JT-LTCUSTOMDLX Review

8.9
 8.8
reviews (2) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
JT-LTCUSTOMDLX Reviewed by: alex_hnatiuk, on march 17, 2008

Features: This is a Telecaster clone I bought off eBay new for $210CDN shipped. Flamed maple top, maple neck, MOP pickguard, gold hardware. Humbucker in the bridge. Standard Telecaster features; string through bridge tone and volume, 3-way switch, passive electronics. Pretty beautiful looking actually, and built quite well. The frets were all very smooth. 21 fat-ish frets. There is also a cream binding on both top and bottom. Made in China I believe. The tuners are more or less cheapies, which I plan on replacing, and the pickups are unnamed, but sound quite nice. The electronics need some replacing (the volume knob isn't as tapered as I'd like), but it's all here and it all works. // 7

Sound: This thing is astounding for the price paid. The humbucker provides a really good range of sounds in conjunction with the bridge single coil; bridge pickup only delivers a snappy twang much like the real deal, great for alt-rock like Modest Mouse, infact I use this setting whenever I'm doing chordwork as it sounds really snappy. Middle pickup is great for leads and chords, as it delivers body with the HB and brights from the SC. HB only position is very lovely; it's a kind of middy sounding smoothness that is great for clean blues and jazz, or with overdrive, sounds great as a velvetty lead. I was planning on replacing the pickups but after playing it for a while I'm not touching a damn thing (except for tuners and electronics). I run it through a Vox AD30VT combo amp which does everything from cleans to nu-metal rectified distortion and this guitar seems to have been just maaaade for the amp. Very very versatile guitar; people look confused to see such a bright and shiny looking guitar deliver evil sounds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm good friends with a local luthier and guitar maker, and the last time he was over I brought my amp and this guitar down and asked him to try it out (and I put a shirt over the headstock). He played it for a while and asked where I got the money for the guitar, so I showed him that it was a Jay Turser and explained that I paid $210 for it. Needless to say he was very impressed; quality of wood, construction, and tone were all far past his preconceived notions of a $200 guitar (and mine as well). It arrived in good intonation (thought out of tune, being shipped from the states to Canada), and I've not done a single thing to this guitar since I got it (It is now March of 08, and I received the guitar in June of 07). Very well put together guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played a gig with this guitar yet but I've jammed several times and it has only ever been a great guitar. I'd rely on this guitar for sure. It's fallen a few times (family and pets), but you would not know it, the nut is a little chipped, but it doesn't affect the strings or the tuning whatsoever. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, from heavy distortion prog to clean Indie-pop, and it fits all purposes beautifully. It was a little hard to get used to at first; it's a naturally bright guitar (as it is all maple), but now that I'm used to it I use it for everything. I also own a Squier Jagmaster which I bought on a whim (and due to a it being an amazing deal at the pawn shop), and though it's a fun guitar, it doesn't hold a candle wick to the JT. If it were stolen I would not hesitate to replace it (though not before trying to track the SOB thief down first), and based on some clips of me playing this, some of my friends have expressed huuge interest in this (one actually ordered one recently). Not sure what else to say, if you're on a budget, buy this guitar. If you're not on a budget, buy one. // 9

JT-LTCUSTOMDLX Reviewed by: elopez182, on june 06, 2013

Purchased from: Greenshift Music

Features: This guitar is brand new, and made of all places in China. It is designed like a Les Paul. Mahogany body with a quilted Maple top, a Maple neck with Maple fretboard (my personal fave), it's also got the binding and is in cherry sunburst. It sports a humbucker in the neck and a single coil in the bridge, one volume/ tone knobs, and a three way selector switch. The pick-ups are the stcok pick-ups though I will eventually replace the humbucker with an Alnico single coil. The bridge pick-up is as bright and cutting as a Fender Alnico which was a great surprise to me. // 9

Sound: The first thing that caught my eye was the sheer beauty of the guitar, but the price stopped me. Beauty is only skin deep, of course. However, one day I was in Greenshift and I had some extra time so I picked it up and plugged it into a small 6 watt practice amp. What a tone! No effects just a simple volume and tone knobs and the guitar sang like a bird. In the studio, (and live), I use a GT-8 either direct or through a Fender Champ 25. I was surprised at how quiet the guitar was despite the single coils. I barely had to adjust my noise reduction effect. The sound rivals my Fender Teles! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only set up I did to it was to raise my pick-ups a bit (1/16th from the strings on the higher strings/ 1/8th on the bass side). The action was nice and low with no buzz. The neck is like playing on a piece of alabaster it's so smooth. The tuners hold their tune just fine. It's too new to rate the finish yet. The tone and volume knobs roll up and down smoothly and consistently with no big jumps in tone or volume. My only critique is the frets are very, very mildly rougher than I'm accustomed to, but this does not interfere with the playability of the instrument. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has already been debuted live and I've recorded a few things with it. It's dependable and sounds great. It's too new to judge the finish yet, but since it's gold plating I expect it will fade with time, but that's just cosmetics. As a professional musician I am more concerned with sound and playability. I can't say I would use it without a back-up as I ALWAYS bring extra guitars to the gigs (either one of my Fender Teles or my Godin SD, along with my Jackson for slide work). I still can't believe I got something this good for such a low, low price (with hardshell case $340 tax included!) // 9

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music except, bluegrass, heavy jazz, and metal. So far this guitar has held up very, very well. I own two Fender Teles, two Ibanez electrics (a Strat style Blazer and a Joe Satriani), a Hamer, a Jackson for slide work, a Godin SD, and this guitar. So far this guitar has held it's own against them. I use a GT-8 through a Fender Champ 25 amp. I maintain different settings that range from rock-a-billy to heavy rock to light Jazz and this guitar sounds very good with each setting. If this was lost or stolen I would replace it. A wonderful treat and value for the money.

// 10