JT-50 Review

manufacturer: Jay Turser date: 10/12/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Jay Turser: JT-50
24 frets, 2 volume and tone controls, cast hardware and 2 humbucking pickups, rosewood fingerboard, 3 way pick up control.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Features: 7.6
 8.1
 7.9
 8.2
reviews (8) 19 comments vote for this gear:
JT-50 Reviewed by: granmaladyyoung, on december 09, 2005

Features: I like everything about the guitar espessialy the fact that it is an eye catcher. When I bought it there was also anouther one to choose from. It was the same red but had gold pic ups and accessories, and also pearl finishing on the neck. I think that the gold didnt match and it didnt look as good as mine. I bought a case from the place I bought it but I really want a coffin case. // 8

Sound: Shortly after I bought my guitar I bought a Jay Turser amp. I don't like the sound I get with this amp, but when I go for my lessons, at the same place I bought my guitar, I get great sound with whatever amp we use. I like to play heavy metal stuff but the guitar also sounds great playing surf songs and stuff like Sweet Home Alabama! I also get great sound playing things like Stairway To Heaven with my amp I use flange and distortion but it doesn't sound as good playing at home than at my lessons. I usually get a great rich sound using any effect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Recently I thought I broke my guitar! The amp wire plug in came unscrewed and it fell inside the guitar. Luckily I unscrewed the back and just scewed the front back on with my fingers. I did not like that at all! another thing that agrivates me is that the pic up farthest away from the neck is loose. Not falling off loose but wiggily. Also when I got it one of the strap holders was loose. Other than that everything else was fine and perfect. The finish was great too. I really like the red and how vibrant the color is. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will hold up. I have put it through alot lately! It looks like eventually the tuning pegs are going to have to be replaced but not any time soon, that's for sure. The only thing I don't like is how the strap button is on the back. My strap constantly falls off. I would totally take it on a gig without a back up! And the finish will definatly not wear off with play. I hope to have this guitar for a very long time. I don't think I will ever get rid of it even if I find something better. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play a little of everything. But mostly heavier stuff. Yes it sounds great for playing heavy, but it really sounds it's best playing surf songs and stuff like Sweet Home Alabama and Stairway To Heaven! I like a variety of music and I think it can handle anything. I have had this guitar for a year, and have been taking lessons at yancey for like 6 months. If someone stole it I would be devistated! I would totaly bye another one. My favorite thing about this guitar is that it almost sounds as good as it looks. // 10

JT-50 Reviewed by: Kurt1964, on october 12, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center. Tonawanda, New York

Features: The Jay Turser JT-50 that I own, was made in Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China, in the year of our lord 2011. This JT-50's body is made of Mahogany, and is of a "Double Cut" styling. The neck is also made of Mahogany, with a 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard. All hardware on this guitar is chrome. Starting at the top...This JT-50 boasts of a classic 1950's style headstock featuring Jay Turser's patended signature, along with their "Mother of Pearl" inlay logo. The tuners are non-locking generic ones, accompanied by an ivory nylon nut. Residing on it's fretboard are white nylon "Pearl Dot" fretmarkers. The body's hardware consists of two chrome covered Humbucker Pickups, two tone and two volume controls, one three-way selector switch, a "Tune-O-Matic" adjustable bridge and stop tailpiece and finally, a black plastic pickguard with a highlighted white border resting on a super high-gloss black luster "mirror-like" finish. The guitar came with no extras. // 9

Sound: The "style" of music that I play, varies wildly dependind upon my mood. And this Jay Turser JT-50 is as versitile as my imagination is. In other words, this guitar can keep up with whatever I decide to play. The amp that I use most often with this guitar is my Fender, "Super Champ XD", along with my DigiTech "RP-50 Modeling Guitar Processor". Together, they provide a powerful combination that brings this JT-50 "ALIVE WITH A VENGENCE"! As far as the sound goes... the selector switch set to "Rhythm", provides a "Throaty" bass, while set to "Treble", can be somewhat "Tinny". However, with a little bit of experimentation... this axe can, "growel like a bear and screech like an ealge"! Your talent and imagination is it's ONLY limit. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory "set-up" was disappointing, practically nill. Almost everything had to be re-done from scratch. Bridge, saddles, truss... just about everything was off. Fortunately, the "Guitar Tech" at Guitar Center was an extremely knowelegable and talented professional. He had this JT-50, "up and running" in no time. Other than the issues listed above, everything else was fine. The pick-ups were tuned properly, frets were seated correctly, and all applicable hardware was securely fastened. The finish contains no flaws that I have noticed to date. // 4

Reliability & Durability: When I go out to play a "live" gig, this Jay Turser is usally my first choice. The sound, action and durability of it's overall construction is (in my words) OUTSTANDING! This guitar can withstand an enormous amount of abuse. I personally have dropped it, kicked it, knocked it over and it still comes back for more! As for bringing a back-up with me... I have'nt found a reason yet. The durability of it's finish is "average" though.. nothing special there. It will wear away and chip, just like any other "low-end" guitar. My only problem with durability is: I keep breaking strings. But that's MY problem, NOT the guitars. But the tuners are exceptional though, once it's tuned, it stays tuned. "Will the guitar/hardware last a long time"? Well, as with any other guitar, periodic maintainence is the key to longevity. And that all depends on it's owner. // 8

Overall Impression: Wheather I'm playing "Old Style Punk" or "Country" this Jay Turser JT-50 seems to keep up with me quite well. I'v been playing guitar for several years now, and have owned many a "low-end" guitar in the past; ie) First Act, Daisy, Squire etc... and as far as "low-ends" go, this JT-50 has them all beat! The only thing I wish it had is better pick-ups. The generic Humbuckers are fine, but I'm thinking about changing them to some Alnico P-90's. If it ever disappeared... I'd replace it with the same one straight away. And as for features... it has just about everything I need in a guitar. Overall, for the price and performance this guitar provides... other "low-end" guitars just can't compare. So if you're in the market for an inexpensive, quality guitar, give the Jay Turser JT-50 a serious audition. And as alway's, ROCK ON! // 8

JT-50 Reviewed by: daevyne, on september 06, 2003

Purchased from: Musician's Market Place

Features: Let's see, this piece of 24 fretted piece of arse was made in China in year 2000. Has 2 volume and tone controls. Made with die cast hardware and 2 humbucking pickups. Rosewood fingerboard with maple set neck and the Double cUtaway SG shape. It came with 3 way pick up control and a red Angus Young style finish. The whole piece of arse came with a free set up, but the pickups barely pickup the G and D string. // 6

Sound: I usually play rock, blues and metal simply cos I know my guitar wouldn't be able to handle jazz styles if I tried them. I'm using them on my Fender Princeton and my Fender Sidekick. Both are great amps but it has absolutely terrible sound. The action on it is mega high, so I have to use heavy strings, and buzzes like mad even when I'm just in distortion. It really can't do much of the crazy tricks I've tried to do, fast solos techniques won't work cos the fretboard is uneven, quick pick up changes can be heard so distinctly, and the volume controls are not even close to being sensitive. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were basically as said before, arse. You really can't do anything special when playing solos, etc. I can't really take the guitar and would love smashing it against something big for sometime even though it's the oldest guitar I have. The set up was arse because my G, B and E string always went out of tune. The tuners were fine, it was just my bridge. The action would always be too high causing mega feedback so, I'd have to use heavy gauge strings. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can not really be used for live playing unless it's for simple songs which use one effect through out the whole song or something like punk, etc. The finish is well because it's laminated, transparent cherry red. It probably will last a long time and in terms of durability. Put it this way, if my house was getting robbed I'd rather pick up the 12 ton monster than pick up my katana (which is real and sharp). // 8

Overall Impression: Over all this guitar is arse but great for a beginner due to the mind blowing low price ($250 CAD, about $180 USD) came with a great set up. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and other instruments such as sax and flute for 9. I wouldn't really care much if anything happenned to this guitar however I'd like to at least get enough to save up for something else. The guitar is pretty crappy, weighs a ton and plays like rough toilet paper. It gives the illusion of an Angus Young SG guitar, but can't even begint to compare to it. If you're starting off with little cash, buy it, but it definetely won't last if you get better. // 4

JT-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2004

Features: - Made in China - 22 frets -Rosewood fretboard - Cheap tuners - Humbucking pickups - 2 volume and 2 tone knobs // 8

Sound: I play rock and folk-rock, and this one did the trick. It sounds pretty good as-is, however, I'm considering switching to brand-name pickups. I'm using a Squier 15 practice amp for now and it works great with it. The sounds I've produced with the 'as-is' setup resembles that of the group 'Creed'. Drop D tuning, unfortunately, with the low action causes some ringing to occur, however it can be adjusted at the bridge. After doing so, no more problems. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box, the guitar worked o.k.- the D'Addario strings, however, were too low a guage for me and so playing any chords, espeically bar chords caused the tuning to get sharp. In a nut-shell, the stock strings suck, so look forward to that. The other problem is with some of the tuners, they're pretty crappy and in-sensitive, worth replacing for sure. Trying to get it 100% perfectly in-tune is a little problematic. What did you expect from China? Get something better and you'll be acing! // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is supposedly "lighter than the real SG" from things I've read, however, I've not had a real SG to test that out with. The finish is very nice and can withstand a beating. The strap buttons are well placed and felt padded to preserve the finish. The freboard finish seems a bit thin as already I've worn it off on my most-used frets. It isn't noticable at all unless held up to the light. Maybe in a few years it will have that interesting worn-out look that people shoot for wth their instruments- proving their worth and their years of honorable use. I can depend on this model to do the job definitly, granted you've corrected the tuner problem! // 10

Overall Impression: I liked it from the first time I saw it. The pictures I saw showed gold-plated hardware; however, mine came in silver. I like the SG style, but can't afford a Gibson, and Ephiphone is too cheesy as well. Being a lefty there aren't any other choices really. Samick was an option but they don't make lefty guitars. Jay Turser did and at an affordable price in a styling I like and with quality that will ensure I have this guitar for years to come. Upon modifying it for my personal taste, you couldn't beat it with a Gibson if you tried. I'm quite happy with my purchase and as an 'intermediate' guitar student of 1 year, anyone could appreciate the value and quality of a Jay Turser. // 10

JT-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: I'm an SG and Angus Young fan, and this guitar can hang. The pickups are solid and produce suprising tone for a guitar in this price point. Don't get me wrong, they're no 490s, but miles above the microphonic crap they put on comparable Epiphone SGs. I play through Vintage? 1980s 100 watt acoustic brand solid state combo. I get great tone with the JT-50 and muddy feedback with an Epi. Only real gripe is the pots. They're cheap, don't taper much, and drop off around 3. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: MusicLandCentral set it up prior to shipping and did an excellent job (big kudos to MusicLandCentral/Sanatoga Music). I bought the guitar to practice setup/maintenance, so I've torn it apart and put it back together. Only flaws I found are a bit of stain slop on the neck joint and some crooked screws holding the pickguard and electronics covers on. Fret wire's a bit on the tinny side, but better than most at this price point. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're a starving student on budget that likes SGs and rockin' the Young brother's riffs, then this guitar is for you. I've been playing 10+ years and I've played Gibson SGs, LPs, Ibanez and the big F-er. I tried out the cheaper Epiphone SGs and they don't hold a candle to the JT-50. My wife's made me whittle my collection down to this and an old Yamaha acoustic until I get my degree (and reward myself with an SG Standard and Marshall half stack. If it were stolen I would curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb for a couple hours, then I'd wash my thumb, wipe my tears and go buy another one. At $200 a pop I might just buy second one for kicks. // 10

JT-50 Reviewed by: thewho65, on april 16, 2007

Features: This guitar was made in China and has 22 frets on a nice rosewood fretboard and is basically an SG copy. I can't find out anything on the body but judging by it's weight I'd say plywood. It has the Standard SG layout but for some reason the tone controls aren't that responsive. It's two humbuckers and a Tune-O-Matic. Tuners are generic. It did come with a shit cable and an allen wrench. The finish is very sloppy and prone to chipping relativly large flakes. // 4

Sound: I play (try to) almost evrything within the rock, bues, jazz, and punk genre. Sometimes metal. I haven't really defined what I play. This guitar has okay cleans, but leaves more to be desired. Driven sounds suck due to the fact that I'm running it through an Marshall MG10. I have played it through a Yorkville amp and a Vox, but it's not that much better. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was suprisingly okay from factory. Nothing loose or shakey, at first. Now I'm having trouble with the input constantly falling apart from the inside (washers on the inside fall out of place)I've had to fix this a few times now. The finish as I said is complete rubbish. The flaking is ridiculous. The slightest bump and a huge chunk falls off. And I'm not voilent with it. The pickup selector has held up through rapid switching though. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could gig if you wanted it to. The hardware, besides for the input jack is sturdy. No issues with the nut of bridge. Strap buttons hold up suprisingly well. You could gig without a backup but I wouldn't cause I think this guitar sounds awful. I don't gig and the finish is already suffering massive damage. I can't imagine it gigging. // 8

Overall Impression: I've beeen playing for 3 years now. I don't have a lot of gear, just this guitar, the crap MG, and a nice Yamaha acoustic. If this were stolen I'd laugh my arse off at WHY someone would steal it. If Ihad to do this again, I would have kept my Squier '51, an overall better guitar. Right now I'm looking at getting a Mustang or a Telecaster. I hope that comes into the scene soon because this guitar is just dying for absolutely no reason, and theirs no value or worth enough to bring it back. // 4

JT-50 Reviewed by: Angus_Junior35, on january 07, 2008

Features: This guitar was made in China sometime in 2000. This is SG style guitar features has 22 frets, a mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard and a mohagany neck, 2 humbuckers, 3 way selecter switch, and a Tune-O-Matic bridge, this guitar sounds great. I had to play without an amp for a while, as I had none. The first amp I used was a Ibanez Troubadoure, but soon gave that back to the person I borrowed it from. I am currently playing with a Crate GFX-20, and it sounds great. // 10

Sound: I play mainly rock and roll, like AC/DC, Def Leppard, Kiss, ect. Played with my Crate GFX-20, I get amazing sound from this thing. This has a nice, bright sound, gets easy harmonics, which I love. I mainly bought this at first because I am an Angus fan, but would have gotten this anyway had I known anything about guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I wouldn't know how it was set up from the factory, seeing as I bought it used, but from the place I bought it from, it was perfect. The only problem I've ever had with this guitar is that the input jack keeps coming loose. I've had this guitar for almost a year now, and it hasn't gotten any scratches. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never had a gig anywhere, but I think I would definetly take this with no backup. It has nice hardware, which seems like it will last forever. The strap buttons have never had to be tightened in the year I've had it. I can definetley depend on this guitar, as it has sturdy strap buttons, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and everything else on it is nice and strong. // 10

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this guitar. I'm soon to have and Epi LP-100, but I'm sure this will still be my guitar of choice. I play mainly '80s rock, and I wouldn't suggest anything other than this to someone just starting to play guitar. If this guitar happened to be stolen, broken, or ruined, I would definetly buy another one. // 10

JT-50 Reviewed by: offsetmike, on july 23, 2008

Purchased from: Lightning Joes Guitar Hevan

Features: My JT-50 was made in china, probably in 2006/07. It has a 22 fret rosewood neck and looks just like an original SG. I'm not sure what the body is made of but it seems pretty solid. The model I have had a clear coat that shows off the wood grain. It came loaded with a Tune-O-Matic bridge, two very powerful humbuckers, and a 3-way pickup selector. My only complaints are that the tuners aren't very good, and the input jack loosens up every once in a while. Overall I think it's a pretty tough guitar. // 8

Sound: My playing style as far as electric guitar goes is progressive rock, alternative, and some metal. When I first plugged in this guitar, I was immediately drawn to it's sound. My only complaint would be that it has way too much bass when I'm using a clean channel. I'm using it through a Blackheart BH5H and Boss DS-1 (which I stopped using because I prefer natural tube distortion). it's very versatile at high volumes. Most people complain about the tone knobs not being effective, but you just have to know how to use them. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I wouldn't know how the factory setup was because the people at Lightning Joe's Double check the setup on all of their guitars. Although I did adjust the pickups and action to my liking. The finish had no flaws except for some excess lacquer at the neck and body joint. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've been very rough with this guitar and it hasn't chipped yet. The hardware is still holding up, the strap buttons are very strong, but like I mentioned before the input jack loosens up after a while. I can take this guitar on stage without a backup any day. I'm pretty sure it will last me a very long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I play allot of progressive rock, and things alike. I play allot of Tool, Alice In Chains, and APC. This guitar is just what I was looking for and has a very dark sound that I can't stay away from. I've only been playing for a little over a year but I am a natural tone freak. If this guitar were stolen, I would be very disappointed and start saving up for a new one. // 9

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review