Shark Review

5.3
review (1) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Shark Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2008

Purchased from: JcPenney

Features: I'm not quite sure about a lot on this guitar but I will share what I do kmow. It has 21 frets, the body of it is a custom design like a lot of Jay Turser guitars. It has 1 humbuckler and two knobs, volume and tone. The one of the Jay Turser site has the humbuckler and two single coil pickups as well as a 5 way Switch so order from the site if you want to purchase this guitar. I think the tuners are locking but I'm not exactly sure first guitar and all. They don't move unless I touch them so I would assume they lock. It comes with the tremolo arm, a small amp, a strap, an 8ft cable, and Gigbag. // 8

Sound: The sound is pretty good considering the price I paid, with only 1 humbuckler you can't expect much variety in your sound but it still gives me a decent amount of choice when plugged into my Marshall MG10CD(awesome beginner amp, pick one up with the guitar instead of using the one they include) I get a nice clean sound from it without the amp and when on the clean channel it sounds good. It doesnt't really give any problems on high volumes, the only time I ever hear static is when my amp is above 9. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: For the most part it's set up pretty good, my only complaint is on the 1/4 jack, it has a bolt on it and the bolt comes loose causing the jack to move forward and backward when it does, this can be fixed by repetitively screwing it back on or taking it out completely and applying some locktite to the thing. I highly suggest the locktite method even though I'm too lazy to do it myself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So far I haven't had any problems with durability, it has slid from a few places and hit other hard objects without denting or scratching. the only time I had any problem with it was my first time attempting to tune to drop d lolz. I tried tuning the low e up instead of down (I'm a newb remember) and a piece of the plastic nut broke off. I was pissed so I called the guitar manufacturer and they said look at the allparts company for a new one. Unfortunately I'm cheap so that wasn't an option. I did however find something interesting online though. Use a thick super glue and combine it with baking soda, let it sit a day or two and presto good as new. it's been over a year since I cracked the nut and repaired it and it's holding strong. The finish kicks ass, painted like a shark and doesnt't seem to wanna come off easily. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall as a first guitar I love this thing, easy to play and get used to. I love the sounds it gives me and the aesthetics are awesome. Would suggest this guitar if you don't want a Fender or les paul clone and would prefer something original. If my guitar ever got stolen or lost I might buy another but not from Jcpenney, I would order from the official site for the extra pickups and 5 way Switch. Once again I only recently started playing and don't have much experience with other guitars (about 30 mins on a Fender starcaster and about 20 with an Epiphone Strat clone) I don't see much differnce between the 3 guitars other than mine lacks the extra pickups and the 5 way Switch but if that really starts to get to me I know someone Who can add them. (sam Ash:p) // 10

More Jay Turser reviews rating category latest review