first. I did a little research on the guitar and, it is probably made in Mexico. It has 3 pickups, 22 frets and I think the neck wood is maple, and there an oak decorative line downs the centre. When I bought it the strings that were on it were rusted and worn so I replaced them with standard electric. It has a red body and a cream colored faceplate. Also I hate the faceplate and I cannot change it because it does not take standard fit! // 6

Sound: No when I started playing, and I finally learned iron man, it sounded great, but as I progressed through many classic rock riffs and solos I realized that the guitar is very easy to loose tune, I find my self tuning it after every time I bend allot. I own a Mega VL-10 and the overdrive is decent but the distortion from the amp is sometimes lacking. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problems with the guitar were minor, suck as a bent string nod or the input jack wobbling loose, also mine did not come with a whammy bar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is solid, it has survived almost a year with me and I am a spas, I am always banging it on walls and dropping it on the way to my lesson, and one time when I brought it to school it slid out of the back of my gig bag, but to my amazement it only suffered a minor scratch. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar suits classic rock fine. From Cream to Black Sabbath to Blue Oyster Cult it can do it all and still sound decent. I have been playing for a year now and I am quite comfortable with it. The only thing I wish this guitar had more of is distortion recommend it to anyone starting to learn to play. // 9

JT-300 Reviewed by: Edwardthegreat5, on may 03, 2006

Purchased from: Cassell's Music

Features: I'm not really sure where or what year it was made, but it is a great guitar. 21 frets, 3 pickups, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs, 5-way pickup selector, standard tremolo bridge, not sure what the neck is made of, but it's smooth and pretty fast. Mine came brand-new with a gig bag and a Jay Turser Amp. // 9

Sound: This is a great guitar and it is very good for cleans and semi-distorted sounds. The cleans can be warm and bright. The distortion is not too great though, it is good when semi-distorted for classic rock and soloing, but it doesn't give out a good metal sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This was not really set up too god, but I set it up and it turned out to be a great guitar, seeing as it was my first electric. The action was setup perfectly and it has good sustain, the strings were not that great though. The tuners were great and surprisingly, it hardly ever goes out of tune for me. The finish is also beautiful, I've had it for two years and it still shines with little or no dents. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a reliable guitar and it would withstand playing live. The hardware is excellent and flawless. Strap buttons stay put and even though I recently replaced them with Dunlop locking strap bottons, they were still reliable and stayed put. The finish has like I said before, has no scratches, it seems it will last long and keep it's beauty. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good guitar for clean and semi-distorted tones, not too good for all out distortion. It has a beautiful finish and excellent hardware. I would be devistated if it was stoles and immediatly buy a new one. This is probably one of the best guitars you can find for the price and I love it even though I have progressed and gotten better guitars. // 9

JT-300 Reviewed by: damirault, on may 08, 2006

Features: made and purchased in 2004, Standard Strat style, 3 single coil pickups with 5-way Switch, 1 volume, 2 tone, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, dotted inlays and grover tuners, comes with a whammy bar and a black finish with a white pickguard. // 8

Sound: I play mostly Metallica, AC/DC, SOAD, etc. and this is just my first electric guitar, so I really wasn't expecting much of it. There is a slight humming noise when it's played clean if you turn your amp up loud, but that's expected from the single coil pickups. It doesn't give close to the sound of AC/DC but with distortion you can get fairly close to Metallica sound. Overall, it suits the way I play, but it needs a few ajustments here and there. The bridge pickup is very noisy when my amp is overdriven, and the others make surprisingly low hum. One thing I don't like is the neck pickup is very muddy, even with the tone set all the way to bright. When overdriven/distorted I always use the bridge pickup because it's the only one that sounds bright, even though you can't set the tone for it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The bolt-on neck's angle isn't right, though this only became obvious after a few months of playing it, it's too far outward and the strings are raised too far off the last fret, even though my saddles are set low. The nut was cut a little too low and when your strings get broken in, they start to rattle slightly against the first fret. The bridge sucks because if you use a whammy bar, your strings instantly de-tune themselves (a few times they de-tuned when I was screwing in the whammy bar, that's bad). // 4

Reliability & Durability: The Grover tuners definetly deserve my applause, they are the only perfect thing on this guitar. Nothing wrong with them, I would reccommend them to anyone looking for non-locking tuners. However, I wouldn't really trust the rest of the hardware. I've never played it live, and it's already starting to fall apart. Without the whammy bar problem, the bridge is OK, considering sometimes I go nuts with my whammy bar, nothing's broken yet (fingers crossed). Once my hand slipped and I hit the pickup selector Switch and it bent nearly in half. The pots seem dependable, but the output jack stopped working (2 bucks, a trip to RadioShack, and a soldering iron fixed that). The strap buttons are very solid, my strap broke 3 times already yet the buttons seem invincible. I do not trust this enough to play live without a backup, though I most likely wouldn't use it. The finish seems like it will last, there's no scratches or dents in it (and I've bumped into lots of stuff with it and dropped it 3 times (when my strap broke). Fortunately, everything that broke and probably will eventually break is all cheap to fix. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar seems to allow me to play Metallica fairly easily, but it's definetly not a match for playing AC/DC. If I would get another guitar, or if it was stolen or lost, I would probably get an ESP or maybe a Gibson SG, but not the same one. I use this through a DigiTech Grunge Distortion pedal when set right gives me the sound I want (a Motley Crue-ish sound) and a worthless cheap amp I bought (the overdrive sucks which is why I bought the distortion pedal), but I have tried it in a Crate amp and it sounds fairly good. I wish it had a better whammy bar and a better adjusted neck. // 7

JT-300 Reviewed by: Metallichemical, on october 08, 2008

Features: Not sure what year it was made, but got it in 2003 for Christmas.I believe it says made in China.I got a blue one in a Starter Kit which included the guitar, 6-watt amp, cable, strap, case, picks, allen keys, and a key to lock the case.It has 21 frets and I believe a mahogany neck (don't have a lot of knowledge on different types of woods).The guitar has a Strat style body with a laminated transparent top.Included are a volume knob, two tone controls, and a 5-way selector Switch with locking tuners. // 10

Sound: I like playing several different types of rock and metal.Some examples are AC/DC, Metallica, Pantera, Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Guns N Roses, and those are just a few examples.This guitar suits some styles great and others just fair.With stock pickups, I can get sounds like AC/DC, Nirvana, Metallica, etc. pretty well.It does not give great Guns N Roses type tones, and it can handle a fair, but not great Pantera sound.The distortion is fair but could be better and the pickups have some humming.But, the clean tones on it are absolutely amazing! The amp I use is a Traynor Studio Mate 10, which works good and has good tone, but sometimes with this guitar it isn't amazing.I don't have or want any effects, I just like simplicity, the guitar pluged up to the amp with distorted sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: First of all, the action when I got it straight from the case was great, though there is a small buzz on the low e string.The output jack on the guitar comes loose all the time and I have to tighten it. One strap button, the one nearest to the fretboard, came out and I had to glue it in. I recently raised the pickups some to get a fatter tone but it didn't sound bad before. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand some live playing, but you might want a backup just to be safe.The hardware is fair but some needs to be maintained carefully over time.I would probably want a backup if I took it to a gig, but this guitar would probably do fine. There are some scrathches on the body, and a ton on the pickguard, but none of them bother me at all.There is also a small chip on the back from when I once dropped it, but I dropped it other times and nothing happened. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play several types of rock and metal and this guitar is fair but I wish it was more versatile. I've had this for almost 5 years but just got really into playng a little less than a year ago.If this guitar were stolen, I would like to have it back but if I could afford it, I would get another one.Some great things about this instrument are it stays in tune great, it's light, and has awesome cleans. Some negative things are a loose strap button, jack coming loose all the time, and the distorted soung is good but could be better, and this guitar isn't as versatile as I would like, but still good.This guitar is great for the price, but if you have money, go with something better and more versatile. It pretty much has all the controls I like. // 8

JT-300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2009

Purchased from: EBAY (new)

Features: I think this guitar is made in china because it sucks... It's got 20 frets, it's the basic 25.5 inches overall length and the body is really fat so that's why they call it a fat Strat.. I think it's made of plywood. The finish is black and the fretboard is rosewood. The body is a basic Strat shape and the bridge is a one way tremelo. Passive pickups. 2 tone knobs 1 volume knob. The pickups are factory default and don't even have the manufacturers name. The tuners are nonlocking and I don't know the brand as it doesn't say. It came with nothing. Just the guitar. there's 1 humbucker on the bridge and 2 single coiled pickups. // 5

Sound: I play neo classical metal such as Yngwie Malmsteen and this guitar would fit that style exept that the pickups are very bad. i use a Crate GT15 practice amp with a Rocktron Metal Planet distortion pedal and sometimes a DigiTech Grunge pedal. The guitar has an annoying humming sound even when I turn the volume down and you can get alot of different sounds though by switching the pickups. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was probably the best thing about this guitar. Pure black gloss but the neck was way to high so the stings were way to high from the frets so I had to adjust them. The pickups were almost in the guitar all the way so I had to adjust those too. There was a slight scratch on the back and the tremelo bridge only had 3 springs on it. After like a month, all the screws on it and even the bridge started to rust. Only the tuning heads were like new. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would never even think about playing with this guitar Live cause it's already falling apart so it's not reliable. The finish seemd pretty think so I doubt it would wear off so that's one good thing. I would definatly not use it in a gig so I wouldn't need a backup. I'd use my ESP M-II. // 4

Overall Impression: Like I said I play neo classical metal and good old prog metal and any good Strat would suit that style exept for this one. I been playing for 3 years. I also now own an ESP M-II guitar with DiMarzio X2n Pickup on the bridge and DiMarzio the tone zone on the neck. I also own an Engl Fireball which is amazing and a Marshall cab. If this guitar was stolen I'd celebrate and wouldn't think twice to buy it again. I don't like anything about it exept the black finish. Hate everything else. // 5

JT-300 Reviewed by: Zwylde, on december 23, 2010

Price paid: C$ 130

Purchased from: Meriam Music

Features: I got this guitar about 4 years ago when I first started playing. I really didn't know much about it, and I didn't care to look up where it was made or anything like that. It's got 22 jumbo frets on what looks to be a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. Strat body... Look at a picture. // 9

Sound: I've always played a lot of hard rock/metal guitar. The guitar came as part of a package, and I played it with the 6 watt amp it came with for almost 3 years. I now have a Peavey Vypyr 75, and it sounds MUCH better. The sound itself through both amps is very crunchy. I love it! I learned how to do pinch harmonics on this guitar, and they sound incredible every time I do them. The crunch really makes me smile, and I sometimes prefer the sound to my friend's Gibson Explorer. As for the clean. It's pretty warm. No real buzz or hum when you're on the clean channel. I'm not a clean player, but I'd say that the clean sound is probably a little better in comparison to the heavy sound from this guitar. Nothing lacking in either though. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setting was fine, nothing was wrong with it at all, except for electronics. The finish was a nice, dark maroon and it was very nicely polished. Neck was calibrated perfectly, along with the bridge/pickups. Strings were a little cheap, but you can't ask for much for 130$. As for the electronics. The volume knob never worked. It drives me crazy! I've taken it apart and cleaned all the connections numerous times but I just can't seem to get the damn thing to work! When I'm not playing, you get terrible noises from the thing. It is never silent, mostly because I don't have a volume knob. Switching pickups makes weird noises too, but did you expect anything else? 130$ people. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I this guitar could probably withstand live playing, I mean... it wouldn't fall apart or anything. I certainly wouldn't reccomend taking the equivilant of a Squire up on stage to play a live show though, strictly for quality of sound. The hardware seems durable, nothing's broken or chipped or scratched. Strap buttons seem solid, I wouldn't trust them too much though. I can always depend on this guitar to be sitting on my stand and ready to go. I practice with it more than I play my ESP KH-603. It's truly a lot of fun. It comes out of tune pretty quickly once you get bending and stuff, and don't even bother using the whammy bar it comes with... That will 100% throw your strings up to a half step out of tune. The finish has lasted this far, and I can't see it going anywhere. // 4

Overall Impression: Very fun guitar! If you want to out-heavy your friends' Jackson or Dean with a 130$ guitar, then this is the one for you! Guarantee, you will outsqueal anyone and watch people who actually know guitars marvel at how your cruddy Jay Turser is making that noise! I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, and this has been solid and reliable for anything I want to play. It's not the greatest guitar ever made, but that's not to be expected. (remember 130$?) You won't get a guitar that you're able to take on tours or record with, and it's not even that pretty to look at. But if you buy one of these, you will certainly get a whole lot of fun, and a great adventure that certainly makes it all worth it in the end! For 130$, I'd buy this guitar (hopefully with a working volume knob next time) over and over again. If it were stolen... well let's face it, no one's going to steal this guitar. Nobody knows the true adventure it holds but people that have owned and played it. I appreciate this guitar a great deal, and I'm very glad that I own it. It is and has always been my go-to guitar. // 10

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review